King of supplements: Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

Altostrata

Thinking about this a bit more....

1) Magnesium gave me a blunt, flat, anhedonic "down" feeling.

2) The fish oil (Barleans, 2 caps) activated my negative, anxious, worried thoughts even in my *sleep*. More of a twilight sleep. When I did fall asleep, it was early morning so possibly when fish oil was wearing off..?

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

From left field....my sister's integrative doc says some people, especially people of far Northern European descent, don't tolerate fish oil/omega 3's. They need evening primrose oil for omega 6's.

Dr. Mensah says people with pyrrole disorder (occurs worldwide, but most frequently in people of Scandinavian or Irish descent) have several symptoms that include intolerance of omega 3 supplements and very poor dream recall. Also recommends evening primrose oil. Treatment for pyrrole disorder is primarily vitamin B6 and zinc. Okay, back to mainstream :).

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

• Administrator

Almost all of us have plenty of omega-6 fatty acids from the vegetable oil we eat.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Almost all of us have plenty of omega-6 fatty acids from the vegetable oil we eat.

I thought Omega 6 was pro-inflammatory and Omega 3 anti-inflammatory.

Thanks.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

I thought Omega 6 was pro-inflammatory and Omega 3 anti-inflammatory.

Thanks.

Yes, but they have to be balanced. I really don't understand the "why." A mom wrote in some random forum that there is an inability to convert a certain fatty acid to another. Which is definitely not a research citation. I guess I'm just saying that if someone is really intolerant of omega 3's, they could try some EPO, which might or might not be helpful...like all the things we try, heavy sigh. And I have pretty much banned vegetable oil from my kitchen.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

56 years old

I also have some heavy personal issues causing anxiety: putting house up for sale with no place to go, having to put my horses down, possible divorce

Barb, sounds like your life may be about to change. What I think is that in your case, when there are other things going on that consume your thinking, that taking a supplement and trying to evaluate its effects is a crapshoot. A

blunt, flat, anhedonic "down" feeling

could also be construed as a lessening of anxiety which magnesium is purported to help. But only you know for sure.

I have a kind of theory about using supplements: when you start with small amounts, I think you shouldn't feel anything different. (Alto has suggested elsewhere to start with 1/6 of the recommended dose). Then, if you don't feel anything too untoward, you can start increasing the dose gradually and see if beneficial effects occur. You might not see benefits except in hindsight, sort of how recovery from protracted wd happens. You just notice at some point that things are not nearly as bad as they used to be. So you have to keep taking the supplement long enough to see and in an amount that is close to therapeutic. That's how I started the magnesium.

Therapeutic doses of fish oil is hard to define, I think. I don't know where the reference is offhand for the recommendation of 3 grams of omega 3 for wd. I do know from experience about the magnesium supplement. I had horrible palpitations, aching in my tendon sheaths and anxiety which was greatly helped by taking it, especially before bed. But I was approaching 600 mg a day and I had this thought that kept running thru my head: my body felt like it had been dropped out of an airplane and hit the ground. It wasn't till Jemima mentioned that maybe women shouldn't take over 300 mg a day and when I backed off then my hurting body feelings stopped. It runs out of the body fairly quickly. Supposedly any excess you take is not harmful and is excreted by the kidneys but in my case, the extra was making me feel bad.

It is really too bad that there is not much to go on for those of us in wd. Anhedonia, apathy and demotivation is killing me right now. When I stopped the volunteer job my thoughts were primarily depressive and suicidal on top of the rest. I mentioned in another thread that my worst hours are from about noon to 4 or so and it is aggravated by sitting at home so much with nothing I want to do. I don't know if fish oil will cause me to feel less apathetic.

I hope things go well for you, Barb, whatever your plans are.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

While I already take fish oil, it's mentioned in another topic that one should take it with E for activation, and that it aids with morning awakenings. So, in summation, am I to take the oil and E at night instead of during the day? I ask because i take the fish oil mainly for depression caused by insomnia.

Current Meds:

Klonopin 1.9 mg (anxiety /insomnia) 10 years, began taper then stopped. Currently forced to drop to 1.5 mg.

Remeron 7.5 mg (insomnia, nausea, GI issues) stopped taper

Propylthiouracil 25 mg (for Graves')

Past Meds:

Lexapro 10 mg, CT 1.5 years ago without researching. Taken for 9 years.

Trazadone 300 mg (insomnia), lowered BP, suffered vasovagal syncope, a fall required surgery for dental trauma.

Propranolol, 10 mg, during hospitalization for hyperthyroidism, 3.5 weeks, then switched to Cartia for 3 weeks. Dr C/T both.

• Administrator

The beginning of this topic recommends taking fish oil with vitamin E. Since you have to take so much fish oil, often 6 capsules, you might take the fish oil with meals. I would take the vitamin E in the morning.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 2 months later...

I have researched Omega 3, and IMO the best on the market is Omegavia. They have the highest dose, and 95% pharmaceutical grade. They autoship for just under $28 per month, and free shipping. The second best is Norwegian Gold, which you can buy OTC or search online for deals. Prices vary. Omegavia is only obtainable from them direct.

Hope this is helpful.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

Started taking fish oil supps about 3 weeks ago. After first day I noticed significant improvement in mood and increased over 3 weeks to 5/6 a day. i also noticed feeling a little more hyper or 'wired'. Anyway...long story short...after increasing to 6 a day I suddenly crashed yday and depression seems to have kicked in again worse than ever? Now I am not sure whether to continue or to leave well alone.( omega 3 fish oil  by life and food 980mg...epa 647...dha 253)

would like some reassurance right now that taking these isn't going to mess my head up same way as anti-deps?

Hi David,

Unfortunately, no one on this board can provide that.  In reading your previous post, you might have increased the fish oil dosage too quickly.  I would cut back to what made you feel good and stay at that dose for at least two weeks and then reevaluate.  Of course, I am not a doctor but you sound very sensitive to things and may need to use extra caution.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

I have decided that for me, the ones with heavy DHA are best for me cognitively.   Because I don't see a difference price wise, I am sticking to the cheapest ones for for now are from NOW Products.

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

I question why you decided to increase the dose to over 6 grams a day? In many cases, more is not better, especially since some people in wd experience an 'activating' effect from omegas to begin with.

That brand does not list the amt of tocopherols (vit E used as a preservative) in each tab and who knows if that could be a factor too. I would not buy that brand just on that basis, incomplete listing.

What is the date of mfg. and are you keeping them refrigerated?

would still appreciate any thoughts on why the effects would completely reverse after increased dosage?

It would only be a wild guess anyway.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

• Administrator

As each capsule generally is a gram, 6 grams of fish oil daily can translate to an appropriate amount of DHA+EPA, about 3,000-4,000mg.

There might be other kinds of oil in the capsule filling it out to a gram.

would still appreciate any thoughts on why the effects would completely reverse after increased dosage? makes zero rational sense to me.

A lot of people find fish oil to have a soothing effect. It could be, david, that you reached a dose that's therapeutic for you.

• Administrator

Yes, you misunderstood. Please read this topic from the beginning.

My guess is David's crash has nothing to do with fish oil, he's experiencing a wave. But if he thinks the fish oil is responsible, he might stop it or reduce it and see what happens.

• 3 weeks later...

Yay! Good to hear of another omega-3 fan, serotonin.

See post #1 in this topic for some info about fish oil.

I don't believe you need to take 800IU vitamin E a day, 400IU is enough to help the fish oil to work. For a lot of vitamins, more is not better.

I found Trader Joe's has good-quality, strong fish oil (600mg EPA+DHA per capsule) for a very reasonable price. Get the red-label omega-3s.

Good fish oil has at least 600mg EPA+DHA per capsule and says it is "molecularly distilled" or purified to remove mercury and other contaminants on the label.

Do you know what "rancid" means? I've been talking to someone who's done extensive research on omega 3's in the last 2 years and she has learned that these go rancid even in our bodies and cause brain degeneration ( all oils except olive and coconut oils) as well as salmon containing high "PUFA". Apparently articles have been written by Ray Peat, Hans Seyle, Danny Roddy. Have you heard about any of this? I am wondering what your view would be on this ??! Does molecularly distiller remove PUFA ( polyunsaturated fatty acid) ?

I don't know too much about any of this and it's hard to make a well informed decision ( especially after this ssri WD ordeal) when you just aren't sure who or what to believe. Am hoping you can shed some light, or anyone else who is also educated on omega 3's.

13 years of Ssri's - celexa, Paxil, Prozac, Zoloft

2 fast tapers and 2 cold turkeys over the years

Psych med free since September 4th 2011 - fast tapered then CT'd 12.5 mg of Zoloft

“Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.”

― Mahatma Gandhi

I have researched Omega 3, and IMO the best on the market is Omegavia. They have the highest dose, and 95% pharmaceutical grade. They autoship for just under $28 per month, and free shipping. The second best is Norwegian Gold, which you can buy OTC or search online for deals. Prices vary. Omegavia is only obtainable from them direct.

Hope this is helpful.

I am repeating my post here. Omegavia is THE best and cheapest on the market. I have no connection with them. I take it everyday. Check out their site.

• Administrator

Do you know what "rancid" means? I've been talking to someone who's done extensive research on omega 3's in the last 2 years and she has learned that these go rancid even in our bodies and cause brain degeneration ( all oils except olive and coconut oils) as well as salmon containing high "PUFA". Apparently articles have been written by Ray Peat, Hans Seyle, Danny Roddy. Have you heard about any of this? I am wondering what your view would be on this ??! Does molecularly distiller remove PUFA ( polyunsaturated fatty acid) ?

I don't know too much about any of this and it's hard to make a well informed decision ( especially after this ssri WD ordeal) when you just aren't sure who or what to believe. Am hoping you can shed some light, or anyone else who is also educated on omega 3's.

Yes, I am aware of what "rancid" means, and of the criticism of fish oil swimming around in alternative medicine.

From my personal experience, fish oil has done nothing but good. I have never had a bad reaction to it, never even had fish burps. It has raised my omega-3 to healthy levels indicated by blood tests.

Like conventional medicine, alternative medicine is 50% garbage. Our challenge is to tell what makes sense in either area.

Yes, I am aware of what "rancid" means, and of the criticism of fish oil swimming around in alternative medicine.

From my personal experience, fish oil has done nothing but good. I have never had a bad reaction to it, never even had fish burps. It has raised my omega-3 to healthy levels indicated by blood tests.

Like conventional medicine, alternative medicine is 50% garbage. Our challenge is to tell what makes sense in either area.

Thanks for your insight about this. I agree that a lot of alternative medicine is also garbage. I didn't realize there was a criticism of fish oil in the holistic world as my Naturopath ( she's great) has always told me that should anyone have to take anything, it should always be an omega3 supplement. She has been trying to get me to take them again although she prefers not to solicite vitamins and thinks food is the best way to get all our nutrients. I've been afraid to take omegas, especially after hearing they actually cause the brain to degenerate because my main symptoms left are all brain symptoms and I already feel like I have major brain degeneration going on.

Do you know ( or anyone else) if there are certain types that would go rancid? I imagine that if I get a good quality from a health food store if be safer. My naturopath is on mat leave now so i can't ask her.

13 years of Ssri's - celexa, Paxil, Prozac, Zoloft

2 fast tapers and 2 cold turkeys over the years

Psych med free since September 4th 2011 - fast tapered then CT'd 12.5 mg of Zoloft

“Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.”

― Mahatma Gandhi

• Administrator

Purchase a reputable brand from a store with high turnover and good storage methods. In my opinion, Trader Joe's is fine. Some people like Kirkland from Costco.

• 2 weeks later...

Check higher up this page for my recommendation to Omegavia fish oil. Google their site. I researched till I was dizzy and this is the highest content, and 95% pharmaceutically pure on the market. They will auto ship. At 2 per day, with breakfast, it is just under $28 per month. If you want to add without increasing the auto ship. Buy a bottle of their Triple Strength fish oil, and add one or two with food later in the day. The owner Vin Kutty is very helpful and responds to email. He also has Q and A on the site. I have no connection with the company.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, Fish oil and Omega 3's never helped me. In fact, they made W/D much worse.

trintellix 1 mg and rexulti .5mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Whoa, I don't think I ever got to the end of this thread, even though I recommend people to come here all the time.

Great information here.

What do I have to add?  

Personal experience:  I ripped ligament in my knee in 1998, it's permanently damaged but not ready for surgery.  I've been taking fish oil (and glucosamine) since then.  Probably 1000 iu gel cap a day.  Probably "whatever's on special" (I didn't know what to check for).  I didn't notice any change in the pain unless I miss a dose, so I know it's good for me - even if it's not "the best" fish oil.

Later in 1998, I accepted the "bipolar diagnosis" and the first thing I did was double my fish oil to 2000 iu gel cap a day.  (I also accepted "meds for life" at that time.   :wacko:  I believe that it was the fish oil that enabled me to minimize my use of psych meds (I was on wellbutrin at the time, but shortly after getting fish oil, switched to lower dose effexor 37.5 mg + mirtazapine 7.5 mg at night.  I had no withdrawal from the wellbutrin, it was a CT switch.)

I've always had borderline high cholesterol, so when it came back through the roof (on a chart, sent to the docs by Pharma), I went to 4000 iu fish oil and 2000 iu krill oil daily, and was on that when I came to SA.  I can't prove it, but I think that has made my withdrawals relatively smooth, especially for someone who was on and off drugs in the late 80's & early 90's like bouncing on a trampoline.

I used whatever brand of fish oil came to hand easily and cheaply, switching brands whenever I got something else - no apparent reactions in switching brands for me.

Then came the pyroluria thing.  I was diagnosed as "pyroluric."  It's huge here, downunder, and even came up as a question in Peter Gotzscke's talk here in Brisbane.  He had no clue what it was.  Additionally, when I discussed it with my doctor friend, she had not heard of it either, but she seems to associate it with methylation.  Anyhow:

MeiMei wrote in June:

This is a long shot, but I have read that people with pyrrole disorder are often intolerant of omega-3's due to omega-6 deficiency. This disorder is new to me, but I think it is becoming another "pet" of alternative medicine (I say that in a neutral way...don't know how significant or even real it is). 

and again in September:

From left field....my sister's integrative doc says some people, especially people of far Northern European descent, don't tolerate fish oil/omega 3's. They need evening primrose oil for omega 6's. 

Dr. Mensah says people with pyrrole disorder (occurs worldwide, but most frequently in people of Scandinavian or Irish descent) have several symptoms that include intolerance of omega 3 supplements and very poor dream recall. Also recommends evening primrose oil. Treatment for pyrrole disorder is primarily vitamin B6 and zinc. Okay, back to mainstream 

Yah, that's what I got too.  But I had been on fish oil for so long, I didn't want to shock the system.  I started EPO (Evening Primrose Oil) right away because it provides GLA - a totally different animal, apparently it helps the hormone cascade more.  I did not taper the krill oil, and continue to take it.  As I was reducing the fish oil, I brought in Flax Seed Oil for ALA.  For a period of 2 months, I had no fish oil (other than the krill) in my regime.  I was on 6000 iu Flax Seed Oil (again, brand depended on what came to hand), 2000 iu EPO, 2000 iu Krill oil, and I added 3 tbsp hemp SEED oil (this is different from hemp oil).  I will post more about that in a bit - all I can say is that the Omega 3 to 6 ratio was what was recommended for pyrolurics, and it was easy to take (tasty) and felt very wholesome.

But I felt spiky, and irritable, and I think I'm going to taper out the flax seed, and go back to the fish.  I have no evidence that I, as a "pyroluric" was resistant or harmed by the Omega 3.  So my ideal regime, when I turn this ship around (slowly, slowly I make the changes) will be:

Daily:  (split throughout the day)

3 tbsp hemp seed oil

2000 iu EPO

2000 iu krill

4000 iu fish oil

My cholesterol has gone down, and I am no longer taking statins.  I'm still not in the"too high" range on the chart the pharmaceutical companies recommend for drugging, but I ain't never going there again unless my life depends on it.  (that's the thing with statins, they're programmed to scare you and make you think you will die, or improve your chances of living, if you take the stuff!)

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• Moderator Emeritus

Notes on Hemp seed oil:  This is not psychoactive (or it wouldn't be legal in Australia - as it is, it's labeled "not for human consumption" but is sold at health food stores.  I buy in bulk on the web.  Australia and NZ are the only places in the world with this added regulation.  It is also good for use in homemade cosmetics.)

This is from the site where I buy it.  I have tried Canadian and American hemp seed oils.  The American (VitaCost) was heat treated and rancid.  Blech and probably bad for me.  The Canadian hemp oil from iHerb was better, and far cheaper than the Australian.  But the Australian was of the highest quality - like a fine wine or designer olive oil.  Light, nutty, fruity, it's delicious and natural and I love to take it.

The site where I buy it guarantees the quality of it, and has a lot of information about it.  Here is information from their site:

http://www.hempfoods.com.au/omega3/ page moved, new link- https://www.hempfoods.com.au/omega-3

2. Is There An Ideal Ratio Of Omega 3 To Omega 6? If you have been researching Omega 3 (Alpha Linolenic Acid or LNA) and Omega 6 (Linoleic Acid or LA) you may have heard that the World Health Organisation recommends a ratio of LNA to LA of 1:4 or more simply put that the ratio of LA / LNA is 4 – both of which suggest that you should eat 4 times as much Omega 6 as Omega 3. If you actually read the World Health Organisation report, that is not what it says. It states “there is no compelling scientific rationale for the recommendation of a specific ratio of Omega 6 to Omega 3” It goes on to recommend that intakes should fall within a certain range to be optimal for human health. What is this range? Their recommendations are that 0.5 – 2% of your calories should come from Omega 3 with intakes closer to 2% corresponding to a ‘healthy diet’. They recommend 3 – 9% of your calories should come from Omega 6 with intakes in the mid to higher part of that range corresponding to a ‘healthy diet’. This gives a range of LA/LNA from about 3 to 5.   As you can see, Hemp Seeds and Walnuts are the only known food sources that on their own provide Omega 3 and 6 within the recommended range.

Read more:
http://www.hempfoods.com.au/omega3/2/ new Home link:  https://www.hempfoods.com.au/omega-3

and

For a long term healthy diet, Hemp Seeds and Oil are superior to other sources of Omegas. Hemp Seeds: Contain more Omega 3 and 6 than other sources. Provide GLA (Gamma Linolenic Acid) which isn’t found in Fish, Flax, Soy, Chia or Sacha Inchi. Are more sustainable and obtainable than other sources. Are easier to eat – taste good and don’t require soaking, roasting or crushing to be usable. Easily satisfy dietary Omega oil needs without risk of causing deficiency. For the average adult consuming 3000 calories per day they would satisfy the recommended daily Omega Oil intake with 2.5 tablespoons of Hemp Oil or 4.5 tablespoons of Hemp Seeds. Provide higher quality and quantity of protein than any other food source. Provide the B Vitamins, Minerals and Amino Acids necessary for utilisation of Omega oils. Are naturally rich in Gamma Tocopherol, the most potent form of Vitamin E and the preservative of choice for Omega Oils.

Read more:
http://www.hempfoods.com.au/omega3/4/ their new Home link:  https://www.hempfoods.com.au/omega-3

and finally, a description of what is in hemp seeds (and oil)

Hemp Seeds Contain The highest amount of PUFAs (Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids) like Omega 3 and 6 – level with Walnuts for the #1 position at around 47g of PUFAs in every 100g of seeds. The highest quality and quantity of Protein. Hemp protein is gluten-free with a complete Amino Acid profile and Hemp is the only plant to make protein from Edestin making it more digestible than other forms of protein like Soy. And unlike Soy doesn’t cause allergies or contain estrogen compounds. Every 100g of Hemp Seeds contain approximately 33g of this high quality protein. GLA (Gamma Linolenic Acid) – one of only five known sources (Borage seed, Evening Primrose seed, Black Currant seed, Carrot seed, Wheatgerm) of this ‘wonder’ oil believed to be important for preventing inflammation. 15 times as much fat-fighting CLA (Conjugated Linoleic Acid) as fish oil. Practically no Carbohydrates with less than half a gram of sugar per 20g serving. Gut-cleansing Fibre. Cholesterol-fighting Phytosterols – 1480mg per 20g serving. Minerals including Calcium, Magnesium, Iron and Zinc. Vitamin E plus other Antioxidants. B Vitamins including Folate. Vitamin D3 – the only known plant food source of this bone-building “sunshine” vitamin.

Read more:
http://www.hempfoods.com.au/hemp-nutrition/ their new Home link: https://www.hempfoods.com.au/omega-3

I agree that some of the stuff presented on this page is geared towards vegetarians who are convinced that this is a superior path - but it does offer an alternative to some people who react to Fish Oil, and supposedly, it helps treat pyroluria (if indeed that is a thing).

Edited by manymoretodays
updated links, mmt

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

• Moderator Emeritus

Then, finally, our local science show, Catalyst, did a special last year featuring Fish Oil and prison inmates.

http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/4056553.htm

Catalyst is the Aussie version of "Nova" and gives good, solid cutting edge science in a magazine format for public consumption.

This episode was about prisoners.  There are a lot of problems with fighting in prisons.  So they did a trial.  Half the participants got fish oil (it says the dose on the page and in the video), and half the participants got something that looked like fish oil, but had no EPA/DHA in it.

The participants who were on the fish oil were less aggro, and got into fewer fights.  In fact most of them didn't fight at all.  They said that it helped them stay cool and calm under stress, and that they weren't as likely to give in to impulses, weren't as likely to have them.

If it can do that for the incarcerated, surely it is, at least helpful, and at worst, not harmful to try (unless you react).

• Administrator

Virtually no one on a modern diet needs to supplement with omega-6 fatty acids. We get more than enough of these in the vegetable oils in which our foods are prepared.

Pyroluria is a theoretical condition originally defined by orthomolecular medicine. There is no real-world evidence it exists.

Most people do well with fish oil and some do not. I don't believe anyone knows the reason for this. Ultimately, if you find it doesn't agree with you, stop taking it or reduce your dosage.

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, my orthomolecular MD came up with this.  I'm not sure I believe this, but it gives me something to look at.  I can't bend my brain around the Omega-6 thing, either.  (if pyroluria affect Nordic populations, and they can't process Omega-3, then how did Scandanavians survive the high seas?  When I asked her about Flax seed vs. Hemp seed, she preferred the hemp seed, and told me to quit all other oils.  The hemp does not degenerate and oxidize as rapidly as the flax, and, in fact contains helpful antioxidants.  So I did as she said and reduced the fish oil.

I didn't like it.  I was more irritable, my sleep is even more delayed than usual.  Just "spiky" is the best word for it.

But you will note from my ideal- my future plan - that I'm going back on the fish oil, regardless of what she says.  I'm retaining the EPO for other properties.  Same with the hemp seed oil.  I've recently re-started 2000 iu fish oil daily, in addition to the same amount of krill.

Withdrawal?  Maybe not (in my case).  Mood management? - Fish oil: The King of Supplements.

• 3 weeks later...

I love the idea of taking omega 3, I do believe they are the building blocks of your nervous system.

I take 1 tablet of 300epa and 200dha per day, if I take any more than that I get tension headaches, and heart palpitations and a couple of other minor things.

My question is, is this a good thing? Does having symptoms like this mean they are helping to heal me or am I reacting to them? I look at withdrawal symptoms as symptoms of recovery, so if the omega 3 is exacerbating my symptoms does that mean they will go away quicker?

Personal experience would be very helpful, thank you.

Took 6 - 10mg a day of xanax (and have been on every single ssri) for 5 years at age 17 (now 35)

Rapid taper, major withdrawal, recovered after 4 years.

Great life/career, had breakdown 10 months ago (which felt like acute withdrawal)

Took Citalopram for 6 weeks, hated it, tapered, left with emotional numbness.

STILL LOVE LIFE.

Hi Adiip

I have had a bad reaction to omega 3. I take one a day, but to be honest don't seem to notice an effect.

I've noticed over the year 2 years of cutting down (20 -> 2 mg lexapro) that symptoms are rarely good and healing without side effects is preferable to with side effects.

My last side effect (a 2 week Paxil) fever I could have avoided by not jumping down as fast.

I don't think I gained anything from the experience.

Cheers

Damien

Off all SSRIs as at November 2016.

Been on SSRIs (mainly Lexapro) for around 15 years.

failed attempts to go cold turkey before I got proper info on it.

Over last 2 years I've slowly gone from 20 mg Lexapro to 2.5 mg Lexapro.

on 25th Jan 2015 I've now moved to home made liquid Lexapro.

Plan is to drop roughly 0.2 mg per month over the next 1-2 years.  

25th Jan 2015 2.5 mg Lexapro liquid.

24th Mar 2016 1.0 mg lexapro (crushed tablet mixed and refilled into capsules)

Planned to be at 0.0 mg lexapro by about October 2016. 

I also take 50-100 mg modafinil per day, no short term plans of stopping/tapering modafinil but will re-evaluate after I'm off lexapro. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Just found out that in Australia and Japan, the ethyl ester form of "fish oil" is by prescription only.

All over the counter supplements are natural triglycerides (TAG).

A little harder to get a profile on heavy metals and toxins.  When they say "mercury tested" does that mean they didn't find mercury?  Or just that they tested for it?  I suspect every little phrase on the supplement bottle.

Even "mercury free" doesn't tell me about lead, radioactivity, or PCBs.....

Fortunately, we have Costco now.  That will make the fish oil easier.

• Moderator Emeritus

Jan, what is the advantage of the 'ethyl ester' form of fish oil?

Started in 2000 - On 150mg most of the time, (but up to 225mg at highest dose for 6 months in the beginning)
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Back on effexor for another 9 months.
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - suddenly got depressed and anxious ++ again 3 or 4 months later.
Back on effexor - this time for 3 years
Reduced off over a month - 6 weeks later terrible anxiety - back on.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times - each time the period before the anxiety comes back got shorter and shorter
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg - crashed big time: back to 75mg where i sat for 2 years....

4th  March 2015 - 67.5mg;   31st March - 60mg;  24th April - 53mg; 13th May - 48mg; 26th May - 45mg;  9th June - 41mg; 1 July- 37.5mg; 20 July - 34mg; 11 August - 31mg; 1st Sept - 28mg;  1st Dec - 25.8mg;  28th Dec - 23.2mg; 23rd Jan-21.9mg; Feb 7th- 21mg; March 1st - 20.1mg, March 30th - 18mg

• Administrator

The ethyl ester form is more highly concentrated.

• Moderator Emeritus

Peggy, the flip side of that, is that the ethyl ester is not as absorbable as Natural Triglycerides.  

I'm actually relieved, about the Australia thing, because there's ethyl ester, then there's cheap "marine biodiesel," fish oil that contains so little of the helpful oils, and so much "heavy oils" that they burn (don't try this at home, .  That's my simplified lay version of it, anyway.  Where ethyl ester is sold, you need to be extra careful about purity, concentration and quality, while with the natural triglyceride, you need only be concerned about purity, and, if you don't want to take a bunch, concentration.

Costco /Kirkland is a good balance, from all I have read.   See:  http://omega-3snakeoil.com/

(Caviar is a perfect Omega3, let's dine, shall we?)

I thought this blog post was interesting about how an enzyme deficiency can be an issue in fish oil utilization. You will have to overlook a. It because the blog is on pcos. http://pcosdiva.com/2010/03/fishin-for-a-remedy-for-pcos/

56 years old

• Administrator

I've been taking ethyl esters of various kinds for years, with no problems. My omega-3 blood levels are healthy. So it must be getting into my system somehow.

Hi all. I have read this thread with interest as I am totally new to fish oil and am looking for something to support my Seroxat withdrawal. I am in the UK and there are a few companies who sell 'EPA only' products which are meant to be the best type of omega 3 fish oils for supporting mood and brain health. Has anyone tried EPA only or high EPA products? One of the companies I have looked at is called Mind 1st and they say a lot of their customers use their fish oils successfully alongside antidepressant medications. I know a lot of the discussion on here has been around taking supplements with both EPA and DHA but in terms of withdrawal/ supporting the nervous system does anyone know which works better and why? I am fortunate to work with a great psychiatrist who tells me fish oils may not help withdrawal symptoms but there is little harm in trying. I figure I could try EPA only for a few months and see how I get on.

2002 started 20mg Seroxat for anxiety. Attempted 1st withdrawal in Autumn of 2006. Went to 0 in around a month-hell. Massive crash. Reinstated.

May 2013 started 10% taper with liquid seroxat as follows:

May 2013- 18mg                Aug 2015- 7.7mg           Jan 2017- 3.2mg

July 2013- 16.2mg             Oct 2015 -7mg               (This is where it gets a bit hazy..

Aug 2013- 14.6mg             Nov 2015- 6.4mg            I continued to do a slow wean but

Oct 2013- 13.2mg              Jan 2016- 5.6mg            didn't keep records of all my further

Jan 2014- 11.8mg              Mar 2016- 5.2mg           reductions, have filled in what I remember)

March 2014-10.6mg          May 2016- 4.6mg          Aug 2018- 0.8mg

May 2014- 9.6mg               July 2016- 4.2mg          June 2019- 0mg

Dec 2014-8.6mg                 Nov 2016- 3.6mg         

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy