Wilson's Temperature Syndrome in hypothyroidism

amg2012

I feel that it could be valuable to many subscribers here to learn about Wilson's Temperature Syndrome (WTS).

I learned about this first circ. 1996 from a book Wilson wrote. I started taking my temperature and discovered it was very, very low at the time. Jumping closer to the present time, in 2011 when I was feeling so fatigued I somehow found this WTS website and taking my temperature found it to be low. I found a compounding pharmacy in Toronto and went on the time released T3 therapy for a few months.

My doctor was highly sceptical of "something I saw on the internet" but wrote me a prescription. This did indeed bring my temperature back to normal. Speaking of normal, so many medical practioners (nurses included) think that having a lower body temperature is perfectly normal.... they just do not realize that a consistently low body temperature can be the cause of so many symptoms such as: From the website

http://www.wilsonssyndrome.com/

Low Thyroid Symptoms

Thyroid & Fatigue

Thyroid & Migraines Headaches

Thyroid & PMS

Thyroid & Weight Gain

Thyroid & Depression

Thyroid & Fluid Retention

Thyroid & Anxiety & Panic Attacks

Thyroid & Hair Loss

And many others...

To cut to the chase, I stopped taking the T3 TR because I was about to have foot surgery (bunionectomy) and it would be too difficult to continue the program while I was laid up. One must take the T3 every 12 hours precisely on time. However, the end result was that I felt better and my Levothyroxine was reduced from 125mg which I had been on for over 20 years, down to 112mcg. By the way, no comment from my doctor! :lol:

I think it is worthwhile for others who suffer from thryod problems, or Depression, Anxiety and Panic Attacks to look into this. There is substantial free information on this site even protocol for the doctors to understand and where you can find a medical practioner to help. They are selling their own herbal remedies now which is why (I assume) that all this information is made available for free. If you are interested, you will learn on this site that certain ethnic backgrounds are more prone to WTS (the body shuts down under stress in order to cope - so think about countries and peoples that endured famine). I fit into that theory as my father was a Scot as was his father, and my father's mother was Irish.

Again from the site...

Low thyroid symptoms don’t improve until temperatures improve.

Classically, Wilson’s Temperature Syndrome is:

a persistent but reversible slowing of the metabolism

often brought on by the stress of illness, injury, or emotional trauma.

often worsened in stages with subsequent stress.

characterized by a low body temperature and classic low-thyroid-like symptoms.

often corrected with a special thyroid treatment even though thyroid blood tests are often normal.

In addition, there are people who seem much more prone to developing Wilson’s Temperature Syndrome than others. Their symptoms tend to:

Come on earlier in life, so early that some patients may not even know what it feels like to be normal.

Worsen more gradually over time.

About 80% of Wilson’s Temperature Syndrome sufferers are women.

I think! Too much!

Jan. 2009 150 mg. Venlafaxine

5 June 112.5 mg. Venflx

25 June 75 mg. Venflx

8 July Fluox 5ML (0 Venflx)[/b]

10 July aprox. 20 mg Fluoxetine liquid, trouble measuring between 4 - 5 ml, 0 Venflx.

15 July Fluox 5 ML + Vnflx. 10 - 6 grains

24 July Fluox 5ML + 37.5 mg Venflx.

10 Aug Fluox 4.5 ML

13 Aug.Fluox 18 mg liquid; 18 Aug. Fluox 17 mg; 25 Aug. Fluox 16 mg;

2 Sept Fluox 15 mg; 10 Sept Fluox 14 mg; 17 Sept. Fluox 13.6 mg; 29 Sept. Fluox 13 mg.

7 Oct. Fluox 12 mg; 14 Oct. Fluox 11 mg; 21 Oct; Fluox 10 mg; 23 Oct. 9mg; 26 Oct. 8 mg.

21 Nov. 5 mg; 3 Nov. ZERO

Weird, I'd never heard of that. My temperature is usually lower than 98.6 (like 97.5), but I had heard that was normal. My thyroid stuff always tests normal.

The website stuff sounds so general, though, the symptoms so vague...

You had thyroid problems to begin with?

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
6/08 quit Z & W after tapering, awful anxiety 3 mos. later, reinstated.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.
9/11-9/12 Waves and windows of recovery.
10/12 Awful relapse, DP/DR. Hydrocortisone?
11/12 Improved fairly quickly even though relapse was one of worst waves ever.

1/13 Best I've ever felt.

3/13 A bit of a relapse... then faster and shorter waves and windows.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

Weird, I'd never heard of that. My temperature is usually lower than 98.6 (like 97.5), but I had heard that was normal. My thyroid stuff always tests normal.

The website stuff sounds so general, though, the symptoms so vague...

You had thyroid problems to begin with?

Nadia,

I already said that the general thought "out there" is that it is normal to have a lower temperature - it may be considered normal but the symptoms are many and very real - this knowledge is not generally recognized yet. (We all know what people have thought and many still think about anti-depressants) The symptoms are discussed at length on the website.

It seems you have not gone on the website - there is so much information there. Dr. Wilson and his specialized T3 treatment have been around for many years, but this is certainly not main stream, although more and more medical practioners are getting on board and treating patients. I mentioned that I went on thyroid long ago circa 1987, and when I went on the special T3 treatment last year my throid improved AND MEDICATION WAS REDUCED after a short time on the treatment. I am monitoring my temperature these days on my withdrawal from A.D.s - I am having a bad day today so addressing this for you is difficult for me. :(

PLEASE CHECK OUT THE WEBSITE.... THERE IS JUST SO MUCH VALUABLE INFORMATION! Here is a fraction from a topic.

Wilson’s Temperature Syndrome History

Dr. Wilson graduated from the University of South Florida College of Medicine in 1985. After one year of Family Practice residency, he began practicing medicine in Orlando, FL. After two years of private practice, he began taking an interest in the thyroid system in 1988. By 1989, Dr. Wilson had pretty much worked out the treatment protocol for Wilson’s Temperature Syndrome.

The prevailing thought at that time (and still today) was that if the thyroid gland was making enough T4 then

the cells would automatically get enough thyroid stimulation

the patient couldn’t be suffering from symptoms that could respond well to thyroid medicine

It was also believed that people who did have thyroid-responsive symptoms would require treatment for life.

Dr. Wilson saw patients that were making enough T4, but that that still suffered from classic low thyroid symptoms, whose

symptoms often disappeared quickly and completely with a thyroid treatment involving T3, the active thyroid hormone the body makes from T4.

symptoms remained improved even after the treatment had been discontinued

end of the copy (much more follows from the above and below is a link to a list of physicians -216 Member Practitioners Listed)

http://www.wilsonssyndrome.com/wts-physicians/

Personally, I could not find help nearby but there is so much information available on the site, I was able to do the therapy myself... a couple of calls to compounding pharmacies helped.

You need to check this out if you have low body temperature - may be considered normal, but there is a price to your health!

Hope this helps... whew!

I think! Too much!

5 June 112.5 mg. Venflx

25 June 75 mg. Venflx

10 July aprox. 20 mg Fluoxetine liquid, trouble measuring between 4 - 5 ml, 0 Venflx.

10 Aug Fluox 4.5 ML

2 Sept Fluox 15 mg; 10 Sept Fluox 14 mg; 17 Sept. Fluox 13.6 mg; 29 Sept. Fluox 13 mg.

7 Oct. Fluox 12 mg; 14 Oct. Fluox 11 mg; 21 Oct; Fluox 10 mg; 23 Oct. 9mg; 26 Oct. 8 mg.

AMG2012... sorry, did not mean to sound like I was putting the site down! And when I said I thought it was normal, I just meant to reinforce what you said about how they say it's normal to have low temperature. Like, "I too have always heard it was normal."

I also totally agree that many things that doctors say are normal aren't. They take a general measure of the population and you have to be exceedingly sick to be off their bracket.

But, at the same time, could it be that everyone with a semi-low temperature has Wilson's Temperature Syndrome? I imagine there might be a few causes. Also for the symptoms they list... that's what I mean about them being vague (weight gain, depression, hair loss, fatigue, anxiety, fluid retention, PMS). And if the only diagnosis is by temperature, it seems hard to pinpoint that that is the cause. It's kind of a crap shoot whether this could help or not... and I'd be afraid of it hurting maybe? I don't know enough about the thyroid, but it kind of scares me to mess with it.

In any case, I'm glad that this helped you, and thanks for sharing the info. It's something I'll keep in mind (you already got me to take my temperature like 6 times between yesterday and today! Max is 97.6 at night.

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
6/08 quit Z & W after tapering, awful anxiety 3 mos. later, reinstated.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.
9/11-9/12 Waves and windows of recovery.
10/12 Awful relapse, DP/DR. Hydrocortisone?
11/12 Improved fairly quickly even though relapse was one of worst waves ever.

1/13 Best I've ever felt.

3/13 A bit of a relapse... then faster and shorter waves and windows.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

Nadia

Hi. Have you checked out the site yet? People who hve not been diagnosed with a throid problem, can and do use the T3 Therapy as described and get better. If you are taking and logging your temperature, I trust you checked this out...

http://www.wilsonssyndrome.com/how-are-body-temperatures-measured/

keep on reading on this site and you will realize why low body temperature can cause so many health complaints. :)

I have not actually explored the site recently - always changes and upgrades; if you read parts of the doctor's manual

http://www.wilsonssyndrome.com/eManual/

and check out Case Studies (table of contents) you might recognize yourself somewhere in there. ;)

I think! Too much!

5 June 112.5 mg. Venflx

25 June 75 mg. Venflx

10 Aug Fluox 4.5 ML

Wow, I had no idea. I've always had a low body temperature. My normal is 97.5. I also have hypotention, very low blood pressure to the point that it causes dizziness sometimes. I used to use coffee to help raise my blood pressure. The doctors always say this is a non-issue. Since I can't drink coffee anymore because of CNS symptoms from it, I've just left it to be. The symptoms you listed are exactly what I experience, and have most of my life. Thank you for sharing this!

Taper from Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac & Antipsychotics finished June 2012.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

As much as I'd like to get treatment for this through my doctor, I'm not going to bring it up. I'm too close to becoming a "problem patient" and I don't want to invoke non-cooperation with my withdrawal issue needs through him. I've already burned a bridge with one doctor. So, it seems from what I read at the site that all this is directly related to low body temperature. Do we have to have the Thyroid medicine to fix? Or wouldn't it stand to reason that using natural remedies that raise body temperature be just as effective? Such as Capsicum, and there are also Homeopathic remedies that raise body temperature. What do you think? I haven't read the whole site so I don't know if this is covered yet.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

After a little research, I'm going to try natural. I'm finding other websites that talk of the issue of low body temperature. I happen to have all the supplements I want already. I'll use Capsicum and Ginger, and a good Homeopathic remedy for not only raising body temperature, but help thyroid function is Calcarea Carbonica. I was using the Cal Carb early in w/d symptoms specifically for Tinnitus and head noise. It also helps with depression and bad dreams.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

As much as I'd like to get treatment for this through my doctor, I'm not going to bring it up. I'm too close to becoming a "problem patient" and I don't want to invoke non-cooperation with my withdrawal issue needs through him. I've already burned a bridge with one doctor. So, it seems from what I read at the site that all this is directly related to low body temperature. Do we have to have the Thyroid medicine to fix? Or wouldn't it stand to reason that using natural remedies that raise body temperature be just as effective? Such as Capsicum, and there are also Homeopathic remedies that raise body temperature. What do you think? I haven't read the whole site so I don't know if this is covered yet.

Shanti

Dr. Wilson and colleagues are selling some natural supplements that may help. As for the T3 Therapy, I treated myself and gota prescription from my doctor for the compound of Time released T3 and studied how to follow the treatment from information on the site. Many of the doctors who are listed, are alternative medicine. If Capsicum helps, great. If not, you may want to explore the T3 Treatment. Try to find time to explore the site if you can. It is quite astonishing how many ill effects a low body temperature can create... as you read you will understand that it makes perfect sense. In spite of most of the medical professionals saying it is normal to have a lower temp. May be common, but it is not a "good thing, Martha." I really hope this topic helps you and others. I KNOW that when my body temperature is running nearer to the desirable 98.6 or 37 cellcius here in Canada, I FEEL MUCH BETTER! Bottom Line, that is what matters. :)

Please keep me posted on your progress.

I think! Too much!

5 June 112.5 mg. Venflx

25 June 75 mg. Venflx

10 Aug Fluox 4.5 ML

Oh, I didn't see the supplements page, and it's right there on the right. I'll certainly check that out. About 20 years ago I used to be a rep for Herbalife. They used to have a product called Thermogetics, or something like that. It was the most wonderful supplement I ever took. I felt so good on it and I lost weight. When I went back on it a few years later, it didn't do the same thing and I think they changed the formula.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

This seems to have significant crossover to adrenal fatigue/failure and cortisol levels. In adrenal failure, treatment for thyroid is not effective. Also, body temp is measured throughout the day to assess adrenal function.

It *seems* that low body temperature is a symptom of a system not functioning properly, possibly the adrenal-thyroid loop. It makes sense that T3 helps although I would caution to check adrenal function also as this is a reason that thyroid treatment doesn't work.

Just my initial thought.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Administrator

Take a good look at the ingredients of those supplements before you buy!

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Yes, I looked. I think I can do just as well or better with the fire element herbs such as Cayenne, Curcumin and Ginger. These aren't aggravating my CNS so far. I am also taking 2 tablespoons of Coconut Oil a day to increase metabolism and it's supposed to help regulate thyroid.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

Shanti

First of all, after everything I have posted and posted below, I do want to state that I do not have any affiliation with Wilson's! :D I just know that it worked for me and having a lesser amount of Levothyroxine is my proof. I maay take it again.

I took a thyroid supplement from St. Francis Herb Farm, called Phytothyro :

http://www.stfrancisherbfarm.com/product.aspx?ID=5

Excellent company growing herbs and making products here in Canada - you can probably buy something in the US similar.

BUT, I doubt these products will do as much to actually bring one's temperature back to normal as the T3 Therapy will. Although you can get the T3 compound at any pharmacy, following Dr. Wilson's method to the letter is an absolute necessity.

He wrote the book that I read many years ago and there were no products. Now that they have some products to offer, it makes it affordable (profitable?) to make all the information available on his site.... I have no doubt that the reason Wilson's Syndrome and his therapy has not become main stream, is because there is no money in it! :rolleyes:

I never took anything other than the information from the website.

I can see no danger in taking the T3 Time Release - but it does cost - no coverage here at any rate.

I used the Doctors Manual mentioned here to treat myself...

http://www.wilsonssyndrome.com/patient-area/

"The Doctor’s Manual thoroughly explains the treatment of Wilson’s Temperature Syndrome (the manual is described in more detail in the store). Most doctors who are treating Wilson’s Temperature Syndrome heard about it from their patients, and then the doctors read the Doctor’s Manual. If your doctor reads the Doctor’s Manual s/he will probably know more about the successful treatment of Wilson’s Temperature Syndrome overnight, than s/he would by treating it for two years without reading the Manual (here’s a handy Patient Orientation Sheet as well)."

Shanti, here is a link to the Patient ORientation that explains the treatment. (Also just saw somewhere on the site that a prescription is covered at some places in the U.S. on med. plans)

http://www.wilsonssyndrome.com/Assets/PDF/PatientOrientationSheet.pdf

I think! Too much!

5 June 112.5 mg. Venflx

25 June 75 mg. Venflx

10 Aug Fluox 4.5 ML

Isn't the T3 compound prescription only? I would so love to do this, but I'm not going to take it to my doctor. Maybe in the future but not at present. I'm already going to step up here with the Valium switch and to get a referral to a Neurologist. I feel that the T3 thing is pushing it, for now. I don't want to look like a problem patient because as is, they already said I'm a complex case. But when I do, I will take the doctor's book. I'll look into the link you posted too. Sounds good :)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

Shanti

Yes, as far as I know one needs a prescription for T3. Does one always HAVE to go to the same doctor in the U.S.?

Just in case, you are interested, here is a list of medical practioners certified in Wilson's T.S. in California.

http://www.wilsonssyndrome.com/wts-physicians/#United%20States!California

Did you say you are now going to be taking Valium?

I think! Too much!

5 June 112.5 mg. Venflx

25 June 75 mg. Venflx

10 Aug Fluox 4.5 ML

Well, not everyone. But I am limited on what doctors are covered by my insurance. In fact, I know of only one that is a primary doctor in my town that accepts it, and I burned that bridge. So now I'm in Tribal Health, and I'm not about to burn bridges there. So it's a matter of medical insurance coverage. And yes, that is an issue for many people in the US.

When I see my doctor in October I'll ask him to switch me to Valium. We'll see.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

Shanti

Yes, as far as I know one needs a prescription for T3. Does one always HAVE to go to the same doctor in the U.S.?

Just in case, you are interested, here is a list of medical practioners certified in Wilson's T.S. in California.

http://www.wilsonssyndrome.com/wts-physicians/#United%20States!California

Just FYI, there are several Naturopaths on the list. I do not believe they can prescribe.

Please be cautious of supplementing any single hormone without a complete endocrine workup. This system is a delicate balance and supplementing with one can cause imbalances elsewhere in the intricate feedback loops.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Moderator Emeritus

A qualified, licensed naturopathic physician can prescribe, but not perform major surgery per this article:

http://naturopathic.org/content.asp?contentid=60

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

A qualified, licensed naturopathic physician can prescribe, but not perform major surgery per this article:

http://naturopathic.org/content.asp?contentid=60

Interesting. Thanks, Jemima.

I went to a Naturopathic Doctor several months ago and he said he would have to refer me to an MD in his network for prescriptions. I wonder if that is personal preference.. He was trying to sell me his $1500 "program" for candidiasis.

That's true Bar. My daughter is having such awful hormone inbalances from the Pituitary Gland Tumor. Even though she is having things show up on her bloodwork, two doctors won't start treating her for hormone therapy until she sees the Endocrinologist at UC San Fransisco. However they are at least treating the low thyroid.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

Shanti,

I'm so glad you found what is causing your daughter's imbalances. The pituitary is "the master gland" and governs the endocrine system. I can't imagine how difficult that must be. Sounds like she's in good care.

T3 supplementation has always made sense to me since it is the usable form of thyroid hormone. T4 must be converted to T3 but most doctors still treat with T4 (Synthroid, levothyroxine).

Back in the 1990s, there was a push to use high dose T3 (in absence of imbalance or monitoring) to augment antidepressants. There was considerable debate because T3 supplementation can cause osteoporosis if the whole system is not balanced - the Ovarian - Adrenal - THyroid (OAT) axis of the endocrine system. I'm wary of use of 1 hormone while not monitoring the whole system. I was treated with T4 for many years and went hyperthyroid, probably throwing off my adrenals also. Ovaries produce estrogen which is implicated in osteoporosis.

I'm glad your daughter will be thoroughly evaluated at UCSF, Shanti. I hope you'll keep us posted.

Thank you Bar. It's taking so long, and after all those months trying to get into UCD and now waiting on UCSF. It takes a lot of work staying on top of doctors, and all the while she is miserable and it can be scary. I don't know if I mentioned before that a recent MRI showed the tumor hasn't grown at all in the last 8 months. So we're breathing easier.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• Altostrata changed the title to Wilson's Temperature Syndrome in hypothyroidism

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy