SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Tips for tapering off Neurontin (gabapentin)

tezza

• Moderator Emeritus

ADMIN NOTE: For details about tapering techniques, jump to this post

IMPORTANT:  There is an interaction between gabapentin and magnesium, see http://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-9845-8217/neurontin-oral/gabapentin-oral/details/list-interaction-details/dmid-1207/dmtitle-gabapentin-aluminum-magnesium-containing-compounds/intrtype-drug.

Taking magnesium at the same time as  Neurontin/ gabapentin decreases the absorption of gabapentin.

Avoid taking aluminum or magnesium containing products (such as antacids) for 2 hours before your gabapentin.

tezza post:

I'm trying to get info on water titrating gabapentin. Anyone that can offer advice, please help.

Edited by ChessieCat
updated admin note

here are some generic directions for a water titration of any water soluble drug...

http://beyondmeds.com/2008/05/14/water-titration-for-slow-and-controlled-psychiatric-drug-withdrawal/

neurontin IS water soluble so it should work decently.

good luck.

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

• Administrator

Thanks, Gia.

Thanks for opening this thread on Neurontin, tezza. The rules of thumb for tapering Neurontin are the same as with other psychiatric drugs: 10% trial reduction per month, etc.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I have a post on neurontin withdrawal too...it's also rather generic...but it's one of the top trafficked posts on the blog for some reason...

https://bipolarblast.wordpress.com/2009/06/11/gabapentin-neurontin-withdrawal/

it might help a bit...

Edited by manymoretodays
updated link

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

• Administrator

Neurontin comes in liquid form, which could be handy for tapering.

This study below suggests a solution made from a Neurontin tablet mixed in water will last quite a while under refrigeration. (Personally, I would keep it for a week, then throw out.)

Pharm Res. 1992 May;9(5):595-600.

Stability studies of gabapentin in aqueous solutions.

Zour E, Lodhi SA, Nesbitt RU, Silbering SB, Chaturvedi PR.

Source

Parke-Davis Pharmaceutical Research Division, Warner-Lambert Company, Morris Plains, New Jersey 07950.

Abstract at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1608888

Gabapentin is a gamma-aminobutyric acid analogue, which has been shown to be an effective antiepileptic. The solution stability of gabapentin in buffered systems was studied in order to facilitate the formulation of a liquid product. The degradation of the drug was followed as a function of pH, buffer concentration, ionic strength, and temperature. The results indicated that the rate of degradation was proportional to the buffer concentration and temperature. The pH-rate profile of gabapentin degradation showed that the rate of degradation was minimum at an approximate pH of 6.0. Further, the data suggested a slower solvent-catalyzed degradation rate for the zwitterionic species compared to the cationic or anionic species in the pH range of 4.5 to 7.0. There was no influence of ionic strength on the rate of degradation. Arrhenius plots of the data indicated that a shelf life of 2 years or more at room temperature may be obtained in an aqueous solution at a pH value of 6.0.

[Word of the day: zwitterionic.]

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

Aka Gralise, Neurontin, Aclonium, Novo-Gabapentin, Apo-Gabapentin (Canada), CO Gabapentin (Canada), Gen-Gabapentin (Canada), Novo-Gabapentin (Canada), PMS-Gabapentin (Canada), ratio-Gabapentin (Canada), Gabapentina, Gabapentine, Gabapentino, Gabapentinum

Gabapentin originally was intended to treat epilepsy. From http://www.drugbank.ca/drugs/DB00996

Gabapentin, an analog of GABA, is used as an anticonvulsant to treat partial seizures, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), and painful neuropathies. Potential uses include monotherapy of refractory partial seizure disorders, and treatment of spasticity in multiple sclerosis, tremor. mood disorders, and attenuation of disruptive behaviors in dementia. Gabapentin has high lipid solubility, is not metabolized by the liver, has no protein binding, and doesn't possess the usual drug interactions.

Gabapentin has a half-life of about 5-7 hours.

Like other psychiatric drugs, going off gabapentin can incur a withdrawal syndrome http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/722526

American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy
Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2010;67(11):910-912.

Withdrawal Symptoms after Gabapentin Discontinuation
Thaddaus R. Hellwig, Rhonda Hammerquist, Jill Termaat

Abstract
Purpose. A case of apparent gabapentin withdrawal symptoms after discontinuation of gabapentin therapy is reported.

Summary. A 53-year-old woman had coffee ground emesis, a two-day history of black tarry stools, and abdominal pain. ....On day 5, gabapentin was reinitiated, and the patient's confusion and agitation improved that evening. The next morning, the patient was calm, alert, and cooperative. Her symptoms resolved, and she was discharged on hospital day 7.

Conclusion. A patient developed apparent withdrawal symptoms beginning two days after gabapentin therapy was discontinued. The symptoms were unresponsive to treatment with benzodiazepines but completely resolved with the reinitiation of gabapentin therapy.
Patients who have abruptly discontinued gabapentin have reported symptoms of anxiety, diaphoresis, irritability, agitation, confusion, tachycardia, catatonia, and status epilepticus.[16–22] The symptoms that have been associated with gabapentin withdrawal tend to mimic some of the same withdrawal symptoms associated with ethanol and benzodiazepine withdrawal, possibly because gabapentin augments GABA levels, as does ethanol and benzodiazepines. We describe a case of withdrawal symptoms after discontinuation of gabapentin therapy.
Discussion
The temporal relationship between the development of symptoms about three days after gabapentin discontinuation and the absence of any improvements during the administration of benzodiazepines for presumed ethanol withdrawal suggest gabapentin withdrawal syndrome.

All of our patient's symptoms were typical of ethanol and benzodiazepine withdrawal syndromes. The patient received several doses of lorazepam, with no subsequent improvement in any of her symptoms. Once gabapentin was restarted, the patient's symptoms quickly improved and disappeared within a day.

Several case reports have described a possible gabapentin withdrawal syndrome, including symptoms such as irritability, agitation, anxiety, tachycardia, diaphoresis, confusion, disorientation, catatonia, and status epilepticus.[16–22] The symptoms of all of the patients described in these case reports resolved within one or two days after the reinitiation of gabapentin.

Gabapentin therapy may lead to increased levels of GABA synthesis.[3–5] Ethanol and benzodiazepines both augment GABA levels and are associated with a withdrawal syndrome upon abrupt discontinuation. Given the similarity of symptoms among ethanol, benzodiazepine, and gabapentin withdrawal syndromes, the common thread may be those agents' effects on GABA levels.

Pittenger and Desan%5B17%5D described two cases of patients suffering from gabapentin withdrawal treated with benzodiazepines without any improvement in symptoms. Both patients had a history of ethanol abuse, though they had no documented recent use of ethanol. One, a 33-year-old man, developed confusion, diaphoresis, disorientation, agitation, and tachycardia after discontinuing gabapentin 3600 mg daily. He received benzodiazepines without benefit, but his symptoms improved over two days after restarting gabapentin. The other patient, a 63-year-old man, had hallucinations, tachycardia, diaphoresis, and agitation after discontinuing gabapentin 4900 mg daily. Treatment with lorazepam 48 mg for two days produced limited improvement in symptoms, but the symptoms quickly improved once gabapentin was restarted.

These cases and the one we describe suggest that benzodiazepines may be an ineffective treatment option for gabapentin withdrawal. Of note, our patient was receiving a lower dose of gabapentin compared with patients described in other case reports.

The timing of ethanol ingestion in our patient raises the possibility that she actually experienced an ethanol withdrawal syndrome that was totally unresponsive to benzodiazepine therapy but was relieved by gabapentin. Although trials have examined the use of gabapentin for ethanol withdrawal,[10–15] we are unaware of studies that used gabapentin for benzodiazepine-resistant ethanol withdrawal symptoms.

Practitioners should be alert to the possibility of a withdrawal syndrome associated with gabapentin that mimics that of benzodiazepines and ethanol.

Reduce by 10% per month to start
The 10% rule holds for gabapentin, just like other psychiatric drugs: Reduce by 10% per month, calculated on the last dosage. (The amount of the reduction gets progressively smaller.)

See Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Using tablets to taper
According to FDA information at http://www.drugs.com/ppa/gabapentin.html, gabapentin comes in the dosages below. Gabapentin is supplied as tablets or capsules.

Horizant
- Tablets, ER, oral 600 mg

Gabapentin (base)

Gralise
- Tablets, oral 300 mg
- Tablets, oral 600 mg

Neurontin
- Tablets, oral 600 mg
- Tablets, oral 800 mg
- Capsules, oral 100 mg
- Capsules, oral 300 mg
- Capsules, oral 400 mg
- Solution, oral 250 mg per 5 mL
Apo-Gabapentin (Canada)
CO Gabapentin (Canada)
Gen-Gabapentin (Canada)
Novo-Gabapentin (Canada)
PMS-Gabapentin (Canada)
ratio-Gabapentin (Canada)

When tablets are scored, they may be split. Cut them up with a pill cutter, available at any drug store. Capsules filled with powder may be opened for titration.

You may wish to precisely measure your dosage with an electronic scale that measures milligrams. These are available for under $30 US. See http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1596-using-a-digital-scale-to-measure-doses/

Given the lack of low-dosage tablets to split and the dosage range of the capsules, the best method for a gradual, precise taper would be to use gabapentin liquid.

Using gabapentin liquid concentrate to taper
http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/lookup.cfm?setid=c64c09c9-0567-4a4f-b2c6-8f667986c9af

HOW SUPPLIED

Gabapentin Oral Solution is supplied as follows:

250 mg/5 mL oral solution; Clear, colorless to slightly yellow solution; each 5 mL of oral solution contains 250 mg of gabapentin; available in: Bottles containing 470 mL: NDC 50383-311-47

Storage

Store refrigerated, 2°-8°C (36°-46°F)
The inactive ingredients for the oral solution are artificial cool strawberry anise flavor, d-xylitol, glacial acetic acid, glycerin, purified water, and sodium acetate. Glacial acetic acid and/or sodium acetate used to adjust pH.

As it is in a 50mg per mL concentration, this means using an oral syringe to measure out the proper amount. If you wish to take 50mg, you would take 1mL from the bottle.

If you are taking 500mg and wish to reduce by 10% (50mg), you would take 9mL (450mg) from the bottle.

Make your own liquid
According to the FDA, gabapentin "is freely soluble in water." Many people make their own liquid for tapering from tablets, or the powder from a capsule, and water. (A liquid made from gabapentin and water is quite stable, see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2309-tips-for-tapering-neurontin-gabapentin/?p=22919)

See How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

Using a combination of tablets or capsules and liquid

Rather than switch directly to an all-liquid dose, you may wish to take part of your dose in liquid and part in lower-dose tablets or capsules, gradually converting to all liquid as you get to lower dosages. This can be very convenient and reduce any problems switching from one form of the drug to another.

If your doctor prescribes liquid and tablets or capsules at the same time, most likely, he or she will have to indicate "divided doses" in the prescriptions to get the drugs covered by insurance.

Have a compounding pharmacy make up capsules of smaller dosages
A compounding pharmacy will accurately weigh small doses and put them into capsules for you. See http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/235-tapering-techniques/page__p__3001#entry3001

NOTE There is an interaction between gabapentin and magnesium, see http://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-9845-8217/neurontin-oral/gabapentin-oral/details/list-interaction-details/dmid-1207/dmtitle-gabapentin-aluminum-magnesium-containing-compounds/intrtype-drug. Taking magnesium at the same time as gabapentin decreases the absorption of gabapentin. Avoid taking aluminum or magnesium containing products (such as antacids) for 2 hours before your gabapentin.

Edited by ChessieCat
updated

Somewhere along the line during my tapers, I tapered off of 1800 mg on Neurotin, kind of fast I recall. But I simply don't remember how in the world I did it. Everything is a blur. Well, I decided to try Neurontin again from my new doctor. I wanted to really pay attention to if it helped the nerve pain. I've been on 600 mg a day of it for about a month, and before that 300 mg for a month. I wonder if I can't do a quick taper. I mean, if I had bad symptoms from that 1800 mg taper then I'd surely remember. I'm such a space case from the last year. I need off the Neurontin. It's making me incredibally tired and I feel yucky, and it's not helping my pain.

Taper from Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac & Antipsychotics finished June 2012.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• Administrator

I would think you could back down to 300mg rather quickly, maybe in two steps over 10 days? Then a little slower off 300mg?

That sounds good. I have the capsules. Does that dilute in water well? That would be easy to just dilute it and then take half of it.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

I'm doing a gabapentin taper as well and just wanted to mention that when I mix the contents of capsules in water it does not make a solution but a suspension. The drug may be water soluble and be in solution but it appears that the binders are not and they remain in suspension.

• Administrator

Yes, that's the case with most of these drugs. It's not truly a solution unless all the particles are dissolved. So shake gently before drawing your dosage from a homemade liquid!

• Moderator Emeritus

I had the 300mg capsules also. I mixed with water and took 3/4 of suspension for about a week, then I took 1/2 for a week...then 1/3 for about a week and finally 1/4 for three or four days. At that point I forgot to take it one night so I left off there.

Thank you, Alto, for advising me to taper the neurontin as my next step. I'm so glad to be free from, at least, one med completely.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I am 9 months benzo free and have been feeling pretty good. I've decided to start a very conservative microtaper off of gabapentin today. I know that if things get rough I can always back off and try it again later. For those of you that have stepped off more than one drug, how long did you wait until you started another taper?

Thanks,

Elgee

2.5 tapered to .75 mgs ativan (7 months) c/o to 7.50 valium tapered to 0 (15 months) benzo free 12/2011!<p>1500 mgs gabapentin microtapering, down to 1350 as of 1/5/2015, 1225 as of 11/1/2015

Hi elgee. Congratulations on finishing your benzo taper! That is awesome. As for Gabapenten, (Neurontin, right?) I've tapered off it twice and had very little trouble. However, I was never on it that long. I think the longest was maybe 6 months or so. Both times I did quick tapers, so you might not want advice from me if you're sensitive to it or been on it long.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• Moderator Emeritus

Elgee, I think if you've been feeling pretty good, that's a good time to start another taper. It sounds like you know to watch your body''s reaction and be conservative, especially at first. It's better to start small and slow and then gradually ramp up to tolerance.

Sounds like you know what you're doing. I'd say go for it!

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• 2 years later...

I have read much info on this site about using magnesium to help with gabapentin withdrawal. I am up to 700 mg of magnesium per day but am experiencing more withdrawal symptoms from gabapentin.  I am currently taking the magnesium

3x a day and noticing that when i take my afternoon dose of gabapentin at 3p.m. I feel worse, more nerve pain and anxiety. should i take the magnesium at diff times? Am I detoxing?

here is my schedule

magnesium 200 mg 6 am

gabapentin 200mg 8 30am

magnesium 200mg 1 00pm

gabapentin 300mg 3 pm

magnesium 200mg 6 pm

magnesium 100mg 7pm

gabapentin 300mg 11pm

I also use epsom salts rinses with taper but only for a coupe of days until next taper. I am wondering if the magnesium is binding with the gabapentin and putting me into more withdrawal? Any help would be much appreciated.

My Medication History:

Jan 2012  Zoloft .25mg up to.50 mg bad weight gain 60 lbs July 2013 switched to prosac  was hospitalized for akathisia from this

Sept 2013 in hospital was put on klonopin .5 and Lexapro 5mg Oct 2013-March 2014 dr's tried to get me to come off klonopin five times, benzo wds were horrible.

March 2014 dr switched me back to zoloft .25mg began another taper off .25 of Klonopin wd's. horrible got to micro cuts by Dec

Jan 2015 Neurontin (gabapentin) was prescribed for neuropathic pain caused by benzo (z-drug) WDs, 1200mg dose for 4.5 months. 

Feb 2015 tapered off zoloft April 2015 Started to taper neurontin April 17, at 100mg every 10-14 days, now down to 800mg. (200,300,300) wds to hard

May 2015 per dr reinstated back to 1200 mg of gabapentin July 2015 upped to 1600 Gabapentin.

I searched the web for: magnesium gabapentin interaction

There were pages of links that said there is an interaction. Few looked authoritative.

1. Medscape listed a study that found an interaction; I don't know if it's a good study though:

Once-daily Gastroretentive Gabapentin for the Management of Postherpetic Neuralgia
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/769493_6

"Aluminum and magnesium-based antacids taken immediately prior to gabapentin TID reduce its bioavailability by about 20%, but only by about 5% if gabapentin TID is taken 2 h after the antacid [Neurontin, 2010].

2. Drugs.com listed no interactions:

http://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=1147-0,1511-0

3. Typical of the non-authoritative type (ie., no citations):

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/back-problems/369552-gabapentin-depletes-these-nutrients.html

"It did say not to take these supplements (the pharmacist said ANY really) within two hours of taking gabapentin. You shouldn't take any supplements within two hours of taking gabapentin, especially magnesium and calcium and folic acid. So be aware of that. That really goes for any med. He said the magnesium and calcium bind to the drug reducing its efficiency."

Search query:
https://www.google.com/search?q=magnesiusm+gabapentin+interaction#q=magnesium+gabapentin+interaction

2009: Cancer hospital said I had adjustment disorder because I thought they were doing it wrong. Their headshrinker prescribed Effexor, and my life set on a new course. I didn't know what was ahead, like a passenger on Disneyland's Matterhorn, smiling and waving as it climbs...clink, clink, clink.

2010: Post surgical accidental Effexor discontinuation by nurses, masked by intravenous Dilaudid. (The car is balanced at the top of the track.) I get home, pop a Vicodin, and ...

Whooosh...down, down, down, down, down...goes the trajectory of my life, up goes my mood and tendency to think everything is a good idea.
2012: After the bipolar jig was up, now a walking bag of unrelated symptoms, I went crazy on Daytrana (the Ritalin skin patch by Noven), because ADHD was a perfect fit for a bag of unrelated symptoms. I was prescribed Effexor for the nervousness of it, and things got neurological. An EEG showed enough activity to warrant an epilepsy diagnosis rather than non-epileptic ("psychogenic") seizures.

:o 2013-2014: Quit everything and got worse. I probably went through DAWS: dopamine agonist withdrawal syndrome. I drank to not feel, but I felt a lot: dread, fear, regret, grief: an utter sense of total loss of everything worth breathing about, for almost two years.

I was not suicidal but I wanted to be dead, at least dead to the experience of my own brain and body.

2015: I  began to recover after adding virgin coconut oil and organic grass-fed fed butter to a cup of instant coffee in the morning.

I did it hoping for mental acuity and better memory. After ten days of that, I was much better, mood-wise. Approximately neutral.

And, I experienced drowsiness. I could sleep. Not exactly happy, I did 30 days on Wellbutrin, because it had done me no harm in the past. 

I don't have the DAWS mood or state of mind. It never feel like doing anything if it means standing up.

In fact, I don't especially like moving. I'm a brain with a beanbag body.   :unsure:

• Administrator

It helps to ask Dr. Google about things like this. Googling "magnesium gabapentin":

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-9845-8217/neurontin-oral/gabapentin-oral/details/list-interaction-details/dmid-1207/dmtitle-gabapentin-aluminum-magnesium-containing-compounds/intrtype-drug

Neurontin Interactions Gabapentin/Aluminum; Magnesium-Containing Compounds

Medical warning:
Moderate.

These medicines may cause some risk when taken together....

How the interaction occurs:
Aluminum or magnesium containing products may decrease the amount of gabapentin your body absorbs.

What might happen:
The amount of gabapentin in your blood may decrease....

What you should do about this interaction:
Avoid taking aluminum or magnesium containing products (such as antacids) for 2 hours before your gabapentin.....

Altostrata,

Thank you for this info. It seems that this could be happening, the magnesium is binding with the gabapentin and leaving me in protracted withdrawal continuously.

But now i am confused about the use of magnesium then to help with withdrawal. Should magnesium be used only after a taper to help with immediate withdrawal symptoms, then stop to allow body to adjust to new neurontin dose? I have read posts where some are taking magnesium all day, sipping it. Is that better? Better absorption and less interference perhaps? 

My Medication History:

Jan 2012  Zoloft .25mg up to.50 mg bad weight gain 60 lbs July 2013 switched to prosac  was hospitalized for akathisia from this

Sept 2013 in hospital was put on klonopin .5 and Lexapro 5mg Oct 2013-March 2014 dr's tried to get me to come off klonopin five times, benzo wds were horrible.

March 2014 dr switched me back to zoloft .25mg began another taper off .25 of Klonopin wd's. horrible got to micro cuts by Dec

Jan 2015 Neurontin (gabapentin) was prescribed for neuropathic pain caused by benzo (z-drug) WDs, 1200mg dose for 4.5 months. 

Feb 2015 tapered off zoloft April 2015 Started to taper neurontin April 17, at 100mg every 10-14 days, now down to 800mg. (200,300,300) wds to hard

May 2015 per dr reinstated back to 1200 mg of gabapentin July 2015 upped to 1600 Gabapentin.

• Administrator

Most people are not taking gabapentin. If magnesium is a problem for you, stop taking it.

Magnesium does not aid tapering. It helps reduce some symptoms. If you do not have those symptoms, or if magnesium does not help you, you don't have to take it.

Even if you are taking gabapentin, if you wish to also take magnesium, simply do this:

Avoid taking aluminum or magnesium containing products (such as antacids) for 2 hours before your gabapentin

• 2 years later...
  • Mentor

Seems like this thread has been inactive for 8 years! I'm starting a Gabapentin taper, and wondering if anyone has any tips they've learned over those years. Sounds from the older posts like liquid is more commonly used, and after getting frustrated messing around with that powder, might get into making that or asking to be prescribed the liquid. Although I wonder about traveling... easier to travel with powders.

Anyone had Gabapentin tapering experience with some tips on this? Last time I did this I went way too fast.

Pronouns: they/them/theirs 

Started on Prozac in early 2000s to treat cPTSD, been on various cocktails ever since.

2002-2004, 2017-2022: Buspar, tapered down to 0

2016-present: 100mg Seroquel for sleep -> May 2023: 90mg -> June 2023: 81mg -> September 2023: 72mg -> switched to brand name, much too strong, down to 60mg -> October 2023: 54mg -> November 2023: 50mg -> January 2024: 45mg

2016-Present: 100mg Wellbutrin SR -> January 2023: 75mg IR (37.5mg 2x a day) -> February 2023 (33.75mg 2x a day) -> July 2023 (30.37mg 2x a day) -> August 2023: 27.33mg 2x a day 

2018-present: 25mg Pristiq

2015-present: 600mg Gabapentin (200mg 3x a day) -> December 2022: 300mg Gabapentin (100mg 3x a day) per GP's recommendation after side effects -> March 2023: 90mg 3x a day (switched to liquid suspension) -> April 2023: 81mg 3x a day -> September 2023: bad generic, switched back to homemade liquid; too strong after bad generic, down to 70mg 3x a day, still bad. Adjusted slowly till at 60mg 3x a day, much better. Long hold till -> December 2023: 54mg, still feels too high after November Seroquel switch from brand name to generic, doc recommended 50mg which feels better -> January 2024: When Wellbutrin went down, Gabapentin started putting me to sleep, went down to 45mg, then 41mg to stay awake, so far so good -> February 2024: 36mg

Supplements: Multivitamin w/magnesium, probiotics, digestive enzymes, anti-viral nitric oxide nose spray as needed

• Mentor

@littlebird Hi.

I tried tapering Gabapentin during spring of 2022 up until November of 2022.  I had some serious problems which might or might not have been enhanced or even caused by a changing dose of Prednisone for another medical condition. I am currently in a holding pattern with everything.  I would be very interested in staying in touch with you.  I just went to your page and started following you so that I can stay up to date with your progress. If you are interested in finding out more about my situation in regard to the Gabapentin and Prednisone you may want to view my page from Nov 2022 until present.

Best wishes for a smooth taper for you.

I am not a health professional in any way.  I do not give medical advice.   Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a professional medical practitioner.

NEW INFORMATION FOR GABAPENTIN TAPER

April 29, 2022 900 mg to 800 mg (11%), May 29, 2022 800 to 700 mg (12.5%), June 20, 2022 700 to 650mg (8%), July 20, 2022 650 to 575 (12%), August 20,  575 to 500 (13%),  Sept 20, 2020 500 to 475mg (5%) Nov 7, 2022 475 to 425 (11%), Nov 21, 2022 500mg

Medications: Gabapentin, Prednisone 1.5mg a day, Cortisol Inhaler daily. 

HISTORY FOR ZOLOFT TAPER

Feb. 2016 to June 2016  - Was on 150mg Zoloft.  Put on Gabapentin at 900mg a day in 2016 due to antidepressant withdrawal. 

Quit Zoloft (Sertraline) June  2016,  reinstated 50mg of Zoloft July 2016.  From July 2016  to October 2016 went from 50 mg down 2.3 mg. I up-dosed in November 2016 to 12.5 mg. Held there until January 2017 when I started a much slower taper.

STARTING SENSIBLE  ZOLOFT TAPERING USING GUIDELINES FROM THIS SITE

Dec. 10 2016  - switched to Liquid Zoloft (Sertraline) @ 12.5 mg.   Jan. 4, 2020 1.875 mg (6.3%). Jan. 25, 2020 1.75 mgFeb. 29, 2020 1.625mg (7.10%).  Apr. 4, 2020 1.5 mg.  May 9, 2020 1.375 mg.  June 6, 2020 1.25 mg. (9.10%).  July 4, 2020 1.125 mg. (10%).  August 15, 2020 1.0 mg.  Oct 24, 2020 .875 mg.  Nov. 28, 2020 .75mgJan 16, 2021 .685mg (8.7%).  Feb 13, 2021 .62mg. March 12, 2021 .56mg.  May 1, 2021 .375mg.  May 29, 2021 .25mg. June 26, 2021 .0125mg. July 25, 2021 .065mg. August 22, 2021 .048mg.  October 2, 2021 .043mg.  October 10, 2021 .038mg.  October 23, 2021 .035mg.  October 30, 2021 .032mg.  Nov. 13, 2021 .030 mg.  Dec 4, 2021 .0285 mg.  Dec 11, 2021 .0265 mg. Dec 18, 2021 .0246 mg. Dec 25, 2021 .023mg. Jan 1, 2022. 0 mg. OFF COMPLETELY

• 5 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Just reading about Gabapentin lawsuits.  The article is 10 years old - but Pfizer has been fined for off label uses of this drug.  

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-pfizer-neurontin-idUSBRE93303R20130404

Note:

A panel of appellate judges in Boston on Wednesday refused to overturn a ruling in favor of Kaiser Foundation Health Plan, which claimed it had been damaged after prescribing Neurontin for conditions it did not effectively treat, based on fraudulent marketing by Pfizer, the largest U.S. drugmaker.

and 

The jury found that Pfizer had marketed Neurontin for bipolar disorder, migraines and neuropathic pain, none of which had been approved by the U.S. Food & Drug Administration.

And yet - that is what is is prescribed for.  Amply, all the time, like candy.

When the opiate crisis hit, they switched many people to gabapentin and pregabalin (Lyrica), with no indications for consequences.  Interesting, Lyrica is a drug of abuse in the UK (and likely elsewhere, but I've only seen it reported in British press) - and yet, they hand out these scripts because they are "safer" than opiates.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• 3 months later...
  • Mentor
On 4/9/2023 at 10:55 PM, JanCarol said:

A panel of appellate judges in Boston on Wednesday refused to overturn a ruling in favor of Kaiser Foundation Health Plan, which claimed it had been damaged after prescribing Neurontin for conditions it did not effectively treat, based on fraudulent marketing by Pfizer, the largest U.S. drugmaker.

Wait........ but then why are they still prescribing it off-label?? I know sooooo many people also on it, who also have Kaiser, do not have epilepsy. Absolutely ridiculous!

Pronouns: they/them/theirs 

Started on Prozac in early 2000s to treat cPTSD, been on various cocktails ever since.

2002-2004, 2017-2022: Buspar, tapered down to 0

2016-present: 100mg Seroquel for sleep -> May 2023: 90mg -> June 2023: 81mg -> September 2023: 72mg -> switched to brand name, much too strong, down to 60mg -> October 2023: 54mg -> November 2023: 50mg -> January 2024: 45mg

2016-Present: 100mg Wellbutrin SR -> January 2023: 75mg IR (37.5mg 2x a day) -> February 2023 (33.75mg 2x a day) -> July 2023 (30.37mg 2x a day) -> August 2023: 27.33mg 2x a day 

2018-present: 25mg Pristiq

2015-present: 600mg Gabapentin (200mg 3x a day) -> December 2022: 300mg Gabapentin (100mg 3x a day) per GP's recommendation after side effects -> March 2023: 90mg 3x a day (switched to liquid suspension) -> April 2023: 81mg 3x a day -> September 2023: bad generic, switched back to homemade liquid; too strong after bad generic, down to 70mg 3x a day, still bad. Adjusted slowly till at 60mg 3x a day, much better. Long hold till -> December 2023: 54mg, still feels too high after November Seroquel switch from brand name to generic, doc recommended 50mg which feels better -> January 2024: When Wellbutrin went down, Gabapentin started putting me to sleep, went down to 45mg, then 41mg to stay awake, so far so good -> February 2024: 36mg

Supplements: Multivitamin w/magnesium, probiotics, digestive enzymes, anti-viral nitric oxide nose spray as needed

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy