SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

vaseadude: Anyone went through Risperdal (Risperidone) withdrawal?

vaseadude

• Moderator Emeritus

vaseadude,

I just want to add that there are times when I feel confident that I'll make it. Then, there are times when I get scared and wonder if I won't be able to complete this nightmarish journey. All these feelings are normal during the WD process. It's the drugs and not us, I had to be reassured constantly when I first found this forum.

I'm far from being well or through with Risperdal. But I intend to keep going. Go slowly...

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vaseadude

• GiaK

• tezza

• Altostrata

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Alto for the suggestion and encouragement. Ive just changed my signature. And thanks Tezza for sharing your experience!

Yes, it seems that these symptoms cycle like waves. But I guess that is normal for WD. Just have to remember that its the meds not me and my nervous system will soon stabilise on this dose. Its been 47 days since the switch and I did not expect it to be so unstable for so long. Hope it will soon stabilize...

I also wonder, can there be another reason for this instability? Or maybe I could work on other things for improving faster?

I am using a 3ml syringe for the drug, and the dose can oscilate +- 0.01ml... i guess that shouldnt be a factor, no? If it could, I could get a smaller syringe.

Or maybe some other things could be influencing? like diet and exercize. My diet is not regular, I can eat 3-5 times a day, sometimes at intervals of 3-7 hours.. Is that a big deal? I guess It could be... Then there is the exercize, when I feel well I tend to keep myself moving and when I feel fatigued I can lye in bed all day.. Then I do chi gung (qigong) and breathing exercises too, maybe they could also make it less stable..? I could ask about them in a separate topic though, to see if anyone else finds them helpful.

Also wanted to attach this pic just for fun :) :

post-742-0-97787800-1338147077_thumb.png

2008 - started taking Risperidone.

In 2014 tried to taper it, taperred it to 1mg during several months then abruptly stopped, ended up in the hospital. 

2014-2015  -  been off meds 3 times, all 3 times ended in the hospital and was put back on them.

13 Jun 2016 - went  from 2 mg Risperidone to 1.5mg

• Administrator

vaseadude, look around for oral syringes with more precise markings. Danish brand Bexa seems to be very precise.

Yes, try to be regular in all your habits. Your nervous system thrives on stability. Eating irregularly can affect the way you feel. Try to get at least 30 minutes of walking as exercise every day.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Alto, will try. Thanks!

In 2014 tried to taper it, taperred it to 1mg during several months then abruptly stopped, ended up in the hospital. 

2014-2015  -  been off meds 3 times, all 3 times ended in the hospital and was put back on them.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again!

I am thinking about starting my first taper tomorrow, but as this is my first taper, I am not sure if I am ready to do it and I am a little afraid.

Firstly, I still am not feeling all that great from the switch to oral two months ago, but my anxiety has decreased and my depression too. I do however still feel fatigue or sleepiness. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt that one can feel 100% on these meds, so I tend to think to give the first taper a try. Ill try a 10% reduction, I'll see how I feel, if my symptoms are too severe, I will go back on the previous dose; if the symptoms are a little worse, I will try to wait it out; If I dont feel worse at all or even feel better, well, I hope that is what will happen :).

Is there something else that I need to know before my first taper? Please share. If not, you can wish me luck ;)

That sounds reasonable Vaseadude...

if you've not seen the article that Rhi contributed the other day it might be good food for thought as you start your taper too...

The slowness of slow tapers:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2364-the-slowness-of-slow-tapers/

I shared it on my blog as well because it's filled with good things to consider...I thought it an important addition to the literature on withdrawal, of which there is too little.

you can see my comments on her post here: http://beyondmeds.com/2012/06/06/slowtaper/

and I'll wish you GOOD LUCK as well!!

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

• Administrator

Sounds like a good plan to me, vaseadude. The sleepiness and fatigue may be a side effect of the Risperdal.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 2 weeks later...

Hey People!

I need your help! Yesterday Ive switched to a new bottle of risperdal and I began feeling bad side effects like increase of anxiety in public, headache, eye contraction or pressure between and behind eyes, irritability, nervousness... This 'pressure behind eyes' seems to get worsened outside or with people. What exactly is that?

So because I get side effects every time I switch the bottle (same dose) I think maybe I should shake it before use. I will try that tomorrow and wait a few days to stabilize.

I am only afraid what to do if the effects get worse... I am worried about that... usually if I have a plan I feel more confident, but this uncertainty scares me.. like what if i annot make it and this sort. I already recognize this rumination and I know its the drugs not me. I did also discovered an effective way to quite the anxiety by practicing deep abdominal breathing. But I need to know my options before hand.

Anyway, the question is: if I still have negative effects that are too much, will an increase in dose to the previous work, considering that shakiness of bottle is a factor? (i switched dose on the 9th of June)

I mean I will try to shake the bottle every day now and wait for the symptoms to stabilize again, but in case my symptoms get too severe, what should I do?

Peace!

V

• Administrator

Hi, vaseadude. Yes, it may need to be shaken. Check with the pharmacist. A lot of these liquids are suspensions (little particles in liquid) and they may settle with the drug on the bottom.

Verify with the pharmacist that the medication you got is the correct dosage, not expired, etc.

Another think I found is that if I've used up a bottle that's a couple of months old and get a new bottle, I can feel the difference. I think it's because my system got used to the old, aging liquid, which might have gotten a little weaker.

The transition from old liquid to new liquid always took a couple of days getting used to.

my experience with risperdal liquid is that it was extremely stable and I didn't need to shake it...it also lasts a long time...it's not made at a compounding pharmacy.

I used a 3 year old bottle and it held up just fine..

that said, I don't doubt your experience I just don't know what to attribute it to

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

Thanks guys!

Ill see how fast I get used to the new bottle.

In the meantime I'll just hang around at home, since going outside makes my symptoms worse.

Hi guys,

It seems like my symptoms are getting worse, I now have fever-like symptoms as well.

I actually saw that my symptoms increased a day before the bottle switch. Can it be withdrawal symptoms a week after decreasing the dose?

If so, is it not too late to switch back to the previous dose now, after 13 days? Maybe I culd just go up 5 %? what do you think? Or maybe I should wait till the symptoms go away? Im confused.

Please help!

yes, withdrawal can take a week or more to manifest...

how much of a cut did you make? If it was 10% or less of your total dose it's up to you to determine how bad your symptoms are. There are really no rules here...and going extra slow is never frowned upon...

so whether or not you add a wee bit back or wait it out is really dependent on what your body feels is a good thing.

if you can recover completely between cuts, though, that is the best thing.

• Administrator

It's not too late to go back up a bit in dosage, vaseadude. You might not have to go all the way back.

my experience with risperdal liquid is that it was extremely stable and I didn't need to shake it...it also lasts a long time...it's not made at a compounding pharmacy.

I used a 3 year old bottle and it held up just fine..

that said, I don't doubt your experience I just don't know what to attribute it to

I was using a custom-compounded liquid, these might degrade faster.

yes, the custom compounds degrade much faster!

when I've had compounds made at a compounding pharmacy they last only a couple of months.

Gianna, the decrease was 10%.

if you can recover completely between cuts, though, that is the best thing.

Can you tell me what you mean by this sentence? I did not quite get it... Did you mean that if the symptoms are tolerable and I stabilise its the way to go?

How long does it usually take to stabilize? Or is it different for each person? Also, if I up the dose, will it take also about week to feel the effects or is it instantly?

I mean that if you can stabilize before your next cut that is best and really highly recommended.

and yes, you guessed it, it's different for everyone. generally, as a rule, I say wait at least 2 weeks regardless of whether you're having symptoms or not. Then at 2 weeks you can determine whether you've stabilized or not and then proceed accordingly -- maybe waiting longer, maybe making another cut.

and as far as adding a bit...I found that generally when I did that I got some relief quite quickly...but again, that will be different not just person to person but every time you do it...our bodies are ever changing...

this journey isn't for wimps.. :)

this journey isn't for wimps.. :)

I like that. :)

What about my other question: If I increase the dose, how long should the effects kick in? is it the same, about one week?

I did answer that too:

and as far as adding a bit...I found that generally when I did that I got some relief quite quickly...but again, that will be different not just person to person but every time you do it...our bodies are ever changing...

Oh sorry Gianna, I missed it. Its hard to absorb everything esp when you have this side effects, plus im a little tired and ready to go to bed soon (its night here)... :rolleyes:

and yes, you guessed it, it's different for everyone. generally, as a rule, I say wait at least 2 weeks regardless of whether you're having symptoms or not. Then at 2 weeks you can determine whether you've stabilized or not and then proceed accordingly -- maybe waiting longer, maybe making another cut.

Is the two week period also true for tapering an antipsychotic taken for 4 years? I read in the Icarus guide and also as Peter Breggin Suggests, the cuts in this case should be every two months so maybe its different in this case?

Thanks again tons for the help! I really dont know what I would have done if it wasn't for you. Its really supportive to have such resources. Its helping me a lot.

it can certainly go much longer and often did for me...there are no hard and fast rules...if you're feeling it too much slow down...Icarus project guide and Breggin both say that it MAY need to go that slow...and in the long run it will on occasion quite often be a couple of months...

and no need to apologize...my brain is still scrambled too and I'm just as likely to miss something YOU'VE said.

take care.

• Administrator

vaseadude, this is what we mean by listening to your body. If withdrawal symptoms lessen over 2 weeks and clear up by the 4th week, you're stabilized enough for another cut.

If withdrawal symptoms stay the same or get worse over 2 weeks, you might want to increase slightly and wait until symptoms go away to make another decrease.

Ideally, we want close to no withdrawal symptoms when tapering. This makes the rate of taper different for everyone.

I thought I'd update my journal with a few lines.

Last Sunday I upped the dose a little bit (from 1.8 to 1.9) so it is a 5% reduction. Felt better the first day. This week been feeling slightly better, although in the evening I usually got headache and eye pain (in the third eye as well). Today was the first day with no headache but still when I go outside I still have anxiety. I wonder if it will go away as I stabilise more on this dose. Really hope it does.

I am also doing deep breathing and chi gung every day practice, that seems to make me more relaxed and calms me down. The deep abdominal breathing after a while makes me so relaxed that my eye movements slow down to barely noticeable (I have eye tension from these meds).

Thanks again for your help last week as you can see it helped me get on a better level!

• Administrator

Excellent, vaseadude.

If I may suggest, wear dark glasses outside. Your eyes may be hypersensitive to bright light. This can happens sometimes in withdrawing.

Again, 1 week later, Im having terrible symptoms today. I upped the dose a little, and I felt fine right away for one week. Is that possible that a week later I get the symptoms? even on an increased dose?

or is it just the stressed that i had today that might have triggered them? cos i had some anxiety caused by an invitation to a friend to go outside. i just couldnt go because of the anxiety...

• Administrator

Could you describe your symptoms in more detail? Are you supposed to be taking Risperdal for anxiety?

Thanks for replying Alto!

I was prescribed risperdal because I had a psychotic episode 4 yhrs ago. Havent had any relapse since then, so I decided to taper it.

Today, a friend of mine invited me to go outside and I started having anticipatory anxiety, it was pretty bad so I decided not to go. The anxiety dimineshed a bit, but a little is still there, but also other symptoms appeared. Nervousness, a headache (heavyness, in the front side of the brain), fever-like sensation and disorientation.

Hope it helps to clarify.

After a few hours I feel better. The fever-like and disorientation have reduced.

Also to the post above I'd like to add that I don't go outside usually very often and far from my house, ever since I had severe anxiety when I switched from injections to oral. I go outside sometimes, but more than not I feel tense when I do.

I think I might just stay longer on this current dose and see if my anxiety improves, at least a month maybe. What do you think? Are there other tools to improve this anxiety?

• Administrator

It's a good idea to stabilize before decreasing further.

Have you tried dark glasses outside and reducing light stimulation indoors?

I am trying to decrease light exposure. What kind of dark grasses are you talking about, will regular sunglasses do? Im wearing them as I go out, it may be a little better, but I really can't say for sure. Also I have noticed that I cannot watch TV for long (20 min max), I get nervous and tense in my forehead. Really hard to stay long at the computer also. That could be the same symptom, no?

Today I took an insulin precision syringe and measured the amount I take via the oral syringe from the bottle, did several tests. So the 1.9 ml was actually 1.94-1.96, one time it was also 1.98. I was rather stunned it was not really 1.9 constant. Maybe I should use the precision insulin syringe instead of the Janssen oral syringe to minimise fluctuations? But since my dose is actually higher with the insulin syringe, I should probably use 1.95. Do you think that is a good idea?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi vaseadude,

I'm sorry you're having such a rough time. Risperdal is a horrible drug to come off. I also have a hard time getting out but it's not due to light in my case. I just don't want to go anywhere. It has improved though and I'm going out some but I don't feel I can go out alone. I hope you feel better soon.

Love,

Tezza

• Administrator

Sure, use the most precise measurement. You may go through an adjustment period if one syringe measures differently from the other.

You may wish to use dark glasses inside also, when you watch TV or use the computer. Outside, use the darkest possible -- brown or amber tints may work best.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all!

I've been doing relatively good these days, I went to the country for the weekend and relaxed a bit in that environment with fresh air.

Gianna has pointed out the importance of gut health in WD before, so I have been thinking these days of how to approach my long time constant diarrhea problem. It has been like that for years since I started the meds. And it dawned on me today that if I find a way to take care of this problem I might get more nutrients from food that otherwise I dont get, and that could help my body face the withdrawal better.

I have heard on this forum of the GAPS diet, and also enzymes or probiotics? but honestly I haven't researched them thoroughly yet. I wonder what is the best way to approach a gut problem.

• Administrator

You might consider testing for celiac disease; alternatively you could try a food challenge where you eliminate proteins like gluten, casein (dairy protein), soy, peanuts, tree nuts, fin fish and shell fish, and eggs from you diet and then add them back one at a time. You keep a diary to identify what foods trigger reactions and you will want to avoid those.

If you have celiac disease or gluten intolerance and you have leaky gut http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA361058/what-is-leaky-gut.html then it is possible that dairy and soy also cause a reaction in your system. Once you are able to heal your gut and improve your absorption you may be able to eat dairy and soy again.

In the US I would tell you to find a nutritionist to work with, but since you are in Europe, I not sure how to tell you to proceed.

Do some research on leaky gut and see what kind of resources you can find.

Love and light,

2007 @ 375 mg Effexor - 11/29/2011 - 43.75 mg Effexor (regular) & .625 mg Xanax

200 mg Gabapentin 2/27/21 - 194.5 mg, 5/28/21 - 183 mg, 8/2/21 - 170 mg, 11/28/21 - 150 mg, 4/19/22 - 122 mg; 8//7/22 - 100 mg; 12/17 - 75mg; 8/17 - 45 mg; 10/16 40 mg
Xanax taper: 3/11/12 - 0.9375 mg, 3/25/12 - 0.875 mg, 4/6/12 - 0.8125 mg, 4/18/12 - 0.75 ; 10/16 40mg;

1/16 0.6875 mg; at some point 0.625 mg
Effexor taper: 1/29/12 - 40.625 mg, 4/29/12 - 39.875 mg, 5/11/12 - Switched to liquid Effexor, 5/25/12 - 38 mg, 7/6/12 - 35 mg, 8/17/12 - 32 mg, 9/14/12 - 30 mg, 10/19/12 - 28 mg, 11/9/12 - 26 mg, 11/30/12 - 24 mg, 01/14/13 - 22 mg. 02/25/13 - 20.8 mg, 03/18/13 - 19.2 mg, 4/15/13 - 17.6 mg, 8/10/13 - 16.4 mg, 9/7/13 - 15.2 mg, 10/19/13 - 14 mg, 1/15/14 - 13.2 mg, 3/1/2014 - 12.6 mg, 5/4/14 - 12 mg, 8/1/14 - 11.4 mg, 8/29/14 - 10.8 mg; 10/14/14 - 10.2 mg; 12/15/14 - 10 mg, 1/11/15 - 9.5 mg, 2/8/15 - 9 mg, 3/21/15 - 8.5 mg, 5/1/15 - 8 mg, 6/9/15 - 7.5 mg, 7/8/15 - 7 mg, 8/22/15 - 6.5 mg, 10/4/15 - 6 mg; 1/1/16 - 5.6 mg; 2/6/16 - 5.2 mg; 4/9 - 4.8 mg; 7/7 4.5 mg; 10/7 4.25 mg; 11/4 4.0 mg; 11/25 3.8 mg; 4/24 3.6 mg; 5/27 3.4 mg; 7/8 3.2 mg ... 10/18 2.8 mg; 1/18 2.6 mg; 4/7 2.4 mg; 5/26 2.15mg; 8/18 1.85 mg; 10/7 1.7 mg; 12/1 1.45 mg; 3/2 1.2 mg; 5/4 0.90 mg; 6/1 0.80 mg; 6/22 0.65 mg; 08/03 0.50 mg, 08/10 0.45 mg, 10/05 0.325 mg, 11/23 0.2 mg, 12/14 0.15 mg, 12/21 0.125 mg, 02/28 0.03125 mg, 2/15 0.015625 mg, 2/29/20 0.00 mg - OFF Effexor

I am not a medical professional - this is not medical advice. My suggestions are based on personal experience, reading, observation and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers