SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

"Plus size" v Healthy Size

Barbarannamated

This is more of a rant, but *feels* related due to what our society has defined as "normal" or "plus size" (aka "not normal"). Not news, but I just came across this beautiful, healthy looking model, Robin Lawley (Size 16). She replaced a SIZE 10 Plus Size model (pictured in article).

This triggered my anger at the medical community (with Psychiatry in the lead) who dismissed my own dramatic weight loss while implying that it was part of "my depression" and suggesting, on more than one occassion, that I was harboring an eating disorder.

As it turns out, I was very ill with Addison's Disease/adrenal failure, which has a hallmark symptom of SIGNIFICANT WEIGHT LOSS. All of my family, aside from only sister, is overweight. Doctors watched me waste away from 140 to 95lbs as my mood worsened. Only a few of those were after starting a stimulant. I actually re- gained an interest in eating and appreciation for food which may have countered the anorexic effects (hypothetical).

I now get to be on steroids for life. NOT the weight gain method of my choosing.

I am not suggesting that others have serious endocrine problems. I am encouraging everyone to listen to their bodies and intuition. Do not accept the dangerous effects of these drugs "as part of 'your mood disorder' or personality problem".

Weight gain, weight loss, alcohol cravings, food cravings, drug cravings. These drugs cause it all. But it's always " the patient's fault", part of the disease, of course. Another example of the establishment telling us what's "normal" or not.

Im not so eloquent, especially when angry. This post made far more sense in my head. :o

http://shine.yahoo.com/fashion/vogue-model-robyn-lawleys-plus-size-lingerie-campaign-184600373.html

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Moderator Emeritus

It makes sense to me, too. After what I've been through with Lipitor-induced depression (which, by the way, involved considerable weight loss plus spontaneous bruising on my shoulders and upper arms - symptoms that were ignored), a lung infection from a combo of Pristiq, Remeron, and aspirin, and now withdrawal from Lexapro, which was ignorantly prescribed for the depression that occurred because of too-low cholesterol, I'm inclined to sneer at any mainstream medical definition of normalcy OR disease. And you are absolutely right that whatever problems arise, it is always attributed to some disease entity in the patient, not to any drugs or procedures involved.

What really boggles my mind about mainstream medicine is the utter lack of knowledge about nutrition, which to my mind, is a main determinate of a person's health! :o

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Moderator Emeritus

I've gained 30 lbs since I was put on Risperdal, Lamictal and Remeron in April 2011. I weighed 117 before drugs and that was an ok weight for my height since most of it was muscle. I was never overweight before drugs. :angry: Now can't seem to lose the extra no matter what I do. The two weeks that I CTd Risperdal, last Sept., I lost twenty lbs but quickly gained it back on reinstatement.

• Moderator Emeritus

I've gained 30 lbs since I was put on Risperdal, Lamictal and Remeron in April 2011. I weighed 117 before drugs and that was an ok weight for my height since most of it was muscle. I was never overweight before drugs. :angry: Now can't seem to lose the extra no matter what I do. The two weeks that I CTd Risperdal, last Sept., I lost twenty lbs but quickly gained it back on reinstatement.

Hi Tezza.. I gained 60 lbs on Lyrica, then dieted to lose same. I use mindful eating to keep the weight off (so far, so good). I saw an article about this a couple of weeks ago, I'm going to look it up and post it for you. The non stop psychotropic munchie fixation is dreadful.Posted Image

Edit.. I liked another article better, but this might help. http://www.alternet.org/story/156349/an_age-old_secret_to_losing_weight

After making sure most food is healthy (unprocessed food, etc), I try to be aware of when my body tells me it's on 'full' calorie speaking, then send myself a message to 'STOP'.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

On the various psych drug combo's I went from 130 to 260 pounds in 2 years. I literally could not stop eating. My psychiatrist couldn't understand why I had gained so much weight and the medical diagnosis "Morbid Obesity" was put down no matter what kind of doctor I visited. I waddled but since I had Akathisia I couldn't stop walking'' Lose any weight?? Not till I had Seroquel Induced Pancreatitis and spent 2 months in the hospital with a tube down my nose. The weight fell off in not time but I was so ill. Folks didn't know it was me and were startled when I said my name.

I'm still not my old weight but I am so happy not to be on any psyche drugs and to be me again I'll take this any time'''' :D

Unable at this time to correspond by private message.

Link to my Introduction thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2477-aria-my-psych-journey/

Reading my psychiatric records: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5466-drugged-crazy-reading-my-psychiatric-records/

My Success Story is listed under "Aria's Recovery".

Re: mindful eating. The Center for Mindful Eating has some good information. I think their website is CTME.org.

• Moderator Emeritus

Whoops. The correct website is TCME.org.

very interesting fefe.. will be reading at some depth as time permits. Good find. Posted Image

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

This is more of a rant, but *feels* related due to what our society has defined as "normal" or "plus size" (aka "not normal"). Not news, but I just came across this beautiful, healthy looking model, Robin Lawley (Size 16). She replaced a SIZE 10 Plus Size model (pictured in article).

This triggered my anger at the medical community (with Psychiatry in the lead) who dismissed my own dramatic weight loss while implying that it was part of "my depression" and suggesting, on more than one occassion, that I was harboring an eating disorder.

As it turns out, I was very ill with Addison's Disease/adrenal failure, which has a hallmark symptom of SIGNIFICANT WEIGHT LOSS. All of my family, aside from only sister, is overweight. Doctors watched me waste away from 140 to 95lbs as my mood worsened. Only a few of those were after starting a stimulant. I actually re- gained an interest in eating and appreciation for food which may have countered the anorexic effects (hypothetical).

I now get to be on steroids for life. NOT the weight gain method of my choosing.

I am not suggesting that others have serious endocrine problems. I am encouraging everyone to listen to their bodies and intuition. Do not accept the dangerous effects of these drugs "as part of 'your mood disorder' or personality problem".

Weight gain, weight loss, alcohol cravings, food cravings, drug cravings. These drugs cause it all. But it's always " the patient's fault", part of the disease, of course. Another example of the establishment telling us what's "normal" or not.

Im not so eloquent, especially when angry. This post made far more sense in my head. :o

http://shine.yahoo.com/fashion/vogue-model-robyn-lawleys-plus-size-lingerie-campaign-184600373.html

Barb,

This quote from the McCarthy hearings comes to mind when I read this post:

"Let us not assassinate this lad further, Senator. You have done enough. Have you no sense of decency sir, at long last? Have you left no sense of decency?"

In other words, psychiatry has done enough damage and with a very few exceptions (Alto's doctor) has done more than enough damage with no sense of decency left.

We are no longer human beings and every medical condition is seen as a psych issue. It is disgraceful and despicable. How dare they call themselves doctors.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy