SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

May The New Force Be With You

Healing

A reminder that there are more things going on behind the scenes than we yet know about --

At Particle Lab, a Tantalizing Glimpse Has Physicists Holding Their Breath

By DENNIS OVERBYE

April 5, 2011

Physicists at the Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory [illinois] are planning to announce Wednesday that they have found a suspicious bump in their data that could be evidence of a new elementary particle or even, some say, a new force of nature.....

“Nobody knows what this is,” said Christopher Hill, a theorist at Fermilab who was not part of the team. “If it is real, it would be the most significant discovery in physics in half a century.”

One possible explanation for this mysterious bump, scientists say, is that it is evidence of a new and unexpected version of the long-sought Higgs boson. This is a hypothetical elementary particle that, according to the reigning theory known as the Standard Model, is responsible for endowing other elementary particles with mass.

Another explanation might be that it is evidence of a new force of nature — in addition to gravity, electromagnetism, and the strong and weak nuclear forces we already know and are baffled by — that would manifest itself only at very short distances like those that rule inside the atomic nucleus.

Either could shake what has passed for conventional wisdom in physics for the last few decades. Or it could be there is something they do not understand about so-called regular physics.

Giovanni Punzi, the Fermilab physicist who is spokesman for the international team that did the work, said by e-mail that he and his colleagues were “strongly thrilled at the possibility, and cautious at the same time, because this would be so important that it almost scares us — so we think of all possible alternative explanations.”

Physicists outside the Fermilab circle said they regarded the results, which have been widely discussed in physics circles for several months, with a mixture of awe and skepticism.

“If it holds up, it’s very big,” said Neal Weiner, a theoretical physicist at New York University. Lisa Randall, a theorist at Harvard, said the same thing: “It is definitely interesting, if real.”

But Nima Arkani-Hamed of the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton, N.J., said he did not find the bump convincing, saying it could be an artifact of how the data was sliced and diced.....

If real, it was something totally new, Dr. Punzi said. The result had recently been strengthened, he said, by new calculations of interactions between quarks, which are notoriously difficult to compute. “It is so new, so astonishing, we ourselves can barely believe it,” he said. “We decided we had to let the whole world know.”.....

Full article at --

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/06/science/06particle.html?_r=1

1996-97 - Paxil x 9 months, tapered, suffered 8 months withdrawal but didn't know it was withdrawal, so...

1998-2001 - Zoloft, tapered, again unwittingly went into withdrawal, so...

2002-03 - Paxil x 20 months, developed severe headaches, so...

Sep 03 - May 05 - Paxil taper took 20 months, severe physical, moderate psychological symptoms

Sep 03 - Jun 05 - took Prozac to help with Paxil taper - not recommended

Jul 05 to date - post-taper, severe psychological, moderate physical symptoms, improving very slowly

• Administrator

A new force of nature? You mean like sex? Sounds like fun!

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

A reminder that there are more things going on behind the scenes than we yet know about --

So true. I'd bet this board displays greater skepticism and nuance in thought when compared to general public as a result of our Drug experiences. I know I do. For a time I accepted certain things, conventional wisdom or what have you, but I discovered things are rarely as simple or tidy as conventional wisdom wants you to believe. I'm probably not alone in this regard among the posters here.

I'm sure we still have a lot to learn about our physical universe. I find physics fascinating and, even as a layperson, know how little we know for sure. And how often even the most brilliant have been wrong. It's an amazing thing and very humbling to come to grips with the size, complexity and mystery of the known universe. I also find it very comforting to be a small part of something so much larger.

I am fascinated by the idea that some percentage of the things we think of today as indisputably true will be proven false in the future. Things we universally believe to be healthy or ethical or dangerous or explanatory will be punchlines to future generations. And we have no way of knowing which of our core beliefs are actually inaccurate until one is disproven.

This reminds me of something my doctor told me. He was a physician and treated many Vietnam vets in the 70s and 80s. According to him, enlisted men back in the 60s were lined up and injected with vaccinations one after another before shipping out to combat. The army doc used the same vaccination gun, same needle, for administering the vaccine to all the men. At the time nobody realized how dangerous this was and, sadly, 100s of men contracted viral hep C from exposuure to the blood of those before them in the vaccination line who carried the virus...

Who knows what we'll discover in the future about the things we currently think are safe.

I have heard psych drugs may not be all that good for ya...

Alex.I

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

I'd bet this board displays greater skepticism and nuance in thought when compared to general public as a result of our Drug experiences. I know I do. For a time I accepted certain things, conventional wisdom or what have you, but I discovered things are rarely as simple or tidy as conventional wisdom wants you to believe. I'm probably not alone in this regard among the posters here.

I've been in the online AD w/d community for five years now and I would say that 99.9% of people I have encountered in it have profited from this ordeal in the sense that it has opened up their critical thinking. Almost every person has become more questioning of authority, and of the insidious force of convention. Just imagine how this will profit all of us in other arenas in the future!

I am fascinated by the idea that some percentage of the things we think of today as indisputably true will be proven false in the future. Things we universally believe to be healthy or ethical or dangerous or explanatory will be punchlines to future generations. And we have no way of knowing which of our core beliefs are actually inaccurate until one is disproven.

I have also learned invaluable humility from this ordeal. I hope I will never again say "That's impossible" to anyone's account of their experience, no matter how outre it may sound. I would *never* have believed what we're all going through was possible if I hadn't experienced it myself. So, having discovered how very wrong I can be, how can I ever think I know it all again?

Unfortunately, while 99.9% of my fellow survivors have had their eyes opened to the limits of authority's wisdom and conventional wisdom, I still see a significant percentage who handle this life-changing ordeal by finding a new line in the sand which they will now defend. This disappoints me, but I know it is a defense against great fear.

Anyhoo, I couldn't agree more with you, and thanks for posting it! :)

1996-97 - Paxil x 9 months, tapered, suffered 8 months withdrawal but didn't know it was withdrawal, so...

Sep 03 - May 05 - Paxil taper took 20 months, severe physical, moderate psychological symptoms

Jul 05 to date - post-taper, severe psychological, moderate physical symptoms, improving very slowly

Not quite sure if this video can be watched by everybody in WD, for it shows the mind-boggling enormosity of the micro and macro universe so convincingly, it may be scary. It's a cult classic by Charles and Ray Eames from 1977. Interestingly enough, they don't mention quarks in it, though the theory on those was first proposed in 60s.

2000-2008 Paxil for a situational depression

2008 - Paxil c/t

Severe protracted WD syndrome ever since; improving

“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once”

Albert Einstein

"Add signature to your profile. This way we can help you even better!"

Surviving Antidepressants ;)

And, above all, ... keep walking. Just keep walking.

Very much enjoyed that Neuro, thanks.

Found it very comforting actually.

Alex

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

the youtube is interesting, the mystery of life, i thought, if all the universe is not a part of many universes, we are touching the madness ,

and i think it would be better to live and enjoy simple things than give us vertigo fear

for anxiety 

12 years paxil - cold turkey 1,5 month - switch celexa 1 year taper; total 13 years on brain meds 

67 years old - 9 years  med free

in protracted withdrawal

rigidity standing and walking, dryness gougerot-szoegren, sleep deteriorate,

function as have a lack of nerves, improving have been very little 

Absolutely hypnotic! Thanks for posting it, NP!

“The effect of adding another zero” – a new SA meme. It means stepping back to get a better perspective, or remembering The Big Picture.

Also, so interesting that alternation “between great activity and relative inactivity” is a basic pattern of the universe at all levels.

This video was so ahead of its times! Funny how we now get to do this feat so often using Google maps – well, at least going from “Street View” to satellite view. Maybe the common use of Google maps will increase the peace. So many astronauts have had the we-really-are-one-what-a-goddam-beautiful-planet epiphany when they got a satellite view.

The narrator talks about how much empty space there is in the universe. There is also much empty space in the atom, and, thus, in our own bodies.

If an atom were the size of a football stadium, the nucleus would be the size of a basketball, and an electron would be the size of a pea. That’s what we’re made of. When you think of it this way, you can see how the power of thought, or of energy healing could change your physical structure. Because there really ain’t much physical structure!

While we’re thinking about how there’s more behind the scenes that we don’t know about yet *and* about how there’s a lot of apparent space at all levels of the universe, let’s just add in that physicists still can only account for 4% of what the universe is composed of.

“It's an embarrassment of gargantuan proportions that lies at the heart of modern physics, a kind of cosmic elephant in the room. Put simply, physicists realize that when we look out 13.7 billion light years across the visible universe with our telescopes, whether at visible, infrared, gamma ray or x-ray wavelengths, we are only seeing a tiny proportion of all that there is. Modern physics and its key theories of Newtonian and quantum mechanics and general relativity, which has successfully provided us with everything from iPods to GPS systems simply doesn't have a clue as to what makes up 96% of the universe.

The best estimates of cosmologists and physicists reveal that the universe is constituted of 4% of normal baryonic matter, consisting of the things we see with our eyes and detectors. This is made of atoms and their constituent parts -- and includes stars, planets and intergalactic dust…..”

The rest is being researched under the headings “Dark Energy” and “Dark Matter.”

Source:

Andy Fleming

96% of Our Universe is Missing - What Can the Matter Be?

http://ezinearticles.com/?96%-of-Our-Universe-is-Missing---What-Can-the-Matter-Be?&id=4191369

If an atom were the size of a football stadium, the nucleus would be the size of a basketball, and an electron would be the size of a pea.

I remember when I read about it when I was a kid. It was sooooo can't-wrap-my-head-around-it it's not even funny. I was basically looking at my hand trying to understand where this darn "empty space" * is. :blink:

*didn't find it to this day :D

2008 - Paxil c/t

Albert Einstein

While we’re thinking about how there’s more behind the scenes that we don’t know about yet *and* about how there’s a lot of apparent space at all levels of the universe, let’s just add in that physicists still can only account for 4% of what the universe is composed of.

“It's an embarrassment of gargantuan proportions that lies at the heart of modern physics, a kind of cosmic elephant in the room. Put simply, physicists realize that when we look out 13.7 billion light years across the visible universe with our telescopes, whether at visible, infrared, gamma ray or x-ray wavelengths, we are only seeing a tiny proportion of all that there is. Modern physics and its key theories of Newtonian and quantum mechanics and general relativity, which has successfully provided us with everything from iPods to GPS systems simply doesn't have a clue as to what makes up 96% of the universe.

The best estimates of cosmologists and physicists reveal that the universe is constituted of 4% of normal baryonic matter, consisting of the things we see with our eyes and detectors. This is made of atoms and their constituent parts -- and includes stars, planets and intergalactic dust…..”

The rest is being researched under the headings “Dark Energy” and “Dark Matter.”

Source:

Andy Fleming

96% of Our Universe is Missing - What Can the Matter Be?

http://ezinearticles.com/?96%-of-Our-Universe-is-Missing---What-Can-the-Matter-Be?&id=4191369

I promise to be back to this thread in precisely 20 years, which would be 28 May 2031 and we will check how much more we know. Hold me to my word, guys!*

*this may be saying "me" from 28 May 2031 time-travelling in Tardis

2008 - Paxil c/t

Albert Einstein

If an atom were the size of a football stadium, the nucleus would be the size of a basketball, and an electron would be the size of a pea.

I remember when I read about it when I was a kid. It was sooooo can't-wrap-my-head-around-it it's not even funny. I was basically looking at my hand trying to understand where this darn "empty space" * is. :blink:

*didn't find it to this day :D

Well, maybe it's empty of matter, but there's something else there. For example -- the zero point field, information, consciousness, love. Every time we think we've gotten to the bottom layer of reality, we find there's more.

I promise to be back to this thread in precisely 20 years, which would be 28 May 2031 and we will check how much more we know. Hold me to my word, guys!*

Good news, Sur! Survivingantidepressants is going strong in 2031, and has given birth to an AA-model, peer-run movement that has swept the globe and raised consciousness far and wide.

In case I'm in orbit, please say hi to everyone for me. Or, maybe I'll just appear... and say hi to everyone myself.

Charter Member 2011

:D

2008 - Paxil c/t

Albert Einstein

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy