Oyebode, 2012 Psychotropics in pregnancy: safety and other considerations.

Altostrata

• Administrator

Yes, they can have adverse effects on the fetus.

Pharmacol Ther. 2012 Jul;135(1):71-7. Epub 2012 Mar 28.

Psychotropics in pregnancy: safety and other considerations.

Oyebode F, Rastogi A, Berrisford G, Coccia F.

Source

National Centre for Mental Health, 25 Vincent Drive, Edgbaston, Birmingham B15 2FG, United Kingdom. Femi_Oyebode@msn.com

Abstract at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22483705

INTRODUCTION:

Perinatal psychiatric disorders are important because of their adverse effects on pregnancy outcomes. The aim of this review is investigate psychotropic drugs in the management of antenatal psychiatric disorders with emphasis on the risk of harmful effects.

METHOD:

A systematic review of published electronic literature between January 2000 and August 2011 was conducted using the following keywords: pregnancy, pregnancy complications, neonatal complications, congenital anomalies, infant/child development, antidepressants, antipsychotics, and lithium. The search was conducted for each class of psychotropic agents. Further hand searches were conducted. Anticonvulsants were excluded.

RESULTS:

Antidepressants are associated with increased risk of spontaneous abortions, stillbirths, preterm deliveries, respiratory distress, endocrine and metabolic disturbance. There is evidence of discontinuation syndrome and of increased risk of cardiac defects. Antipsychotics are associated with increased gestational weight and diabetes and with increased risk of preterm birth. The effects of antipsychotics on birth weight are inconclusive. In addition, the findings in relation to malformations are inconclusive. Lithium is associated with increased birth complications such as polyhydramnios, pre-eclampsia, respiratory distress syndrome, hypotonia, and preterm birth. Lithium has previously been associated with markedly increased risk of Ebstein's anomaly. However, recent re-evaluation of the data casts doubt on the previous estimates. There is evidence that lithium is associated with cardiac septal defects.

CONCLUSION:

Psychotropic drugs remain an important treatment option during pregnancy to properly manage symptoms of psychiatric diseases. Clinicians need to remain aware of the potential risk of adverse effects associated with psychotropic drug treatment.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

DOH.

Let me think. Giving drugs that alter neural chemistry and function to a pregnant woman...gee, will those get into the baby's bloodstream?

Giving drugs that alter neural chemistry and function to a brain that's just forming from NOTHING...well, I can't see any possible problems for that kid in the future, can you? Nah.

I can't believe what these people do to kids. Is ANYBODY thinking? At all?

I mean, I know I'm smart and all that, but--is this rocket science? I just can't convince myself that this is a subtle and hard logic to follow.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Speechless.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• 4 weeks later...

This MD interviewed on Breggin's show felt there were no positives and all negatives for pregnant women taking these meds:

http://prn.fm/2012/10/17/dr-peter-breggin-hour-antidepressants-pregnancy-101712/#axzz2ACpOSQto

What angered me greatly though was that Breggin squashed all talk about how to get them off safely. The MD started to talk about it and Breggin didn't want to discuss the issue on the show because he felt it would be getting off topic. Translation - Buy my book on withdrawal.

I am so tired of patients being hung out to try without any help from anybody.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy