SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Should I worry about taking opioid pain medication?

elizabeth11

A bit long winded but please read...

BACKGROUND:

(I'm Elizabeth and ended up on ADs (Celexa and Wellbutrin and Gabapentin) when the real problem was after a thryoidectomy I was being OVER prescribed replacement doses of replacement thyroid hormone. My TSH was less than 0.01 which was causing anxiety. It is well know that thryoid overdoses are completely preventable but I would have no longer been profitable to the p-doc if he did his job. Left the p-doc who didn't bother to check my thyroid and instead am on a "placebo dose" of celexa according to my p-nurse and was standing steady. Am fighting with my endocrinologist to judge my replacement thyroid hormone based on free t4 and NOT TSH.)

CURRENT PROBLEM/ NEED ADVICE:

***I now did a fertility IVF cycle before starting grad school in the fall. I ended up with Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome (OHSS) and since I have ended up with a positive pregnancy result for the moment. I have about 10 pounds of extra water and fluid which has stopped up in my belly. I look 5 months pregnant. I had horrible nausea and severe belly pain from the swelling, more than I could stand.

When I went to the ER to deal with this problem last week, they gave me prescription narcotics and anti-nausea meds. Dilaudid and Phenegran. I took them as prescribed for 2 days, read that they can be addictive, and spent 3 days trying to make it without the meds. I couldn't hack it. My mood went way low. In retrospect I think those 3 days were h*ll cause I was so sick.

****Can legitimate pain cause your mood to go south?

I've now gone back on to 1/2 the dose of meds prescribed. To give you the dose, I'm taking 1 mg dilauded and 6.5 mg phengeran and trying to do this just every 5 hours. (Lighter meds like vicodin make me depressed). By the time hour 4 passes, I start to feel sick and anxious again. OHSS is like having a 10 lb balloon filled with a rock under your belly button. I start to relax again when the meds kick in and I don't like feeling a medicinal based "relaxation."

****Am I crazy to worry about this? How addictive are these? Anyone else needed heavy pain meds and have a problem getting back off them post ADs? Am I just being hypersensitive because of my AD experience? Am I worrying too much???

I have to start grad school in 3 weeks and 5 hours away from home and really need to be able to function as me, without pain drugs. I don't want a drug addition to deal with. I'm so terrified after trusting p-docs when I never should have.

Thanks so much for any advice or experience!!!

--Elizabeth

:blink:

Years:150mg Wellbutrin (to concentrate) 20-30 mg Celexa (rumination).

CT 8/2011 during a pregnancy attempt under MD orders. (Idiot!!!) Pregnancy hormones allowed it.

Felt great with 6 mg of melatonin per night to sleep plus preggo hormones-didn't last:(

Best time of my life. Botched IVF in Dec 2011.Stress.

Bone chilling exhaustion and told to go back on celexa and wellbutrin.

4/9/2012 Back on celexa wb for some relief, wb gave me heart palps so dropped and only need 6.6 mg celexa and 1/4 melatonin pill...IMPROVEMENT because my doses are much lower!

REMEMBER to get your thyroid and hormones checked/out of whack ones can appear LIKE MOOD DISORDERS!!

• Administrator

Elizabeth, you need to see a gynecologist. The ER folks probably don't know a lot about that condition, they just threw prescriptions at you.

I guess you can take the pain meds to get through the weekend....

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks Alto! You are so great at what you do. :rolleyes:

With being sensitive to ADs I guess I've become hyper-aware and concerned about taking any med that has the slightest bit of mood effects.

I guess I need to learn to not be so hyper concerned all the time. Guess it goes as part of being sick.

:)

Elizabeth

Years:150mg Wellbutrin (to concentrate) 20-30 mg Celexa (rumination).

CT 8/2011 during a pregnancy attempt under MD orders. (Idiot!!!) Pregnancy hormones allowed it.

Felt great with 6 mg of melatonin per night to sleep plus preggo hormones-didn't last:(

Best time of my life. Botched IVF in Dec 2011.Stress.

Bone chilling exhaustion and told to go back on celexa and wellbutrin.

4/9/2012 Back on celexa wb for some relief, wb gave me heart palps so dropped and only need 6.6 mg celexa and 1/4 melatonin pill...IMPROVEMENT because my doses are much lower!

REMEMBER to get your thyroid and hormones checked/out of whack ones can appear LIKE MOOD DISORDERS!!

Elizabeth,

Pain can definitely cause mood to go south very quickly. I dont know a great deal about the drugs you are on, but I have been on opiates long term (hydrocodone and oxycodone for several years for neck injury) and it was far easier for me to DC those than Pristiq. You have only taken for a few days for legitimate pain, so try not to worry.

I hope you're feeling better soon.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Administrator

Shoot, it's easy to give advice when you're not giving it to yourself!

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 2 months later...

I was wondering...I'am alomost 2 years off benzos and 15 months off antidepressant meds. I just had a minor surgery on my foot and had to take Norco for pain, I took only the day of surgery, but now I have major anxiey and restlessness!!! :( Do you think the pain med triggered w/d again this far out? I was feeling so good to, I 'm discouraged!

Thanks,

Mary

Remeron 15mg. 2008 to 2011

Prozac 20mg. 1991 to June 2011

Klonopin 4 mg 1991 to Nov. 20 2010

Requip 2008 to 2010

Presently on amytriptaline 50 mg started taper

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm not sure there's an answer to your question since so little is known about withdrawal from benzos and ADs, but I was able to find this web page on Norco side effects that might help. What you're experiencing may be Norco side effects or it may be that your body is still hypersensitive even though you've successfully gotten through withdrawal. Or both.

I hope you feel better very soon.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Moderator Emeritus

I was wondering...I'am alomost 2 years off benzos and 15 months off antidepressant meds. I just had a minor surgery on my foot and had to take Norco for pain, I took only the day of surgery, but now I have major anxiey and restlessness!!! :( Do you think the pain med triggered w/d again this far out? I was feeling so good to, I 'm discouraged!

it may be that your body is still hypersensitive even though you've successfully gotten through withdrawal. Or both.

Hi Mary, I agree with Jemima. Your system is still sensitized from a combination of the two withdrawals, one in the past, one onging, so it makes sense the narco may have triggered something. That should recede in a few days, at least this is what I've experienced when other meds tweaked my symptoms.

I see you are still struggling with Requip. Did you mix it with water so you can come off very gradually? That's what I'm doing and it works. If I don't go very slowly the RLS legs get unmerciful (actually I have RL arms :angry: which can feel like generalized restlessness).

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Thanks for the support,that's pretty much what I was thinking. I tell ya...I have a healthy respect for drugs now, that includes drinking too, anything that alters my brain... it can reve things up for me.I can't believe how sick I'am,I have been throwing up,really bad anxiety and restlessness, which of course leads to insomnia. Yikes... sooooo tired of all of this! I was also on an antibiotic, which made me feel sick, just stopped it yesterday. I was feeling fine before i had this little surgery.

And Schuyler, as far as the Requip goes...I'm still on .05 mg., just been on hold with it, I haven't been ready to take on the challenge, and NOW I'm really not ready. Having a taste of lovely w/d again, doesn't make me want to jump for joy into that one, if ya know what I mean? It sure helps to have support on here, most people DON"T understand this stuff. Thanks SO much, hope you are doing well, I hate seeing anybody suffering with this.

Mary

Requip 2008 to 2010

• Moderator Emeritus

And Schuyler, as far as the Requip goes...I'm still on .05 mg., just been on hold with it, I haven't been ready to take on the challenge, and NOW I'm really not ready. Having a taste of lovely w/d again, doesn't make me want to jump for joy into that one, if ya know what I mean? It sure helps to have support on here, most people DON"T understand this stuff. Thanks SO much, hope you are doing well, I hate seeing anybody suffering with this.

Mary

Hi Mary.. I'm doing pretty well.. though kind of antsy with diazepam as it's going sooo slowwwly. Just an fyi for Requip. I mix 6 tabs of .25 mgs with 60 ccs of water, then draw up enough for four (QID) doses a day which for me is a total of 8 CCs (the half life is kind of short, so I'm dividing the .20 mgs I currently take). So I end up with .0125 mgs in each CC. Maybe when you are ready you could try .1 CC reduction a month with the same strength diluent.. which is a 1/80 dose decrement at the start, and maybe double and so on same every month if all goes well? LOL, maybe you could just go so slow your system doesn't even miss the stuff. Well.. that's the hope!

Hope you are well soon, ~S

PS.. the suggested taper above may be too slow, but you get the idea? You probably can some off painlessly with a little patience.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Hi Mary. Well, the Vicodin I take has only helped me with w/d symptoms. But everyone is different. It's probably not w/d from the opiate either as you took it only for one day. However, what did they give you for the surgery? Any sedation? I had a flair up of w/d a couple of weeks ago that I believe was from some of the meds for sedation I was given during a spinal procedure. It only lasted a few days though.

Taper from Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac & Antipsychotics finished June 2012.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Mary. Well, the Vicodin I take has only helped me with w/d symptoms. But everyone is different. It's probably not w/d from the opiate either as you took it only for one day. However, what did they give you for the surgery? Any sedation? I had a flair up of w/d a couple of weeks ago that I believe was from some of the meds for sedation I was given during a spinal procedure. It only lasted a few days though.

You are so right Shanti.. Mary, I did not think to ask you about this. When I have minor surgical procedures, I specify in advance that I cannot have benzos and they use propophol. BTW.. in the event you are told they do not use a benzo, ask what drugs they do use and look them up just to be sure.. you might also need to ask the anesthesiologist because the nurse may tell you there is no choice, but anesthesiologists do not want to cause the type of reaction you had so do in fact listen. Shanti.. good pickup, I'll bet that is exactly what happened.

Anesthesia and pain meds can re trigger or alter the receptor's in the brain. I was newly off Paxil, had back surgery and lost my mind. Could not stop crying, the depression was horrific.

The surgeon told me the anesthesia is a mixture of drugs and even if I were not recently off paxil, this could happen.

Pain medication is a no-no for me unless it is percusette and only for a short time.

If I take Vicodin I bounce off walls. Like you said, anxiety and restlessness. It's common.

It may not be a good pmed for you.

Your not alone, it does happen...

Best regards

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

Also, the antibiotic could have triggered CNS effects. Quinolones (Cipro, any ending in '-floxin') are particularly problematic.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Thanks everyone...I'am feeling back to normal now! I don't know what triggered me, I was not put out during the surgery, so that's not it. The antibiotic I took was bactrim, made me really sick! Well anyway...I feel better, that's all that matters. Thanks for the support!!!

Thanks Sheuler for the advice on the Requip, right now I'm weaning off of bio hormone cream, so far so good! When I'm done with that, I will start the Requip.I will go slow as well, I know how rough it can get.Glad you're doing good!

Requip 2008 to 2010

I'm glad you're feeling back to normal! :)

I just want to point out in case others end up going into a surgical procedure. When I had the procedure, I wasn't put out either. They had to sedate me though, and it was the sedation that triggered w/d for me. I think. It could have been the procedure itself though. As they were sending radiofrequency waves to the nerves in my spine. Either way, I would do it again as it was worth it.

Taper from Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac & Antipsychotics finished June 2012.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks everyone...I'am feeling back to normal now! I don't know what triggered me, I was not put out during the surgery, so that's not it...

I'm glad you're feeling back to normal! :)

I just want to point out in case others end up going into a surgical procedure. When I had the procedure, I wasn't put out either. They had to sedate me though, and it was the sedation that triggered w/d for me. I think. It could have been the procedure itself though. As they were sending radiofrequency waves to the nerves in my spine. Either way, I would do it again as it was worth it.

99% odds it was the sedation. Mary, you don't need to have been 'knocked out' to have been given benzos as they are often given to make us calmer for surgical procedures when we are awake. The benzo sites make a big issue about avoiding operative sedation.. with good reason. I should have realized this was probably why Mary responded as she did from the getgo. Anyone on a benzo taper is best to avoid benzos unless there is a life threatening issue. Hands down, I would ask to be knocked out before accepting a benzo.

PS.. Mary, at any point before or during the prep were you given an innocuous looking pill the identity of which you did not know? I have started to tell medical folks I am allergic to benzos..

• Altostrata changed the title to Should I worry about taking opioid pain medication?

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy