Pet Therapy

Nikki

I love my Chihuahua and my West Highlander Terrier sooooo much. I love to pet them and I love when they show their affection for me.

My dogs make us fall out laughing ~ great medicine.

When I first went on meds back in 1996, my Silkie Terrier was always there for me during those times of anxiety/depression. Somehow she knew I was having a problem.

There is the responsiblity of caring for them, which would always get me up and moving.

I am a Pet Sitter and just love all animals (except snakes & gators). I enjoy sitting for dogs over my home. They are a loving distraction from lots of stuff including WD....

Shelters need volunteer dog walkers for anyone interested.

Hugs

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

Nikki,

Great message! I, too, love animals and have 2 dogs and 3 horses at my home who force me to get out of my mind. I feel more connected to my dogs as I get farther away from Pristiq, my last SNRI. It is an interesting change and causes me to wonder how that may translate to human relationships.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Nikki,

I love my 3 cats Shiela, KC and Prince. And then there is my clown of a dog Bailey...he makes me laugh so much!!!! He also gets me out of the house for walks. All of my FUR FAMILY give me a reason to get out of bed in the morning, even when I do not want to. And talk about unconditional love. They are the closer to being able to give unconditional love that than any human I have in my life.

On the subject of volunteering. After 9/11, I volunteered my time with an organization that adopted out cats. It was not a glamorous job, but I felt good giving back. Though it was not related to 9/11, it still helped me heal.

Animals are so uncomplicated. You care them etc and they are happy!!!! If I get home after their usual feeding time, they are not angry...but instead express their joy that I have walked through the door. When my W/D symptoms were bad and I yelled at them for some stupid little thing, they reacted to the moment...then it was over. No grudges held... No retaliation planned.

Do not get me wrong, I am not a loner and just hang out with my fur family. I also enjoy my relationships with my friends/family. But my pets are a positive in my life.

Love and Peace

Effexor XL 2009-2012. CT 150mg Effexor XR  2012, Effexor XR  75mg  2012  then rapid taper to 0, Reinstated Effexor XR 13mg then updosed to 20mg, Tapered to 18mg Effexor XR 4/9/12, Off Effexor XL ?Reinstated  Effexor XL 150 mgs  August  2012, Crashed in November 2012, Prozac 40 mgs 2012 to Feb 2018, Buspar 60  mgs 2012-stopped 2015, Remeron 7.5 mgs as needed for sleep-stopped Feb 2017, Prozac 50 mgs Feb 2018 to March 2018, Lexapro 5 mgs March 18 2018 to May 17th 2018, Lexapro 2.5 mgs  May 18th to May 26th 2018, Prozac 10 mgs May 15th 2018, Prozac 5 mgs May 19th 2018 to current day May 28th 2018,  Xanax 0.25 mgs to 0.5 mgs daily for over 15 years. Increased Xanax to 1.5 mgs Sept 2012, Tapered Xanax to 0 mgs  May 2013.Reinstated Xanax Feb 2017 at 0.125 mgs as needed, Gradual increase of Xanax to 1.5 mgs daily till May 22nd 2018, Xanax 1.25 mgs daily. Holding

Our pets can be so healing. I have 3 cats and a dog. I used to have horses. I have also read that the purring of a cat is a healing vibration too. I feel these animals give us a good healing energy with unconditional Love. I also believe in Animal Totems and all animals have a spirit medicine that their energy field blesses to us.

Taper from Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac & Antipsychotics finished June 2012.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• Administrator

Excellent topic. I've moved it to Symptoms because it can help so many people in so many ways.

My theory about cat purring -- it's the way the cat soothes itself and activates it's own parasympathetic (calming) nervous system. It's cat meditation. When they're in that state, their calmness radiates through the vibration....

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

There are a lot of articles on the internet about the healing benefits of a cat pur. I read that vets realized long ago that broken cat bones heal faster than human broken bones and they're linking it to the vibratory frequency of their pur.

Here's one such article.

Purring Helps with Healing

The vibration of a cat's purr can speed up the healing process not only for cats but for other animals as well. Research indicates that even humans can benefit.

Taper from Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac & Antipsychotics finished June 2012.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• Administrator

It sure does feel good to hold a purring cat, or even be near one!

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I lost my 5th pet (Kellie, a corgi beagle mix) in August of 2011. Throughout life I've had a total of 8 pets (still have three) and have always adopted the old, handicapped ones. They have given me such a sense of purpose. I thought I was the one doing them such a favor by taking them in. (I was on ADs for all but the first one).

Going through this process this past month, I see how much more they give us than I ever realized.

When you just don't want to move and they are staring you in face, begging to be let out, how can you ignore them?

How can you not just love them more for sitting there next to you, sleeping at the foot of your bed, being so happy to be with you when you feel so awful about withdrawal??

They keep us grounded and are wonderful. :D

Full vote for the love and healing power of pets.

Years:150mg Wellbutrin (to concentrate) 20-30 mg Celexa (rumination).

CT 8/2011 during a pregnancy attempt under MD orders. (Idiot!!!) Pregnancy hormones allowed it.

Felt great with 6 mg of melatonin per night to sleep plus preggo hormones-didn't last:(

Best time of my life. Botched IVF in Dec 2011.Stress.

Bone chilling exhaustion and told to go back on celexa and wellbutrin.

4/9/2012 Back on celexa wb for some relief, wb gave me heart palps so dropped and only need 6.6 mg celexa and 1/4 melatonin pill...IMPROVEMENT because my doses are much lower!

REMEMBER to get your thyroid and hormones checked/out of whack ones can appear LIKE MOOD DISORDERS!!

Alto maybe we should all use purring as a Mantra and Meditate

Love the way they sound.

My Westie sings (it is a breed thingy) and we die laughing whenever she does it :D

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

I miss cats :(

Always had cat/s until we got 2 lab pups who chased cat mercilessly - under bed or up cat tree - never succeeded in harmonious dog/cat living and miss them very much -

On a bigger note - the other nite my too-empowered horse opened sliding glass door and walked completely into living room while we were watching TV - surprised he didn't pick up the remote and turn on HorseChannel -

Probably a good thing I don't have human kids ;)

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Barbarannamated,

I just about fell out of my chair laughing!!! What a shock that must have been to find your horse making himself at home in your TV room. What a character he must be; smart too. Thank you for sharing.

My 3 cats and dog are compatable most of the time. I feel blessed. My cat Shiela often lies above my head at night and purrs. It is so comforting and helps me fall asleep.

I also haved owned a couple of horses. What I got from them was an "aura" of strength and energy. I think animals do have an energy they pass on to us.

Effexor XL 2009-2012. CT 150mg Effexor XR  2012, Effexor XR  75mg  2012  then rapid taper to 0, Reinstated Effexor XR 13mg then updosed to 20mg, Tapered to 18mg Effexor XR 4/9/12, Off Effexor XL ?Reinstated  Effexor XL 150 mgs  August  2012, Crashed in November 2012, Prozac 40 mgs 2012 to Feb 2018, Buspar 60  mgs 2012-stopped 2015, Remeron 7.5 mgs as needed for sleep-stopped Feb 2017, Prozac 50 mgs Feb 2018 to March 2018, Lexapro 5 mgs March 18 2018 to May 17th 2018, Lexapro 2.5 mgs  May 18th to May 26th 2018, Prozac 10 mgs May 15th 2018, Prozac 5 mgs May 19th 2018 to current day May 28th 2018,  Xanax 0.25 mgs to 0.5 mgs daily for over 15 years. Increased Xanax to 1.5 mgs Sept 2012, Tapered Xanax to 0 mgs  May 2013.Reinstated Xanax Feb 2017 at 0.125 mgs as needed, Gradual increase of Xanax to 1.5 mgs daily till May 22nd 2018, Xanax 1.25 mgs daily. Holding

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy