A Creative Life is a Healthy Life

Barbarannamated

A Creative Life Is A Healthy Life

Link Between Creativity, Better Health Is Well Established By Research

By Amanda Enayati

Special to CNN

POSTED: 7:34 am PDT May 25, 2012

http://www.ktvz.com/health/31112307/detail.html

"Living a life of innovation needs no justification, but there are plenty of good reasons -- both pragmatic and otherwise -- to do so.

The link between creativity and better mental and physical health is well established by research. Creating helps make people happier, less anxious, more resilient and better equipped to problem-solve in the face of hardship.

Studies say that the stress of work is consuming many of us. And that stress can lead to weight gain, elevated glucose levels, upper-respiratory infections and cardiovascular disease.

Confucius once said that if you choose a job you love, you will never work a day in your life. Confucius must have known then what science now confirms: Passion protects us physiologically, allowing us to work longer and harder than we would be able to toiling away at a job we hate.

Imagining and creating give us a sense of purpose, Wagner says. If you lack those things, a pervasive sense of emptiness becomes the default. The great seduction later in life is that many of us fill the vacuum with false friends, material things and medication, both legal and otherwise."

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

I don't consider myself a traditionally "creative type" (art, writing, music, etc) although the lack of purpose/pervasive sense of emptiness certainly hits home.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• 8 months later...

I agree with my whole heart!

This is my story and how music and words have helped my recovery.

I always wrote poetry. I was prompted to do so by anxiety.

I just had to get those ideas out onto paper. Like rid myself of them. Or give them meaning. I don't know.

And when I write, I write very fast without really thinking about it...I just want to let it all out. Almost like vomiting thoughts.

Around 2005, my good friend (now my husband <3) asked me to make music with him. He would write the music and I would do vocals and lyrics.

What has happened over time is that I am able to hear my thoughts...be them negative, suicidal, family issues, issues about meds...rearranged to music.

I am able to make sense of these words that came screaming out at a time of high anxiety.

So, I hear the thoughts differently each time.

For example, I may hear a song from 2008, after I have learned new information and it puts a new spin on my old thoughts!

It's amazing!

I am able to analyze myself, my feelings over and over again in new ways. It's been a great creative journey of understanding.

I read a article about youth exposed to violence and group music making. Music making creates meaning and safety.

I was diagnosed at 15 and have been on meds ever since. In December of 2012 has been my first attempt at tapering. We have made music during this period which allows me to work through anxiety attacks and then fix meaning to those events.

I am very grateful for this.

I believe it's helped me to recover.

December 2012- off of 17.5 mg Remron

December 2012- off of .5 mg respiridone

January 2013 and ongoing taper from 175 mg of Lamactil to 50mg

January 2013 ongoing taper from 250 mg Topomax to 75mg

February 2013 ongoing 1mg Ativan to .50mg

"One day, in retrospect, your years of struggle will strike you as the most beautiful" -Freud

My daughter loves to sew. She designs and creates costumes and jewelry. I see such joy coming over her when she is sewing and creating.

I used to sew and I think about buying a computerized sewing machine alot. I immerse myself into other creative areas and there really is a happiness-centered quality about it all.

Gardening and landscaping are creative outlets for me as well.

Music is wonderful and sharing that with your spouse it even more wonderful:)

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

Burroughs,

That's an awesome story! I love music, but only sing when by myself or when riding my horses... alone :o. During early withdrawal, i drove for H.O.U.R.S. every day, singing along with CDs. It was how i coped with the anxiety and akathisia. It was as if I was hearing the words for the first time even though i knew the song melody for years.

Then, i started to enjoy country music which was a shock to me! I hated it before withdrawal but it suddenly resonated with me. I haven't listened to it for several months now. Very strange how my perceptions and tastes have changed.

I don't consider myself a traditionally "creative type" (art, writing, music, etc) although the lack of purpose/pervasive sense of emptiness certainly hits home.

I feel exactly similarly. I am not very 'creative' at all, less than ever in my own life even. But I still long to DO SOMETHING to make it all worthwhile. Totally understand.

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy