SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

david: to quit or not to quit

david

I originally took ami triptiline for around 3-4 months(5-10mg) for a problem I had been having related to taking drugs when i was younger. The original problem I wouldn't say was depression exactly- i used to get badly affected by stressful environment and be knocked out for 5 days at a time before i was normal. After trying the ami trip I found the symptoms did subside but i had pretty bad physical side effects for about 2 years after.

I started taking a little citalopram because the physical ailments were making me feel pretty miserable.(but ,again I wouldn't really say it was depression) I took for a short period with no noticeable adverse reaction. Last year however, when my original problem came back for a short period i panicked and started taking citalopram for a few weeks. When I stopped taking this time however, that's when the s*** really hit the fan. I started to get horrible side effects and a deep depression that i had never really had before. I started taking ami trip on and off for last year. Each time I tried to stop, the nightmares and depression would return and so, mainly so i could maintain my job I would keep popping the pills. I would split 25mg into tiny pieces and as soon as i took symptoms would subside.I would take about only 2.5 mg and wait for about 5 days to see if I was ok and when the symptoms hit, I would start again. I have now tried to come off completely for 2 months but I am still experiencing deep depression out of nowhere. This usually lasts 6 days and then 6 days I feel not too bad.

I guess I feel like I am between a rock and a hard place.The last 2 months have been beyond horrible coming off the pills, so the idea that I should go back on the very things that caused all of this is not an easy decision to make. I wish I had read this forum a long time ago and I would have known about tapering. The scary thing is the thought that if I go back on these pills then it will be even harder to get off them in the future.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• david

• Skyler

• Altostrata

• Brandy

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

I guess I feel like I am between a rock and a hard place.The last 2 months have been beyond horrible coming off the pills, so the idea that I should go back on the very things that caused all of this is not an easy decision to make. I wish I had read this forum a long time ago and I would have known about tapering. The scary thing is the thought that if I go back on these pills then it will be even harder to get off them in the future.

Hello, and welcome aboard. You may still benefit from reinstating a small dose from which you can taper successfully. Alto, the admin will be along shortly to advise. If you have been reading the forum, you will no doubt have seen signs of her expertise.. help is at hand! Even if you do have to take a bit of 'the hair of the dog'.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• Moderator Emeritus

Also, I want to ask. What anti depressants are generally considered easier to come off?

See above, Alto will be along shortly. Amitrip, that's an old one!

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

I am not sure if I did start taking again ( and that very thought scares me half to death), how I could taper any less. I was chopping up 25mg into about 2 mg.

• Moderator Emeritus

People use liquid citalopram to taper. Alto will tell you how, she does not advocate updosing to more than the least effective dose. In your case it would be quite small. Then you come down from there at a 10% decrement of the previous months' dose, hold for a month.

Patience, patience, help really is at hand! :)

I think I would be too scared to go back on Citalopram. I read somewhere that other meds have different life cycles and are easier to withdraw? I am currently living in Saudi arabia and I also wonder if the meds here as the same in UK? The ami trip didn't seem to help me in the same way as when i took pills from uk. But that was after the beginning of the problem after taking citalopram.

• Administrator

Hello, david, welcome to SurvivingAntidepressants.

It sounds to me like you have 1) adverse reactions to SSRIs 2) adverse reactions to antidepressants in general and 3) possible long-term withdrawal syndrome from one or the other or both of the antidepressants you've tried.

That a little bit of amitryptyline helps indicates withdrawal syndrome, which is your nervous system expressing stress from a lack of a drug upon which it has become dependent. You're lucky that it still has a beneficial effect.

In general, the nervous system does better on stability. While taking a little ami now and then temporarily resolves your symptoms, bouncing your nervous system around by going on and off the drug prolongs your symptoms.

The 6-day pattern is probably because of ami's somewhat unpredictable half-life, which can be quite long.

If I were you, I'd try taking a low dose of ami for at least a month, to stabilize your nervous system, then very, very gradually taper off. You can get a compounding pharmacy to make a liquid preparation for you, or you can probably make a home solution with water. See Tips for tapering off amitriptyline

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks Alto,

I'm pretty terrified to go back on again after the last 2 months but right now is pretty unbearable. The thing is if I was only taking around 2.5 mg how can I effectively taper? I am not sure the liquid thing would be a feasible option where I am living right now.

• Administrator

Yes, going on a very low dose and tapering off can help. You can take 1mg instead of about 2mg and taper by .01mg if you need to.

See Tips for tapering off amitriptyline

(If you're reading this on a cell phone, you'll be able to follow more by using a computer or tablet instead.)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Just to let you know that I have started back on a very small dose around 1.75 mg. Will keep you posted. Thanks to you both for your help.

Am panicking!!!.....was feeling not too bad this afternoon and depression came hard again/ i took about 3mg of ami trip but doesn't seem to be helping/ this is the first time pills haven't seemed to work/ am scared/ i am sure these pills are not the same as ones I took from UK/ i still have some citalopram/ should I try going back on these?please help!

• Moderator Emeritus

Am panicking!!!.....was feeling not too bad this afternoon and depression came hard again/ i took about 3mg of ami trip but doesn't seem to be helping/ this is the first time pills haven't seemed to work/ am scared/ i am sure these pills are not the same as ones I took from UK/ i still have some citalopram/ should I try going back on these?please help!

David, your panic is amplifying the withdrawal symptoms. The anxiety must be exceedingly painful and is coloring the way you see and experience things... Have you tried deep breathing techniques?

How was the anxiety before you started to take the ADs? Has it gotten worse since, how has withdrawal effected you in this regard. You mention the role of stress in the first post.. have you looked at non drug strategies? Was the original problem stress, or was there a depression component, maybe something else. Is there a therapist you can work with in the Saudi expat community, preferably English, American, etc., but at least someone who speaks fluent English.

I thought once I started again, the withdrawal symptoms would go. I am panicking because the ami trip hasn't given me the boost I expected. I want to travel back to UK to get the original ami trip but I am too messed up. I think I should try 2mg of citalopram? My original problem wasn't depression so much as aversion to stress, music, loud noises etc which was a result of taking drugs when I was younger.

• Moderator Emeritus

I thought once I started again, the withdrawal symptoms would go. I am panicking because the ami trip hasn't given me the boost I expected. I want to travel back to UK to get the original ami trip but I am too messed up. I think I should try 2mg of citalopram? My original problem wasn't depression so much as aversion to stress, music, loud noises etc which was a result of taking drugs when I was younger.

Alto is the one who is best at advice regarding what to take.. In the meantime, do you know what company manufactures the amitrip? Did you get a package insert from the pharmacy? You should be able to get this info.. find out if it's one of the same companies who supply the UK.

Visa-a-Vis panic.. you can and need to get a grip on the panic. It's getting in the way, and the panicky feelings are in turn making the withdrawal symptoms worse. A self perpetuating cycle. The fact an imminent return to the UK is not feasible does not mean you can't effectively address this issue. You are not helpless, but the feeling you are is causing dysfunction in the here and now. ~S

The one in uk was called Amitriptiline and was made by avensis/ this one is called by the brand name tryptizol and is made in lebanon???

I know the last time I took the remaining original amitrip they had best effect apart from lethargy/ these ones kinda make my mind race, kinda manic/ the citalopram seemed ok but because coming off the citalopram seemed to cause all the problems i am scared to go back/ but i am thinking that was less the citalopram and the cold turkey withdrawal?

• Moderator Emeritus

The one in uk was called Amitriptiline and was made by avensis/ this one is called by the brand name tryptizol and is made in lebanon???

That is an alternate name for ami.

I know the last time I took the remaining original amitrip they had best effect apart from lethargy/ these ones kinda make my mind race, kinda manic/ the citalopram seemed ok but because coming off the citalopram seemed to cause all the problems i am scared to go back/ but i am thinking that was less the citalopram and the cold turkey withdrawal?

Could be a difference David, I can't tell. Wait for Alto on this.. in the meantime, have you ever used deep breathing techniques to help quell panic attacks? Do you have any on hand?

• Moderator Emeritus

talking it though is helping calm me down a little bit

Glad this has helped David, but you also need strategies you can use yourself.

• Administrator

these ones kinda make my mind race, kinda manic

This is an indication you should NOT increase the dosage of amitryptaline, david.

Give it a few days. Be sure to take it at the same time each day.

As Schuyler says, do what you can to stay calm. You are probably experiencing prolonged withdrawal from citalopram, amitryptaline, or both. It may take quite a while for your nervous system to settle down. Do what you can to calm it.

Thanks Alto, actually this kind of hyper thing(grinding teeth) is why I started to take every few days before and eventually cold turkey. (Again, this didn't seem to happen with the original amitrip?). So you would advise to continue on very small dose on amitrip as opposed to switching to citalopram? I wish I could get 10mg amitrip here because the smallest cut I can make is about 1.75 mg which still looks like too much on a daily basis. Definitely don't recommend every other day? Actually, I did this before with original amitrip(every 2/3 days) and didn't seem so bad. I think I am basically hyper sensitive to all things chemical!

(btw i tried to get something from pharmacy for liquid solution but didn't seem to have anything)

I was supposed to travel tomorrow which was making me more stressed. I have managed to re-book for a few weeks time so feeling a little less anxious.

• Administrator

I don't know exactly what's causing your problems, but going up and down with the ami is not good, it throws your nervous system into chaos.

The only way to see if ami can help is to take it consistently for 4 days or so and keep track of your symptoms. Keeping notes is a good idea.

If it doesn't help, you might try a little citalopram instead. But since it seems the ami was helping when you were taking it, I would try that first.

Withdrawal syndrome can be very difficult. Do what you can to stay calm, minimize stress, and take care of yourself. Can you get fish oil? People often find it can help with symptoms.

ok Alto, I will try the amitrip for a few more days. You think it would be ok to switch to citalopram after that if still having problems? ( the citalopram I can't remember giving me probs until I went cold turkey on it)

I will try the fish oil. Capsules or just increase tuna in my diet?

• Moderator Emeritus

Try mindful visualization for anxiety.

• Administrator

David cardinal rule for antidepressants of all types....do not skip doses in a helter-skelter manner.

Go up in dose, more than 2.5mgs. Go to 5 or 10mgs. at least to stabilize. This is a very low dose for Elavil (amitryptiline).

Stay put, don't mess around with the dose. Level off, find a respite from the depression and panic. As you said, you need to work and be level headed. The only way to come off of this is to drop your doses in the smallest possible amount. I don't know if this drug comes in a liquid. Tiny cuts in dose with staying put (holding at that dose) for a good month or so.

Jockeying around with any AD will give the miserable symptoms you are experiencing. Give yourself a rest. It's so hard on the mind and body. Believe me, I've been there....

Nikki

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

Thanks Nikki. At the moment though even 2mg seems like too much. It;s like my mind is speeding, eyes bloodshot to hell. Alto suggests that's a sign to stay on very low dose? Maybe my system just readjusting. Will try on 2 mg i think for a few more days. I'm just not convinced these amitrip pills are the same as I had before.

After about 12 hours sleep, feeling a little better today. I wanted to ask if there is any difference in the half life cycle between amitrip and citalopram. I read somewhere that because cital has a shorter life cycle or something it may be more difficult to withdraw from.

• Administrator

Yes, if I were you, I'd stay on the lower dose because it seems a higher dose might cause adverse effects.

My guess is ami is a better option for you than citalopram.

You can Google to find the half-life of drugs, or you can use Search in our Tapering section.