SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Adrenal Fatigue /Failure /Addison's (and psych drugs)

Barbarannamated

ADRENAL FATIGUE / EXHAUSTION

Dr. Timothy Morris (blog)

http://trmorrisnd.com/adrenal-fatigue/

"The recent advent of high-carb/low-nutrient food, highly stimulating prescription drugs (Prozac, Effexor, Adderall, etc.), anti-anxiety and sleep medications and supercharged caffeinated beverages combined with especially stressful lives have unfortunately made adrenal exhaustion and failure more accessible and more likely in everyone."

I'm not certain if this part made me feel better or worse:

"It usually takes many, many years and an extremely driven person to reach the ignominious failure stage. Almost all patients will seek medical help before adrenal failure becomes a serious possibility. At this stage, the patient’s condition is akin to adrenal insufficiency (Addison’s disease). In adrenal failure, hormone output is so low that there is a high risk that even essential metabolic processes cannot be maintained. Most people never get this far because advanced adrenal exhaustion will take someone out of the modern rat race before full-on failure can develop."

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

I've been totally spun out by this process. My cortisol blood tests have been HIGH. I am expected to do a salivary test soon for comparison. But in addition to high cortisol, I also have high DHEA,s as well as whacked out sex hormones etc.

Last month has been really screwy with this stuff. I've mostly stopped all vitamins/supps except for an anti candida protocol. The anti candida stuff, I know it's working, based on the furious stink my body totes.

I may add back some basics, b complex, vit c... Few other things.... Because I am recovering pretty well from a bad adverse interaction on June 26.

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

Alex,

I am new to the adrenal insufficiency world, but I believe that you are in a better place - at least by labtests - with high cortisol than no or low cortisol (Addison's). I realize that's just one element, but I wanted to share the info above when I saw reference to psych drugs.

I'm not suggesting that everyone has adrenal insufficiency/failure, but may be part of the dysautonomia we share.

B

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Yes, I think you're right. My problem isn't insufficiency though I am burning my gas to fast...

Adrenal fatigue/exhaustion is a more profound disturbance.

- Zimmerman

• Administrator

Dr. Morris: "It usually takes many, many years and an extremely driven person to reach the ignominious failure stage."

Adrenal fatigue is a controversial condition. It is probably very rare, even in people experiencing psychiatric drug withdrawal syndromes. The adrenals are pretty tough.

That said, Addison's disease is a real disease. If you have a pre-clinical Addison's or a propensity to it, conceivably adverse effects of psychiatric drug might trigger it.

Now, Barb and alex, you clearly have complex health problems, much of which may be because of adverse effects of psychiatric drugs and withdrawal. Your adrenals or endocrine balances may be involved; it seems that's still not entirely clear. Let's be careful about generalizing from individual cases to everyone with withdrawal syndrome.

Please, let us not see adrenal fatigue or Addison's disease in every case of withdrawal syndrome. It's just not so, and many of the treatments for adrenal fatigue are harmful to people with withdrawal syndrome.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I have confirmed Schmidt's and Addison's. I'm not suggesting that is the case with everyone. The treatment is not good - steroids.

• Administrator

What is Schmidt's? Have you and your doctor decided on a treatment regimen?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Schmidt's is Polyendocrine Deficiency Syndrome Type 2 - Autoimmune Addison's, Hashimoto's plus vitiligo. Pernicious anemia and diabetes are associated but I have not tested positive for those.

Treatment just started is Cortef (hydrocortisone) to replace cortisol. Possible fludrocortisone if aldosterone is deficient. (Related to SIADH, I believe). Brain MRI ordered to assess pituitary involvement.

Essentially, replacing missing hormones: Armour thyroid, estrogen, cortisol so far.

Cant find good link. Here's some info:

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/mobileart.asp?articlekey=1916&page=8

• Administrator

I sure hope this helps, Barb. Perhaps you won't have to take the Vyvanse any more.

• 4 months later...

I wanted to update this thread or at least add my current thinking. I have not been able to find a 2nd opinion and nobody understands how the many psych drugs in past and withdrawal play in, including one of the main researchers in antidepressant withdrawal.

I responded badly to hydrocortisone with worsened dread in the mornings and lower mood overall. I tapered off and mood is improving slightly from an 'end of the world' doom to sadness, weepiness, and other natural but intensified emotions that emerge and change very quickly. I recognize the feelings from last year this time (holidays, nostalgia, etc).

It felt good to have a medical diagnosis. For awhile. However, there is still uncertainty in my mind because many of my symptoms started during tapering and align with others' symptoms. I do have additional complicating factors and am not dismissing those. Until I (or a doctor) can get a grasp on the full picture, I'm proceeding very cautiously before agreeing to further pharmacologic treatment.

If I were in your shoes, I'd try to proceed as cautiously as possible but not more cautiously than that. This is a tough spot to be in, and most of us are in it to some degree, none more than you.

I read through your thread the other day, Barb, and it seemed like your Addison's diagnosis was controversial, that the hospital said your labs were okay but then later an endo diagnosed you with Addison's? Is that right?

I'm not suggesting that you do not have it but that your case doesn't seem very textbook, which is understandable given all you've been through. Of course, as you know, this only confuses the doctors more. If I recall, on the adrenals yahoo group, they're all about the 4x daily sailva test which is not a 'mainstream', hospital test. Have you done one? Maybe worth a shot?

I'm sorry Barb about the HC. I've heard stories of people doing well and just as many of people doing poorly on it.

Hang in there, Barb. I'm really sorry this is happening to you. Please know you are totally worth and deserving of recovery.

love,

Alex

- Zimmerman

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy