SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Diabetes/Insulin Issues

alexjuice

GI issues have plagued me for a long while. I've developed more problems with insulin and blood sugar in w/d. The odd thing is that, when I took medication, I ate horrifically at times. I had sweet cravings and would eat half a cake without help in a sitting. I had several periods where I gained weight rapidly (90 lbs in 9 months in one instance) and had to change medications. I also drank thousands of calories a week, on average, in sugar-rich beer for many years. But I never had to alter my habits because of diabetic concerns. Now, two years off meds and 80+ pounds lighter, I am having problems.

I am concerned for myself. I know the finding diabetes with antidepressants is not uncommon. I'm curious, if people are willing to share, how people have dealth with hypoglycemia, insulin resistance, Diabetes generally or as part of withdrawal. How are you dealing with these issues today?

Hope everyone is feeling well today.

Alex

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

GI issues have plagued me for a long while. I've developed more problems with insulin and blood sugar in w/d. The odd thing is that, when I took medication, I ate horrifically at times. I had sweet cravings and would eat half a cake without help in a sitting. I had several periods where I gained weight rapidly (90 lbs in 9 months in one instance) and had to change medications. I also drank thousands of calories a week, on average, in sugar-rich beer for many years. But I never had to alter my habits because of diabetic concerns. Now, two years off meds and 80+ pounds lighter, I am having problems.

I am concerned for myself. I know the finding diabetes with antidepressants is not uncommon. I'm curious, if people are willing to share, how people have dealth with hypoglycemia, insulin resistance, Diabetes generally or as part of withdrawal. How are you dealing with these issues today?

Hope everyone is feeling well today.

Alex

I have had issues with insulin resistance for years. Stress is definitely a big killer when it comes to blood sugars. Stability in life helps a lot also. The only thing that has helped is exercise. I've lost 50 lbs in the past year. Unfortunately, in these times, stability is a luxury.

History:

1995--Prozac--Quit CT by GP

1995--Effexor--Quit per my GP

1996--Amitriphene--Quit CT when changed GP

2005--Citalopram and BusPar. Prescribed when I decompensated in my GP's office. GP referred me to behavior health. Psychiatrist prescibed these drugs. Taken off citalopram in 2011 due to FDA warning. Quit Buspar during transition to viibryd.

Viibryd--2011 to present. Had a severe reaction in March 2012. Advised both GP and Psychiatrist I was trying to get off these drugs.

Hey Alex,

I was borderline diabetic in labs in January. Endocrinologist gave me metformin but I haven't taken it. Anytime a drug is touted as 'safe' the red flags go up.

I think diet, exercise and possibly magnesium are least offensive options, especially for something that may be transient.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Hey Alex,

I was borderline diabetic in labs in January. Endocrinologist gave me metformin but I haven't taken it. Anytime a drug is touted as 'safe' the red flags go up.

I think diet, exercise and possibly magnesium are least offensive options, especially for something that may be transient.

Metformin is relatively safe. At least you don't have the dangers of Avandia or Actos.

History:

2005--Citalopram and BusPar. Prescribed when I decompensated in my GP's office. GP referred me to behavior health. Psychiatrist prescibed these drugs. Taken off citalopram in 2011 due to FDA warning. Quit Buspar during transition to viibryd.

Viibryd--2011 to present. Had a severe reaction in March 2012. Advised both GP and Psychiatrist I was trying to get off these drugs.

Hey Alex,

Metformin is relatively safe. At least you don't have the dangers of Avandia or Actos.

Most common side effects are upset stomach and hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). Better that than bladder cancer (Actos) or Liver damage (Avandia)

History:

I have lots of metabolic issues too...and they HAVE gotten worse since I withdrew...though I've also been able to get them largely in check. (that's the good news, I guess)

I actually wrote about diabetes etc the other day and I didn't share it here because I thought it might not be a common problem here since ADs are less implicated...and yes...it's *less* implicated as we know the do mess with metabolism...

In any case this is the post I wrote:

Are You At Risk For Diabetes and Obesity? If you’ve taken or take psychiatric drugs the answer is YES

http://beyondmeds.com/2012/04/18/diabetesobesity/

and yeah, the title says it all...it has struck me over the years that ANYONE who has taken pretty much any class of psych drug is at higher risk and more likely to have issues with insulin resistance....I don't really know why.

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

• 3 weeks later...

Im not shocked to find this thread here to be honest, i am off Paxil now for one year, and during my slow taper my blood sugars were always on the high side of normal,

they told me from the fasting blood results that i was at risk of developing diabetes within 10yrs.

I am checked every 12months and have a fasting blood sugar test, the most recent was last Wednesday, i am waiting the results.

Problem is, there is NO history of it in my family, I am most definately NOT overweight, eat NO cake, biscuits or any refined sugars, colas etc etc.

And the symptoms of HYpo and Hyper glyceamia - or in fact diabetes are very similar to the symptoms we suffer in wd.

Today has been a bad day for me in this respect, after having some better days, so im wondering how much of my issues now are down to Blood Sugar??

Although i DO know what Created it and WILL n ever make allowances for that fact.

ITS PURE PAXIL -------- Seroxat induced.

I will of course report back with my blood results within the next couple of days when i get them.

Began taking 30mg Seroxat on 15th Jan 1997 for grief issues. Remained at that dosage until Dec 05, did doctor ct, akathesia set in along with being non functional and overly emotional, brain fog. Doctor prescribed prozac, propranelol and diazeapam to counteract side effects, and told me to ct those 3 after 2.5/3 months use, induced wd seizure on 2nd day after ct. Was reinstated on seroxat 20mg in april 06, remained at that dose until Nov 07 and began a very slow taper lasting 56 months, finally DRUG FREE on 11th may 2011.

• Administrator

My blood sugar level went up after Paxil, but over the years it's gone down.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi Guys,

As promised here is the results of my blood sugar testing i had done last week, they also followed it up with cholesterol testing too,

Blood Sugar was 5.5 ---- have to admit, i didnt fast for it, and had a cup of tea on that morning, so i dont know wether it would have been lower than this, had i had nothing at all.

Cholesterol was 5.3 ...... o googled and found anywhere between 5.2 and 6.6 to be the average normal here in the UK.

Does this mean?? im no longer at risk of diabetes??? as they told me all these years while i was tapering that my levels were too high and i was at risk???

If nothing else, i guess i CAN relax for now lol ---I HOPE

Began taking 30mg Seroxat on 15th Jan 1997 for grief issues. Remained at that dosage until Dec 05, did doctor ct, akathesia set in along with being non functional and overly emotional, brain fog. Doctor prescribed prozac, propranelol and diazeapam to counteract side effects, and told me to ct those 3 after 2.5/3 months use, induced wd seizure on 2nd day after ct. Was reinstated on seroxat 20mg in april 06, remained at that dose until Nov 07 and began a very slow taper lasting 56 months, finally DRUG FREE on 11th may 2011.

Hi Guys,

As promised here is the results of my blood sugar testing i had done last week, they also followed it up with cholesterol testing too,

Blood Sugar was 5.5 ---- have to admit, i didnt fast for it, and had a cup of tea on that morning, so i dont know wether it would have been lower than this, had i had nothing at all.

Cholesterol was 5.3 ...... o googled and found anywhere between 5.2 and 6.6 to be the average normal here in the UK.

Does this mean?? im no longer at risk of diabetes??? as they told me all these years while i was tapering that my levels were too high and i was at risk???

If nothing else, i guess i CAN relax for now lol ---I HOPE

My experience with H1A testing is that plain water is the only acceptable drink while fasting. So it is possible that the numbers might have been lower.

History:

• Administrator

angie, did your blood sugar go up or down compared to your last test?

Did you have sugar with your tea?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Chris Kresser has a really good post that helps one ascertain their blood sugar issues AT HOME.

Really, one can learn only certain things from standard testing from a doctors office.

http://chriskresser.com/how-to-prevent-diabetes-and-heart-disease-for-16

it's a very helpful info sheet and how to...

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

This Friday I will be doing the two hour sugar test where you fast and you have to drink this terrible orange fizzy type drink. They draw your blood before and after the drink to see how your body responds to the sugar.

My mother and brother and type 2. Since being on Pristiq, I have become so lazy so it's no wonder my sugars are a little elevated.

Rosie

2009 Efexor 75mg tapered twice

November 2011 Pristiq 50 mg

January 2012 Pristiq 100 mg, became very dizzy and anxious with a lot negative thinking! Ear aches, eye pain, headaches, bruxism, night sweats.

Currently on 30 mg of compounded Pristiq