vaseadude: Anyone went through Risperdal (Risperidone) withdrawal?

vaseadude

• Administrator

vaseadude, do you drink milk? This can cause a lot of problems. If you drink it, you might eliminate it from your diet and see if that helps.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vaseadude

• GiaK

• tezza

• Altostrata

Top Posters In This Topic

Karma, thanks for the reply. Its hard to picture a diet without all those items. Do you have more information on this challenge? like what to eat, what to avoid, and how long to wait for to include each one etc?

Thanks, Alto! I rarely drink milk, like once a week. I mostly drink kefir and eat yogurt. And very rarely I drink raw goat milk, when I can get some.

What about probiotics versus a diet change? DO they work? Do they have downsides?

2008 - started taking Risperidone.

In 2014 tried to taper it, taperred it to 1mg during several months then abruptly stopped, ended up in the hospital. 

2014-2015  -  been off meds 3 times, all 3 times ended in the hospital and was put back on them.

13 Jun 2016 - went  from 2 mg Risperidone to 1.5mg

• Administrator

I found probiotics helpful. Try the kind that's refrigerated.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Administrator

Let me see what I can find about the food challenge (which is what I described).

2007 @ 375 mg Effexor - 11/29/2011 - 43.75 mg Effexor (regular) & .625 mg Xanax

200 mg Gabapentin 2/27/21 - 194.5 mg, 5/28/21 - 183 mg, 8/2/21 - 170 mg, 11/28/21 - 150 mg, 4/19/22 - 122 mg; 8//7/22 - 100 mg; 12/17 - 75mg; 8/17 - 45 mg; 10/16 40 mg
Xanax taper: 3/11/12 - 0.9375 mg, 3/25/12 - 0.875 mg, 4/6/12 - 0.8125 mg, 4/18/12 - 0.75 ; 10/16 40mg;

1/16 0.6875 mg; at some point 0.625 mg
Effexor taper: 1/29/12 - 40.625 mg, 4/29/12 - 39.875 mg, 5/11/12 - Switched to liquid Effexor, 5/25/12 - 38 mg, 7/6/12 - 35 mg, 8/17/12 - 32 mg, 9/14/12 - 30 mg, 10/19/12 - 28 mg, 11/9/12 - 26 mg, 11/30/12 - 24 mg, 01/14/13 - 22 mg. 02/25/13 - 20.8 mg, 03/18/13 - 19.2 mg, 4/15/13 - 17.6 mg, 8/10/13 - 16.4 mg, 9/7/13 - 15.2 mg, 10/19/13 - 14 mg, 1/15/14 - 13.2 mg, 3/1/2014 - 12.6 mg, 5/4/14 - 12 mg, 8/1/14 - 11.4 mg, 8/29/14 - 10.8 mg; 10/14/14 - 10.2 mg; 12/15/14 - 10 mg, 1/11/15 - 9.5 mg, 2/8/15 - 9 mg, 3/21/15 - 8.5 mg, 5/1/15 - 8 mg, 6/9/15 - 7.5 mg, 7/8/15 - 7 mg, 8/22/15 - 6.5 mg, 10/4/15 - 6 mg; 1/1/16 - 5.6 mg; 2/6/16 - 5.2 mg; 4/9 - 4.8 mg; 7/7 4.5 mg; 10/7 4.25 mg; 11/4 4.0 mg; 11/25 3.8 mg; 4/24 3.6 mg; 5/27 3.4 mg; 7/8 3.2 mg ... 10/18 2.8 mg; 1/18 2.6 mg; 4/7 2.4 mg; 5/26 2.15mg; 8/18 1.85 mg; 10/7 1.7 mg; 12/1 1.45 mg; 3/2 1.2 mg; 5/4 0.90 mg; 6/1 0.80 mg; 6/22 0.65 mg; 08/03 0.50 mg, 08/10 0.45 mg, 10/05 0.325 mg, 11/23 0.2 mg, 12/14 0.15 mg, 12/21 0.125 mg, 02/28 0.03125 mg, 2/15 0.015625 mg, 2/29/20 0.00 mg - OFF Effexor

I am not a medical professional - this is not medical advice. My suggestions are based on personal experience, reading, observation and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers

Alto, why exactly are refrigerated ones better? Another question I have is how to introduce the probiotics, is it necessary to introduce them slowly or not?

In 2014 tried to taper it, taperred it to 1mg during several months then abruptly stopped, ended up in the hospital. 

2014-2015  -  been off meds 3 times, all 3 times ended in the hospital and was put back on them.

• Administrator

I was told the refrigerated ones are more likely to contain viable cultures. But others have had success with probiotics in capsules.

Introduce gradually just in case. I never had a problem with them, except in kimchee (Korean fermented cabbage) -- that was kind of strong for me.

Thanks Alto! Now I have to buy some and hope they help! :)

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

How's your taper going? Did the probiotics help?

Hi Alto!

I tried probiotics for a while and the bowel movement quality did not change so I discontinued them. Only this past week I am having a slight improvement of bowel movements, they are a little more solid, and also do not have the belly discomforts and gases that I had before. I don't eat white bread or sugar, maybe that is helping I am not sure.

I did another 5% taper on Aug 28, and a week later begin having symptoms. I wake up an hour or two earlier than usual, feel more nervous, anxious and sad. Also my muscles are a little tense, and I have the desire to move. It is not that bad, overall I feel 5/10. I hope my body will adjust soon to the change. When I am feeling that I am really tense and agitated, I do some qigong exercises and it calms me down.

Yesterday my mother indirectly let me know that she does not believe that I can make it without drugs. She told me it would take forever with such small tapers and that the important thing is that my body to be able to function without them. It made me sad and angry. Sad because part of me is still unsure that it is possible, and angry because deep inside I desperately want a life without meds. After all, mother nature did not gave birth to me with a bottle of antipsychotics in my hand, so I really want to believe that my body can function naturally and be healthy without toxic poisons. But at the rate of 5% tapers, it will still take me 30 tapers just to get to 0.5ml! My confidence that its possible has diminished a bit...

vaseadude,

It took me over 6 years and multiple 100s of tapers to get off my meds. This is no easy journey...it's one of great endurance and, yeah, most people don't understand it, so it's no surprise your mother doesn't either.

I'm sorry you're feeling so discouraged. It's a hard path we find ourselves on, no doubt.

I have no regrets about withdrawing. There was no other way for me.

forza!

Gianna

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

Today I feel better than yesterday, so thats cool.

Grazie Giak! :)

Btw, what do you do when you have restlessness or a desire to move? Do you try to move as much as you can or you try not to pay attention to it?

move move move!! as much as you can without forcing it...EVER. No force.

Our bodies hold much energy and trauma...most of us are on drugs because of trauma of some sort IMO...and then the drugs push it down even further into the body...

so feeling the body...and responding to it is really really important for healing. It will teach you if you listen...it takes a long time but for me, the body is my main teacher in many regards...

so if you feel like moving see what your body would like in the way of movement...walking? stretching? gardening? feet on the earth, bare? (love that myself ;) )

okay...just remember not to push...my body got so sick I was bedridden and it pretty much needed to be right there in bed at the time...I didn't like it but it's what my body needed...

and vaseadude, you might consider taking probiotics just as a foundational supplement even it it appeared they weren't doing anything...they're good for our bods. (you might also try another brand)

okay...best to you!!

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

Can raw milk and kefir substitute probiotics?

sometimes...depends on whether or not you do okay with milk...a lot of people have trouble with milk although raw milk is generally less problematic...I had no idea I had issues with milk for many years and when I finally eliminated it found it made a MAJOR difference.

Kefir is loaded with probiotics so yes, it potentially can be very helpful. I don't tolerate it.

Gianna, thanx for the reply!

I eliminated the probiotic not only because it had no effect on me, but also because it's capsule was made of artificial coating, and also because it was quite expensive to be taking it every day at the suggested dose.

You said that probiotics are a great foundational supplement. What other supplements are also in this category? I tried fish oil, but I think it caused me eye and head pain. Is it even possible to withdraw without supplements?

yes one can withdraw without supplements and a lot of supplements cause problems rather than help.

I make most of my probiotics by fermenting veggies...I make homemade sauerkraut and beet kvass, I do carrots and beans and I make kombucha (that is a drink) see: http://beyondmeds.com/2012/08/17/make-your-own-kombucha/ ...

kombucha is really nice and easy, but it's not necessarily the best thing to start off with...although everyone is different

it's really a whole field of culinary art -- the art of fermentation...which you may or may not be up to learning about :)

thats really nice! Ive been actually wanting to try some of these things out for a long time. Will have to try them out. Thanx! :)

• 2 weeks later...

This past week I've tried some of the EFT techniques on some of my earlier traumas. First I sad down, spend some time first talking to myself, feeling, and getting to the core issues that feel "blocked" and then did tapping on those issues. After that, I usually felt a powerful release, characterized first by some shaking and then by deep peace and happiness. I felt different.

My withrawal effects from the last taper have lessened down, htey just lasted a few days in all, and I would be ready for the next taper. But, I think I can't do it at the moment.. because I have to go and submit some documents in the city, and I want to do that first before I taper again. I just don't know how to do it, I am a little afraid. If it wasnt for my social anxiety, it would have been easy, but I really feel awful going out. I havent been to downtown in a few months, and last time I tried, I felt panic and a lot of anxiety. I really hope I will do this, so I can move on with my taper.

hi vaseadude,

good luck with the papers...I hope you manage that okay...I know what it's like to have difficulty going out...I still most often can't go out at will...waiting a while until you take care of your needs sounds like a good idea

I wanted to comment on the release and "shaking" that you experienced...the shaking sound like neurogenic tremors which are necessary to release trauma...non-human animals do this naturally but we have mostly forgotten how to do it...

if you found that healing you might like the work of David Berceli who explains what the shaking is and also has some exercises that help bring them on. I do not think his method is necessary for everyone, but he talks about what they are nicely...clearly you seem to have gotten results from the EFT...

here is a post on the exercises and it covers the concept too: Trauma release exercises (or tension release too) -- the body speaks http://beyondmeds.com/2012/04/04/thebodyspeaks/

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Vaseadude,

Thank you for you warm words of encouragement on my thread. I can definitely relate to your not wanting to get out and go places. That is something that's hard for me to do as well. I hope that gets better as time goes by for both of us. Like you said, we must keep believing. Your words meant a lot to me.

I pray for more healing and well being as you continue this journey to get off Risperdal.

Love,

Tezza

You are welcome, Tezza! Hope you feel better too!

Gianna, thanks for the link, just checked it out. Can you tell me more about your experience with those exercises? did you feel like it was releasing the tension? Did you feel easier and calmer afterwards? How exactly did you feel it was too much for you?

Vaseadude,

I'm very sick and weak...I did them again recently and it wasn't as much too much since I am very slowly getting better, but I still find gentler things are better for me at this time.

I was bedridden for two whole years. Completely. My muscles were wasted...totally. My experience really doesn't apply to all that many people.

The sooner folks who need to discharge this stuff in whatever gentle way possible the better and the less likely they'll end up like me.

oh, I can say, though, the first time I did them the release was GREAT...and I was laughing and crying and shaking all at the same time...it was very powerful...and for a healthy body I imagine it would have been non-problematic...for me it really wasted me for days...

anyway...one should definitely go easy regardless...

I am still fearing the trip to downtown to submit the legal documents, as I am having bad anxiety when I go into the public. And this would be like standing in long lines and facing a lot of people. I do not want to taper any more until I take care of this business but I am afraid to do this.

I've been thinking about this issue, and I got the idea of using intermittent anxiety medication such as a benzo. Do you think it's a good idea to use a benzo, maybe at a tiny dose, to get me past this event? Wonder if anyone has any advice on this..

have you ever taken benzos on a regular basis? if you have I don't recommend ever reintroducing them...it can trigger weird sorts of dependency issues...they're really vile drugs.

but if you've never taken them regularly they may be okay on a VERY occasional basis to help you get through.

that's my opinion...I don't know if the board in general share that sort of opinion...

it's best to avoid the use of these meds...I always agree with that, however, again, in my opinion, if we have to function on occasion to SURVIVE and to ultimately become drug-free I am of the opinion we do what we need to do....

best to you Vaseadude...I couldn't leave my house for 2 years (both because of the hypersensitivity--not anxiety, really, and because I was bedridden)

it ain't pretty and if you can get your butt out of the house from time to time I think it's very healthy....and keeps you "in shape," so to speak.

there may be safer, behavioral ways of getting out...anyone have any suggestions?

I know when I couldn't go out, I just couldn't...but we're all different and there are generally many ways to cope with any given situation...but we don't always know what they are.

Again, thanx for the help Gianna.

I think I only briefly tried benzos 4 years ago, when they first put me on meds. I think I can try to use them on a very rare occasion.

These last days I've been struck with another curse - I have pain in knees. Feel pain when I walk, I can hardly even move around the house. Now, at first I was thinking... maybe I have overstrained them somehow in my chi gung practice. But now, I remembered that the meds can actually cause joint pain. HAS ANYONE HEARD OF JOINT PAIN AS AN ADVERSE EFFECT? Cos I dont really know whats wrong with my knees...

• Administrator

People get all kinds of body pain and muscle pain while withdrawing.

Can you get Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate)? Epsom salt baths are good for pain, absorbed magnesium helps muscles to relax.

Phew!!! I went downtown and submitted the documents. It went rather fast, and I had just a little anxiety. Thank god I got over that! Now the first thing Im gonna do tomorrow is continue with my taper. :rolleyes:

I went to the pharmacy and I got some sea salt. Apparently they don't have Epsom salt, but this natural sea salt that they had has also magnesium and other microelements, and also has an essential oil from pine, which is supposedly good for the joints. I hope it's good.

I've also started the free online couse on CBT on llttf.com, I got the link from this forum. Hope it will teach me something.

Thanks Gianna! :D

And btw, I did not take any benzos! I did take one capsule of tartcherry supplement though.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Vaseadude,

I'm glad that's over and done for you. I think dreading something like that is harder than actually doing it.

I hope as you continue your taper you will get better and better.

Hugs and healing,

Tezza

• Moderator Emeritus

Sorry, I just saw your post about tart cherry. Did it relax you? I've read that it can help with sleep and considered trying. I got a Swanson catalog in mail yesterday with tart cherry on front of it. It's 465 mg per capsule and don't know whether I might give it a try.

Wish you the best!

I take tons of tart cherry all day long...it's anti-inflammatory and it helps with pain too...not sure it does anything in terms of anxiety...

I do lots of anti-inflammatory foods/spices and supplements...

proteolytic enzymes on an empty stomach help too...several times a day...and if I wake up in the night I take them...

pain is way way more manageable now...been meaning to write a proper post on this but I've not gotten around to it

Tezza,

I am not usually taking tart cherry. I had some left from trying the road back program and I don't really know if it does anything to anxiety, at the time I was taking a lot of supplements and I felt sick and I dont know what exactly caused what. Today took one, but I did not feel any different.

hugs and love back to you, Tezza! Thanks for writing.

• 2 weeks later...

This last taper had fewer side effects thatn the others/. I did not feel much nervousness as I did from other tapers, and I actually felt better emotionally some days. Still having anxiety outside in public, though, but a few days I felt it was better. I plan to taper again in the next few days. I wonder and I hope it's gonna be better as less and less of the chemical is in my body.