Altostrata

King of supplements: Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

powerback   
powerback

EPA and DHA are these the ingredients that need to be the main ones ,some brands differ alot

peng   
peng

Reading some up to date Harvard Medical School publications I purchased for download.

"Making Sense of Vitamins and Minerals" says "Do not take vitamin E supplements unless you have AMD - age related macular degeneration - and are taking the vitamin in consultation with your health care provider." 

I am currently taking a capsule a day after reading that it may help with absorption of the Omega 3 we mostly favour on this site.  Just wondering if I should drop the E vit.

Any views, folks?

Junglechicken   
Junglechicken

Am taking Omega 3.6.9 for skin, hair and heart health.

My skin is still ropy (eczema), and hair still falling out, but I think the hair issue is peri-meno related.

Anyway, will continue taking these supplements until the balance has been tipped back.....stress threw my body out completely, bad diet etc.,

Damage control taking place.

peng   
peng
22 hours ago, peng said:

Reading some up to date Harvard Medical School publications I purchased for download.

"Making Sense of Vitamins and Minerals" says "Do not take vitamin E supplements unless you have AMD - age related macular degeneration - and are taking the vitamin in consultation with your health care provider." 

I am currently taking a capsule a day after reading that it may help with absorption of the Omega 3 we mostly favour on this site.  Just wondering if I should drop the E vit.

Any views, folks?

Any mods, please?

manymoretodays   
manymoretodays

Hi Peng,

Did the article say why the "Do not take vitamin E supplements unless......."  ?  What are the cons of taking it?

I'm hoping now that it is preventative for age related macular degeneration.

Maybe a mod will have some further wisdom to offer too......

Are you taking a pure EPA Omega 3 supplement?  I have shied away from the too high EPA to DHA ratio as I read that the EPA could be overstimulating in some.  And only take about 1200mg. of the 2 combined daily.  Seems to help.  I also have used the Vitamin E now for 6mos. to a year.......no problems. 

Interested......

mmt

peng   
peng

I am taking two omega 3 capsules/day.  Total 1440mg. 660mg/DHA - 540mg/EPA.  

Was taking vit E 400ui.  Felt fine, really.

Harvard do not seem to like the idea of taking supplements of vit E ('cept for AMD).

" These findings, coupled with other research showing no beneficial effects from vit E supplements for heart disease, cancer or cognitive decline make a strong case for avoiding these amber-coloured capsules altogether."

"These findings" refers to a couple of meta analyses suggesting "that taking vitamin E supplements may increase your risk of dying early."

As a former expert witness in a totally different field, I would say that one must remember that the aforementioned is expert opinion and not fact.

Dying early? Ho hum, what a tangled web......

manymoretodays   
manymoretodays

That's about what mine are too......as far as my omega 3's go, with the EPA/DHA per capsule.  I have no macular degeneration that I know of so hopefully will prevent that :rolleyes:  Ha ha, who knows.

Dying earlier than what?  The old insurance table method of longevity?

Oh well.....we all gotta go sometime.  Hopefully not too soon.

manymoretodays

peng   
peng

Dying earlier than if you didnt take the E supplements or were on a placebo I am guessing.

Happy2Heal   
Happy2Heal
On 6/18/2017 at 6:40 AM, peng said:

Any views, folks?

If at all possible, I try to find foods that contain the vitamin or mineral that I think I may need.

this may help:

https://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/vitamin-e-foods/

a quick google search turned up a lot of articles that say that using a vit E supplement may not be helpful, and possibly slightly harmful.

it says nothing about getting the vit from food however.

My mother, who had lung cancer, was enrolled in a study of taking mega doses of beta carotene to see if it would help slow the growth of the cancer. It turned out that those supplementing with beta carotene had their cancer spread, those who didn't take the supplement, did better, and they needed to end the study because it was clearly doing harm (but by then, she was one of the pts who had been harmed)

however, they've since learned that those EATING more foods with beta carotene (and indeed, more whole unprocessed plant foods) not only get less cancer to begin with, they do better if they do get cancer.

Medicine seems to love to take one thing from food and try to turn it into some kind of money maker, when in fact, we've known for a very long time that eating a wide variety of whole foods is the best medicine. it's not something you can patent or stick in a bottle and sell, but it works.

hope this helps.

peng   
peng

Thanks very much for that, Happy2Heal.

Appreciate you passing on that personal story, re your mother.

I agree with your cynical view about the desire to bottle stuff already in widely available foodstuffs.  (But then, I am oldish and cynical already!)

Many Scotsmen of my generation grew up with an aversion to many fruits and vegetables.  Orange juice for babies in post-war Britain soured my stomach my mother told me, and we had no way of getting a taste for home grown vegs or fruit with no one in the family into that pursuit.

My English wife, born on a farm, does grow and buy a lot of stuff and I will eat things like liquidised spinach, berries, etc, because of how we are now strongly encouraged to do so.  Just like the anti-smoking campaign started years ago, we should all have the education.  What each individual does with it is another matter.

Best wishes.

peng   
peng

Yes, mammaP, you would need to be a lawyer to understand their advertising policy.  We in the UK have the flag coming up on that site that says "go to Boots MD?", IIRC.

Always will love rock 'n' roll, blues, etc, and many US films, folks, but any nation that has "hired guns" as "experts" in Court or sponsored to write scientific papers - I pass on that one.

Altostrata   
Altostrata

Our best advice is to take 400IU vitamin E per day to assist the fish oil.

Information on supplements is confusing at best. Positions change all the time. Fish oil itself is controversial, but we have found people frequently feel better taking it.

peng   
peng

Many thanks for your input, Alto.

I was looking for your's!

Respect your views, and I am certainly going along with the Omega 3 faith.

Will lapse with the vit E for a bit.  Too many pills and potions around me at the moment, anyway.

I am reading a lot about the brain-gut link just now.

I have had a problem from infancy with the gut part, followed by the brain part 32 years later.

Trying a new probiotic this week.  Developed for our "Healthspan" by Dupont.

To be fair, though, have not had much gastric problem since dropping Omeprazole last year and taking the supplements in my signature. Fingers-crossed. 

Warm regards.

scallywag   
scallywag

I responded in an introduction topic to a post about Canola oil as a source of Omega 3:

SADC: Canola oil has a significant % of Omega 6 fatty acids, which most of us in Western Europe and North America do not need to supplement.  The current research supports DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) and EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) as supportive for brain and neurological health. Those specific fatty acids are either very low in seed oils such as canola or not present at all. Here's an article about Dow's efforts to engineer DHA into canola oil.

Seed oils -- canola, flax, etc -- are very poor sources of omega 3 fatty acids.

apace41   
apace41

This is a link to an interesting podcast with a proponent of high dose fish oil for TBI.  Some very compelling data.  He has a book about it as well called "When Brains Collide."  Makes me consider upping my Omega 3 intake significantly.

http://ehlradio.com/the-benefits-of-omega-3s-for-athletes-helping-to-prevent-brain-injury-and-supporting-recovery-if-injured/

Best,

Andy

SkyBlue   
SkyBlue

Cool article, Andy. Thanks for sharing it.

nick1990   
nick1990

Well... Ive been doing some research. Im a Vegetarian / transitioning Vegan, i care immensely about other creatures and value their lives no less significantly that any of our own. I also care a great deal for the environment (As i think we all should, because without the good health of it, we will not be here.)

I have been taking fish oil supplements on and off for years - as i was led to believe that they are hugely beneficial for brain healing and the only way to supplement DHA is through fish. 

It has been a real dilemma for me, as I'm trying to weigh up my own healing VS the suffering of fish/the environment. 

Our oceans are dying. With a dying ocean comes a dying planet. I just wish people could grasp this... Anyway

The DHA and EPA stored in the tissues of cold water fish doesn't just get there on its own. It comes from Algae. 

Algae derived Omega-3 DHA supplements are now available everywhere and the cost has recently plummeted to rival that of fish oil. 

Studies have found there is NO drawback in supplementing with Algal DHA over Fish Oil DHA. In fact the health risks are lesser with the Algal option.

Vegans and Vegetarian cohorts have a similar Omega-3 index to Omnivorous cohorts in studies.  Supplementation of Algal Omega-3 in a four month trial increased the Omega-3 index in all 46 participants from 3.1% to 4.8%

|

|

|

v

Study here (http://www.nutraingredients-usa.com/Research/Vegans-respond-robustly-to-algal-derived-omega-3-fatty-acid-supplement).

And heres another (http://www.nutraingredients-usa.com/Research/Harvard-meta-analysis-supports-benefits-of-algal-DHA-omega-3)

Fish contain contaminates and heavy metals such as Mercury. 

By sourcing our Omega-3 from algae, you don’t have to worry about sustainability, toxicity, or heavy metals.

Happy2Heal   
Happy2Heal

thanks Nick for your post and for addressing the concerns that I, too, have about fish oil and the environment. I'm an ethical vegan and it's been very hard on me, mentally and spiritually, to be consuming animal products for health reasons.

Not to mention, the fish oil that is not contaminated with heavy metals is very expensive (there's now a brand of tuna that is tested for mercury, but it costs like 5 times as much as the un tested tuna) 

I am eating fish twice a week but I have no idea if it's providing any benefit whatsoever, and I fear that I'm getting more mercury than my body get rid of. It's hard because so many seemingly reliable sources tout the health benefits of fish oil but very few address the contamination issue and I've yet to see any that address the environmental impact.

Kind of incredible to me, that environmental concerns are an after thought- when we only have this ONE planet to live on, you'd think that taking care of it would be our TOP priority. The same as we take care of the only ONE body that we've been given.

I shake my head all the time about the complacence I see all around me, regarding such crucial issues. Just boggles my mind.

Edited by scallywag

nick1990   
nick1990

Happy2Heal, i understand everything your saying. Absolutely boggles the mind.. I have to almost live in my own little bubble otherwise i find all the chaos of this blissfully ignorant society too much to handle! Anyway, I'm glad that theres others who can see the truth in it all. Like you said we only have one EARTH and if we don't look after that, well nothing else really matters.. 

Anyway , back on topic - For me, I'm fortunate, as at times, if i wanted or felt the need to eat fish, i would do so by going diving/spearfishing off my beach at home. I could select exactly what fish i wanted and i would always be respectful of the process. 

Right now, I'm not eating fish. I don't want to and i don't think i need to either. I truly think this Algal Omega-3 is something for you to take into consideration. I will do further research regarding the topic, but as far as i can tell so far, there is no benefit in eating fish or taking fish derived omega-3 over the Algal form. At the end of the day, the Algae is the original source, so why not go straight to it.. Just my thoughts..

SkyBlue   
SkyBlue
On July 19, 2017 at 11:30 AM, apace41 said:

This is a link to an interesting podcast with a proponent of high dose fish oil for TBI.  Some very compelling data.  He has a book about it as well called "When Brains Collide."  Makes me consider upping my Omega 3 intake significantly.

http://ehlradio.com/the-benefits-of-omega-3s-for-athletes-helping-to-prevent-brain-injury-and-supporting-recovery-if-injured/

Best,

Andy

Earlier this week I purchased some of the Trader Joe's Omega3 gel caps yesterday, as recommended by Alto on page 1 of this thread. They are very reasonably priced-- around $10 where I am. I had grown weary of not seeing any benefits with the $30 brand (Nordic Naturals) I was using. 

The podcast (not "article" as I had written above :rolleyes:) is very informative. Long story short: take fish oil. :) He recommends up to 3,000 or even 4,000.  I agree with Andy's hypothesis that withdrawal is indeed a form of TBI (traumatic brain injury) and the content of this podcast is definitely relevant to us. 

I am taking 1,000 mg/day EPA and DHA for a few days, and going to work slowly up to 3,000. 

Miko789   
Miko789

I've been taking omega-3 fish oil  through out my taper and are helping a lot.

I purchase them from the UK and they are well priced. I get 180capsules for 12p.

broadmargin   
broadmargin

Fish oil is very activating for me at doses over 1mg at a time. 

B vitamins are also activating for me.

which is unfortunate.  I may try to gradually move up on fish oil over time as i'm stabilizing.  

LadyStardust   
LadyStardust

Altostrata and everyone-- thank you for posting on this site and trying to help others recover from withdrawal. I have largely been on my own during my recovery, and it has been a long and slow process. I just tried fish oil capsules + Vitamin E as of last night and this morning, and I can already tell my brain fog and buzzing has lifted! I already feel more like myself. This is incredible. Will post more updates as I go through recovery.

Edited by ChessieCat
reduced font and realigned

Dilenky   
Dilenky

Hello  ,

When is the right time to take Omega-3 ? In the morning or in the evening ? I had read conflicting views in the net ..

Thanks