• Announcements

Altostrata

How were you referred to this site?

68 posts in this topic

I'm curious about how the rest of the world views SurvivingAntidepressants.org.

When people register, they sometimes say they were referred to this site by a therapist, doctor, nurse, or friend.

Did this happen to you? How were you referred to this site, and what did your referrer say about it?

hello Alto, I found this site on another site that referenced this. It was the ex pharma pusher lady turned whistle blower? And because stopped in 2012 which I am so grateful (that while I was going through thee worst health crisis ever, because stopping the meds) you suggested I read and taper. THANK YOU! I did and now I am at 6 months off. My world has been a bit rocky as I have had to make external changes to mitigate the internal. So I moved from isolation to a nearby city with warmer temperature. I am adding more exercise as my anxiety has increased and it helps alot. I have a yoga relaxation class twice a week and I do breathing and yoga everyday when I awake and when I am about to retire for the night. You can tell by my spotty contact with this site, that I am managing but it is like I am in a little raft in a huge ocean just biding my time till I see land in sight.

I am so grateful to you and yes pay paled ya as well. Much love to ya occupyingmyhealthcare.

I found this site when I was without sleep for days at a time in the beginning of my cold turkey off meds. I believe I had googled "withdrawal symptoms". I found a story by someone named "Whatever" and it has been a life line to me ever since. The reason I prefer this site over others I've found is because it is geared to just that: Surviving Antidepressants. Many other sites focus on those who are ON meds dealing with depression so I tend to feel like the odd (wo)man out. Thank you for all of your hard work and this site!

I found this site thanks to a link on another site. I don't think that where I live doctors even know that Internet exists, let alone prolonged withdrawal syndrome...

I think I entered something like "Lexapro withdrawal symptoms" in Google and found this forum either first or among the first listed. When I checked it out, I knew it was the right place.

Twitter and Facebook.. I don't remember which was first. At first I was interested mostly out of curiosity.. ADs have never been a problem as I can't take them :blink:, but then I did not know where to go for help getting off Lyrica.. and there/here you were!

Hello,

This is my first post on this site. It feels good here. I have never taken ADs, but I have taken other psychoactive meds, most importantly long term Ativan (lorazepam) "therapy". 9 years at mostly 6 mg/day in a single dose guaranteed to produce interdose withdrawal (w/d) symptoms. I didn't know what they were, but I did know that I was going crazy. Last summer I finally realized that my symptoms (sx) matched benzo w/d and the worsening PM sx were caused by low bd levels and disappeared as soon as I took my dose...which then led to other acute problems.

Anyway, I bit the bullet and (with the help of Benzo Buddies) started changing my doses gradually until I was taking 2 mg 3X day by November. That change alone had major + effects on my cognitive, mood, and physical sx. I did a lot of research about bd w/d, tapering, GABA receptor down regulation, etc., and started a taper once I was stable on my meds. Milk didn't work so well for me, so I'm using a wet/dry taper based on Ativan's solubility in ethyl alcohol. My doc had promised to Rx liquid A but reneged on her word, so I make the solution myself. I have a degree in science and 20+ years in labs. I'm cutting at 0.017 mg/day (0.3% of starting dose), dealing with the > sx with periodic holds, and hoping to stay at this cut rate if I can. Anybody here with benzo experience?

I found this site because someone I respect very much at BB said "you oughtta check out Surviving Antidepessants, there's a person on that site named AltoStratus who really knows their stuff and is humble and compassionate...they could probably give you some good taper advice". Yup, that's what she said. Except she used gender-specific pronouns. :D

Jerome

Hi, Jerome.

Thanks for that kind note.

This site is primarily about withdrawal from non-benzo psychiatric drugs. I don't claim benzo tapering expertise, but we have some members here who are tapering benzos and can share info with you. See this forum.

Hello, Altostrata:

I'll spell your name correctly from now on. You are not a cloud bank...I've subscribed to the benzo thread and will create a sig line and take care of other 'start up' business ASASP--as soon as sympoms permit. :P I'm barely arrived and already I like this place.

Thank you very much. I'll try to put in as much as I take out.

Jerome

I am not a cloud bank, but my pseudonym is derived from one.

I was referred here from the FB group for withdrawal. I was on Prozac for approximately 5 years then switched to Paxil. I took Paxil for about 4 years at 20 mg daily, then upped to 40 mg. Then my world blew up completely. It had been slowly eroding since about 3 months on the Paxil.

Hello Altostrata,

I found this site by googling withdrawal symptoms and found a thread from a member and have been hooked since. I have also shared this site with a few friends, my therapist, and my psychiatrist. I'm just trying to get people to understand that this isn't all in our heads. I don't think I could've made it this far without the help and support I found here! Thank you for creating this place for us Altostrata!!

I was referred by a friend from a mental health forum, who advised me to look up some information about withdrawl syndromes and how they affect the nervous system. He referred to the site as knowledgeable and able to acknowledge the difficulties I had experienced. He suggested it for validation, support and like minds. He was right!

x

The Mad in America site. I check there regularly for their news and blog updates.

I found a link to someone's FB page, someone by the powerful sounding name of Altostrata. I sent a message to Alto and she referred me to this site and I've been here ever since!

I googled efexor withdrawal and a topix forum came up.

They sent me here to find out reasons to slow taper.

I'm glad they sent me here.

I googled AD withdrawal and found an article in Psychology Today that referenced this site and the tremendous work Altostrata has done to support those trying to handle withdrawal and in getting the medical profession to recognize w/d as a real issue and not something that is "in the heads" of those suffering with it.

Much respect and admiration for everything Alto has done.

I had just placed an online order for for some possibly questionable supplements to 'cure' depression. Was g00gling something about my decision and it was mentioned on this site. I started scarfing up all the information I could and I'm still here, it's my support lifeline for dealing with the bewildering world of antidepressant withdrawal and learning to life a life without antidepressants. My sig explains what happened to me.

(gosh, alto has a fb page???)

I found this site while searching for ways to withdraw from Pristiq specifically.  There is a lot of good information here for me - I'm not alone!  The best site I have found on this subject.  Thank you everyone for your comments.

Same as others. I typed Lexapro withdrawal but added 2013 and found this site. I saw many that were older but this seems the most relevant and up to date. I read one post and said-BINGO, I found exactly what I was looking for.

I was on the "effexor withdrawal topix" site a person there named Damaged told me about this site. 

An interesting path led me here...I had a colon cleanse, and on their website they listed Dr. Breggin's book which opened my eyes. I didn't realize there was information on how to taper! So through some internet surfing, I just recently discovered this site and was so excited to find such great info about tapering! Because I did it blindly with Klonopin and Wellbutrin, and too fast, and couldn't manage getting off the doxepin. My psychiatrist has been of no help, but I see there is a ton of great resources and support here and I'm so glad I won't have to do this all on my own like I've done before.

I was referred to this site by a person in a facebook group, with whom I had been talking privately about some health issues.

I googled and found the site.

A support group for Effexor Withdrawal on Facebook recommended your site. And I'm really happy I found you!

I've been here awhile, and since I've been here I've since found AltoStrata in other areas of the web where I search and research, staunchly defending the reality of the pain that drug and post-drug sufferers go through, and questioning the powers that may be about use of these and other destructive drugs and methods, including involuntary commitment, court ordered drugs, etc.

But the first time I found AltoStrata was on a thread in MIA (Mad In America).  Before I knew the "who's who" of MIA, I was reading the comments to a thread - usually more interesting than the thread itself.  

And Alto had made some strong comments about the damage of the drugs, and linked to SA to show HOW MANY CASE STUDIES are here regarding damage to people because of these drugs.  I jumped the link, and here I am!  And I'm certainly glad I did, even though my withdrawal is less about antidepressants, I've found warm, smart, wise, compassionate support here.

Thanks, JanCarol, for those kind and encouraging words.

As I tapered from Lexapro (http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6272-realitycheck-i-thought-coming-off-a-low-dose-of-lexapro-would-be-no-big-deal/?p=86771) and began to feel sick, and then finished the taper and started to feel both sick AND insane, I started to do some research on the Web.  The best I found was a book on Amazon called The Antidepressant Solution: A Step-by-Step Guide to Safely Overcoming Antidepressant Withdrawal, Dependence, and "Addiction" by Joseph Glenmullen, a Harvard psychiatrist.  It's not new, written in 2005 and mostly talks about Paxil, but it was still pretty helpful, lays out a taper plan (too late, I hadn't followed it) and he busts open the duplicitous world of Big Pharma in a way I found satisfying (but scary.)

I was determined to stay OFF As my symptoms persisted and worsened for over two weeks, my search for answers got more focused.  There are a lot of snake-oil salesmen out there selling supplements they say will help with the taper, but I knew that wasn't the answer.  I even thought about emailing everyone I knew and asking if they knew anyone who had gotten off meds and seeing if they would start an email correspondence with me.  One day I was searching for "SSRI discontinuation" or "antidepressant withdrawal" or whatever, for the hundredth time, and this time the site came up in the search.  I knew as soon as I got here that this is what I had been looking for.  Yes, I wish I'd found it before I started tapering, but I probably wouldn't have followed the 10% per month advice because I knew that I was different and I could get off faster than that.  I thought that a month was really slow.  My primary doctor said that anything under 10 mg wouldn't cause a problem to discontinue.  So really, a month seemed like a very long, safe taper.  But when the problems started, that's when the pain was great enough to search for answers.  I am very, very happy to have found this community.  I feel like this is going to get me to the next level of recovery.  Thank you for providing this service.

I'm new here but I hope people will share their story with me if their lives have changed because of a drug called Pristiq. I have my story, but I desperately need to share it with someone else who is now or has experienced the nightmare that Pristiq has left behind.

I still trust my doctor but not this time. I refuse to listen to anyone who has been giving me pills to fix my problems even though I know she meant well. I still take Wellbutrin, Prozac, and Nuvigil. But I cannot accept the risk right now of stopping them until I learn more about what they are doing to me now and what will happen to me when I have had enough with ingesting these poisons. My Doctor means well, and I believe that, but she cannot help me because she doesn't know what I am going through now. People may think I am naive for not getting angry at my doctor for this, but I honestly don't care. I need your help not your opinions. The things everyone has been saying about what I had ignored for many years has become reality for me, I am terrified of the future and fear losing everything that matters the most to me because I longer the person I was, but instead something people no longer recognize. I won't hijack this thread with a bunch of politics, that is for another place and time. I will say this however. Something is wrong. And it goes way beyond anything my doctor has control of or even aware of.

But you asked how I found this place? I Google searched something about Pristiq withdrawl and decided to take a chance. I hope I will feel safe here. Thank you and God bless everyone.

I found out about this site from someone recommending it to me in a post in a secret facebook page for people trying to taper off of their benzos, anti depressants and various psych and meds for other health conditions ie epilepsy, bad back etc.

I found this site that I had been on was far too religious for my liking as I am either an Agnostic or an Athiest, plus I heard other people from similar site complaining that the Christian site was too dangerous in their methods for tapering meds.

I think I also found out about surviving antidepressants .org from a facebook page called 'Cymbalta Hurts Worse' which was a support page for people tapering off the anti-depressant called Cymbalta. I currently tend to bounce back and forth between Cymbalta Hurts Worse fb page and this site because I find them to be more precise and more specific to tapering of anti-depressants.

I did a google search on how to come off zyprexa,

I would like to thank Altostrata and the admins for all their hard work and support ,this is a great resource and community

I've been trying to spread the word about the SSRI-love connection and stumbled upon a thread about it here in the forum. The thread about marriages I think.

OT: I think this effect is probably one of the most underrecognized and yet tragic effect of SSRIs. Akathisia would be my next choice. The good news is that the emotional numbing effect is becoming more well-known. Maybe people will start to put 2 and 2 together?

I found the site while was searching on google for the truth about the antidepressants side effects and withdrawal!

Thanks for giving us a hope!!

I found it on my own through a web search.  I was googling phrases like "TCA discontinuation syndrome" and "antidepressant withdrawal" after a pharmacist at an ER diagnosed me.

I'm especially grateful, since I was unable to join the Point of Return web community because I decided not to do their supplement program, due to fear of putting anything in my body.  I ordered the supplements, but ultimately decided not to take them.  Since their program is supplement-based, I was unable to participate in the rest of the program, which is understandable.  I was so relieved to find another online community here, though!

Thanks, WI. I got here the same way except mine was TRB Health.