Altostrata

Tips for tapering off Lyrica (pregabalin)

JanCarol

I just heard an anecdote that may be of value here.

I know someone on Lyrica.  She's been on it for 5 years, now, and it's starting to give her restless legs and slight akathisia.

She does have serious, spine crushing pain, and is also on Fentanyl patches, and codeine PRN.

If the Lyrica fails, what will she do?

Well she took half in morning and half at night, but the morning pill was making her too drowsy to work, so she took both halves at night.  These were 2 coated tablets equalling her total daily dose of Lyrica (I forget the number - let's say it was 2 x 75 mg tablets = 150 mg per day.).

Well, she'd been doing it for so long, that she wanted to go to 1 tablet of the same dose, 150 mg.

She did, and immediately got gut withdrawal symptoms (gastro upset, diarrhea, nausea).   

We talked about it, and reckoned that there was more coating on the 2 tablets (more surface area) than there was on the 1 tablet, which caused it to be absorbed faster, or differently.

Just wanted to give a heads up here, that sometimes changing a coating can make a different in how the drug affects you.

primrose

I am tapering lyrica using water.

I only have access to 75mg caps as they are not presribed.

I cannot get less.

I was told by skyler that pregabalin dissolved in water only lasts 2 days and then deteriorates, even if refrigerated.

Can anyone tell me why this is?

Does lyrica hate uv light?

I cannot find adequate amber containers, i was using aromatherapy jars but once the cardboard inside the lid got all soggy, the container was useless.

My supply of these drugs is limited, so when I get below 75mg, I am going to have to make the water-with-lyrica-dissolved-in-it last more than two days. Also, the UK is talking about making them illegal so I wont be able to get any if they do.

I don't fancy going onto gabapentin, when further down as i have heard these are worse to come off and if lyrica is being made illegal, so will gabap

I would like to hear from others who are tapering or have tapered lyrica please.

thank you

Primrose... this is the third time I'm answering this question, and each time you have asked again, you started a different thread!  Do you read my answers?  Click to follow in the upper right hand corner, and you can be notified when you get a reply.

I was mistaken.. it was another medication that was deteriorating in 2 days that I was taking at the same time. Lyrica is more stable than I thought..you can keep it at least 3 days.

By the way.. do you have any idea why the UK is thinking of making Lyrica illegal? It really did help me with fibro pain. 

Thanks

sorry, my mistake.

Mccauley

JanCarol

I am in the U.S. I cannot find lyrica in a tablet or in a liquid as previously suggested. Where are you located ?

ChessieCat

JanCarol

I am in the U.S. I cannot find lyrica in a tablet or in a liquid as previously suggested. Where are you located ?

Hi Mccauley,

I've done some researching.  If you can't get it, I suggest you contact Pfizer.

From Post #1:  Make your own Lyrica solution

You can mix Lyrica in lukewarm water to make your own suspension.  It includes instructions.

LYRICA U.S. Medication Guide:  This link mentions liquid.

LYRICA U.S. Physician Prescribing Information

DOSAGE FORMS AND STRENGTHS
  • Capsules: 25 mg, 50 mg, 75 mg, 100 mg, 150 mg, 200 mg, 225 mg, and 300 mg. (3)
  • Oral Solution: 20 mg/ mL. (3)

Shortcake

My doctor just prescribed this to me.  Went through effexor withdrawal in January 2017.  Was just diagnosed with fibromyalgia/ibs/diverticulosis and my doctor wants me to take lyrics. She said it may also help with my anxiety disorder.  I'm hesitant because coming off effexor was hell and I never want to experience that again.  But I'm in pain.  I can barely function.  I don't know what to do.