Withdrawal Symptoms Mimic Heart Attack?

alexjuice

Hey guys,

I had a real stressful morning where a lot of emotions came out with a parent. Afterwards I felt unusual tingling in my left shoulder. And I've had shoulder/arm pain and numbness in my hand for a while.

I have so many weird pains and sensations everyday... but I've never experienced this sort of thing. I probably would dismiss it, but with the amount of stress and anxiety I've been under -- plus being in a struggle with hypochondriasis -- I keep resisting the urge to blame it in on the syndrome. Could I be having a minor heart episode?

Seems unlikely. Seems like if I was having a heart attack there'd be more going on. Just weird.

Anybody ever have symptoms like this?

Alex

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

Alex,

Your friend Barb would feel much better if you got it checked out just to be safe. ;)

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Administrator

Me too, although I have weird arrhythmias and arm sensations, too.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Ok. I am talk to the nurse on call and get her opinion. I think its probably nothing but being extra proactive is preferable to being inactive and wrong.

Alex

EDIT: the nurse advised that I monitor and that if things get worse go to er but that it's likely a stress reaction. But with development of breathing difficulties or chest pain, then go in. I said ok. Thanks guys...

- Zimmerman

Alex,

when benzos are involved in withdrawal there are often TONS of chest sensations, pains, palpitations etc.

It's good, of course, to rule out potential heart (organ) issues of course...though it's also worth knowing that you'll very likely be offered more benzos in ER and it's good to have a plan for that sort of thing so that you can avoid being additionally drugged.

Lots of people I've corresponded with have been coerced to go back on drugs at hospital visits when checking the heart...when it ends up being withdrawal and they're told it's best to medicate.

I've had chronic severe chest pains for a couple of years...off and on, but pretty much daily. Sometimes severe. I got checked out a long time ago and have since simply monitored myself with a blood pressure measuring etc...

but it's certainly scary at first...

on some occasions when the pain and palpitations have been extremely acute I've used PRN beta blockers (they're generally NOT prescribed PRN but they're effective that way for this issue and one can keep the dose uber low that way too since tolerance will develop quickly otherwise) Anyway, if it's possible to avoid them that is best...they're awful drugs and can also create dependence...

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

How are you, Alex?

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

I am ok. Had a bit of pain and sweats, but it seems largely over. I think Gia probably has it. I am taking a medication for parasitic infection which can interfere with benzo metabolism while also still crossing over to geneic compounded diazepam.

I'm really tired. It was a bad day. In bed mostly and really struggling with anxiety.

Tomorrow I hope for a better day. Monday I will talk to my doctor.

Thanks for the concern and feedback guys.

Alex

- Zimmerman

Hi Alex,

I don't know what you're taking, but anyone who has withdrawal issues with benzos should know to avoid quinolone antibiotics...really dangerous mix.

And in point of fact I would extend that recommendation to anyone in any withdrawal from psych meds because a potential adverse reaction to quinolones is a neurological hell much like that of severe protracted withdrawal even among people who've not been on benzos. This is just something that happens to be on the radar of benzo folks because it's happened many times in those communities...

there are entire internet communities that bring together victims of quinolones...they sound much like us.

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

Thanks GiaK. Luckily, because of my stomach issues, I've been careful to avoid antibiotics of all varieties. Hopefully, I will not need them.

I have an herbal treatment regimen for intestinal parasites. One of the products has a lot of silymarin which, from what I've read, disturbed liver metabolism of diazepam. What I went through yesterday felt very benzo-related and I just started taking this product -- and I currently take 12.5mg of diazepam -- so I maybe that's the issue. It's a little tough to say because I am quite sensitive so maybe i am reacting to so e other product. I am supposed to take 3. I dont know what the best way to do it is, but i have intestinal problems to treat. I feel pressure to do something, which is a dangerous mindset to have, because my leaky gut reactions reactions are getting worse and my hormonal problems are as well.

My doctor, who is not benzo wise, recommends getting off the benzos rapidly to help heal the GI. I don't want to do that for reasons that I don't need to explain to anyone around here. She says the benzos impede healing... I'm sure they do but...

But, I do need treatment.

I need to minimize th stress, it's killing me.

Alex

- Zimmerman

Alex the best thing is to get the chest pains checked out. We want you to be okay ;)

If you are having a problem with intestinal parasites, take a medication (not herbal remedy) to kill it off. Once that is out of the way, you should feel much better. A parasite has to be wearing your down and causing a host of symptoms.

Someday...this is going to be behind you. Make this your Mantra and believe it with every fiber of your being. "Act as if the outcome will be positive."

Lots of Hugs

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

for parasites flagyl is often prescribed which is also very dangerous for people on psych meds in general...it can cause psychosis even in healthy people...in those of us who are gravely challenged it's good to avoid...

so in this instance taking a medicine to get rid of parasites would not be a good idea unless something safer were found.

there are actually very good herbal methods of getting rid of parasites but I'm not familiar with them...I know they exist from others having been successful when avoiding toxic meds...

but Nikki's right, if you have parasites you'll feel better once you're rid of them....finding the right way to rid of them though is very important.

Thanks for the responses guys.

I guess we all understand that one of the saddest parts of this is that doctors do not recognize/understand our issues. When I have a hypersensitive reaction my doctors response is sorta like...frustration. She/he says stop taking it. So what should I take to treat the problem which you say will result in worsening of highly undesirable symptoms? And doc says, " beats me, I have success with prescription X and if you can't take it, I don't know what to do for you."

While I appreciate the candor, I am running out of doctors who can not help me. It's not so easy as just go find another different doctor. I have seen, easily. 20 or 30 doctors n the last 2 years. That's enough right there to get me labeled a mental patient, luckily they don't know of each other. None can help. None know what to do. None know why my testicles are atrophying or why my weight continues to drop.

My psychiatrist asked if I considered the possibility I had an eating disorder. That pissed me off. I'll eat whatever she wants so long as it doesn't have gluten which I just tested with a strong antibody response and was te cause, it seems, for huge and unsafe increases in blood glucose. I also can not eat dairy at all, maybe ghee...

This doctor ran a huge array of tests. I have a parasitic infection, moderately severe fungal toxicity, oxidative stress measure returned out of range high. But she's not seen a case like mine and is guessing with treatment that 'usually' work.

I can't become a doctor overnight or I'd do it myself. And "hey try this" stuff is very risky due to hypersensitivity.

I need some calmness, acceptance, wisdom and maybe some luck. If I can keep my brain, lungs and heart, I will keep going. If I lose my sex function, I will hope for science to find some future cure. I will need the other 3 no matter.

Again, thanks for the support. I do have more pains today, but they are really unspecific. Forearms, hands, upper arms, back, flank legs... And that's not atypical. I am not having cold sweats or higher temps. So when I talk to the doctor next week, and probably another doctor for an opinion on this parasite remedy, I will mention my symptoms of the weekend. The doctor, according to form, I predict will be baffled and have no recommendation.

If it wasn't for you guys, I'd be insane by now.

Alex

- Zimmerman

Hi Alex- I'm new to the site. I've only ( I say only- feels like forever)been experiencing withdrawals for 11 weeks and I often have pain in my left arm and tingling in my left shoulder along with chest pains. It's always in my left arm/shoulder. seems to last 24 hours then the pains move somewhere else. the first time it happened i was convinced it was heart attack/stroke but it's happened so many times now I just think 'ah yes- the withdrawals' and try and think about something else.

I hope you're feeling a bit better now R187

Had taken sertraline and Prozac for approx 6 weeks each in 2001 and 2006. Stopped c/t both times no prob. October 2011 started sertraline again. December 2011 started getting weird symptoms (stomach ache and numb limbs in my sleep) so decided I wanted off the 50mg sertraline. Cut in half in december and reduced to 25mg. Knew I was in trouble as went into withdrawals. Managed to stabilise quickly though and thought I could quickly come off 25mg. Stopped the 25mg in march 2012. Went into withdrawal and experiencing for almost 3 years now.

Thanks R187,

I decided to go into the clinic just because I had a recurrence of the shoulder and arm discomfort plus intermittent pain right in the upper chest. (Also had pains in other places, leg, ribs, sides, back -- not atypical having pains except for the shoulder and chest bit.)

They did an EKG. I wasn't in midst of a heart attack, the good news. The bad news, that the EKG result was "odd". So the doc showed me the spots where I should have had upticks vertically but didn't or just barely did. He said that was unusual but that the EKG machine sometimes reads into things. So trying to nail him down, I got some hemming and hawing followed by this explanation:

"You're not having an acute episode. As far ruling out heart problems... well, do you have chest pain walking up flights of stairs [me: no]... so, yea, then I'm sure you're not having a heart attack right now and you're probably ok, your age and all -- If you want you can check in with your regular doc this week if it's still bothering you."

OK. I'm glad I'm not having a heart attack, never really thought I was. However, I also figured the EKG would come back all clear so I wasn't sure how to take his "EKG machines read into things" routine. I guess I'm a little unnerved. I love it when doctors tell you you're "probably fine" with a clear lack of conviction... That said, I am probably fine. Like others said, minor heart irregularities are not unusual in a situation (benzo flux, existing w/d, new herbal supplements) like mine.

I am going to hold off on my anti-parasite herbal prescriptions and see if my shoulder-area pain goes away. And I'm just going to psychologically accept "I'm probably fine" because at this point I am minimizing worries and already have enough of those. And I am probably fine.

Thanks again for all the support.

Alex

PS - This "my body's been ruined by Psych Drugs" thing does get trying at times.

- Zimmerman

I'm glad you got checked out, Alex. When im in the mood, I've thrown in an offthecuff "yeah, I tend to baffle MDs" just to get their competitive egos engaged. ;)

for parasites flagyl is often prescribed which is also very dangerous for people on psych meds in general...it can cause psychosis even in healthy people...in those of us who are gravely challenged it's good to avoid...

so in this instance taking a medicine to get rid of parasites would not be a good idea unless something safer were found.

there are actually very good herbal methods of getting rid of parasites but I'm not familiar with them...I know they exist from others having been successful when avoiding toxic meds...

but Nikki's right, if you have parasites you'll feel better once you're rid of them....finding the right way to rid of them though is very important.

The parasite treatment is herbal. Thanks for the heads up on Rx parasite treatment. After knocking off the parasite I am supposed to proceed with the antifungal which is the Rx Diflucan which I know nothing of except that it is brutal on the liver...but it's parasites first, fungi second.

I think you are very much right about finding the right way to clear this problem. I want this to go as smoothly as possible under the circumstances and sure am off to a slow start.

- Zimmerman

• Administrator

What exactly is the parasite? Not all parasites respond to the same treatment.

Has the fungal infection been identified?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

What exactly is the parasite? Not all parasites respond to the same treatment.

Has the fungal infection been identified?

The exact culprit not Id'd. Though, on parasite, notes say "finding likely indicates ingested protozoan and not a human parasite." Not a worm then, evidently.

From the lab report:

Parasite present, taxonomy unavailable. Value = Positive, Expected Value = Neg

Yeast/Fungi, taxonomy unavailable. Value = +3->10000 pg DNA/g specimen, Expected Value = Neg

(Positives reported at +1=>100, +2=>1000, +3=>10000, +4=>100000)

- Zimmerman

• ChessieCat changed the title to Withdrawal Symptoms Mimic Heart Attack?

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy