Altostrata

Irritable bowel syndrome: Gut bacteria and what you can do

Altostrata

Contrary to this report, drugs may not be necessary -- dietary changes can correct IBS. As usual, antidepressants have been oversold as a treatment and only mask a medical problem. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/05/120525103354.htm

Irritable Bowel Syndrome Clearly Linked to Gut Bacteria

ScienceDaily (May 25, 2012) — An overgrowth of bacteria in the gut has been definitively linked to Irritable Bowel Syndrome in the results of a new Cedars-Sinai study which used cultures from the small intestine. This is the first study to use this "gold standard" method of connecting bacteria to the cause of the disease that affects an estimated 30 million people in the United States.

Previous studies have indicated that bacteria play a role in the disease, including breath tests detecting methane -- a byproduct of bacterial fermentation in the gut. This study was the first to make the link using bacterial cultures.

The study, in the current issue of Digestive Diseases and Sciences, examined samples of patients' small bowel cultures to confirm the presence of small intestinal bacterial overgrowth -- or SIBO -- in more than 320 subjects. In patients with IBS, more than a third also were diagnosed with small intestine bacterial overgrowth, compared to fewer than 10 percent of those without the disorder. Of those with diarrhea-predominant IBS, 60 percent also had bacterial overgrowth.

IBS is the most common gastrointestinal disorder in the U.S., affecting an estimated 30 million people. Patients with this condition suffer symptoms that can include painful bloating, constipation, diarrhea or an alternating pattern of both. Many patients try to avoid social interactions because they are embarrassed by their symptoms. Pimentel has led clinical trials that have shown rifaximin, a targeted antibiotic absorbed only in the gut, is an effective treatment for patients with IBS.

"In the past, treatments for IBS have always focused on trying to alleviate the symptoms," said Pimentel, who first bucked standard medical thought more than a decade ago when he suggested bacteria played a significant role in the disease. "Patients who take rifaximin experience relief of their symptoms even after they stop taking the medication. This new study confirms what our findings with the antibiotic and our previous studies always led us to believe: Bacteria are key contributors to the cause of IBS."

The study is a collaboration with researchers at Sismanogleion General Hospital in Athens, Greece, and at the University of Athens.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/05/110511092409.htm

Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Common Gastrointestinal Disorder Linked to Bacterial Overgrowth, Food Poisoning

ScienceDaily (May 11, 2011) — Cedars-Sinai researchers have reported two advances in the understanding of irritable bowel syndrome, the most common gastrointestinal disorder in the United States, affecting an estimated 30 million people.

One study provides further evidence that IBS is linked to an overgrowth of bacteria in the gut. In a separate study, a mathematical model reveals the disease's link to food poisoning and shows that military personnel are at a much higher risk for the disorder than the rest of the population.

The findings were reported at Digestive Disease Week, the world's largest gathering of physicians and researchers in gastroenterology, hepatology, endoscopy and gastrointestinal surgery. The May 7-10 conference occurred in Chicago. IBS is the most common gastrointestinal disorder in the United States, affecting more than 20 percent of the population. Doctors commonly categorize patients with a "constipation predominant" condition, a "diarrhea-predominant" condition, or an alternating pattern of diarrhea and constipation. These patients also often experience abdominal pain or cramps, excess gas or bloating, and visible abdominal distension.

In collaboration with researchers at Sismanogleion General Hospital in Athens, Greece, and at the University of Athens, scientists looked at small bowel cultures to confirm the presence of small intestinal bacterial overgrowth -- or SIBO -- in patients with IBS....

In a separate study, using a mathematical model, researchers concluded that food poisoning -- gastroenteritis -- may account for the majority of irritable bowel syndrome cases. Further, it predicts a greater incidence of the disease for populations at a higher risk of these kinds of infections, such as military personnel. The study was based on data from the Centers for Disease Control and other research studies. The model projects that 9 percent of those with a genetic predisposition would contract IBS after 10 years. However, among high risk groups such as deployed military, 9 percent of that population would develop the disease in a six month time frame.

GiaK

I thought I saw Alto post on this article but I can't find it now...anyway...I did commentary on it...many of us on psych meds have ravaged guts for a variety of reasons. I do a lot of research and study on this topic.

original link where you can also find other links to the topic: http://beyondmeds.com/2012/05/28/ibsgutbacteria/

Irritable Bowel Syndrome Clearly Linked to Gut Bacteria (and how I cured my IBS by knowing this)

An article in Science Daily reports on a study about bacteria being associated with irritable bowel syndrome. This is, of course, something those of us who use alternative methods of healing have known for a long time. It’s the WRONG bacteria that is problematic. Unhealthy bacteria, rather than the enough of the good bacteria we need in our guts for all around good body/mind health, not just gut health.

I healed my IBS a long time ago with dietary changes and lots of probiotics. This combination, diet and probiotics, allows for repopulation of healthy gut bacteria while killing off the bad one. I initially used capsules for the probiotics. The brand I used was Primal Defense, by Garden of Life. I also used various enzymes to aid digestion. Now I make home-made probiotic veggies and beverages as well. (lacto-fermented foods and beverages) I eat and drink them daily. My irritable bowel syndrome has been gone for several years but that was following over 2 decades of severe IBS with chronic diarrhea. Our bodies really do respond to natural care and nurturing. I went to several gastroenterologists through the years prior to taking my health into my own hands and they did nothing to help me save prescribe drugs that often made matters worse. This sort of treatment is unfortunately common throughout all of conventional medicine, especially when dealing with chronic issues.

Of note, I link the onset of my IBS to long-term antibiotic use. I was foolishly given amoxicillin for my mild, typical and normal teenage acne. I took it for a couple of years! I think that antibiotic use set me up for the chronic illness I’m now faced with. Antibiotics kill the good bacteria in our systems too and when our guts repopulate it’s often with bad bacteria the good one lost unless we put effort in to replace it. Conventional doctors tend to think probiotics are woo. They often discredit such treatment. ”Medicine” did a real number on me. It does a number on lots of innocent people. Perhaps eventually with studies of this sort coming to light they’ll start to realize what they’re doing.

So the article from Science Daily:

Irritable Bowel Syndrome Clearly Linked to Gut Bacteria

An overgrowth of bacteria in the gut has been definitively linked to Irritable Bowel Syndrome in the results of a new Cedars-Sinai study which used cultures from the small intestine. This is the first study to use this “gold standard” method of connecting bacteria to the cause of the disease that affects an estimated 30 million people in the United States. read the rest

This is one of the topics I bring up again and again because knowing how to heal your gut and eat the foods that keep it healthy is key to everyone’s well-being. Conventional medicine is just beginning to understand this, but there is lots of information available so that one might take care of their own health regardless of what your doctor might or might not know.

Often gut problems are directly associated with distress that is experienced mentally as well. Many people need to eliminate foods that they are unknowingly intolerant of as well as they too irritate the gut.

Info on food allergies — they can affect body and mind both

Eating real whole food is important to our mental and physical wellbeing

For even more information on gut health see here: Nutrition and Gut Health

Good book to learn about fermentation and diet both: Nourishing Traditions: The Cookbook that Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and the Diet Dictocrats

And for fermentation alone this is a classic: Wild Fermentation: The Flavor, Nutrition, and Craft of Live-Culture Foods

Jemima

Conventional doctors tend to think probiotics are woo. They often discredit such treatment. ”Medicine” did a real number on me. It does a number on lots of innocent people. Perhaps eventually with studies of this sort coming to light they’ll start to realize what they’re doing.

Amazing, isn't it? We "patients" put food into our mouths several times a day, every day, and mainstream doctors barely know a thing about nutrition. I had what was diagnosed as IBS for years and finally figured out for myself that I'm gluten-intolerant (with the help of a book called We Don't Die, We Kill Ourselves by Dr. Roger L. DeHann).

I'm so disillusioned with mainstream medicine and the enormous influence being exerted by Big Pharma, I really don't hold out any hope that doctors are going to figure out what they're doing or even care that they don't know what they're doing. There is no incentive to make people well except for that rare doctor who cares more about patient well-being than his or her own income. Big Pharma, meantime, continues to reward doctors for prescribing their drugs, regardless of serious side effects, and that prescribing in turn, continues to supply the doctors with a steady stream of patients who are sick, but unaware that the medical treatment itself is the problem. It is an evil system, IMO, and better abandoned than fixed.

BTW, I love the book Wild Fermentation. I was disappointed when it first arrived from Amazon as it appeared to be nothing more than a thick pamphlet, but the recipe for a small batch of kimchi turned out to be priceless. As a one person household, making a family-sized batch of sauerkraut is overkill, but thanks to this book, I can make something similar in a quart Mason jar that ferments faster and is just as good.

Altostrata

Thanks, Gia, merged the topics in Symptoms.

GiaK

ah good...I was looking for your post but couldn't find it, thank you.

Altostrata

I made a start on managing my irritable bowel syndrome (if that's what it was) many years ago. I had alternating constipation and loose bowel movements with a lot of gas. Here was my solution:

• Get regular by taking Metamucil at the same time every day. This took a few weeks.
  • Upon rising, drink 1-3 glasses of water. This gets the gut moving. (Work up gradually on amount of water consumed.)
  • Take oat bran tablets with the water. (Some people take psyllium.) Oat bran adds fiber and, as a bonus, reduces cholesterol absorption. (Work up gradually on number of oat bran tablets.)
  • Eat fiber every day -- more fresh fruits and vegetables.
  • Eat yogurt every day.
  • Be sure not to get dehydrated -- drink water throughout the day.

This worked very well, resolving many of my gut problems. Later, I found out about probiotics. I would add them to the regimen above.

Jemima

I agree with all of the above except for the probiotics.  I haven't found one that works yet, anyway.  I tried Dr. Mercola's probiotic in a capsule, but half a dose gave me diarrhea.  Ditto even tiny amounts of Kim-chi.

At one point in time I was prescribed a drug called Bentyl, which I found out later was nothing but Valium died blue instead of yellow. No one noticed that I had also been prescribed Valium at the same time. I have no idea how being stoned so much of the time affected me, my job, and my marriage at the time, which was back in the late seventies.

Altostrata

Gut bacteria thrive in soluble fiber.

http://www.medpagetoday.com/Gastroenterology/IrritableBowelSyndrome/15781

Psyllium, Not Bran, Best Source of Fiber for IBS
Published: Sep 1, 2009

Soluble fiber from psyllium husk is better for irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) than the insoluble type contained in bran products, according to Dutch researchers who compared them in a randomized trial.

The findings bolstered earlier research suggesting that soluble fiber from psyllium -- also known as ispaghula -- is more effective in relieving IBS than bran.

Bijkerk and colleagues found that psyllium was as effective in patients with constipation-dominant IBS as in patients with mixed or diarrhea-dominant disease.

Adverse events did not differ between treatments. Most patients reported flatulence, diarrhea, and/or constipation during the study. Other common events included back pain, headache, fatigue, and muscle and joint pain.

Despite these limitations, Bijkerk and colleagues concluded that "the addition of soluble fibre, such as psyllium, but not bran, [is] an effective first treatment approach in the clinical management of patients with IBS."

From the alternative medicine resources at U of Maryland Medical Center http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/supplement/psyllium

(why is this alternative???)

The soluble fiber found in psyllium husks can help lower cholesterol. Psyllium can help relieve both constipation and diarrhea, and is used to treat irritable bowel syndrome, hemorrhoids, and other intestinal problems. Psyllium has also been used to help regulate blood sugar levels in people with diabetes. When psyllium husk comes in contact with water, it swells and forms a gelatin like mass that helps transport waste through the intestinal tract. Several large population based studies also suggest that increased fiber intake may reduce risk of colon cancer, but other studies have been conflicting.

compsports

Unfortunately, unless I take Trader Joes probiotics, I seem to react badly to them as I discovered the one I was taking was causing the rectal bleeding even though I was taking 1/2 of the dose.    Guess I am going to have to find a way to get out there which is hard for me since I rarely drive due to my sleep issues.

JanCarol

Psyllium is a nice cheap source of soluble fiber.  I prefer to take it in capsules rather than mix it in a drink.

Over the years, I have shifted from psyllium after reading about how it can be irritating, and wondering if my 5 grams of psyllium a day was causing problems.  While I have not had bariatric surgery, I have heard of problems especially with people who have had it and digesting fiber, especially the fast expanding psyllium.

I have shifted to 2 grams glucomannan a day and 3 grams of a fiber blend with flaxseed, oat bran, and acacia fiber.  I just checked, all of these are mucilaginous and water soluble, but also contain insoluble fiber.  (I used to have a great one called "Fiberzyme" which included apple pectin an papaya enzymes, and lots of other good stuff - but it is discontinued)  

It is my understanding that even though insoluble can be irritating for IBS - it also is part of the "bulk" and "push" of digestion, and that - if you can tolerate it - a blend is good.

HOWEVER, I am still splashy-poo (though I have stabilised on this blend of fiber previously) so I am looking again at my minerals and intolerances (currently avoiding dairy and wheat)

My probiotics are - PB8 + I take a trillion lactobacilli and bifidus bacteria in a "Progurt" sachet when I'm having an attack.  I also will add a little l.reuteri (with caution) which is supposed to be helpful for bloating and diarrhea.  I probably take less than 10 of those "pearls" a month.

Novel concept for gas, pain and bloating:  In consultation with my herbalist, I'm working on a charcoal suppository with charcoal, a little camillia senesis (black tea) and coconut oil.  Initial tests are positive.  I decided to try this when I noticed that the pain and suffering was in lower small intestine and large intestine - and if I took charcoal orally, it just absorbed all my medicine, supplements, and nutrients, and took hours to get to the source of the agony - if at all.  I figure by the time the bloating and gas get to the rectum (lower bowel), I've already gotten most of my nutrients, and it does decrease bloating and suffering - almost right away! - even if it turns my bum black for a couple of days.

Woo!  Rough topic... 

gn11

I am having digestive problems some acid reflux and irritation. I am trying a low histamine diet so I have been eliminating foods that help digestion in the past .I have  sensitivity to many foods. Right now I can't tolerate high fiber foods. I have some capsules of Psylium fiber.  Any recent experiences with Psyllium fiber and the improvement of digestive issues would be appreciated?

grandmaD

Having chronic constipation despite eating oatbran, LSA mix, prunes, fruit, etc I tried psyllium husks starting with 1tsp and found it made me worse.  I stopped it and tried several more times with similar results so I upped the oatbran but found that was just as bad.  Then I started taking the oatbran 1tsp at a time 3 times a day and that helped.  I think much is experimenting to get the right balance.  My guts is still still croook, but at leas tolerable and now when the constipation is severe,  It ake 1/2 tsp psyllium in a glass of water at bedtime.

Area1255

I am having digestive problems some acid reflux and irritation. I am trying a low histamine diet so I have been eliminating foods that help digestion in the past .I have  sensitivity to many foods. Right now I can't tolerate high fiber foods. I have some capsules of Psylium fiber.  Any recent experiences with Psyllium fiber and the improvement of digestive issues would be appreciated?

What's your low histamine diet?

gn11

I am now eating chicken, white rice...my digestion couldn't tolerate brown rice. I am also eating several vegetables: yellow squash, zucchini, asparagus, a little broccoli and onion  once in a while and corn bread muffins.  I can eat blueberries, mango and cantaloupe. I just started working with a dietitian out of Canada who knows a lot about low histamine issues. I am doing a baseline diet right now and will start adding foods in a couple of weeks. I am doing much better since I started working with my eating. It is pretty limited and I have been losing weight. I am overweight so It's not too bad but I worry about meeting my nutritional needs.

I also found a psychiatrist sensitive to food issues. He wondered if I have gut flora disruption and/or candida but I am dealing with one things at a time. He is very flexible and is willing to work with a slow taper so I'm pleased. 

Kittygiggles

Hello everyone,

I'm having a tough time with suspected IBS and/or diverticular disease. I would write about it here but I thought I would link to the latest post in my thread. I haven't found a solution yet but will update here and in my thread when I do. I am trying daily probiotics to see if I get some relief. I also welcome any advice, thank you. 

Note to mods: I am not sure if linking my thread here is okay so please let me know if not, and of course, remove it. 

Wishing you all relief from your digestive problems and long windows :)

Junglechicken

I'm also on this "gut healing" road.

I've started taking Slippery Elm (as of yesterday) but I'm also taking:

Charcoal capsules

Oregano oil capsules

Probiotics

Alkaliser for the gut ("MetaClear" by NutriAdvanced)

AdrenoMax by NutriAdvanced

I'm staying clear of all processed foods, sugar and gluten.   My diet is also choc full of prebiotics, and I have started eating probiotic yoghurt.

Maybe in a couple of weeks I'll see how things stand with the candida issue in my small intestine.  

However, I have backed off with the anti-fungal supplements and am eating anti-fungal foods instead due to "die-off" symptoms.

Kittygiggles

Hi Junglechicken,

I can see from your signature you're on a detailed journey to get to the root of your problem and have been through an overwhelming amount of ****. I wish you the best of luck and hope you can update us with any progress. 

Junglechicken
28 minutes ago, Kittygiggles said:

Hi Junglechicken,

I can see from your signature you're on a detailed journey to get to the root of your problem and have been through an overwhelming amount of ****. I wish you the best of luck and hope you can update us with any progress. 

Hi Kitty,

Thank you, I wish you the best of luck too.

Yes, I've had my fair share of ****.

I have a very supportive Naturopath who has been "holding my hand" for over a year now.  However, that luxury is very costly.

Dont worry, I do regular updates on here, but am not "out of the woods".