squirrel

Body temperature dysregulation: fever, chills, shivering, too hot, too cold

Barkeater

Wondering if anyone has had the experience of a low-grade fever that comes and goes in withdrawal. I'm familiar with the Paxil flu but couldn't find explicit reference to this particular symptom. I've always had a low body temperature (usually around 97.8) but for the past couple months I often have a temperature around 99.5 but with no other symptoms. It will disappear in a couple hours time and then come back randomly, a day or a week later.

I know I should see a doctor, as I have a history of hypothyroidism and other health problems that could be directly or indirectly causing this. But in the meantime, it would be comforting to hear that others have experienced this.

Thank you!

InvisibleUnless

i have tons of issues with internal and external temperature regulation.  it can affect my homeostasis and also my susceptibility to hot or cold in the environment.  the symptoms have been so troubling that it has been suggested that i look into a fibromyalgia doctor (for that and many other reasons) in addition to looking at what withdrawal might be causing.

definitely see a doctor, and try to schedule a urine test (which s/he will most probably order) for a time when you are feeling an increase in temperature.  hopefully something will show up that can point you in the direction of an issue.

i feel light fevers, overheating body parts (like painful eyes and a hot face), and a flu-like fatigue coming and going.  sometimes i have what feels like bordering on serotonin storm---i get rather flushed and feverish, racing thoughts and shaky body, heart trouble, etc.  not all fever symptom sets lead to that, but its a concern and i try to stay away from precipitating elements (omega-3 fatty acids, by supplement or even by meal sometimes, medical marijuana, sugar overdosing, etc).  i dont imagine that is your particular issue, but what you are describing definitely sounds like a withdrawal-related incident, given how much control the brain has over our other organs and their functioning.

im not a doctor and have no professional opinion, but i think it would be reasonable to count this into your symptom tree and seek outside advice to make sure theres not more you can do to manage it.  you didnt mention the fever itself being a big problem, but who knows what else is being affected at the same time.

vonant

I was about to start a thread about flu like/feverish symptoms after exercise. I have experienced this for several months now. even very mild exercise leaves me with a flu and mild fever for several days. really frustrating. I am 3,5 years post last dosage of Citalopram. I wonder if anyone else has experienced this and if it is related to withdrawal. I have definitely considered thyroid problems as I am sure withdrawal has caused.

InvisibleUnless

exercising tends to worsen my withdrawal symptoms in general for a period of days (oftentimes beginning the hours or day following exercise more than just immediately following).  medication and recovery can lead to thyroid damage or dysregulation, so i dont think it would be a bad idea to get some tests run if you are in a position to.

erer

Wondering if anyone has had the experience of a low-grade fever that comes and goes in withdrawal. I'm familiar with the Paxil flu but couldn't find explicit reference to this particular symptom. I've always had a low body temperature (usually around 97.8) but for the past couple months I often have a temperature around 99.5 but with no other symptoms. It will disappear in a couple hours time and then come back randomly, a day or a week later.

I had this all the time when withdrawing from Cymbalta.

erer

1) Freezing cold all over and nothing would warm me up, even a heating pad turned on high setting, would not eliminate the coldness. These cold spells would last for many, many hours straight.

I am experiencing this now.

Back when I was tapering Cymbalta I knew I had WD symptoms when I started to sweat a lot (which I usually don't do) and the sweat smelled weirdly.

But now I am freezing all the time to the point when I get shivers so intense my neck muscles start cramping. Not loving this...

quitpaxil2015

I had this problem yesterday when I was going through severe WD needing to reinstate to my previous dose. I would shiver and be cold then today a lot of sweating even though it was not too hot.

downtongirl

Last night and tonight when I go to bed I am experiencing periods of chills and shaking....is this normal for Prozac withdrawal?

Mort81

Yes this is normal. I had some wicked shakes while on the meds but also a few episodes of shaking while off. I also had problems with body temperature which I think is why we shake. Magnesium baths could help with this as it stabilizes your whole system.  Almost everyone on this website takes magnesium in some form. 

downtongirl

Thanks for the reply....wonder why it really only happens when I get into bed?  How long did your shakes last? My teeth were actually tapping last night.

Mort81

From what I understand its much more likely to happen when your trying to sleep . Your body tries to regulate temperature while sleeping thats what an old pychiatrist told me. I think he may be right but also our systems are just fragile at the moment .They would last anywhere from 5 min to 15-30 min. Its the main reason why I wanted off of Antidpressants. I was shaking alot.  I havent had an episode in awhile . since July. 

Austin

I can say for myself, yes, chills and shakiness are very prevalent.  Wearing a sweater in here and the thermostat says 72˚.  Not much you can do about shakiness.  Take a deep breath, I guess. 

Mort81

This was the main reason I had to stop SSRI's . I wasnt able to regulate body temperature . I got so hot after exercise expecially hard cardio like Running or Hockey that I actually had 2 syncopes. Besides the Syncopes I got tremors and shakes with regularity.  During the first 6 months of WD I was quite the opposite. I would get cold and not be able to heat up. Now 14 months off and my body temp seems to be normal.

AprilShowers

I'm having a hard time with this. I feel like I have Parkinson's I'm shaking so much. Feet like ice, head & torso boiling & sweaty, shivers & shakes, no saliva, BP 150/100 pulse 107. Heart palpitations & tremor. Body feels like acid. No idea what my temperature is as I have no thermometer but I'm sweating and clammy at the same time. It's hell. Less severe than last week but hell all the same. I think seratonin storm is a good phrase for it even if it's inaccurate. I feel like a living tornado of symptoms. I wish I could switch it off.

Happy2Heal

hi i'm withdrawing from lexapro, and I'm having wildly fluctuating body temps, from hot flushes (without sweating, so I don't think it's a hot flash, if it is, it's a dry one)

to being very cold, even when my apt is heated to 70 degrees (I normally keep my apt around 60 degrees and tolerate that quite well)

I also recently had a trial of clonidine for severe insomnia and I noticed it is also prescribed for hot flashes, so I wonder if it did something to my body's regulation of temp? it did make me cold when I was on it,

now that I am off it, my temp swings are horrible, from highs to lows. I ended up going back on a half tablet and that helped a bit.

ChessieCat

Hi Catnapt,

Meow.  Sorry couldn't resist  ;)   Knew I'd read a thread about feeling hot/cold.  Found it here.

CC

Happy2Heal

Hi

Meow backatcha

just seeing this now, thanks so much for finding that for me ChessieCat

omg this is horrible, I am so cold- even when it's 70degrees in here, I turn the heat on, and put on sweatshirts and even a hat, just to warm up

then suddenly, wham! I can feel the heat just radiating out from inside me and I am racing to strip off the extra clothes, some times I strip down to no clothes, the heat is so bad

I know this is not night sweats or menopausal hot flashes, those have always come with sweating, and never last this long

this is hell

I am so angry at my doctor right now, I asked for the liquid generic lexapro and after a lot of back and forth with her nurse, etc, she refused to prescribe it, instead she called in a prescription for 5mgs lexapro (generic) with the instructions to take one a day for a month, then half of one a day for another month, and then we'd "talk about maybe going to every other day"

I'm currently taking 2.5mgs (1/8th of 20mg tablet)

and she wants me to double it, and they drop it down by 50%?!?!?

NOT HAPPENING!
I am so angry.

my sleep is starting to improve, in spurts (I can get decent sleep every OTHER night, which is ironic since, before I found this site, I was tapering doing 2.5mgs every other day)

this sucks sooooooooooo bad

in the time that it's taken to write this, I've gone from a normal temp to super hot, stripped off my hat and sweatshirt,

and now, I"m freezing again..........

oy!

gonna go stand in front of the heater and try to warm up

it's like 4:30 am here and I've not slept, so that's not helping much either

thanks again for finding that thread.

Mort81

Hey I was on 30 mg of Lexapro and ive had this problem for awhile. Im usually hot and cold at the same time. Overtime it should regulate but it can be uncomfortable

Happy2Heal

thanks Mort81

It is already a bit better, I am only getting the hot flushes now, no more of the cold

wow what a ride, eh?

Mort81

Np. Ya an unbelievable ride! It kinda feels like getting blind sided by a truck!

Mort81

Hey April did it go away? Im having some major body temperature issues now aswell. Im hot and cold at the same time plus cant quench my thirst. Even though Ive drank tons of water.

AprilShowers

Hey April did it go away? Im having some major body temperature issues now aswell. Im hot and cold at the same time plus cant quench my thirst. Even though Ive drank tons of water.

No. The duration reduced a bit though which is some help I suppose though after all these weeks it doesn't feel like it much, it's exhausting. I have thirst too, even though I'm also drinking loads, I think that's because too much cortisol means you don't release enough vasopressin and the urine doesn't concentrate or something. I'm imagining if it's not concentrating then there's fluid that is not ending up where it should in my body. My skin is very dry too and I have no saliva in the mornings and can't eat either. 

Mort81

Ya its no fun. My akathisia stopped but this symptom has been tough aswell. Im drinking electrolyte drinks to help. See if it works. Lemon, water, Himalayan Salt and Raw Honey. Or I have a sports drink called bio steel. Im trying both. Im also taking on and off clothes throughout the night to try and stay at a good temp.

KarenB

Made me think of coconut-water too - is meant to be re-hydrating. 

Im drinking electrolyte drinks to help. See if it works. Lemon, water, Himalayan Salt and Raw Honey.

Mort81

Ya coconut water is a good idea aswell. I bought some. This evening has been tough. So hot and cold at the same time plus again I can't quench my thirst. Mouth is so dry and uncomfortable. This only started for me about a month ago off and on now.

ravijaua

I live in the east coast for years, handled -10 degrees no problem in college. Now I need it to be exactly 60-70 degrees. Good thing I live in southern California near the beach now. Best for withdrawal. If it's too hot, I can't handle it.

Bridgetini

So relieved to see this topic thread! It is August: dry and breezy. I am wearing socks,  long pants, two fleeces, and am drinking soup.

But if it get hot I wilt and cannot function. My optimal range is 16-24 degrees C.

emilie

Me too. It is horrible this cold. For me, it come when i am in resting position but not the day, only the evening. 

If i come back in my house and sit in the sofa to see a TV programm, it comes. It seems the problem is activity/inactivity transition.  

I have very very cold, then i have tremor (i suppose the body try to upgrade my body temperature) and when tremor comes, i have diarhea.

When i have tremor, to avoid teeth problem i put a pacifier (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacifier) in my mouth, the time the crisis to stop. 

(pacifier sell for baby more than 18months)

Look like a baby, but really it help me. I can leave the mouth crisped bitting this pacifier without preoccuping myself about my teeth.

I was not sure if it was real or not so i mesured my body temperature with a Forehead thermometer puting it in my front and in my palm hand to see. There is a real difference in temperature in palm hand between while crisis and after. 

After having really cold, i often have too hot.

emilie

Ok, i have seen the doctor 2-3 times.

So i made tetany crisis because i am dehydrated, i drink too little.

I'm never thirsty so i force myself to drink 1,2 liter per day(i can't drink more). (i think i drinked less than 500ml per day whn i had tetany).

crisis all the day of tetany stop.

The problem then was that when i drink a few sips ,stomach balloon becomes hard.

So i come back to doctor that say i have a gastritis (inflammation of stomach) and gastroesophageal reflux disease. So i am on IPP. He says that i did not drink enought because of gastritis.

For now i still having some crisis at sunset. I find that valerian root helpfull... I know it is just GABA so my crisis everyday at night is too less GABA, so it still withrawal.

I have lost 4 kg in one week, so on the moment i will take valerian extract. And i have began light therapy (my doctor say me that it can help) with a lamp that cost 200$. If it can help i will try.

I will continue to force myself to drink water since my body does not say to me when he need to drink.