SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Shame, guilt, regret and self-criticism

Healing

Great post, Healing!

Began Paxil 10/97*

Paxil free 10/16/04 (tapered over 2.5 months)

Severe withdrawal

12/04 started Lexapro due to Paxil w/d symptoms (tapered over 4 months)

Lexapro free 8/2/05

2 1/2 year severe protracted withdrawal

Doing well now with a few residual symptoms

• Administrator

When my brain got clobbered by withdrawal, I had to learn to forgive myself for my failings and new inadequacies. I was already suffering so much, I had to give myself that relief in order to survive.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thankyou so so so much for this post, Healing! I can relate to those 4 statemnets so much, I have believed them all at various points during my withdrawal experience. I also come from a family that taught me to stuff my emotions away, which I am now realizing how much of an impact that has had on my life and how I cope with withdrawal.

I'm so glad for forums like this that actually validate these experiences, especially as no one else (family and doctors) acknowledge it.

Off Lexapro since 3rd November 2011.

This is great, guys! Withdrawal really amplifies and manufactures terrible feelings about ourselves. Let's keep this front and center as much as possible, and keep taking small steps towards being compassionate to ourselves!

Sur -- That's a perfect example of a revolutionary act!

:)

1996-97 - Paxil x 9 months, tapered, suffered 8 months withdrawal but didn't know it was withdrawal, so...

1998-2001 - Zoloft, tapered, again unwittingly went into withdrawal, so...

2002-03 - Paxil x 20 months, developed severe headaches, so...

Sep 03 - May 05 - Paxil taper took 20 months, severe physical, moderate psychological symptoms

Sep 03 - Jun 05 - took Prozac to help with Paxil taper - not recommended

Jul 05 to date - post-taper, severe psychological, moderate physical symptoms, improving very slowly

Thank you for the post, Healing. I like your view on this issue...

One of the things that sometimes frustrates more than any other is knowing that my condition is not broadly accepted. Because I have been on psych medications I feel a measure of shame that I can simply declare: "I am ravaged by withdrawal from neuro-toxic medications!" because I think, at this point, most people are unsympathetic out of ignorance. W/d isn't cancer and 90+% of people (docs even) don't understand or even know of it. I've not been shown a lot of compassion for the suffering I've endured by the people I've shared some of struggles with.

It is tough for me to not be able to work. But that part above is the toughest. That I can't say in shorthand WHY it is that I can't work right now and get support from the broader community. It makes it lonely for sure. And strains my relationships with friends and family.

The idea of "choosing" not to let this affect me, choosing to focus my attention elsewhere (in more positive directions) is a powerful one. The brain is such an amazing creation!

Alex.I

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

• 5 weeks later...

How many of you, guys, are experiencing the unrelenting and painful thoughts? This is one of the most common WD symptoms.

2000-2008 Paxil for a situational depression

2008 - Paxil c/t

Severe protracted WD syndrome ever since; improving

“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once”

Albert Einstein

"Add signature to your profile. This way we can help you even better!"

Surviving Antidepressants ;)

And, above all, ... keep walking. Just keep walking.

As you know Neuro, I experienced them until the point I was close to suicide and brought me to very dangerous and life-threatning actions to my former (emotional) abuser in 2008. And even last year those nasty thoughts popped up again and brought me again to the point of contacting him in a defective way.

Now it is better again but the thoughts are still there, and even added to them my terrible actions in reaction to them. It is indeed WD related, I would call it a state of near-psychosis because on the background I realized that it was crazy but I did not have the emotional strength to handle those thoughts in a safe way.

I guess it will get better in time but the things I did cannot be undone and I barely escaped juridical prosecution. It was terrible beyond all description...

10 mg Paxil/Seroxat since 2002
several attempts to quit since 2004
Quit c/t again Oktober 2007, in protracted w/d since then
after 3.5 years slight improvement but still on the road

after 6 years pretty much recovered but still some nasty residual sypmtons
after 8.5 years working again on a 90% base and basically functioning normally again!

This is something that bothers me a lot in w/d and is so exhausting. I can be doing anything but spend most of my time stuck inside my head. I have to actually be careful sometimes to remove sources of rumination in my home. For example I tend to write lists of things to do, but if I see them lying about the house, they tend to trigger me to think too much.

I also have the inability to make simple decisions at times because of it.

Off Lexapro since 3rd November 2011.

• Administrator

For a period, I'd have spells of vividly reliving shameful or emotionally painful events, and a lot of self-blaming. Like other symptoms, they became less frequent and finally (thankfully) disappeared.

It surely was a difficult period.

Do what you can to distract yourself, look at flowers, think of puppies and kittens (that's what I did) -- anything to get yourself through it.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 3 months later...

Yep, that's me. Thank you for this post. I have so much more to read and learn here.

Alex...each time I read one of your posts, I feel such a powerful future for you.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• 7 months later...

Shame, guilt, feelings of inadequacy- these have been my constant companions my whole life. To have them come back in withdrawal is daunting, and so hard to explain to my friends and family. It is a relief to know these are part of the W/D symptoms, although there are things in my psyche that I know I have to resolve. Effexor dulled me enough to allow me to procrastinate.

Effexor 75 mg for 3 yrs.

Effexor XR 75 mg for 10 yrs.

Effexor XR 150 mg for 5 years.

Currently at 37.5 and weaning slowly

• Moderator Emeritus

Healing, thank you so much for this post and these thoughts. It helps so much to be reminded that, first, I'm not alone in my struggles, and second that there's a neuro-poisoning component that will eventually go away. (It already goes away during those rare breaks I get once or twice a year when I have to hold my taper for some reason and I get those beautiful windows.)

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Moderator Emeritus

Yep, that's me. Thank you for this post. I have so much more to read and learn here.

Alex...each time I read one of your posts, I feel such a powerful future for you.

Absolutely ditto.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Shame, guilt, feelings of inadequacy- these have been my constant companions my whole life. To have them come back in withdrawal is daunting, and so hard to explain to my friends and family. It is a relief to know these are part of the W/D symptoms, although there are things in my psyche that I know I have to resolve. Effexor dulled me enough to allow me to procrastinate.

Colleen,

Boy, can I relate. I was always told to shut up, keep your head down, and do your work, no matter how sick you were. This is what happens when the bean counters run everything.

History:

1995--Prozac--Quit CT by GP

1995--Effexor--Quit per my GP

1996--Amitriphene--Quit CT when changed GP

2005--Citalopram and BusPar. Prescribed when I decompensated in my GP's office. GP referred me to behavior health. Psychiatrist prescibed these drugs. Taken off citalopram in 2011 due to FDA warning. Quit Buspar during transition to viibryd.

Viibryd--2011 to present. Had a severe reaction in March 2012. Advised both GP and Psychiatrist I was trying to get off these drugs.

• 11 months later...

This is great, guys! Withdrawal really amplifies and manufactures terrible feelings about ourselves. Let's keep this front and center as much as possible, and keep taking small steps towards being compassionate to ourselves!

Sur -- That's a perfect example of a revolutionary act!

:)

Can this also be the case during the adjustment period going onto AD's?? Neuro emotion problems?

Lexapro 20mg 2001-2003 (tried to taper myself too quickly)

Back on Lexapro 40mg 2003-2006 (tried to taper...again)

On Celexa 20mg 2006-2008 (taper again)

Citalopram 40mg 2008-2012 (mid November tried to taper, things got worse)

Citalopram 20mg 2012 (late November)

Citalopram 20mg 2013 (January started to get a little better but sometime along the way stopped taking Citalopram and started losing track of everything)

Bad episode of lack of concentration and lost in thoughts, loss of sleep etc. Ended up in mental hospital for a week and was back on 20mg Citalopram and 5mg Olanzopine and 2mg Benztropine.

February 11 2013 Back on 40mg Citalopram and tapering Olanzopine to 2.5mg and Benztropine 1mg under Psychiatric care.

• 3 weeks later...

The guilt is much worse for me since I had my first significant window and am now back in a wave. I was out and about most days for several weeks and now barely able to get out of bed again. I've read about the windows and waves but didn't realize the uptick in guilt after experiencing a window. There's a huge "SHOULD" over my head now ~ I should be able to do this or that because I was able to a month ago...

Guilt mixed with self-pity = Ugly combination.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

I'm on the umpteenth iteration of this very thing. Wave after window resulting in guilt.

Sparrow

2009-2011: tapered off Trazodone, Namenda, Lamictal, Dextroamphetamine, Zyprexa; cold-turkeyed Pristiq; reduced Lexapro dose 50%.
On clonazepam since 2004, 0.5 - 1.0 mg daily PRN. Three failed (too rapid) partial tapers, 2010 - 2011.
Dec. 2011 - March 2013: Tapered off 0.5 mg clonazepam (Klonopin)

August 2013: Switched to liquid escitalopram (Lexapro) and began tapering from 10 mg.

January 2014: 4.5 mg escitalopram

March 2014: One year off benzos

May 2014: 3.0 mg escitalopram

June 2014: severe depression, updosed to 4.0 mg

Sept 1, 2014: 2.7 mg

Dec 7, 2014: Can't get below 2.5 mg without unbearable symptoms. Doing an extended hold (I hope)

March 2015: TWO YEARS POST-BENZO

Can this also be the case during the adjustment period going onto AD's?? Neuro emotion problems?

In my experience, yes. Absolutely. It took me and my medical professionals a good three years to find medications that seemed to work and that did not also cause intolerable emotional/neurological "side effects".

These are powerful drugs and they can have profound effects. Going through meds trials was for me almost as arduous an experience as the near-psychotic break that made them seem so necessary at the time. I never knew how the next drug would affect me and I never knew how it would interact with things I was already taking. I would bring it home, take one, and wait..

I remember days and nights when all I could do was tell myself to breathe and that tomorrow would be different and that what I was feeling was not only temporary but that I also knew precisely where it came from: the bottle holding the AD of the month.

The one thing I learned above all is that nothing lasts forever. It can feel like forever, but something eventually changes every single time.

Erik
poet. skeptic. laughs in the face of death ha!

Rx Hx: (Dates and doses 1999-2012 are approximate)
Dec 1997 started on Paxil.
thru 1999ish: every SSRI in existence, one at a time, except for Prozac...
2000: Prozac 40mg; added Zyprexa 5-10mg 

2004: began Buprenorphine, 40mg
2005: Prozac 60mg; Zyprexa 5-7.5mg; added Klonopin avg 1.5mg/day PRN
2006: Prozac 80mg; Zyprexa 5mg; Klonopin avg ~1mg PRN then down to 0.5mg by 2012
May, 2012: signs of tardive dyskinesia. Begin Zyprexa "taper": 2.5mg
late July, 2012: Zyprexa 1.25mg
early Aug, 2012: discontinued Zyprexa

a little later Aug, 2012: GI disturbances, nausea, appetite loss, disturbed sleep, body temperature dysregulation, fatigue, sweating, headaches, beginning of rapid weight loss
Dec 2012: Prozac causing stomach pain; reduced to 60mg
Jan 2013-present: muscle pain and spasms in face, jaw, neck, shoulders, chest

5 Dec 2013: GP suggests increase in Klonopin for muscle spasms

Currently (Dec 2013): 60mg Prozac, 0.875 mg Klonopin, 40mg Buprenorphine

nausea, headaches, muscle spasms, tardive dyskinesia continue;

appetite back, increase in energy and in apparent metabolic rate

"mental" reactions since stopping Zyprexa: intermittent increase in obsessional thinking, extra emotional zing

treatment: sitting meditation 50 min once or twice a day PRN

• 10 months later...

Since I started questioning my motivations after stopping drugs, I realised I have a very childish and weak personality. I spent my life complaining about small things, as a perfectionist and never had a healthy period.  The fact that drugs and unfriendly environment in my childhood have contributed to these effects gives me no relief.  Trying to compensate for my faults and mistakes also give me no relief.   I have a neuro-feeling that I was born as condemned and brain damaged and never be able to adapt to society.  What I need now is gain my confidence back (which should help me heal and improve body chemistry) and most important of all understanding and mercy in a harsh environment.    

Agreed. I am so full of shame and guilt for being on meds for such a long time and going through withdrawal. I told a good friend and she drifted away from me. Just recently told my brother about quitting the meds and free of them for 20 months, but he doesn't get it and offers no support whatsoever. I'm considered to be the "ill" one in the family, the one who absorbed all the emotional turmoil, who couldn't just shrug it off and go on with business. 

Who can I trust to tell my story? I was waiting to be out of withdrawal before seeing a therapist again because the neuro-emotions are off the charts and difficult to understand what is real. At this point I really need to speak with a therapist who understands what I'm going through because the emotional pressure is building up inside me. Walking around with shame all the time is killing my spirit and difficult to connect with others. I hope some of my emotional turmoil is neuro-emotion and will lessen in time.

1993-2003 Prozac 20mg
2003-2010 Zoloft 10mg
2010-2012 Zoloft 10mg to 1mg (taper)

July 2012 - Drug free!

If your symptoms do not improve any further, a therapist using non-drug techniques may be useful. You can bring them information and links on withdrawal.  I have started seeing someone on regular basis. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ruby

I found that if I felt shame or guilt about withdrawal or how it had affected my life, it was useful to remind myself that the shame belonged to the drugs companies and my doctor.

I also found the words of John breeding very helpful in dealing with shame and guilt. He describes shame as a feeling that we can carry as a result of having being treated badly and states that it is not part of who we are.

" Shame is not a part of your essence; it is a toxic add-on." (http://www.wildestcolts.com)

Personally, I wasn't always ready to tackle certain issues too deeply in the earlier and mid stages of withdrawal and it did help some just to simply to label any feelings of guilt/shame and recognise they were not who I really was.

I did manage to find a therapist who accepted I had long-term withdrawal. He helped me a lot, although his knowledge and understanding of withdrawal was limited.

It is so hard not to get the support we deserve from those close to us. I hope you are able to find someone xx

I came off Seroxat in August 2005 after a 4 month taper. I was initially prescibed a benzo for several months and then Prozac for 5 years and after that, Seroxat for 3 years and 9 months.

"It's like in the great stories Mr.Frodo, the ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were, and sometimes you didn't want to know the end because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end it's only a passing thing this shadow, even darkness must pass. A new day will come, and when the sun shines it'll shine out the clearer."  Samwise Gamgee, Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers

Hi Gem,

Thanks for the supportive words. I've seen some of John Breeding's videos on youtube which are good. Shame feels so heavy and toxic and weighs on my psyche. Dancing really helps to shed the sh*t.

I contacted a therapist recently and will have a session together next week. It's been a year since doing any formal "therapy" work and I think it's time to work on some issues. Hopefully, I'll be able to open up and flow more easily in the world with other beings.

It's easy to feel like an outcast with diagnosis mental labels, long-term withdrawal, dealing with traumas... trying to cover it up, hide. 

Well, I don't want to hide anymore. I want to engage with the world and experience love, creativity and connection if possible. Is that too much to ask for in my lifetime?

1993-2003 Prozac 20mg
2003-2010 Zoloft 10mg

July 2012 - Drug free!

Hello,

Maybe this not the correct thread but I have been very concerned about the causes of symptoms and suffering most of us go through which I struggled to understand for so long.  How much does being stigmitized, pessimism of future and other environmental factors contribute?  It seems to me that some core areas in brain that form motivation, self concept, emotions and defense against stressful situations have been challenged. But sometimes I despise of my decisions in past or for not having taken some actions earlier then think otherwise that all could have been better.  Or is it personality, I think most of us are more idealists than average and prone to dissappointment. 

Hi Ruby

Glad the dancing is helping you. I am hoping to get to a 5Rhythms class sometime. It sounds really cool.

Withdrawal can be such an isolating experience. Those who have been through this so very much deserve love and connection. It is in no way too much to ask.

Although I am still recovering and sometimes struggle with dealing with the effects of withdrawal on my life - as I heal, I am feeling more & more connection with others and my creativity is definitely increasing. It does come. I 've even had some validation and praise for coming through withdrawal from unexpected people.

Things build up and start developing and flourishing.

I have also found the work of Tara Brach to be valuable in the process of healing and in cultivating self-compassion. She has online podcasts, articles and meditations.( I only started the meditations quite late in w/d, I don't think I would have been ready in earlier stages).

I hope it goes well with the therapist.

Gem

I came off Seroxat in August 2005 after a 4 month taper. I was initially prescibed a benzo for several months and then Prozac for 5 years and after that, Seroxat for 3 years and 9 months.

"It's like in the great stories Mr.Frodo, the ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were, and sometimes you didn't want to know the end because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end it's only a passing thing this shadow, even darkness must pass. A new day will come, and when the sun shines it'll shine out the clearer."  Samwise Gamgee, Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers

Hi Gem,

Thanks for your supportive words. Dancing is an amazing vehicle for change and healing. I hope you get to try a class and have a fun experience.

My health has been declining since the winter and hope it swings back the other way to feeling strong and healthy. I think a lot of it has to do with the lack of support and feeling as though I had to hide in many ways. I've begun therapy again and just talking about what has been circling my psyche for most of my adult life - is a relief in many ways. In a sense, to be a human, not a label or someone who is "sick" or hopeless. I know I need to make a lot of changes in my life to become "me". I am unsure who I am anymore without meds. 

Creativity is coming back to me as well. Taking art classes is motivating me to stick with it and meet new people who want to express themselves through art. I am happy you're experiencing more creativity and connection with others. That's a sign of recovery.

I attended an all day meditation workshop last weekend on mindfulness. I've been meditating on and off for quite a few years which has really helped me not get entangled with my destructive thought patterns sometimes. I love meditating with a group of people because the air in the room becomes calm and centred in a powerful way. I've always been drawn to quiet escapes in the heart of city life. 

1993-2003 Prozac 20mg
2003-2010 Zoloft 10mg

July 2012 - Drug free!

Hear, hear!!

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
6/08 quit Z & W after tapering, awful anxiety 3 mos. later, reinstated.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.
9/11-9/12 Waves and windows of recovery.
10/12 Awful relapse, DP/DR. Hydrocortisone?
11/12 Improved fairly quickly even though relapse was one of worst waves ever.

1/13 Best I've ever felt.

3/13 A bit of a relapse... then faster and shorter waves and windows.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

Thank you Ruby.

I am also trying to deal with destructive trains of thought. I am becoming more aware of how my mind can work and learning to recognise what's happening before I get caught up in it.

I 've been doing Yoga too and I think it is helping me release trauma from withdrawal, and emotion that has been blocked up. Letting myself feel seems like it is a vital part of my recovery, I am still working on it though!

Great to hear that you have started art classes and that you are finding relief in the therapy sessions. The mindfulness workshop sounds good.

Creativity has been such a strong part of me for much of my life, it was so very hard to temporarily lose connection with it during withdrawal. So to have it return and now develop is precious. I 've been learning new techniques recently and working with new materials.

Hears to reconnection and blossoming creativity!

All the best, Gem xxx

• 3 months later...

guys. It has been a while. Still trying to survive tge drug! Been of Cymgen for about 2 months now. Can withdrawal cause ocd and rumination? Please help me. I am experiencing extreme guilt feelings regarding my action while I was on this drug and drinking along with it. Please tell me this will pass? Ps - i have no history of ocd. Was taking Cymbalta for pain. Could this be neuro - emotions???Thank you!

Sorry that you are suffering with this CCS. Withdrawal can definitely cause OCD-like symptoms and rumination and it can amplify and exaggerate normal emotions.

I have also had strong feelings of guilt which were out of proportion to the actual events.

It will pass and things will come into perspective again.

I found simple distraction ( films, books, TV) to be valuable in trying to get my mind off the rumination/thoughts.

CCS Please send me a pm. 

Was on Citalopram 20mg since Feb 2008 - switched to Paxil 20mg in August 2010

Tapered way too fast in April 2012 by skipping days. Taper completed in 6 weeks

Tried prozac 20mg for 3 days - felt spaced out, not better.

Tried 30mg Cymbalta for 2 days. SEVERE ADVERSE REACTION

Antidepressant free since 14 August 2012

Birth control on and off during this time - Last taken 18 June 2017 - Morning after pill 

Started mainly using 0.5mg Xanax beginning 2016 for severe panic attacks and anxiety due to trauma

Xanax on and off never more than 0.5mg at a time, never taking it 3 days in a row - used sparingly 

6 Years antidepressant free - Still in severe withdrawal with over 60 symptoms

Severe setback started May 2018 with no let up to date. Developed many new symptoms like tremors, inner vibrations, insomnia, visual distortions and dr/dp are 100x worse, i have severe sensitivity to movement, My dizziness and vertigo got worse and it now feels like im constantly rocking on a boat, my anxiety is sky high, suicidal idiation is back, i feel extremely brain damaged 

• 3 months later...

I also have these spells or attacks of extreme agitation,rumination. I'm not able to get myself to be calm again. I start to cling to other people , asking for help , but it seems to only get worse when I do that. I start to panick , as nobody can help me , which only strengthen these spells. In these moments , i can't distract myself with watching something, or reading,.. I'm really scared of these spells , as everything turns into such dark hopelessness.

Effexor free for 36 months. Still on 25mg of Solian.

Tapering Xanax and on a dose of 0,15mg , splitted in four doses.

Last reductions:
9/06: 1.875%
7/07: 2.5%

22/07: 1.96%

• Moderator Emeritus

In these moments , i can't distract myself with watching something, or reading,.. I'm really scared of these spells , as everything turns into such dark hopelessness.

I've also found it can be difficult to distract from these intense states.  At different times I've found a few things which have helped a little.  Sometimes, getting up and doing something physical can break those moments of being stuck in the mind.  There have been times when I've felt like I was on the verge of going completely insane and I would grab my keys and almost run out the door, not having a clue where I was going, just needing to get away from my own mind.  I would usually find myself walking towards the park and doing a few laps of it.  It would help a little bit by bringing the energy down out of my head into my body.  Sometimes doing a few physical chores around the house can help.

Breathing and mantra type meditations can distract from ruminating and racing thoughts.  Focus on the in breath with one word, like peace and then on the the out breath with another word like calm, or any words really.  When the thoughts wander back to the ruminations, just gently bring them back to the breath and chosen words.  I was reading another one of your posts where you were concerned about 'the dangers of meditation', but withdrawal thoughts and emotions can be different from 'normal' states and not representative of reality at all, see:

Neuro-emotion

I've also found taurine helpful for racing thoughts, especially when waking up in the early hours of the morning with them.  This doesn't seem to work for everyone though.

Shamaan, please would you start an introduction topic for yourself where you can share your story, situation and drug history.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

I am having them off and on right now, going through past events and feeling guilty, and like I need to go back and fix them all. Like very irrational thoughts, like for instance i drove drunk in high school and college numerous times and I feel like I need to go confess this to the police department even though it was years ago. I began to feel guilty about filling my water bottle up at McDonalds without paying... Even though it's free.

It has fueled a whole new breed of insomnia.

And I feel this urgency to fix all these things, like catching up on unpaid bills, and it has brought me to moments of feeling like I dont want to live anymore. And there is a rational part of me saying, ok, it's just bills, they are just bills, not worth dying over, all the while my chest is burning and tight and heart pounding.

This has been going on for about a week and a half, I have had some intermittent relief, but they are still here.

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy