Sign in to follow this  
Skyler

Govt. Intervention for DSM-5?

Skyler

Is Government Intervention Needed to Prevent an Unsafe DSM 5?

"Donna Rockwell, Psy.D. was once a CNN reporter covering Capitol Hill. She is now a psychologist and a member of the petition committee calling for an independent scientific review of DSM 5." From the Huffington Post

"As I read this, I find it both sad and silly that DSM 5 has allowed things to degenerate to the point where government intervention may indeed be necessary. DSM 5 has stubbornly ignored the general consensus that many of its suggestions simply make no sense and may cause grave damage both to public health and public policy. The DSM 5 hot potato suggestions should have been dropped long ago. They certainly must be rejected now.

Adding a new diagnoses in psychiatry can be far more dangerous than approving one of the new "me-too" drugs that so often come to market. It is paradoxical and nonsensical for us to carefully vet new drugs through a fairly rigorous FDA procedure but at the same time allow new diagnoses to be introduced through a badly flawed decision-making process completely controlled by just one professional organization that has lost its credibility. The new diagnoses suggested by DSM 5 will lead to widespread misdiagnosis and inappropriate drug use -- causing far more damage than could possible be wrought by any new "me-too" drug."

PS.. I link thru to articles because I am used to doing this. Please let me know if you would rather me post in the body of these messages.

Altostrata

Thanks, Schuyler.

I like to link through plus provide selections from the articles here so people can see if they want to read the whole thing. That's selections, not the entire article -- to conform to rules about fair use and copyright.

Skyler

Hallelujah! Awright... thanks for the post Bubbles. The section on Psychosis Risk was absolutely heinous, and Mixed Anxiety Depression, think there would have been such a thing as a normal mood? But this is on the right track.. The most atrocious section has been exorcised.

The link for public comment for any who might be interested.