Gastrointestinal issues and bleeding

compsports

I just returned from being out of town for a few days.

As with alot of trips, it is hard to eat enough fruits and vegetables and drink enough water. Prior to going off of psych meds, this wasn't a major problem.

This time, not to get graphic but I experienced GI bleeding as a result of this. I also think drinking way more coffee than I usually drink didn't help.

Initially, I though it might be due to the fish oil capsules so I stopped taking them. But when the bleeding continued, I knew it had to be diet related.

Before anyone gets alarmed, once I returned home last night and ate plenty of vegetables and fruits and drank plenty of water, the bleeding stopped. Obviously, I am relieved as even though I thought it was trip related, I realize that causation doesn't always equal correlation.

Does being on psych meds have this effect on the body where if you get off kilter, you will pay for it big time as I did? I am stunned that I could have such an extreme reaction like this.

Obviously, if I go out of town again, I am going to have to do some big time planning so this doesn't happen again.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

hi CS,

i experienced GI bleeding, i had fear, but it needs one to three weeks to disappear, as you i eat vegetable soup, fruits,

i had bowels noises all night during two/three months, it is practically gone, today since one month i have muscles bowels tense kind of inflamation

abdomen is where there is 95 % serotonin of body, so this explain all people suffer this area

if this persists many many weeks so have to check

for me often it goes away and unfortunately comes back different never the same thing

for anxiety 

12 years paxil - cold turkey 1,5 month - switch celexa 1 year taper; total 13 years on brain meds 

67 years old - 9 years  med free

in protracted withdrawal

rigidity standing and walking, dryness gougerot-szoegren, sleep deteriorate,

function as have a lack of nerves, improving have been very little 

I haven't experienced that symptom myself. I also don't know how frequently people experience it post-meds -- I know some do. I bet others with more extensive knowledge will chime in with responses.

In my case, I drink plenty of water, enough that I have to be aware of my intake. While I have had all sorts of GI probs, I haven't experienced the symptoms you experienced on your trip. I definitely know how hard it can be, even at home, to eat the ideal diet at all times. So it's certainly understandable how the circumstances of travel got you off your diet/nutrition routine. Plus traveling, for me, often adds extra stress to the body... being away from home, sleeping in a different bed, dealing with different people... and stress can trigger/worsen symptoms for many.

Sorry you had to endure that. But I'm glad that your system seems to be back on track. That has to be somewhat relieving at the least...

Alex.i

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

hi CS,

i experienced GI bleeding, i had fear, but it needs one to three weeks to disappear, as you i eat vegetable soup, fruits,

i had bowels noises all night during two/three months, it is practically gone, today since one month i have muscles bowels tense kind of inflamation

abdomen is where there is 95 % serotonin of body, so this explain all people suffer this area

if this persists many many weeks so have to check

for me often it goes away and unfortunately comes back different never the same thing

Hi Stan,

Sorry you are experiencing this. If I understand your post correctly, it is better?

That would make sense there is an inflammation since serotonin is in the gut area.

CS

I haven't experienced that symptom myself. I also don't know how frequently people experience it post-meds -- I know some do. I bet others with more extensive knowledge will chime in with responses.

In my case, I drink plenty of water, enough that I have to be aware of my intake. While I have had all sorts of GI probs, I haven't experienced the symptoms you experienced on your trip. I definitely know how hard it can be, even at home, to eat the ideal diet at all times. So it's certainly understandable how the circumstances of travel got you off your diet/nutrition routine. Plus traveling, for me, often adds extra stress to the body... being away from home, sleeping in a different bed, dealing with different people... and stress can trigger/worsen symptoms for many.

Sorry you had to endure that. But I'm glad that your system seems to be back on track. That has to be somewhat relieving at the least...

Alex.i

Thanks Alex. I am sorry you have had GI problems.

My worst fear besides wondering if this was something new was dealing with lectures from a conventional medicine loving family who believes in it come heck or high water.

Oh, I am definitely relieved it is nothing. I figured it had to be trip related as this just doesn't pop up out of the blue without my noticing something. But of course, until I had the chance to verify my suspicions, I was uneasy.

CS

So sorry you had this scare, CS. I know of a couple of people who have had GI bleeding post ADs. It's not serious, but it's awful to be scared in this way! Stan makes a good point about how many serotonin receptors are in the gut and have been tampered with! But they will heal. That's great that you were able to correct it so quickly with diet!

1996-97 - Paxil x 9 months, tapered, suffered 8 months withdrawal but didn't know it was withdrawal, so...

1998-2001 - Zoloft, tapered, again unwittingly went into withdrawal, so...

2002-03 - Paxil x 20 months, developed severe headaches, so...

Sep 03 - May 05 - Paxil taper took 20 months, severe physical, moderate psychological symptoms

Sep 03 - Jun 05 - took Prozac to help with Paxil taper - not recommended

Jul 05 to date - post-taper, severe psychological, moderate physical symptoms, improving very slowly

Unbearable and atrocious diarrhea and intestinal cramps were my forst WD symptom to show up after my CT (and also earlier WD attempts) and tortured me for about 20 long, long months!

But it was the first WD symptom to vanish and though I am not out of the woods yet, my guts feel completely normal again for the last one and a half yer, no diarrea, no cramps except somtimes for one day during a very heavy wave. SO yes, the receptors in the gut DO heal, and prbably a lot easier than in the brain...

10 mg Paxil/Seroxat since 2002
several attempts to quit since 2004
Quit c/t again Oktober 2007, in protracted w/d since then
after 3.5 years slight improvement but still on the road

after 6 years pretty much recovered but still some nasty residual sypmtons
after 8.5 years working again on a 90% base and basically functioning normally again!

• Administrator

cs, when you say GI bleeding, do you mean blood after (how do I say this) a bowel movement?

What you might have is a hemorrhoid, or an enlarged vein in the pooper. This is very, very common. If you get a little dry, as happens when you don't have your habitual amounts to drink or veggies to eat, a little more effort to produce a bowel movement may cause hemorrhoids to bleed.

Usually this is bright red blood at the end of a bowel movement or on the tissue paper. This is not nearly as serious as GI bleeding.

Hemorrhoidal bleeding usually stops when you get back to more regular habits.

The loose bowels or diarrhea of withdrawal syndrome can also irritate hemorrhoids and cause bleeding. I had this for years, with hemorrhoidal bleeding off and on, but fortunately all the gut issues cleared up a few months ago, and my bowel movements have become almost normal.

(End of TMI. But in a good cause!)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

i wanted to explain this, but it was too hard ,

yes, if blood is red fresh (internal hemorroid) we can wait 3 weeks, it will improve, but if blood is dark red, if it lasts weeks, have to check

in withdrawal, it often improves in 3/5 weeks

i had so many problems i could go every day to doctor, but i do only heart/blood, we have often to wait, it goes away

see , i told i had bowels tense or cramps ,i do not know,

it is much better today

i will experience something else in another area, it is withdrawal

for anxiety 

12 years paxil - cold turkey 1,5 month - switch celexa 1 year taper; total 13 years on brain meds 

67 years old - 9 years  med free

in protracted withdrawal

rigidity standing and walking, dryness gougerot-szoegren, sleep deteriorate,

function as have a lack of nerves, improving have been very little 

As an FYI, it was bright red blood. The reason I thought it might be GI related was because my system felt very strange and not to gross anyone out but blood was coming out in clots.

Since returning home, I continue to not have any more symptoms. So my suspicions were definitely correct about the causes.

CS

• Administrator

Three words: Prunes and water.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Three words: Prunes and water.

Great reminder for when I go out of town again. Thanks!

By the way, prunes have a substance that helps with osteoporosis. Of course, I forgot what it is.

CS

• Administrator

Newman's Own is quite tasty.

Newman's Own is quite tasty.

I will check it out.

Trader Joe's prunes are decent.

Thanks!

Important Information