Altostrata

Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

savinggrace

I was on Effexor for 6 weeks 15 years ago. For me, it was a huge accelerator. I had so many side effects on that drug I just stopped taking it. Back then, I didn’t know any better.  Now I know tapering is definitely  necessary. A 10% taper every 4 weeks MAY work for you, if you are one of the lucky ones. Just listen to your body and respect what is telling you. If it were my choice, tapering Effexor first would be it.  So few people are on Buspar. This is the first time I have read anything about it here, though you could search for others’ experiences. I hope you can “ chip away” at Effexor steadily and with w/d symptoms relatively controllable. 

Grace

GracieAnn

I understand all of this but have one question as it relates to gabapentin and ssri’s. If you have a super long taper in front of you off the ssri, would it be wise to get off gabapentin first because being on it will prevent your nerves from healing(and thereby increase your likelihood of akathisia?).

Altostrata

Please read this topic from the beginning. Gabapentin is a "brake."

Your assumption that gabapentin is worse for your nerves than an SSRI is incorrect. It is no better or worse. As gabapentin is a "brake," going off gabapentin first might increase potential for activation or akathisia when you go off the SSRI.

If, however, you are having an identifiable adverse reaction to gabapentin, it may make sense to reduce gabapentin first.

Please put questions about your own specific situation in your Introductions topic, as discussion about it will take this thread off-topic.

Jesse12

I'm taking both Buspar and klonopin. I was told to taper off Zoloft and than lamictal first. But what comes after that, klonopin or Buspar?