Phil

Caffeine in coffee or tea: Tolerance issues

josh488

I think coffee is a good thing to take when tapering down off this stuff. 

I don't completely agree.  Quite a few people on here, including myself, have had a very hard time tolerating caffeine while recovering from being on antidepressants.  Now, when I consume any caffeine after being on antidepressants, I feel exhausted the next day, will sometimes get very bad breakouts of acne on my body and experience pain in my lymph nodes.  One time my lymph nodes near my ears actually swelled and it took about a week for the swelling to go down.

If you can consume caffeine while tapering or in withdrawal and it doesn't have any negative effects on you then by all means consume it.  Just be aware that suggesting that coffee is a good thing to have while tapering is not a good idea for some people.

manymoretodays

I'm glad I found this thread, as I just started feeling the negative effects of caffeine since my worst hit on the way tapering 3 months ago.

I have been drinking decaf only though, should decaf be ok assuming no caffeine there? Any experience or thoughts are appreciated.

Decaf. doesn't really agree with me too well.........but I have gotten into this phase of drinking it, as well as one caffeinated cuppa just because I associate it with comfort.  Both can keep me more edgy and critical than I would like.

I like this stuff with cocoa or cacao in it.........the stimulating substance is theobromine and it tastes yummy, a lot like a decent cup of coffee.  Seems a little smoother overall than regular coffee or decaf.  And then the herbal teas are for me well tolerated.  Earl Grey and such can have pretty high caffiene, even more than coffee I believe.

mjk1970
Hi all,

One thing I miss the most about the tapering process is COFFEE.  :smitten: I miss my daily cup of morning Joe, and I do admit I treat myself to the occasional decaf now and then. However, I recently discovered an herbal, CAFFEINE-FREE coffee alternative called Teeccino, and at the horrible risk of sounding like a marketing rep for them, I love it! (NOTE: I am in NO way, shape, or form affiliated with this product or its people!) It doesn't 100% taste like the real thing, but it's pretty darn close.

Teeccino's main website is http://teeccino.com/, and you can either order online or use their store locator: http://teeccino.com/storelocator.html to find a retailer near you. Health benefits are here: http://teeccino.com/about/36/Teeccino-Health-Benefits.html, and if anyone has concerns about herbal contraindications with meds, the ingredients page is here: http://teeccino.com/about/35/Teeccino's-Ingredients.html.

Hope this helps the caffeine lovers out there! It's been a lifesaver for me. :)

boof

Edited by KarenB
merged similar topics

JanCarol

If you can't go off coffee totally, you can modify the way it strikes your nervous system, by making it bulletproof:

There is a thing called "bulletproof coffee."  The idea is great, but I don't recommend drinking a full pot of bulletproof. 

Bulletproof coffee calls for 1-2 Tablespoons of grass fed butter and MCT oil per cup of coffee, blended in a blender.  The benefits are : 1.  it's ketogenic, and it "slows down" the caffeine, and 2. instead of getting sharp spikes in caffeine, you get a gentle curve of stimulation and withdrawal.

BUT - I've studied a bit of nutrition, and I reckon the 4T's of fat per cup of coffee is wayyy too much!  Especially if you are drinking a whole pot!  Plus MCT oil is only part of the benefits of coconut oil - and I prefer to get 100% of the benefits of coconut oil.

So I make a modified bulletproof coffee (and I don't use the blender, because I'm lazy and don't want to clean the blender every day).

So I make a cuppa coffee, and melt 1 teaspoon of grass fed butter* and 1 teaspoon of coconut oil.  You could even do less - just a little fat to slow down the caffeine.  I add coconut milk to taste (I cannot have milk anymore, but grass fed butter seems to be okay)

This will slow down your coffee, and maybe provide you with a mood stabilizing benefit - and maybe, just maybe - you can painlessly decrease your coffee intake!  That's how it worked for me, I went to having 3 cups per day, to maybe 1 cup per day (today is a lucky day!)

*Kerrygold, or even Aldi Organic butter is fine.  Here is an article which doesn't mention the Aldi Organic:  http://www.foodreneg...-grassfed-cows/

I find I drink less coffee, and don't have that afternoon "crash" with it, either.

PS - I AM NOT ENDORSING ANY OF THE PRODUCTS IN THE VIDEO!  Just showing you stuff.

manymoretodays

"Just a little fat to slow down the caffiene".  Thanks JC........I had forgotten to add my coconut oil lately and that makes a lot of sense to moi.  ^_^

anonymous4317

In my second year after withdrawing, I started drinking one cup of loose leaf sencha tea in the morning. I also like the taste of rooibos tea in the afternoon. I'm not completely sold on organic foods/beverages, but I go organic whenever possible.

Mjau

The last couple of months my tolerance to coffee has been variable and it seems the tolerance is linked to where I am in the withdrawal process. After cutting a dose and especially if I'm having a lot of withdrawal symptoms - I can't tolerate coffee at all. Now as it seems I'm getting more stable I can have decaf (which isn't 100% decaf, it still contains some caffeineI) with only mild symptoms. In early WD I got bad akathisia from decaf. 

I try to avoid caffeine altogether, I take herbal teas and rooibos instead.... but sometimes I get these cravings.... :wacko: And the cravings have become a little worse now that I'm more stable. Maybe I could use this as a sign as to when take the next step in tapering..?

blazesboylan

I drink 3-5 cups of coffee a day and up to 5 cans of diet coke on top of that. I think that I have a high tolerance of caffeine though. I should add that the diet coke is only one fifth of the strength of regular coffee in terms of caffeine.

I am not sure whether consuming all that caffeine is a good or a bad thing but for the time being I don't really have any plans to cut back.

There is aspartame in the diet drinks of course. From my research it seems to be pretty benign although there have been many scare stories over the years about it causing cancer etc.

anonymous4317

I drank a lot of regular soda for two years while drugged. After I withdrew, I had to change my diet. Aside from the controversial ingredients, the acidity of it was pretty bad and my stomach couldn't take it anymore.

Raye

Hello,

I wanted to post this new topic because (topic has been merged to existing topic)

I was wondering what peoples experiences with caffeine and medications. 

I quit caffeine again (tapering), and am having rapid heart rate, aniexty, and restlessness.  I know these side effects are not caffeine withdrawal though, and last time this happened I had to cut down my Luvox dose to feel normal again. 

I guess Luvox increases caffeine’s half life I read (by ALOT) , but I don’t know why I have to cut out Luvox down to feel better again. I wonder if it is because my digestion improves after removing caffeine, in which I make more serotonin, which gives me 'serotonin syndrome' effects.

--i usually would drink 3 cups of tea or more a day.. 

Just wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences to with 'caffeine drinks'.

Edited by ChessieCat
added note

Raye

kinda weird because since I been going down on caffeine I think I been having Luvox withdrawals as well.. it sucks. I read that luvox interfers with metabolism of caffeine by increasing the half life from 5 hours to over 30. So I assume caffeine then would interact with luvox metabolism to. information on the internet is not really thorough and when I ask the doctor they seem to know nothing about it