Validation at long last: SSRI withdrawal syndrome

angie007

http://www.wikidoc.org/index.php/SSRI_discontinuation_syndrome

Yes its all here in black and white, now to get it recognised by idiot doctors lol.

Began taking 30mg Seroxat on 15th Jan 1997 for grief issues. Remained at that dosage until Dec 05, did doctor ct, akathesia set in along with being non functional and overly emotional, brain fog. Doctor prescribed prozac, propranelol and diazeapam to counteract side effects, and told me to ct those 3 after 2.5/3 months use, induced wd seizure on 2nd day after ct. Was reinstated on seroxat 20mg in april 06, remained at that dose until Nov 07 and began a very slow taper lasting 56 months, finally DRUG FREE on 11th may 2011.

I cut and pasted a paragraph from this section and wanted to highlight a few words that are very important to Big Pharma...

"Critics argue that the pharmaceutical industry has a vested interest in creating a distinction between addiction to recreational or illegal drugs and dependence on antidepressants. Arguments against the use of the term 'withdrawal' are primarily predicated on not frightening patients or alienating potential customers who may or may not need the medication. [11] According to the consensus definition by the American Academy of Pain Medicine, withdrawal is a symptom of "Physical Dependence", not of "Addiction" and thus arguments against SSRIs being "addictive" do not clearly make the use of the term "withdrawal" inappropriate to the symptoms caused by ceasing an SSRI".

What stands out is not wanting to "alienate potential customers". :blink:

Unable at this time to correspond by private message.

Link to my Introduction thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2477-aria-my-psych-journey/

Reading my psychiatric records: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5466-drugged-crazy-reading-my-psychiatric-records/

My Success Story is listed under "Aria's Recovery".

SSRIs, the gateway drug...

Start with SSRI.

- Add benzo for anxiety, agitation, bruxism caused by SSRI

- Augment with "mood stabilizer" in form of neuroleptic or anticonvulsant for "treatment resistant" or "atypical depression" while keeping SSRI on board "just in case it's doing something" (oh yeah, it's doing something alright)

- after years of worsening mood, add stimulant for newly diagnosed "ADHD" for someone who had absolutely no symptoms or trouble concentrating prior to SSRI

Nope, no problem with "addiction" per the traditional definition.

Anger.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Moderator Emeritus

Start with SSRI.

- Augment with "mood stabilizer" in form of neuroleptic or anticonvulsant for "treatment resistant" or "atypical depression" while keeping SSRI on board "just in case it's doing something" (oh yeah, it's doing something alright)

- after years of worsening mood, add stimulant for newly diagnosed "ADHD" for someone who had absolutely no symptoms or trouble concentrating prior to SSRI

Anger.

Barb, I've been holding off asking, as this thread will be relocated to research or media, but can you tell when this was written? I know it's very recent because of the dates on the references, but I cannot tell specifically??

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Barb, I've been holding off asking, as this thread will be relocated to research or media, but can you tell when this was written? I know it's very recent because of the dates on the references, but I cannot tell specifically??

Not sure. I've seen this on the regular Wiki page, but not this one.

*Did anyone notice all of the links in the right column? EX: "Hospitals that treat SSRI discontinuation syndrome". REALLY??

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Moderator Emeritus

Not sure. I've seen this on the regular Wiki page, but not this one.

*Did anyone notice all of the links in the right column? EX: "Hospitals that treat SSRI discontinuation syndrome". REALLY??

sigh.. did you follow the link? Not so much I fear. They should say docs and link thru to the list here! (not really, but that makes the point)

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

It's possible to do that through editing. I've never done it and not certain what requirement are for WikiDoc, but we certainly should be listed.

The link I dont understand is "Patents for SSRI discontinuation.." under the Business section.

I clicked and it took me to Google literature search and reference to Patent Applications.

http://www.google.com/search?tbo=p&tbm=pts&hl=en&q=SSRI+discontinuation+syndrome

I'm confused by a lot of the discussion here, so forgive me if I'm misunderstanding anything.

Schuyler, are you asking the date of the original article Angie posted the wiki link to?

It annoys me on any web page when articles aren't dated, but apparently this was written in or prior to the year 2007 and updated since then, including recently.

I do a LOT of research online for various topics, but rarely use wiki docs so not as familiar with how it works. I should get familiar with it, but I'm so far behind on so many things, it may not be in this lifetime lol.

But I found this All public logs - wikidoc when I clicked on the "History" tab. If I'm interpreting it right, it suggests it was imported to wikidocs in 2007.

And from the "History" tab you can click on the dates of previous versions, or compare various revisions of the article to see what was updated when by clicking the radio buttons of the dates you want to compare.

It's possible to do that through editing. I've never done it and not certain what requirement are for WikiDoc, but we certainly should be listed.

If you click on the "View source" tab, it says

You do not have permission to edit this page, for the following reason:

You are not allowed to execute the action you have requested.

I think that's because this is a compilation of (apparently authored) documents, not wikipedia which I believe is open to people editing and contributing.

But on the top of the doc, it gives a contact number for the "editor-in-chief" and information about him including more contact info if you click on his name.

I should read all the links on the left sidebar about wiki docs, but not gonna happen today...!

I was "TryingToGetWell" (aka TTGW) on paxilprogress. I also was one of the original members here on Surviving Antidepressants

I had horrific and protracted withdrawal from paxil, but now am back to enjoying life with enthusiasm to the max, some residual physical symptoms continued but largely improve. The horror, severe derealization, anhedonia, akathisia, and so much more, are long over.

My signature is a temporary scribble from year 2013. I'll rewrite it when I can.

If you want to read it, click on http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/209-brandy-anyone/?p=110343

• Administrator

If you have questions about the article, contact its author. His name links to his e-mail.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Anger.

Anger. I'm too dopey for this one to have hit me yet. And too tired. I tend to go off in tangents , it's a part of my personality. Sadly, I base it off of my younger adulthood personality because what my "personality" will be when the drugs are removed from my body remains to be seen. What I am getting at here is that I hope that he anger doesn't engulf me. Handling anger never was my strong suit. And I have experienced plenty of it already... unrelated to the revelation that I have been lied to all of these years.

Anyway..... I high lited the above because during the last two appts. with my psychiatrist and after having complained about the tiredness and lethargy I am quite certain that he was ready to suggest another drug. A stimulant. I'm glad hat he didn't because although my gut would have told me "no" I would have been tempted to agree. I mean after all.... he's a psychiatrist who BTW loves to hear himself talk. Nice.

Fall 1995 xanax, zoloft. switched to Serzone

1996- spring 2003serzone/ xanax/ lightbox.

b]Fall 2003- Fall 2004? Lexapro 10 mg. Light box /4 mg. xanax.[/b]

2004 - Fall of 2009 10 mg Lex, 150 mg Wellbutrin XL % 4 mg xanax

November 2009- Sept. 2011 10 mg lex., 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax [/b

Sept.2012- July 2012 20 mg Lex 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax

My mantra " go slow & with the flow "

3/2/13.. Began equal dosing 5 Xs /day xanax, while simultaneously incorporating a 2.5 % drop ( from 3.5 mg/day to 3.4 mg/day)

4/6/13 dropped from 300 mg. Wellbutrin XL to 150 mg. Difficult but DONE! Down to 3.3 mg xanax/ day / 6/10/13 3 mg xanax/day; 7/15/2013 2.88mg xanax/day.

10/ 1/2013...... 2.5 mg xanax… ( switched to tablets again) WOO HOO!!!!!! Holding here… cont. with Lexapro.

1/ 2/2014.. tapered to 18mg ( by weight) of a 26 mg ( by weight) pill of 20 mg tab. lexapro. goal is 13mg (by weight OR 10 mg by ingredient content) and STOPPED. Feeling very down with unbalanced, unpredictable WD symptoms.

1/2/2014- ??? Taking a brain-healing break from tapering anything after actively tapering something for 1.5 years. So… daily doses as of 2/2/2014: 18 mg by weight Lex, 150 mg Well. XL, 2.5 mg xanax, down from 26 mg by weight Lex., 300 mg well. XL, 4 mg xanax in August, 2012. I'll take it. :) 5/8/14 started equivalent dose liquid./ tabs. 5/13/14 1.5 % cut.

Start with SSRI.

Anger.

Assume the patient's underlying severe mental illness is making him worse....

Continue to over medicate....

OMG...

Unable at this time to correspond by private message.

Link to my Introduction thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2477-aria-my-psych-journey/

Reading my psychiatric records: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5466-drugged-crazy-reading-my-psychiatric-records/

My Success Story is listed under "Aria's Recovery".

Unfortunately, wiki isn't considered to be the most factual source of anything. Even though it gives a topic or issue some attention, most would dismiss. Now when research is cited, then that's got a better chance, but really, controlled studies of people going through withdrawal need to be done. And who would do them? Pharma has probably devoted millions, if not billions, to stomping out any of this info. But more people are at least questioning going on antidepressants, despite how they pimp them so readily on TV. Hopefully, a movement will take shape and many people will realize they are unhealthy, damaging, and do no good for all but a few people.

Assume the patient's underlying severe mental illness is making him worse....

Continue to over medicate....

OMG...

Oh this one is major and has the most truth. I've lost all respect for psychiatrists and will only see mine now because I have to due to ssdi. This guy has a degree worth nothing and is nothing more than a pill pusher. He wouldn't know how to truly diagnose a rainy day if it were pouring buckets outside. That's how much of a tool I've come to feel that he is. Just give meds and not know exactly why you are choosing them or exactly what is wrong with the patient or exactly HOW they will help. Please, can someone tell me where the medical/science part is involved with that? It rings more like witchdoctor than anything else. Truly, these people are charlatans who society, for the most part, has come to accept as actual practitioners of true medicine. And yet my doc scoffs at buddhist approaches to meditation and acceptance of what is. Sorry but buddhist approaches have done far more good than psychiatry. Grrr.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy