Is this possible

compsports

You may or may not know but I continue to have problems sleeping on the cpap machine. I wake up several times and have difficulty getting back to sleep.

Someone I have been corresponding with who has had similar problems pointed out that people who don't have insomnia can wake up several times but easily get back sleep without even remembering it. If I understand her correctly, she said with CBT and sleep restriction therapy, she was able to train herself to do this.

I have been thinking alot about what she said. One night when I slept off of the machine, that did happen. But mostly, when I wake up whether on or off of the machine, I will lie there for a few minutes hoping I go back to sleep. Unfortunately, I seem to become more alert after several more minutes and find I have to get up and pace to calm myself down.

Can anyone relate to this? Is the inability to easily get back to sleep due to being on psych meds? By the way, when I am on the cpap and wake up, I have the same feelings I had when I was going through withdrawal. It almost feels like a cortisol dump is taking place.

If anyone has succeed in getting easily back to sleep, how did you do it? I have tried playing a relaxing tape but found it annoying:)

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

Oh I hate the wake ups in the middle of the night. I am familiar with every minute of the middle of the night as well. I am not a cpap user but when I was cortisol dumping I found that directing my mind to something relaxing and pleasant would sometimes work for me to sort of bring myself into a dream. It would sometimes work, but other nights I would just lay there trying to relax and go back to sleep with no luck.

When directing myself to relax, I would consciously not think about being awake, instead trying to think myself into a dream, like day dreaming, but also telling myself how comfortable and great it is to be in my cozy bed. I would then think about things like exploring a forest, or walking on an uncluttered beach. I had heard a few relaxation tapes about doing this kind of guided imagery, but listening to tapes when I am trying to go to sleep makes me very alert because I am listening for what they are going to say next. No way am I going to sleep in the middle of something. I prefer to listen to the tape when I am actually awake, to learn what to do when I need to pull myself into sleep.

I think getting up and being physically active tells my body it's time to get up. I can't do much more than go potty with the lights off or I will be up several hours.

Good sleep is what makes us feel human again, I hope you find it soon! :D

R

Thanks R for responding.

I just realized I am focusing on the wrong issue. I think it is because I am waking up every hour to 90 minute to full alertness on the machine that is the problem. So it really doesn't matter if I get back to sleep within a few minutes because all those awakenings are a big time sleep destroyer.

Unfortunately, I have found no good answers for why that is occurring and fear I won't.

Sigh!

CS

Oh I hate the wake ups in the middle of the night. I am familiar with every minute of the middle of the night as well. I am not a cpap user but when I was cortisol dumping I found that directing my mind to something relaxing and pleasant would sometimes work for me to sort of bring myself into a dream. It would sometimes work, but other nights I would just lay there trying to relax and go back to sleep with no luck.

When directing myself to relax, I would consciously not think about being awake, instead trying to think myself into a dream, like day dreaming, but also telling myself how comfortable and great it is to be in my cozy bed. I would then think about things like exploring a forest, or walking on an uncluttered beach. I had heard a few relaxation tapes about doing this kind of guided imagery, but listening to tapes when I am trying to go to sleep makes me very alert because I am listening for what they are going to say next. No way am I going to sleep in the middle of something. I prefer to listen to the tape when I am actually awake, to learn what to do when I need to pull myself into sleep.

I think getting up and being physically active tells my body it's time to get up. I can't do much more than go potty with the lights off or I will be up several hours.

Good sleep is what makes us feel human again, I hope you find it soon! :D

R

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy