Naratriptan

poodlebell

Naratriptan

Hi

When I had been off seroxat for 1 year and 1 month I got a cold sore and used zorivax and this made me so much worse. It was my grandsons christening and I was desperate to get there so I had half a naratriptan, which I had been given by the doctor for migraines, even though I was on seroxat and have now read you should not combine the two, and it stopped the w/d symptoms.

I have just read up on this drug and it says

Naratriptan works by stimulating receptors called serotonin (or 5HT) receptors that are found in the brain. A natural substance called serotonin normally acts on these receptors, causing blood vessels in the brain to narrow. Naratriptan mimics this action of serotonin by directly stimulating the serotonin receptors in the brain. This narrows the blood vessels and so relieves the pain of migraine headaches.

If this drug stimulates the receptors would this be a good thing for us in w/d to get our receptors working normally again.

poodlebell

• Administrator

Interesting, pb. Have you tried it more than once?

See cautions below.

It seems most are concerned with excessive serotonin stimulation, leading to serotonin syndrome. If I were going to experiment with this drug, I would use the very lowest effective dose I could find.

FDA prescribing information from

http://www.drugs.com/ppa/naratriptan.html

Contraindications

Patients with history, signs, or symptoms of ischemic heart disease (eg, angina, including Prinzmetal variant, MI, silent myocardial ischemia), cerebrovascular or peripheral vascular syndromes, uncontrolled hypertension, severe renal or hepatic insufficiency, patients with hemiplegic or basilar migraine, or hypersensitivity to any component of the product. Naratriptan is contraindicated within 24 h of use with other serotonin agonists, ergotamine compounds, or methysergide.

Dosage and Administration

Adults

PO 1 or 2.5 mg with onset of migraine headache. Dose is individualized based on response and adverse reactions. The dose may be repeated once after 4 h if partial response or if the headache returns. The max daily dose is 5 mg in 24 h.

Drug Interactions

5-HT 1 agonists (eg, sumatriptan)

Increased risk of vasospastic reactions; therefore, coadministration of two 5-HT 1 agonists within 24 h of each other is contraindicated.

Ergot-containing drugs

May cause additive, prolonged vasospasm.

Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (eg, citalopram, fluoxetine, fluvoxamine, paroxetine, sertraline)

Weakness, hyperreflexia, and incoordination have been rarely reported.

Sibutramine

Serotonin syndrome, including CNS irritability, motor weakness, shivering, myoclonus, and altered consciousness may occur.

Adverse Reactions

Cardiovascular

Angina, MI (postmarketing).

CNS

Dizziness, drowsiness, malaise/fatigue, paresthesia (2%); vertigo (at least 1%); cerebral vascular accident, including transient ischemic attack, subarachnoid hemorrhage, and cerebral infarction (postmarketing).

EENT

Ear, nose, and throat infections, photophobia (at least 1%).

GI

Nausea (5%); hyposalivation, vomiting (at least 1%); colonic ischemia (postmarketing).

Hypersensitivity

Hypersensitivity, including anaphylaxis/anaphylactoid reactions (postmarketing).

Respiratory

Dyspnea (postmarketing).

Miscellaneous

Atypical sensation (4%); pain and pressure in neck and throat (2%); warm/cold temperature sensation, sensations of pressure, tightness, and heaviness (at least 1%).

Patient Information

• Explain that drug is to be used only during migraine and does not prevent or reduce the number of attacks. Emphasize that drug is used only to treat actual migraine attack and should not be used to prevent migraine headaches or treat headaches caused by other conditions.
  • Advise patient that drug is to be taken as soon as symptoms of migraine appear. A second dose may be taken if symptoms return, but no sooner than 4 h following the first dose. For a given attack, if there is no response to the first tablet, do not take a second tablet without first consulting with health care provider. Caution patient not to take more than 2 doses in any 24-h period.
  • Advise patient to immediately notify health care provider if any of the following occur after taking a dose of naratriptan: severe chest pain or chest pain that does not go away; sudden and/or severe stomach pain; shortness of breath; wheezing; swelling of eyelids, face, or lips.
  • Advise patient that if tightness, pain, pressure, or heaviness in chest, throat, neck, or jaw occur when using naratriptan, to discuss these symptoms with health care provider before using again.
  • Advise patient to notify health care provider if feelings of tingling, heat, flushing, tiredness, dizziness, heaviness, or pressure occur after treatment.
  • Advise patient that drug may cause fatigue or dizziness and to use caution while driving or performing other activities requiring mental alertness.
  • Advise patient to avoid unnecessary exposure to sunlight or tanning lamps and to use sunscreen and wear protective clothing to avoid photosensitivity reactions.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi

I only tried it the once.

I sent this to David Healy and he seems very interested in this and is going to ask around about it

poodlebell

Poodlebell....I think we know each other from Seroxatmad?????

I am Celeste.

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

• Administrator

Please let us know what Dr. Healy says.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Hi Nikki

yes I was on seroxatmad and do remember you and the bad time you was having then, just read your introduction and you certainly have been through one hell of a time, hope that this time you can get off the meds and feel good.

When seroxatmad went down and then came back again it seemed to loose a lot of the older members, like gliderman who I had good banter with over Pam from CITA, and it was more for people who were coming off and I did not like putting on about me being off for such a long time and not better. This is why I am so glad Alto started this site as its for us oldtimers as well as those who are still coming off, lots of good suggestions for coming off meds on here.

On the benzorecovery site they have a new way of cutting the meds down to do with adding in milk, only glanced at this but you might want to have a look at this.

best wishes

poodlebell

Hi Alto

this is the reply I got from Dr. David Healy

christine

everyone i ask seems to think this cd help

we need to get a few more people to try it and tell us

david

• Administrator

Are you going to try it?

Hi Alto

you can only get naramig from the doctors, but I can get sumitriptan and have emailed David to ask about trying these, the dosage is 50mg whereas naramig is 2.5mg.

I am going to give it a try and have asked 2 others if they will, one says reluctantly, and not had a reply from the other yet.

I would not try this for more than a couple of days at the most and if the first one made me worse would stop it.

poodlebell

Hi Alto

reply from David

Christine

yes looks like 2.5N is same as 50S

keep me posted - this could be really interesting

D

• Administrator

I see 50mg sumitriptan is available without a prescription in the UK.

I would try only a fraction of a dose, whichever medication. Even a tiny crumb might be enough.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy