SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Caffeine in coffee, tea, soft drinks, energy drinks: Tolerance issues

Phil

I think coffee is a good thing to take when tapering down off this stuff. 

I don't completely agree.  Quite a few people on here, including myself, have had a very hard time tolerating caffeine while recovering from being on antidepressants.  Now, when I consume any caffeine after being on antidepressants, I feel exhausted the next day, will sometimes get very bad breakouts of acne on my body and experience pain in my lymph nodes.  One time my lymph nodes near my ears actually swelled and it took about a week for the swelling to go down.

If you can consume caffeine while tapering or in withdrawal and it doesn't have any negative effects on you then by all means consume it.  Just be aware that suggesting that coffee is a good thing to have while tapering is not a good idea for some people.

Took Luvox 100mg/day (extended release) from  03/2013 to 01/2014.  Took Paxil 10mg/day from 01/2014 to 06/2014.  Started Luvox again, 50mg/day (non-extended release), from 06/2014-07/2014.  This was the start of my taper process.  Took 25mg/day Luvox during 07/2014.  Took 12.5mg/day Luvox during 08/2014. I took these medications to primarily treat OCD with the secondary goal being to treat depression symptoms.  I wanted to stop Luvox in 01/2014 but could not because withdrawal symptoms made me sick.  My psychiatrist then prescribed me 10/mg of Paxil/day in 01/2014 to help me get off Luvox.  I stopped taking Paxil in 06/2014 and then switched back to Luvox because Paxil was making me too tired.  I continued to taper of Luvox until 08/2014 and was able to stop taking it at this time and only experienced mild nausea for a few days .  I now have problems tolerating caffeine, supplements and other medications.  This only started since I began taking antidepressants and I still have problems tolerating these things 20 months after being off of antidepressants.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mort81

• Altostrata

• LexAnger

• Mjau

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm glad I found this thread, as I just started feeling the negative effects of caffeine since my worst hit on the way tapering 3 months ago.

I have been drinking decaf only though, should decaf be ok assuming no caffeine there? Any experience or thoughts are appreciated.

Decaf. doesn't really agree with me too well.........but I have gotten into this phase of drinking it, as well as one caffeinated cuppa just because I associate it with comfort.  Both can keep me more edgy and critical than I would like.

I like this stuff with cocoa or cacao in it.........the stimulating substance is theobromine and it tastes yummy, a lot like a decent cup of coffee.  Seems a little smoother overall than regular coffee or decaf.  And then the herbal teas are for me well tolerated.  Earl Grey and such can have pretty high caffiene, even more than coffee I believe.

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• 3 weeks later...
Hi all,

One thing I miss the most about the tapering process is COFFEE.  :smitten: I miss my daily cup of morning Joe, and I do admit I treat myself to the occasional decaf now and then. However, I recently discovered an herbal, CAFFEINE-FREE coffee alternative called Teeccino, and at the horrible risk of sounding like a marketing rep for them, I love it! (NOTE: I am in NO way, shape, or form affiliated with this product or its people!) It doesn't 100% taste like the real thing, but it's pretty darn close.

Teeccino's main website is http://teeccino.com/, and you can either order online or use their store locator: http://teeccino.com/storelocator.html to find a retailer near you. Health benefits are here: http://teeccino.com/about/36/Teeccino-Health-Benefits.html, and if anyone has concerns about herbal contraindications with meds, the ingredients page is here: http://teeccino.com/about/35/Teeccino's-Ingredients.html.

Hope this helps the caffeine lovers out there! It's been a lifesaver for me. :)

boof

Edited by KarenB
merged similar topics

Current meds (Unluckily LOTS; I no longer see original prescribing doctor):

6/11/16: Effexor 150 mg, Zoloft 62.5 mg, Lamictal 150 mg, Ativan 1 mg, Seroquel XR 75 mg, Trazodone 100 mg

11/6/16: Effexor 187.5 mg, Zoloft, Lamictal 125/150* mg, Ativan 1 mg, Seroquel XR 75 mg, Trazodone 50 mg

* alternating doses every other day

• 2 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

If you can't go off coffee totally, you can modify the way it strikes your nervous system, by making it bulletproof:

There is a thing called "bulletproof coffee."  The idea is great, but I don't recommend drinking a full pot of bulletproof. 

Bulletproof coffee calls for 1-2 Tablespoons of grass fed butter and MCT oil per cup of coffee, blended in a blender.  The benefits are : 1.  it's ketogenic, and it "slows down" the caffeine, and 2. instead of getting sharp spikes in caffeine, you get a gentle curve of stimulation and withdrawal.

BUT - I've studied a bit of nutrition, and I reckon the 4T's of fat per cup of coffee is wayyy too much!  Especially if you are drinking a whole pot!  Plus MCT oil is only part of the benefits of coconut oil - and I prefer to get 100% of the benefits of coconut oil.

So I make a modified bulletproof coffee (and I don't use the blender, because I'm lazy and don't want to clean the blender every day).

So I make a cuppa coffee, and melt 1 teaspoon of grass fed butter* and 1 teaspoon of coconut oil.  You could even do less - just a little fat to slow down the caffeine.  I add coconut milk to taste (I cannot have milk anymore, but grass fed butter seems to be okay)

This will slow down your coffee, and maybe provide you with a mood stabilizing benefit - and maybe, just maybe - you can painlessly decrease your coffee intake!  That's how it worked for me, I went to having 3 cups per day, to maybe 1 cup per day (today is a lucky day!)

*Kerrygold, or even Aldi Organic butter is fine.  Here is an article which doesn't mention the Aldi Organic:  http://www.foodreneg...-grassfed-cows/

I find I drink less coffee, and don't have that afternoon "crash" with it, either.

PS - I AM NOT ENDORSING ANY OF THE PRODUCTS IN THE VIDEO!  Just showing you stuff.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• Moderator Emeritus

"Just a little fat to slow down the caffiene".  Thanks JC........I had forgotten to add my coconut oil lately and that makes a lot of sense to moi.  ^_^

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

In my second year after withdrawing, I started drinking one cup of loose leaf sencha tea in the morning. I also like the taste of rooibos tea in the afternoon. I'm not completely sold on organic foods/beverages, but I go organic whenever possible.

The last couple of months my tolerance to coffee has been variable and it seems the tolerance is linked to where I am in the withdrawal process. After cutting a dose and especially if I'm having a lot of withdrawal symptoms - I can't tolerate coffee at all. Now as it seems I'm getting more stable I can have decaf (which isn't 100% decaf, it still contains some caffeineI) with only mild symptoms. In early WD I got bad akathisia from decaf. 

I try to avoid caffeine altogether, I take herbal teas and rooibos instead.... but sometimes I get these cravings.... :wacko: And the cravings have become a little worse now that I'm more stable. Maybe I could use this as a sign as to when take the next step in tapering..?

1997-1999 Citalopram 20 mg

1999-2014 Sertraline 50 mg

2012 Sertraline very quick taper due to side effects. Switched to Wellbutrin 150 mg-300 mg. Reinstated Sertraline 25 mg-50 mg.

2013 Exhaustion. Wellbutrin 150 mg. Sertraline 75 mg-100 mg.

Sept 2014 Found this site. Started tapering. Sertraline 87,5 mg + Wellbutrin 150 mg 

Aug 2015 No more Wellbutrin!! Sertraline 50 mg

2016 Sertraline 35 mg (January) - 33 mg (March 21st) - 32,5 mg (July 11) - 32 mg (July 27)

2017 March 28,2 mg and holding

I drink 3-5 cups of coffee a day and up to 5 cans of diet coke on top of that. I think that I have a high tolerance of caffeine though. I should add that the diet coke is only one fifth of the strength of regular coffee in terms of caffeine.

I am not sure whether consuming all that caffeine is a good or a bad thing but for the time being I don't really have any plans to cut back.

There is aspartame in the diet drinks of course. From my research it seems to be pretty benign although there have been many scare stories over the years about it causing cancer etc.

Previously - zopiclone, risperidone, lyrica (pregabalin), ativan (lorezapam)
01/Aug/2016 -  65mg effexor, 4.5mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
12/Aug/2016 -  75mg effexor, 4.5mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
03/Oct/2016 -  70mg effexor, 4.5mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
29/Oct/2016 -  65mg effexor, 4.5mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
25/Nov/2016 -  65mg effexor, 4mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
25/Dec/2016 -  60mg effexor, 3.6mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
18/Jan/2017 -  60mg effexor, 5.25mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
27/Mar/2017 -  54mg effexor, 5.25mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
23/Apr/2017 -  54mg effexor, 7.5mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
09/May/2017 -  75mg effexor, 7.5mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
08/Jun/2017 -  75mg effexor, 6.75mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
18/Jul/2017 -  75mg effexor, 6mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
Sometimes valium. Not daily. Supplements - Sterols and Stanols.
Note : I would really hope that nobody uses my tapering history as a guideline. It might not work well for somebody else tapering similar medications.

I drank a lot of regular soda for two years while drugged. After I withdrew, I had to change my diet. Aside from the controversial ingredients, the acidity of it was pretty bad and my stomach couldn't take it anymore.

• 1 year later...

So, has anyone come across an alternative to caffeine/a cup of coffee for when the fatigue is high but you absolutely need some energy? I stay away from caffeine completely now - just do not want to risk triggering any anxiety or jitters. But on some days - especially after a bad night of not getting enough sleep (a problem for a lot of us in recovery) - I feel the need for some sort of energizer to get me through the day, especially if I have to work and a nap is out of the question.

So, what do some of you folks use?

SJ

Main thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/14472-shakeyjerr-say-hello/

History: Prozac & Lithium from 1999 to 2003. Ended up back on after 4 months because taking a beta-blocker caused immediate depression (just 2 doses - turned out I didn't even need it; I had no other withdrawal symptoms - I might have ended up med and withdrawal-free otherwise :(). - Switched to Effexor (75mg 3/day) and Seroquel (50mg 3/day) in 2010. - Did a self-taper during 2016. - Developed Discontinuation Syndrome 02/17.

Supplements: Magnesium-Glycinate 400mg split into 4 100mg doses throughout the day. Vitamin C 500mg - once per day. Fish Oil 1360 mg (950 mg Active Omega-3) - twice per day.

I'm not a doctor. I use the internet, experience, and trial & error. Seek medical advice if necessary.

try matcha green tea, this does have caffeine but also amino acids that give you a calm energy, I can not drink coffee as it gives me anxiety and panic attacks but matcha green tea does not cause me any anxiety and gives me lots of energy, i have however recently since stopped taking it and a number of other supplements as trying to sort my insomnia out,

2001 - 2005 prozac,  2001 - 2017 various benzos, mainly diazapem and zanex,  2002 - 2017 olanzapine or seroquel,  2002 -2017 propanolol, 2005 - 2009 venlafaxine 75mg , forced to go cold turkey off venlafaxine as moved Thailand, doctor cut me off and couldn't get it there, severely ill for over 2 years, countered withdrawals with more zanex and seroquel

2014 returned to UK, mainly to get treatment getting off meds

doctor advised to taper seroquel over a few weeks, severely ill and bed bed-bound so reinstated it, 2015 tapered seroquel myself slower over a few months, was off it 2 months and was too ill so went on olanzapine, became zombie and too tired to get out of bed, went back on seroquel, very depressed so went back on venlafaxine, didnt work  so doctor swapped to zoloft became very agitated so back on venlafaxine

June 2016 - felt strong enough to begin tapering again, started what I thought was a slow taper of all meds,  2016 July Not had any alcoholic drink since this date, 

2016 October completely off diazepem, 2017 Feb completely off seroquel, 2017 March completely off proponanlol, 2017 April (day before birthday) completely off venlafaxine, OFF ALL MEDS 11/4/2017, was fine for nearly 3 months and then delayed withdrawal hit,

supplements taking: turmeric capsules, NiaCel (nicotinamide riboside), Vit B12 sublingual, Vit B3, Vit B6, Vit B1, apple cider vinegar, manuka umf 10 honey, camu camu powder,  melatonin when needed, epsom salt baths, juices, smoothies, 

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15175-dj2010-off-all-meds-for-3-months-and-been-fine-now-bad-insomnia/

For energy it's tough, I relied on caffeine alot before wd . Now no caffeine for me only in very small amount. Matcha is great and taste really nice but has a decent amount of caffeine.  Have to see if its okay for you.  

Other than that homemade electrolyte drink could  help , raw honey maybe a few spoons ,half a squeezed Lemon and some kind of unprocessed salt like sea or Himalayan.  Mixed it all together with some water and see if it helps.  Other suggestions can be a homemade fruit /vegetable drink or protein smoothie  But all this takes lots of time I know . 

Nothing used to beat that quick cup of coffee with some cream or milk ! Wow I miss those days! 

Was on 30mg (Lexapro) for 7-8yrs20mg for 3 months (This was my choice my Doc wanted me to drop much faster)15 mg 2week10mg 2 weeks 5 mg 1 week0 since August 24th . PPI Dexlant  30 mg taper has begun. Cutting 20% currently.  using zantac as needed.  Benzo is currently 0.10mg 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Alternatives to caffeine that won't cause anxiety?
On 7/25/2017 at 4:03 PM, Mort81 said:

Other than that homemade electrolyte drink could  help , raw honey maybe a few spoons ,half a squeezed Lemon and some kind of unprocessed salt like sea or Himalayan.

interesting idea. I'll have to give it a try!

Thanks!

SJ

Main thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/14472-shakeyjerr-say-hello/

History: Prozac & Lithium from 1999 to 2003. Ended up back on after 4 months because taking a beta-blocker caused immediate depression (just 2 doses - turned out I didn't even need it; I had no other withdrawal symptoms - I might have ended up med and withdrawal-free otherwise :(). - Switched to Effexor (75mg 3/day) and Seroquel (50mg 3/day) in 2010. - Did a self-taper during 2016. - Developed Discontinuation Syndrome 02/17.

Supplements: Magnesium-Glycinate 400mg split into 4 100mg doses throughout the day. Vitamin C 500mg - once per day. Fish Oil 1360 mg (950 mg Active Omega-3) - twice per day.

I'm not a doctor. I use the internet, experience, and trial & error. Seek medical advice if necessary.

• 3 months later...

Hello,

I wanted to post this new topic because (topic has been merged to existing topic)

I was wondering what peoples experiences with caffeine and medications. 

I quit caffeine again (tapering), and am having rapid heart rate, aniexty, and restlessness.  I know these side effects are not caffeine withdrawal though, and last time this happened I had to cut down my Luvox dose to feel normal again. 

I guess Luvox increases caffeine’s half life I read (by ALOT) , but I don’t know why I have to cut out Luvox down to feel better again. I wonder if it is because my digestion improves after removing caffeine, in which I make more serotonin, which gives me 'serotonin syndrome' effects.

--i usually would drink 3 cups of tea or more a day.. 

Just wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences to with 'caffeine drinks'.

Edited by ChessieCat
added note

2014-2015. Was on Luvox for about a year or more. Withdrew to fast in only 2 months but felt fine. (highest dose was 800mg which is over 2x the maximum safe dose..tapered off 50mg every week). Was also on klonopin for a few months. Do not remember the details. 

(Klonopin 1 mg for a month, second time on it, in May 2016 and tapered .25mg through early aug)
(Tapered off Klonopin as i went on Luvox)  
-Off klonopin-
2016-present 
Back on Luvox in 2016 of June..(400 mg 8/26/2016).. (350mg 8/26/2016).. (300mg 09/04/2016).. (250mg 09/08/2016).. (tried to taper to 225mg 03/07/2017 didn't work).. (240mg  04/04/2017).. (230mg 04/27/2017).. (225mg 05/12/2017)...(223mg 09/28/2017)...(222mg 05/01/2018)...(220mg 05/21/2018)...(218mg 09/01/18)...(216mg 02/21/19)  (03/15/2019-08/30/19)had a serve drug interaction took a long time to recover and find the right dose)  (08/30/19 199mg)...(09/24/19 198mg) (feeling more human)
04/01/20-jan 75mg- 100mg... February 1st -present.. about 116mg a day
had terrible suicidal thoughts from the effects of drugs for 6 months - has gotten better but at times can return at times

• 2 weeks later...

kinda weird because since I been going down on caffeine I think I been having Luvox withdrawals as well.. it sucks. I read that luvox interfers with metabolism of caffeine by increasing the half life from 5 hours to over 30. So I assume caffeine then would interact with luvox metabolism to. information on the internet is not really thorough and when I ask the doctor they seem to know nothing about it 

2014-2015. Was on Luvox for about a year or more. Withdrew to fast in only 2 months but felt fine. (highest dose was 800mg which is over 2x the maximum safe dose..tapered off 50mg every week). Was also on klonopin for a few months. Do not remember the details. 

(Klonopin 1 mg for a month, second time on it, in May 2016 and tapered .25mg through early aug)
(Tapered off Klonopin as i went on Luvox)  
-Off klonopin-
2016-present 
Back on Luvox in 2016 of June..(400 mg 8/26/2016).. (350mg 8/26/2016).. (300mg 09/04/2016).. (250mg 09/08/2016).. (tried to taper to 225mg 03/07/2017 didn't work).. (240mg  04/04/2017).. (230mg 04/27/2017).. (225mg 05/12/2017)...(223mg 09/28/2017)...(222mg 05/01/2018)...(220mg 05/21/2018)...(218mg 09/01/18)...(216mg 02/21/19)  (03/15/2019-08/30/19)had a serve drug interaction took a long time to recover and find the right dose)  (08/30/19 199mg)...(09/24/19 198mg) (feeling more human)
04/01/20-jan 75mg- 100mg... February 1st -present.. about 116mg a day
had terrible suicidal thoughts from the effects of drugs for 6 months - has gotten better but at times can return at times

• Moderator Emeritus

Mountain Dew contains caffeine.

From https://www.caffeineinformer.com/caffeine-content/mountain-dew

Mountain Dew is a popular carbonated drink made by PepsiCo. What surprises many people is the level of caffeine in Mountain Dew - at 54mg it is significantly higher than Coca-cola

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

I tried to cut down on caffeine by changing some of my servings to either half caf and de caf.

I didn't know about the neuro toxin chemical Methylene chloride slowing down the central nervous system.

Or that it's been known to land even  "healthy" people in the E.R. with migraines.

Or that excess intake of decaffeinated coffee  may lead to myocardial infarction or heart attack and increases LDL Cholesterol levels.

So if you change to decaf due to withdrawal, do some research, those headaches might not be caffeine withdrawal it could be the chemical.

It can also make arthritis worse. You can find decaf made without the chemical, but you may need to order it, and expect to pay more.

This is about even decaf stimulating the sympathetic nervous system:

https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/pdf/10.1161/01.cir.0000046228.97025.3a

Edited by Colonial

Starting ds 2 (12.5 CR'S) = 25 MG PAXIL CR 1/21/15: 1 Pill + 10mg liquid (2 weeks) 2/4: 1 Pill + 9mg Lq (3 weeks) 2/25: 1 Pill + 8 mg lq (1 week) 3/4: 1 Pill + 6 mg lq (2 weeks) 3/18/15 1 Pill + 4 mg lq (2 weeks) 4/1/15 1 Pill + 3 mg lq (2 weeks) 4/14/15 1 Pill + 2 mg lq (2 weeks) 4/29/15 1Pill + 1 mg lq (16 days) 5/15/15 1 12.5 mg Pill ONLY (9 days) 5/24/15 12 mgs liquid (8 days) 6/1/15 11mg lq (12 days) 6/13/15 10 mg.  12/3/15 Drop from 8mg to 7.6 (24 days to) 12/27/15 7.2mgs 8/4/16 6.8mgs,  11/1/16 6.4mgs, 2/5/17 6 mgs  4/3/17 5.6mgs, 4/24/17 5.2mg, 6/13/17 4.8mgs, 9/20/17 4.4mgS, 11/23/17 4 mgs, 1/1/18 3.6 mgs, 2/15/18 3.2 mgs. 4/13/18 2.8mgs, 5/11/18 2.4mgs, 6/10/18 2.0 mgs, 8/4/18 1.6mgs,  9/27/18 1.2mgs, 12/24/18 0.8mg, 3/24/19 0.64 mg,(syringe change issue date?) 4/22/19 0.60 mg, 5/24/19 0.60 mg, 7/7/19 0.52 mgs, 8/4/19 0.44mgs, 11/4/19 0.36mgs, 2/1/20 0.28mgs, 3/1/20 0.24mgs (crash April 6) Compound started 6/28/21: 0.24mgs, 8/29/21: 0.22mgs, 10/31/21: 0.20mgs, 1/03/22: 0.18mgs, 3/5/22: 0.16mgs, 5/5/22: 0.14mgs.

Original Wellbutrin Dose: 6 months from 9/14 to 3/2015, 300 XL 3/15/15: Half to 150 XL ( severe symptoms started on day 12) 4/16/15: 125mg   for 20 days to: 5/6/15:   100mg  for  15 days to: 5/21/15    75mg  for  10 days to: 6/1/15:  56.25mg      13 days to: 6/13/15: 37.25mg    7 days to: 6/20/15  28.12mg   14 days to: 7/4/15  18.75mg, 7 days to: 7/11/15; RAISE BACK TO: 28.12 to 8/14/15: 18.75mg  20 days to :9/3/15 : 12.5mg, 8/4/16 9mg 1/9/17: 8.5mg 2/8/17 8mg, 3/9/17: 7.6  4/9/17  7.2  5/27/17 6.4 6/24/17 5.8, 8/1/17 5.0, 8/29/17 4.2mgs, 10/2/17 3.5mgs, 12/28/17 2.5mgs, 2/27/18 1.7mgs,  4/19/18 0.8 mgs, LAST DOSE: 6/11/18:  3 YEARS, 2 MONTHS, 27 DAYS...

• 8 months later...

Before i taper off, i could drink alot of coffee without getting side effect.

since i came clean my Caffeine tollerance is now on zero, also with other stimulants Also energy drinks eventho i do not drink them except on special occasions which one or two in a year. except  only alcohol,and certain supplements have no side effect.(and i never do drugs)

when i could drink 3 capucchino's right now i will get a rush from only 1.

it started half way. so i stopped drinking coffee for a while.

a very mild headage, raising heart, tremors, but more agitated & agressive . just mild discomfort especially when sitting in heath. a caffeine kick for only 1 cup black coffee sounds a bit off.

my heart is actually healthy and my liver too. i got checked on not for this reason..

Can anyone explain why my caffeine tolerance is now gone from 10 to 0 real quick.

2014-2020 Haloperidol
2017-2021 Zoloft
2018-2021 Issues zoloft so i decreased on both Haloperidol

November 2020 Taper down Haloperidol(barely any issues)
March 2021 taper down from zoloft(alot of issues)
Zoloft taperdown from march till late june
25mg was my dosage, may 10mg(from 10 too 5 was hard), 5mg in end of june every lowar dosage gave me alot of issues. clean in end of june.

Hi, caffeine triggers your nervous system which is sentisized now. Have the same. Also sugar is a no-go for me now.

Citalopram augustus 2020 - 20 mg untill 14 february 2021 quit cold turkey. No alcohol use or other medicine. No surgery.  Only adviced supplements and little bit of vitamine D because of defficieny. 

Explains alot..

anyother overstimulating nerve system food i should avoid. do you have any tips for this? is avoiding it the only option

And do you know how to fix my nerve system?

2014-2020 Haloperidol
2017-2021 Zoloft
2018-2021 Issues zoloft so i decreased on both Haloperidol

November 2020 Taper down Haloperidol(barely any issues)
March 2021 taper down from zoloft(alot of issues)
Zoloft taperdown from march till late june
25mg was my dosage, may 10mg(from 10 too 5 was hard), 5mg in end of june every lowar dosage gave me alot of issues. clean in end of june.

• Administrator

Please use search in the Symptoms and Self-Care forum before starting new topics. Just about anything you can think of has been discussed before.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 1 month later...

I always drank one or two cups of coffee a day even during withdrawal, never had sleeping problems or anything. Two months ago after having a bad reaction to drops to control eye pressure, during an eye examination called Oxybuprocaine. I seem to have developed an intolerance to caffeine, I just have to drink a cup of coffee at 10 in the morning, I not to sleep all night, and literally stay up all night. But I tolerate decaf and I consume that, because I love to feel the taste of coffee in my mouth :) 

2001, Amisulpride (deniban) - 3 months, I taper in some weeks

2001, Seroquel, 4 weeks - quit cold turkey, 2001. Efexxor,  one pill adverse reaction

2002. Amitryptaline (mutabon mite) - 4 months, I taper really faster in some weeks

around more 10 years drug free

4 December 2013, 7 drops of citalopram , adverse reaction

December    2013, Italian supplement called serenplus with tryptophan, 9 pills adverse reaction, quit cold turkey.

After December 2013, Im drug free.

Caffeine and other dangers

Hi

I know this has been broached a number of times on the forums but I almost feel like even a 1/3 cup of coffee is throwing me off, even the next day.   It's so hard to know for sure what the cause is.   I've also noticed that a little bit of cbd to sleep, maybe six or seven milligrams throws me off the next day.  

This is far from a scientific question but I'm just curious what you suspect might be triggers for making withdrawal harder?

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with existing topic

1995-2006 paroxetine 20 mgs. Early 2007 tapered to zero mgs paroxetine, colitis flare triggered.  Mid 2007 back to 20 mg paroxetine to stop flare.  2007 to 2019 stay at 20 mg.  2019 through 2022 continually lowered dose at first by 5mg a time then by about 2 mg at a time.   Tapered slower as symptoms increased. 

2021 Nov 1 paxil 7.0mg starting to drop by 2.5 percent a week with 2 week holds to reduce colitis symptoms

2022 Mar 30 paxil 6.175 mg and it's caused colitis flare 

2022 May paxil 6 mg.  Drop by 1.75mg. Added 600 mg ashwagandha 2022

sept 1 stopped ashwagandha.  Then continue lowering Paxil by 2.5% every month or so

2023 mar 1 5.85 mg. Can’t imagine going lower. Feel mentally off too often.  Panic feelings that I did not have before. 
I avoid caffeine, I sleep 8 hrs a Night, no alcohol no other mood altering drugs. Eat well and exercise lightly, daily. Blood sugar ok. 
Stuck with little emotional buffer, vertigo is nearby. Panic.  Feels like withdrawal symptoms recur/very slow to recede

Coffee, or more correctly caffeine, directly affects both the neurotransmitters dopamine and glutamate which are major contributors to the the ADWD process. This happens even more so for Alcohol and Marijuana, which affect several other neurotransmitters as well. Because their use is so prevalent in society people don't understand just how powerfully these drugs affect the body, especially when they  interact with psychiatric drugs and a sensitized body. We highly recommend that they all be avoided during ADWD and for a good while after. 

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

1/3 of anything that is problematic for You will likely cause a reaction.

We are programmed by society and health care to believe that what "They" say is dose size is relevant. 

If I am allergic to bees it shouldn't surprise Me I need to use an Epi-Pen after one sting while the person next to me was stung 7 times and is fine.

Any item that causes a physiological or metabolic change in the body can, in theory, be problematic for a system in WD.

Starting ds 2 (12.5 CR'S) = 25 MG PAXIL CR 1/21/15: 1 Pill + 10mg liquid (2 weeks) 2/4: 1 Pill + 9mg Lq (3 weeks) 2/25: 1 Pill + 8 mg lq (1 week) 3/4: 1 Pill + 6 mg lq (2 weeks) 3/18/15 1 Pill + 4 mg lq (2 weeks) 4/1/15 1 Pill + 3 mg lq (2 weeks) 4/14/15 1 Pill + 2 mg lq (2 weeks) 4/29/15 1Pill + 1 mg lq (16 days) 5/15/15 1 12.5 mg Pill ONLY (9 days) 5/24/15 12 mgs liquid (8 days) 6/1/15 11mg lq (12 days) 6/13/15 10 mg.  12/3/15 Drop from 8mg to 7.6 (24 days to) 12/27/15 7.2mgs 8/4/16 6.8mgs,  11/1/16 6.4mgs, 2/5/17 6 mgs  4/3/17 5.6mgs, 4/24/17 5.2mg, 6/13/17 4.8mgs, 9/20/17 4.4mgS, 11/23/17 4 mgs, 1/1/18 3.6 mgs, 2/15/18 3.2 mgs. 4/13/18 2.8mgs, 5/11/18 2.4mgs, 6/10/18 2.0 mgs, 8/4/18 1.6mgs,  9/27/18 1.2mgs, 12/24/18 0.8mg, 3/24/19 0.64 mg,(syringe change issue date?) 4/22/19 0.60 mg, 5/24/19 0.60 mg, 7/7/19 0.52 mgs, 8/4/19 0.44mgs, 11/4/19 0.36mgs, 2/1/20 0.28mgs, 3/1/20 0.24mgs (crash April 6) Compound started 6/28/21: 0.24mgs, 8/29/21: 0.22mgs, 10/31/21: 0.20mgs, 1/03/22: 0.18mgs, 3/5/22: 0.16mgs, 5/5/22: 0.14mgs.

Original Wellbutrin Dose: 6 months from 9/14 to 3/2015, 300 XL 3/15/15: Half to 150 XL ( severe symptoms started on day 12) 4/16/15: 125mg   for 20 days to: 5/6/15:   100mg  for  15 days to: 5/21/15    75mg  for  10 days to: 6/1/15:  56.25mg      13 days to: 6/13/15: 37.25mg    7 days to: 6/20/15  28.12mg   14 days to: 7/4/15  18.75mg, 7 days to: 7/11/15; RAISE BACK TO: 28.12 to 8/14/15: 18.75mg  20 days to :9/3/15 : 12.5mg, 8/4/16 9mg 1/9/17: 8.5mg 2/8/17 8mg, 3/9/17: 7.6  4/9/17  7.2  5/27/17 6.4 6/24/17 5.8, 8/1/17 5.0, 8/29/17 4.2mgs, 10/2/17 3.5mgs, 12/28/17 2.5mgs, 2/27/18 1.7mgs,  4/19/18 0.8 mgs, LAST DOSE: 6/11/18:  3 YEARS, 2 MONTHS, 27 DAYS...

Really good information here. 

What scares me the most quite honestly is that I can't say no to the stresses in my life; I have a stressful career and wonder how much that is setting me back!   

Also those days when I feel good and decide to go for a run, I wonder if I'm paying for it the day after lol.  

1995-2006 paroxetine 20 mgs. Early 2007 tapered to zero mgs paroxetine, colitis flare triggered.  Mid 2007 back to 20 mg paroxetine to stop flare.  2007 to 2019 stay at 20 mg.  2019 through 2022 continually lowered dose at first by 5mg a time then by about 2 mg at a time.   Tapered slower as symptoms increased. 

2021 Nov 1 paxil 7.0mg starting to drop by 2.5 percent a week with 2 week holds to reduce colitis symptoms

2022 Mar 30 paxil 6.175 mg and it's caused colitis flare 

2022 May paxil 6 mg.  Drop by 1.75mg. Added 600 mg ashwagandha 2022

sept 1 stopped ashwagandha.  Then continue lowering Paxil by 2.5% every month or so

2023 mar 1 5.85 mg. Can’t imagine going lower. Feel mentally off too often.  Panic feelings that I did not have before. 
I avoid caffeine, I sleep 8 hrs a Night, no alcohol no other mood altering drugs. Eat well and exercise lightly, daily. Blood sugar ok. 
Stuck with little emotional buffer, vertigo is nearby. Panic.  Feels like withdrawal symptoms recur/very slow to recede

Should i also avoid tea during tapering?

-2002 :amiram tricycle antidepressant 

-2007-2015:amiram

-2015-2020 seroquel 300 mg prozac 20 mg lamotrigine 400 mg .

-Sep 2020 lithium 1000mg 

-Nov 2020 i stopped lithium and prozac ct

-Dec 2020 i start tapering seroquel and lamictal 400mg and i take last dose in 23 Jan.

- 6 April 2021 i reinstate seroquel 400 mg prozac 40 mg ,lamotrigine 50 mg and diazepam 15 mg. I leveled fine after a month.

-Seroquel: 9 Sept 360 mg ,22 Oct 300 mg, 11 Dec 250 mg ,16 Mar 2022 150 mg , 20 Apr 125 mg , 3 Jun 100 mg ,27 Jun 90 mg,16 jul 81 mg, 27 sep 65 mg,11 Oct 60,9 Nov 50,8 Dec 40,10 Feb 25 ,16 Apr 15,13 May 7.5 ,5 Jul 5 mg.6/Jul/2023 6 mg.

-Prozac : 10 Oct 20 mg,2 Feb 2022 16.65 mg, 3 Mar 15 mg , 7 Apr 13.12 mg, 20 Apr 10 mg , 30 May 8.40 mg,6 Jun 8.18 ,13 Jun 7.9 mg ,28 Jun 7 mg,4 jul 6.62 ,21 jul 5.6, 3 aug 5.3 mg ,27 sep 4 mg, 11 Oct 2.7 17 Nov 1.6 mg,8 Dec 1.23 mg, 29 Dec .76 mg, 2023 1st Jan 0 mg

-Lamictal :2 Feb 2022 47. 5 mg , 3 Mar 43.8 , 7 Apr 38.48 , 20 Apr 25 mg , 30 May 20 mg ,15 Jun 18 mg,29 jun 16,5 mg,13 jul 15.5 mg, 21 Jul 14.5 mg,27 sep 9,4 mg,11 Oct 8 mg ,18 Oct 6.4mg, 24 Nov 5.6 ,23 Dec 4 Mg

-2023 28 Jan 3.2 mg,10 Feb 2.88,19 Feb 2.4 28 Feb 2 mg,10 Mar 1,8 ,17 Mar 1.6 ,4 April 0 mg

-Diazepam:  6 Apr 2021 15 mg,28 Jun 12 mg ,28 Jul 9 mg , 7 Sept 8.1 mg ,18 Dec 3 mg ,15 Mar 2022 0 mg.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Caffeine in coffee, tea, soft drinks, energy drinks: Tolerance issues
  • 3 months later...

Hello, adding to the coffee discussion. 

Drinking coffee everyday before was ok, because my tolerance was high. Then after a few bad days I cut down to one cup every 3 days. This helped for awhile, but then I realized this lowered my tolerance, and each cup hit me harder than before. This was especially true after taking coffee breaks, and trying to have a cup after 7-10 days off. It kicked my ass hard on those days. So I had a choice, either drink a cup every day to bring my tolerance back (bad idea during WD), or stop altogether until I heal. 

So I switched to decaf, but I'm still looking for tasty options. I love espresso most of all, and lots of coffee shops near me have decent decaf lattes. However, each cup of decaf espresso has ~10 mgs of caffeine, which isn't generally enough to affect me, but it is when you make those drinks a *quad* shot. Then it tastes incredible, but has 40 mgs of caffeine which is too many. 

The search continues. 

June 1 - June 8 2020: 10 MG of Prozac for Panic Attacks * June 9 - July 25 2020: 20 MG of Prozac * July 26 2020 - April 7 2021: 30 MG of Prozac
April 8 2021 - May 8 2021: 20 MG Prozac * May 9 2021 - May 31 2021: 10 MG Prozac
June 1 2021 - July 30 2021: 0 MG, withdrawal symptoms of brain zaps, fatigue, bodyache, headache, and fresh anxiety attacks near the end of July.
August 1 2021 - 5 mg liquid prozac. Stabilized in November, had panic attacks and anxiety in December but tapered anyway. 

January 1 2022 - March 1 2022: 4.5 mg

March 2 - Nov 5 2022: 4.05 mg

Nov 6 2022 - December 15 2022: 4 mg in two syringes.

December 15 2022 - January 1 2023: Attempted Tapering by .01 mg every 3 days, had very bad WD and anxiety symptoms. 

January 1 2023 - May 31 2023: Reinstated to 4 mg in two syringes.  

June 2023 - Present: 4 mg in one syringe. 

• 2 months later...
  • Mentor

I was hoping someone resent has tried chicory for a coffee subsitute?  

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/24894-greatful-is-this-withdrawal-or-to-many-med-changes-at-once/

1995? Prozac,  tried several Paxil, Serzone, St John's Wart back to Prozac and Trazodone ct:d Traz

Lexapro. Tried to stop Crash in 2015  Kindled   Hospitalized, Vybrid, Seroquel, Effexor, Abilify  Pristiq, Wellbutrin-- 2016  ended back on   Prozac and Lamictal 200mg

5/2020  thru 12/2020 taper from 20mg  Prozac  down to 3mg.  Crashed  12/13/2020 Zoloft 50mg 1/29ct  1/29/2021 Seroquel 50mg ct  2/12/2021 Wellbutrin 75mg.  Became hypo manic 2/1  6ct Trazodone 50mg 4/25  25mg 2/5/ 2021 Lamictal 150mg.  2/24  100mg   4/9  75mg   4/21 37.5 

2/16/2021 Seroquel 50xr  3/3 100mg  3/17  150mg  side effects ct   4/3 2021 Lexapro 5mg  4/14  7.5mg  4/30 10mg  5/10  7.5mg 

2021/ 5/16  5mg Lexapro   37.5 Lamictal   25mg trazadone,   xanax  .0625mg  3x a day   

Lexapro  Taper> Sept/01/2021  4.90mg>  Sept/25  4.75mg>   Oct/19 4.69mg > Nov/14 4.2mg    Jan/30/2022-- Split dosing 2x a day All liquid  4.2mg  (2.20mg at 8am & 2mg at 4pm) 2/17 4mg>  2/24  3.8mg  slow taper to  Aug/12/2022 2.04mg  2023> 2mg,  1.90mg, 1.80mg, 1.70mg, 1.5mg, 1.4mg, 1.3mg 1.2mg, 1.1mg, 1mg, 0.9mg, 0.8mg, 0.7mg 0.65mg, 0.6mg, 0.55mg, 0.5mg, 0.45mg, 0.4mg, 0.35mg, 0.3mg, 0.25,mg, back to once a day dosing 0 .1mg, 0.07mg

Lamictal  taper  4/17/ 2022 25mg, 9/9/ 22 -20mg, 9/25/22- 15mg , 10/20/22-   0

Trazodone..2023.>down to 14mg, 7mg, 6mg  July 2023   0

Xanax  0.0625 3 x a day,  2023>  0.042 3x a day

Supplements  Magnesium glycinate, Omega 3, D3, vitamin c , zinc, NAC 

FYI, for anyone about to eliminate coffee or currently in the process of doing so:

Caffeine Withdrawal: Symptoms, Timeline, What to Expect

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

supplements: magnesium powder (dissolved in water) as needed throughout the day; 1 tsp fish oil w/ morning meal; 2mg melatonin 

August 1, 2022 - 1 mg melatonin

Courage is fear that has said its prayers.  - Karle Wilson Baker

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

I am not a medical professional; this is not medical advice. 

• 9 months later...

I cannot tolerate any coffee or tea. It absolutely savages me. I can handle decaf and jasmine tea though.

This is likely due to agitation being my worst symptom, caffeine compounds it.

December 2021 - Metoclopramide started. Akathisia symptoms start; Metoclopramide gets changed to PRN.

March 2022 - Akathisia diagnosed; Metoclopramide stopped; Propranolol 10mg x twice a day. Biperiden PRN (0.5mg to 1mg).

April 2022 - Tandospirone 30mg (10mg 3x day), Quetiapine 25mg (only taken once, immediate adr). Mirtazapine 7.5mg. . Discontinued Propranolol.

May 2022 - Mirtazapine upped to 15mg. Tandospirone cut to 2x 10mg. Low dose Depakote for the month; 100 to 200 to 100 to 0. Mirtazapine cut back to 11.75mg (3/4 of a 15mg pill).
June 2022 - Mirtazapine updose to 15mg. Tandospirone, Biperiden discontinued. Klonopin started PRN (0.5mg). 
September 2022 - Akathisia slowly starts improving, WD/ADR normal sets in in mid September. Hold for 4 months.
March 2023 - Off mirtazapine; no Klonopin for 5 months either! Started quercetin (250mg x 2) to soften the histamine rebound.

May 2023 - Stopped quercetin and changed from magnesium carbonate to oxide - reacted badly. Reverted back to carbonate. 
June 2023 - Added fish oil.
Current regimen: CALM Magnesium (Carbonate into Citrate) 175mg x2; Vitamin E 268mg x2; Fish oil (100mg Omega3; EPA 30mg; DHA 37mg)x2
Intro thread: 
https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/27095-portuguesesea-metoclopramide-akathisia-and-mirtazapine/

• 2 months later...
On 6/8/2023 at 2:21 AM, PortugueseSea said:

I cannot tolerate any coffee or tea. It absolutely savages me. I can handle decaf and jasmine tea though.

This is likely due to agitation being my worst symptom, caffeine compounds it.

Are you drinking any coffee substitute? I slowly cut coffee and was only doing decaf . I am exzusted so I drank a small amount and had a big reaction. I read B12 may hive you energy  I took B12 for a while with no problem. I am going to experimento with a low dose

2006-2007 Lexapro (not sure of dose) in 2006

2007 Stopped abruptly. Developed serious wd symptom.Went back after two weeks and  tapered successfully over 3 months

November 2013  started 10 mg of Celexa for hormonal symptoms

early 2014 cutdown Celexa to 5 mg.Attempted to get off it November 2014 and had  

Anxiety increased  every time I used  an OTC or had stress.

April-May Cortisol spike problems 

July 2016 Started taking liquid Celexa 7.5 mg

June 2021 I finished my taper en

Severe anxiety and insomnia

June 2022 symptoms omproved

July 2023 gut issues and sleep issues contnue

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy