Surgery and anesthesia

alexjuice

ADMIN NOTE About dental surgery

Due to ongoing GI problems my doctor has scheduled me for a esophagogastroduodenoscopy, a minimally invasive procedure to peer down into the esophadhus, stomach, etc. She wants to take a good look because of my range of issues and I'll need to be put under for 2-3 hrs. They use the surgical aneasthetic propofol, which I've been in exposed to in w/d already without issue.

I wanted to consult with the board as my sensitivies change over time and it's been a long while since my exposure to anesthesia. Has anyone had any issues with it, specifically propofol (wonderful stuff last time: out and back up like nothing ever happened-- I wasn't even drowsy.)

Alex

Edited by Altostrata
added admin note

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

• Administrator

Hard to predict. Since you had it before with no problem, I wouldn't worry about it.

Notify your doctor you have autonomic instability (if she doesn't know already).

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

The thing went well. I didn't have any problems with the propofol and, while I haven't yet gotten the report, there were no 'unexpected undesirable' issues uncovered. I expect a good report, that things aren't too bad. I also expect my doc to tell me to take PPIs. Keep trying em til you've tried em all, she said before the thing...

Also, I'll write about this elsewhere but sleep problems induced me to try coffee. Interesting results. I am tolerating more normal doses with less sensitivity. Also it encourages bowel movements to the benefit of my GI symptoms. Caffeine is supposed to be off limits for reflux folks but it's thus far been positive for me, probably since my reflux is caused by disorderd (delayed) gastric emptying.

That's the thing of w/d. Uncharted waters. I threw out the rule book and don't really take doctor's orders and do a lot of research and accept risks in acting vs nonacting on a problem and accept that life/health is, always was, a gamble, that I'm more aware of the nature of the bargain today as a result of w/d ... How health is wasted on the healthy!

Alex

- Zimmerman

• Administrator

Not to get into TMI but -- Have you tried roughage to regularize bowel movements? Metamucil, etc.? Could be the key right there.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Not to get into TMI but -- Have you tried roughage to regularize bowel movements? Metamucil, etc.? Could be the key right there.

Ha, Alto, I think I breached TMI a few months ago and have done so again and again! Or maybe I'm just shy!

To your point, I have not tried much of that as I was advised to do the opposite. The GI folks I've seen think I have trouble with motility and that fiber may make it worse. But my problems are from psych meds and, honestly, they're not experienced in effectively treating symptoms under the conditions that produced mine. So far their recs have not been fruitful by and large. Of course, that doesn't mean that doing opposite will have a positive result. (Though that is how it seems sometimes in this deal, at least for me and at least in retrospect.)

BMs are still very irregular. GI function is still notsogood. Adding some roughage may be helpful. The results of my gastric emptying test (coming next week) will shed some brighter light on the situation, and it's possible that roughage may turn out to be just what the doctor orders.

Alex

- Zimmerman

• 4 months later...

Hi everyone.

I'm going to have surgery in a few months and will need to be in the hospital for a few days afterward. I'm am VERY nervous about having surgery while going through this withdrawal. Has anyone else had surgery during withdrawal? If so, did it have a huge impact or setback on recovery?

Dec 2004 - Put on Zoloft after having a panic attack from the Birth Control Ortho Evra Patch (the doctors thought I was completely insane when I told them I think the Birth Control Patch is giving me anxiety/panic. Funny how they tell you NOW that Birth Control can indeed cause anxiety) Started at 25mg, increased to 50 mg and 100 mg in 2007. They made me too sleepy so decreased back to 50mg until 2009. Reduced to 25 mg in 2010.

Oct 2010 - Decided to come off Zoloft to try and have children. Didn't know anything about tapering because apparently, my doctor didn't know about it either. WDs included heart palpitations, dizziness, tinnitus etc. Decided to go back on Zoloft within 2 weeks of stopping.

January 2011 - Knowing a little more about tapering, I decided to stop taking taking Zoloft with my doctors help again. She told me to hurry and taper in 4 weeks because the tinnitus could become permanent. I thought this was too fast so I took another month to taper.

March 30, 2011 - Last Zoloft pill.

Had a little dizziness & sadness, but felt fine until Aug 2011 after a relative died.

Since then symptoms include brain shivers, migraine headaches on right side of head, warm/hot sensations on right side of head and ears, internal vibrations, tremor, muscle twitches, strange sensations in right side of head, anxiety, nervousness, sadness, disconnected, depersonalization, numbness on left side of body at times, neck pain, muscle/rib cage pains,  just don't feel like myself :(

• Administrator

Hi, Dani. I merged your question into a similar topic.

I suggest you make it clear to your doctor, the surgeon, and the anesthesiologist that your system might be hypersensitive to anesthetics, sedatives, etc. and to minimize their use. Let them know you have autonomic instability due to withdrawal syndrome.

Thanks Alto. After reading the previous messages & doing a little research, I read that propofol is good for those who are chemically sensitive. I will make sure I drill into my doctors & anesthesiologists heads about my sensitive nervous system.

Dec 2004 - Put on Zoloft after having a panic attack from the Birth Control Ortho Evra Patch (the doctors thought I was completely insane when I told them I think the Birth Control Patch is giving me anxiety/panic. Funny how they tell you NOW that Birth Control can indeed cause anxiety) Started at 25mg, increased to 50 mg and 100 mg in 2007. They made me too sleepy so decreased back to 50mg until 2009. Reduced to 25 mg in 2010.

Oct 2010 - Decided to come off Zoloft to try and have children. Didn't know anything about tapering because apparently, my doctor didn't know about it either. WDs included heart palpitations, dizziness, tinnitus etc. Decided to go back on Zoloft within 2 weeks of stopping.

January 2011 - Knowing a little more about tapering, I decided to stop taking taking Zoloft with my doctors help again. She told me to hurry and taper in 4 weeks because the tinnitus could become permanent. I thought this was too fast so I took another month to taper.

Had a little dizziness & sadness, but felt fine until Aug 2011 after a relative died.

Since then symptoms include brain shivers, migraine headaches on right side of head, warm/hot sensations on right side of head and ears, internal vibrations, tremor, muscle twitches, strange sensations in right side of head, anxiety, nervousness, sadness, disconnected, depersonalization, numbness on left side of body at times, neck pain, muscle/rib cage pains,  just don't feel like myself :(

Having emergency surgery while on Cymbalta is what gave me my first big taste of w/d syndrome. I'm not sure if it was from the anesthesia or just from not being able to take the Cymbalta due to being on IV for a few days. I'm going to be getting a TL and will have to have anesthesia soon and I'm concerned about this as well. I'll be sure to tell them what you all said here about being sensitive.

Taper from Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac & Antipsychotics finished June 2012.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

In my first try, docs felt surgical anesthetic unnecessary. Attempted to put me out with a narco-benzo drip (phentanyl and versed). This was not effective. They were shocked that I entered the procedure room in full conversational mode. So the procedure was aborted and rescheduled.

Propofol worked well for me and without adverse effect. Also they didn't administer a benzo, which I would today decline b/c of my benzo history. Plus its entirely unnecessary with a surgical anesthetic so I don't even know that they are paired.

In the future, I will insist on propofol even if it means (as it did before) that the hospital must bring down an anesthesiologist as well, which did complicate things a bit last time. But it's benzofree and agreed well enough with my CNS.

Alex

Alex ~

Q: Did the docs offer an explanation of why the fentanyl - versed drip was ineffective

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Alex ~

Q: Did the docs offer an explanation of why the fentanyl - versed drip was ineffective

No, they were shocked I was not unconscious.

I told them I'd been reacting oddly to medications since I stopped taking psych meds and that I had benzo history. They didn't really say anything in response.

My impression was that the doc had not before seen anyone take the IV and remain conscious ( and talkative), though doc didn't say that.

Alex

- Zimmerman

It wasn't covered in their textbooks

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

It wasn't covered in their textbooks

I was thinking the same thing. That is what makes me nervous. I think they won't believe me when I tell them what's going on b/c if it's not in the textbook it can't possibly exist. Just a shame.

From talking with benzo recovery folks I've heard doctors are usually understanding about sensitivities. I'd think they would also respect a patients decision to use n agent like propofol rather than a potent narcotic like fentanyl, if that is how youd prefer.

So, Dani, I presume your doctor will be understanding and will work to keep you at ease.

Also, if you react irregularly to medication, make this known. The doctor is likely to comprehend your concerns better than the nurse, so explain the situation to your doc.

You want to discuss this before arriving for the procedure. I understand your anxiety, but predict you'll be heard and accommodated if you express your concerns in a reasonable way.

Alex

- Zimmerman

I believe anesthesiologists may be more aware and cautious of potential complications - perhaps because the effects of their work are more apparent - and monitored

From talking with benzo recovery folks I've heard doctors are usually understanding about sensitivities. I'd think they would also respect a patients decision to use n agent like propofol rather than a potent narcotic like fentanyl, if that is how youd prefer.

So, Dani, I presume your doctor will be understanding and will work to keep you at ease.

Also, if you react irregularly to medication, make this known. The doctor is likely to comprehend your concerns better than the nurse, so explain the situation to your doc.

You want to discuss this before arriving for the procedure. I understand your anxiety, but predict you'll be heard and accommodated if you express your concerns in a reasonable way.

Alex

My surgery was delayed until july but I plan to start drilling the fact that I have chemical sensitivities into their heads @ my next doctors appt. I will try to keep a positive attitude (:

• 1 month later...

I believe anesthesiologists may be more aware and cautious of potential complications - perhaps because the effects of their work are more apparent - and monitored

I was talking to my therapist about surgery today. She said almost the exact same thing you said. Still not looking forward to surgery tho :(

• Moderator Emeritus

I recently had cataract surgery twice, and had propofol both times to good effect. They were also going to give me a bezno, but did not at my request. The nurse was just putting me in the que, disregarding my request, but I insisted on talking with the anesthesiologist, who in no way wanted to give me a bezo when told my fear was that I would get so wired as to want to climb the walls when rest was needed after the procedure.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• 1 month later...

What painkillers did they give you after surgery?

Unrelated to withdrawal ... wisdom teeth removed years ago (part of TMJ treatment) and the day after felt great - minus full body muscle tightness that I wasn't even aware I had until I didn't have it. Alert and energetic. I was expecting to feel hungover, pain from surgery, but was opposite... cleaned whole house, etc. I tried to find out what general anesthetic was used, but never did. Wondering if this aftereffect sounds familiar to anyone. Propofol?

Unrelated to withdrawal ... wisdom teeth removed years ago (part of TMJ treatment) and the day after felt great - minus full body muscle tightness that I wasn't even aware I had until I didn't have it. Alert and energetic. I was expecting to feel hungover, pain from surgery, but was opposite... cleaned whole house, etc. I tried to find out what general anesthetic was used, but never did. Wondering if this aftereffect sounds familiar to anyone. Propofol?

I need to have a myomectomy next month. I'm scared!!!

Dani,

I've taken hydrocodone (Norco) without problem since DCing Pristiq. I havent had a hypersensitivity problem, thankfully.

B

Dani,

I've taken hydrocodone (Norco) without problem since DCing Pristiq. I havent had a hypersensitivity problem, thankfully.

B

Thank you for your input. I am just so scared of my upcoming surgery...especially since I started feeling terrible again

Is there a particular part that scares you most? I've had a few surgeries and it's natural to be a bit afraid.

Is there a particular part that scares you most? I've had a few surgeries and it's natural to be a bit afraid.

I'm mostly scared about the anesthesia & if I will be thrown into a deeper withdrawal hell :(

Do you feel comfortable talking with your doc? It seems that people are doing fine with Propofol. I had surgery in wrist a few years ago and was surprised at how thorough and cautious every person was. Extensive pre-op screening a few days prior and everyone double and triple checked things day of surgery. The surgeon talked to me in OR area and confirmed which wrist, drew smiley with his initials on my wrist. ;) Anesthesiologist talked with me and really listened and explained. Very unlike most rushed medicine today.

You'll do fine, but defintely let your docs and especially anesthesioligist know your concerns. They are very in tune with drug interactions and reactions since that is what they do all day - administer drugs and monitor.

There is quite a bit of paperwork prior to surgery (mine was a few days prior). That is standard to inform of risks for any person. Do you have someone who will be there with you, Dani? I'm sorry if you've said this earlier!

Yes, you probably will have some pain afterward. I had more than anticipated and they jumped straight to opiates and morphine drip which did nothing. I had severe inflammation and finally requested a simple antiinflammatory. They put toradol in my IV and it worked like a charm! A supercharged ibuprofen!

I'm going to have a procedure done too in possibly a month as well and am nervous also.

I totally understand you Dani!!!

Has anyone read/put together a list of what we should avoid?

I can certainly say no benzo but since this is in IVF egg retrevial done in an office so I'm not sure if anyone will be around qualified for propofol.

Isn't that the stuff that reduced Michael Jackson breathing so much it killed him? So you need a full MD for anesthesia as well?

I may just be horribly over thinking this but now that I've learned so much from those on the board I totally understand Dani's concern.

Years:150mg Wellbutrin (to concentrate) 20-30 mg Celexa (rumination).

CT 8/2011 during a pregnancy attempt under MD orders. (Idiot!!!) Pregnancy hormones allowed it.

Felt great with 6 mg of melatonin per night to sleep plus preggo hormones-didn't last:(

Best time of my life. Botched IVF in Dec 2011.Stress.

Bone chilling exhaustion and told to go back on celexa and wellbutrin.

4/9/2012 Back on celexa wb for some relief, wb gave me heart palps so dropped and only need 6.6 mg celexa and 1/4 melatonin pill...IMPROVEMENT because my doses are much lower!

REMEMBER to get your thyroid and hormones checked/out of whack ones can appear LIKE MOOD DISORDERS!!

Dani-

Have you had surgery or been under before?

Years:150mg Wellbutrin (to concentrate) 20-30 mg Celexa (rumination).

CT 8/2011 during a pregnancy attempt under MD orders. (Idiot!!!) Pregnancy hormones allowed it.

Felt great with 6 mg of melatonin per night to sleep plus preggo hormones-didn't last:(

Best time of my life. Botched IVF in Dec 2011.Stress.

Bone chilling exhaustion and told to go back on celexa and wellbutrin.

4/9/2012 Back on celexa wb for some relief, wb gave me heart palps so dropped and only need 6.6 mg celexa and 1/4 melatonin pill...IMPROVEMENT because my doses are much lower!

REMEMBER to get your thyroid and hormones checked/out of whack ones can appear LIKE MOOD DISORDERS!!

Yes, Propofol is one of the many drugs MJ was on. That was totally inappropriate usage of a drug that should be closely monitored in a hospital setting. I've had anesthesia many times from a young age and never had a problem.

Good idea to compile a list of question/considerations.

Dani-

Have you had surgery or been under before?

Yes, twice before but they were both 10 years ago...before withdrawal...before zoloft.

I'm going to have a procedure done too in possibly a month as well and am nervous also.

I totally understand you Dani!!!

Has anyone read/put together a list of what we should avoid?

I can certainly say no benzo but since this is in IVF egg retrevial done in an office so I'm not sure if anyone will be around qualified for propofol.

Isn't that the stuff that reduced Michael Jackson breathing so much it killed him? So you need a full MD for anesthesia as well?

I may just be horribly over thinking this but now that I've learned so much from those on the board I totally understand Dani's concern.

As far as MJ, I think he used it in his home as a sleep agent. It's only suppose to be used in a hospital setting. But believe me, he's the first thing I thought of too!

Do you feel comfortable talking with your doc? It seems that people are doing fine with Propofol. I had surgery in wrist a few years ago and was surprised at how thorough and cautious every person was. Extensive pre-op screening a few days prior and everyone double and triple checked things day of surgery. The surgeon talked to me in OR area and confirmed which wrist, drew smiley with his initials on my wrist. ;) Anesthesiologist talked with me and really listened and explained. Very unlike most rushed medicine today.

You'll do fine, but defintely let your docs and especially anesthesioligist know your concerns. They are very in tune with drug interactions and reactions since that is what they do all day - administer drugs and monitor.

There is quite a bit of paperwork prior to surgery (mine was a few days prior). That is standard to inform of risks for any person. Do you have someone who will be there with you, Dani? I'm sorry if you've said this earlier!

Yes, you probably will have some pain afterward. I had more than anticipated and they jumped straight to opiates and morphine drip which did nothing. I had severe inflammation and finally requested a simple antiinflammatory. They put toradol in my IV and it worked like a charm! A supercharged ibuprofen!

I have a few doc appts before surgery so I will definitely speak to my doc, the surgeon and the anesthesiologist. Doing my own research, I read propofol is good for anyone chemically sensitive. I'm concerned about aftercare as well. I remember when I had two wisdom teeth taken out, I was given vicodin. I took one and nearly blacked out, so I don't want to try that...and that happened before this awful withdrawal. I'm just scared :(

• 3 weeks later...

Well, surgery is in less than a month & I am absolutely terrified!!! I'm just a mess & the stress of this is making withdrawal horrible :( I have to do my medical clearance in abt 10 days where I will tell my doctor & surgeon abt my hypersensitivity. I'm just so scared abt it all...anesthesia, painkillers, everything. I'm scared!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I had anesthesia last week for a surgical procedure and I did fine. No trouble at all. Today I had sedation for a steroid injection and it made me feel weird later, imbalanced and yucky, but that went away after a couple of hours.

Taper from Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac & Antipsychotics finished June 2012.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

I had anesthesia last week for a surgical procedure and I did fine. No trouble at all. Today I had sedation for a steroid injection and it made me feel weird later, imbalanced and yucky, but that went away after a couple of hours.

Thanks Shanti. I spoke to my doctor & she told me that propofol is always used when she performs surgery but that I can talk to the anesthesiologist just to help clear my mind. I am nervous about pain management after surgery. I will be in the hospital for 3 days afterward. I'm reading that I should stay away from fentanyl, versed, etc. So I'm not sure what I can use.

Dani,

The antiinflammatory Toradol can be used short term. It worked like a charm when morphine failed. It should have been used FIRST!

I've been fine with short course of opiates used as needed (hydrocodone).

You'll be ok. :)

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy