Narcissus

Stabilizing after a reduction -- what does that mean?

ikam   
ikam

Bump.  Stability.  

My big lesson for today is that a hold is harder work than a taper.

We get impatient and want to take it down and down, or a pdoc pressures us into discontinuing since we're not at "therapeutic levels" anyway.

But to hold.  And hold.  And hold.  and wait until you're not suffering before you do a cut - and plan that cut weeks in advance.  And talk it over here, in SA, and with your support team if you have it.  If you hear enough people say, "I think you're doing really well," then a plan your next taper. 

Most of you are young, a year or two added to your taper is nothing - especially since you start to feel immeasurably better once you get down to 50% of "therapeutic dose."  Your head starts to clear, you start to take interest in things, you may care more about people, or even feel creative again.  And that's the payoff for the head zaps, blinding flashes, gut trouble, sinus difficulty, restlessness - that you had to go through to get there.

Holding is the key, for me.  It makes me feel like I am in control of the process.  If my life is disrupted, then it's time to hold.  If I'm having health issues or symptoms, then it's time to hold.  Holds are my friend, and I can feel the healing taking place during them.

But there is a possibility of permanent damage.  And maybe holding forever just increases the side effects you are suffering.  It's really difficult, in withdrawal, to separate drug side effects from w/d.  In that case, trying a taper is probably warranted, if the hold doesn't seem to be improving things.  You can always reinstate if it goes amiss.  And by tapers and reinstate, I'm talking the smallest possible amount.  5% maybe.  What I think of as a "test taper" to see if it's okay.

I agree, it is difficult to separate drug side effects from WD. Moreover, I am finding it difficult to separate this from my personality traits...as far as I remember I always suffered...Also, it is difficult to judge when there are ongoing life related problems...

I have been oversensitive all my life...

The only new symptom for me at present is paresthesia...

Narcissus   
Narcissus

Thank you for the wise words, JanCarol, and for bumping a helpful thread.

After two years now of staying at  75 mgs of Effexor I feel like I'm finally approaching true stability, and boy it feels good.  This leads me to believe that I was experiencing mostly withdrawal symptoms and not side effects from the Effexor.  This makes sense, as I never really experienced any serious difficulties until I tried to come off of the Effexor.  I'm not discounting that withdrawal can change the way we react to the drug, or saying that we don't we have to look for adverse reactions to it.  But in my case, and I'm sure in many of your cases, the profound stress of trying to kick the drug too quickly seems to be the culprit for most if not all of my withdrawal symptoms.  

I hope people can give themselves enough time to heal before tapering.  You may get that panicked feeling that you need to get the drug out of your system, but this feeling can be very misleading I think.  It makes it seem like the nature of the problem is the presence of the drug in the body, when I think it's really our body's dependence on the drug, and when we've built this dependence up for a long period of time it needs to be gradually reversed.  

Sending love and patience everyone's way.

ikam   
ikam

How to judge if I am stable or not?

Depressed, low mood is something normal for me...

Wanting to die, suicidal, it is normal for me...

Lonely, it is normal...

Oversensitive, especially to noises, it is normal...

Fight, flight, it is normal...

Pains, aches, diarrhea, seems also normal...

Paresthesia is gone...

Rhiannon   
Rhiannon

I hope people can give themselves enough time to heal before tapering.  You may get that panicked feeling that you need to get the drug out of your system, but this feeling can be very misleading I think.  It makes it seem like the nature of the problem is the presence of the drug in the body, when I think it's really our body's dependence on the drug, and when we've built this dependence up for a long period of time it needs to be gradually reversed.  

Sending love and patience everyone's way.

Yep, that's the conclusion I've had to come to, after seeing so many peoples' journeys over the years. I mean yes, there are definitely people having bad reactions to the meds, but I actually think that's probably only about a third of the people who think they are having bad reactions to the meds, and most of the time they're having compounded withdrawal due to not allowing their brains time to achieve homeostasis.

Holds really are just as important as reductions. 

There's a discussion of this in the Slowness of Slow Tapers thread. I won't attempt to reiterate it here but there's some good stuff there, some links to a couple of good articles, if anyone would like more insight into why we need to give our brains lots and lots and lots of time to balance and heal, as part of the "getting off drugs" process.

And remember my "trellis" analogy: Our brains on these drugs are like plants trained on a trellis. The trellis is the chemistry induced by the drug. The plant is the brain. If you want the plant to regain its natural shape and health, you need to remove the trellis, but if you yank that trellis out too fast, the yanking is going to cause a lot of damage, because the plant has integrated the trellis into its shape and structure. 

We see a lot of people here in the aftermath of having torn the trellis away too fast, or suffering from pulling it out chunk by chunk faster than the plant can reshape itself and grow its own support, so it is struggling and collapsing.

You need to remove the drug a wee bit at a time and then allow the brain to heal, then remove a bit more and allow more healing, etc.

Rhiannon   
Rhiannon

Lonely, it is normal...

Paresthesia is gone...

Given your history as you describe in your sig line, I am not surprised that this is your normal. 

Normal and stable are not the same thing. It can be normal to be stable, but it can also be normal to be very sick and messed up. For many, many years when I was changing meds, always cutting back on my doses or skipping doses because I hated the side effects, I was suicidal, miserable, dysfunctional. I was also pretty miserable even when I was taking the drugs as prescribed, because that's what happens to a lot of people on these drugs. The long term outcomes are not good.

So during that time, feeling sick and miserable, craving death, and not being able to work or function was normal for me. But I was not stable.

All the symptoms you describe above are typical for withdrawal, and from your sig line it sounds like you've been making some aggressive cuts, so I'm not surprised to hear it. I'm sorry for your suffering.

It's a tricky thing, to balance between the bad effects of tapering too fast, and the bad effects of the drugs themselves. There's no easy answer. Overall, I would say, people get the best results by erring on the side of going a bit too slow, mostly because we all have such a strong urge to go too fast.

ikam   
ikam

Lonely, it is normal...

Paresthesia is gone...

Given your history as you describe in your sig line, I am not surprised that this is your normal. 

Normal and stable are not the same thing. It can be normal to be stable, but it can also be normal to be very sick and messed up. For many, many years when I was changing meds, always cutting back on my doses or skipping doses because I hated the side effects, I was suicidal, miserable, dysfunctional. I was also pretty miserable even when I was taking the drugs as prescribed, because that's what happens to a lot of people on these drugs. The long term outcomes are not good.

So during that time, feeling sick and miserable, craving death, and not being able to work or function was normal for me. But I was not stable.

All the symptoms you describe above are typical for withdrawal, and from your sig line it sounds like you've been making some aggressive cuts, so I'm not surprised to hear it. I'm sorry for your suffering.

It's a tricky thing, to balance between the bad effects of tapering too fast, and the bad effects of the drugs themselves. There's no easy answer. Overall, I would say, people get the best results by erring on the side of going a bit too slow, mostly because we all have such a strong urge to go too fast.

Yes, I thought about my time-line with regards to meds and that I must have been in some withdrawal before, but that time nobody spoke about withdrawals...

Yes, I have a strong urge to go faster, but also listen to wise suggestions...

I want to feel stable, whatever it means for me...

Many symptoms I had before being put on meds. I started feelind depressed, suicidal when I was around 14 years old...

What I presented with were mostly symptoms of complex trauma...that time I started drinking alcohol...

No wonder, that I dont know what stable means...

RubyTuesday   
RubyTuesday

for me, stabilizing means that regardless of how rotten i may feel, I am still able to sustain my daily survival activities as well as my daily regimen of spiritual exercises (exercise, meditations, meetings, etc.). If I can not sustain my daily activities at all for more than 2 to 3 days, then the reduction is too severe and it would be good to reinstate to the former dose or at least halfway back up.

I like the analogy of a broken or sprained limb. If I can move it around at all, it may hurt, but that's good, but I should go slow and not try to go out and run a marathon. on the other hand, it moving it doubles me up in spasms, I should probably leave it in the cast for awhile longer. 

tapering off of psych meds is the most excruciatingly difficult thing I have ever done, and that's saying a lot in my case. PATIENCE IS ESSENTIAL.

Ruby

Songbird   
Songbird

For me it usually takes four to six weeks, but occasionally it may take longer, sometimes months.  Since my last failed taper attempt, I am very careful to listen to my body and do not cut until I feel really stable, even if it takes many months.

Jonesy3   
Jonesy3

Hello! Quick question. I just started my first taper (did 10% cut from current dose). I know to hold for at least a month, but I wondered how long (an average, obviously) do the taper symptoms tend to last after each cut? I'm only experiencing very mild symptoms, mostly fatigue, but wanted some feedback! Thanks!

mammaP   
mammaP

Hi Jonesy, everyone is different so there is no right answer. I always say to wait till symptoms have subsided then wait 2 or 3 weeks more before another cut, however long it takes.  They shouldn't last long if they are mild, maybe  a week or so, but if they persist then it may be best to think about smaller cuts which can be more often so the time it takes to taper is much the same but less jarring for the nervous system.  If I could go back I would have done a micro taper of effexor, but then again  if I could go back I wouldn't touch the poisonous drugs in the first place!  

Jlynn   
Jlynn

When I was tapering and my brain was keeping up it was 4-7 days. Unfortunately I made to many big cuts to fast ( before I found this site!) on my doctors advice and when I got to half my dose it caught up with me and I got more symptoms than I can even remember. I reinstated back to 20 mg Paroxitine and after 20 days I am just starting to have windows. I will be way more conservative and cautious when I taper again.

brassmonkey   
brassmonkey

Hi Jonesy-- welcome to the group.  Like mommaP said "no two tapers are alike" so it is very hard to give exact numbers.  One thing I can say is that this is a time intensive process and trying to make it go faster causes a lot of people a lot of grief.  The recommended waiting period is usually 4 weeks between drops, this is a starting point and a reference only, and is frequently a little too fast for most people.  The problem is you won't know until it all catches up with you and you start having big problems.  I have been doing a steady taper at 10% every 6 weeks for the past three and a half years (I started at 40mg of paxil and am currently at 1.8mg.)  All in all it has been pretty smooth, but the timing of the symptoms is always unpredictable, as well as what symptoms they are.  I have been doing a modified drop I call "The Brassmonkey Slide Method"  where I drop 2.5% a week for four weeks and then hold an additional two weeks.  I came up with this to minimize the symptoms.  They hit a little less hard because of the smaller drops and seem to stabilize during the fourth or fifth week.  Others who have tried this method have reported similar results, but again YMMV.

Mild symptoms are a good sign, so you're off to a good start.  There are several dosage ranges between 20 and 0 that tend to give people more trouble than other ranges, so don't expect it to be this mild all the way down (I sure hope it will be though).  The trick is not to panic when you hit a rough spot, given a little time it will resolve itself, and sometimes you just have to push through.  It is also a good thing that you have only taken one medication.  The people who have been polydrugged always have a much rougher time of it.  Please, please, please don't be tempted to switch drugs or add drugs it will just cause you trouble down the road.

Hope that gives you a little clarity.

Jonesy3   
Jonesy3

Thank you so much brassmonkey! Is your way of tapering similar to a microtapering schedule? Also, do you use the liquid paxil, and if so, do you multidose? I switched from the timed release paxil to the liquid, which is not timed release, so I'm scared not to dose it twice a day.

So far, my only stmptoms have been fatigue, but I also have low thyroid, so it's hard to say what is what!

I am in NO rush to get off. I would rather experience as few of symptoms as possible and go slowly!

Thank you for your feedback!

brassmonkey   
brassmonkey

Hi Jonesy-- It is similar to a microtaper but a little more aggressive in that I take bigger cuts and then hold.  The microtaper takes several tiny cuts and then holds.  I have been cutting up 40mg tablets the whole time and weighting them on a milligram scale gets a little tedious at times but its been working so far.  I do one dose in the morning.  I used time release for a while a long time ago but don't remember any big difference when I switched back and fourth.  I have heard people say that they have had trouble switching from the tablets to liquid, but it usually cleared up in a few weeks.  I don't see any problem with dosing twice a day.  Personally I don't think it is necessary unless the symptoms flair up, and it makes it much easier to miss a dose, which will cause some trouble too.  One big thing to learn is not to be afraid of the symptoms.  Yes they are uncomfortable at best and yes they are a big pain in the ***, but they are not going to harm you.  Being afraid of them adds what we call "secondary fear" which can intensify things off the chart.  While your symptoms are mild is a good time to start practicing AAF, Acknowledge, Accept, Float.  Acknowledge that the symptom is there and it's real, explore the symptom and get familiar with it.  Accept that it is happening and that there isn't anything you can do about it.  Let the symptom Float away as you go on about your life.  It is a lot like having an unwanted house guest.  Attitude is one of the biggest keys to getting through this, and I can tell that yours is pretty good already.

Altostrata   
Altostrata

merged similar topics

sky68   
sky68

Stabilizing usually took me 7 to 10 days average. Whereas in the beginning of tapering, I didn't notice any WD at all.

But even after feeling stabilize I waited for a few weeks more before tapering the next step.

Guess it's different for all of us.

blackrabbit   
blackrabbit

Hi Jonesy-- It is similar to a microtaper but a little more aggressive in that I take bigger cuts and then hold.  The microtaper takes several tiny cuts and then holds.  I have been cutting up 40mg tablets the whole time and weighting them on a milligram scale gets a little tedious at times but its been working so far.  I do one dose in the morning.  I used time release for a while a long time ago but don't remember any big difference when I switched back and fourth.  I have heard people say that they have had trouble switching from the tablets to liquid, but it usually cleared up in a few weeks. 

Hey there, I know it's a few months after you posted this but I am searching for help and have a question about this. What did you mean when you said people have had trouble switching from the tablets to the liquid? I ask because I am currently taking 10mg tablet and 3ml aka 3mg of the liquid (to equal 13mg--I only have 10mg and 5mg tablets and breaking them up and weighing them has become too much of a pain). Do you mean that the mixture of the liquid and tablet is harmful? 

brassmonkey   
brassmonkey

Hi Blackrabbit-- no, mixing the tablets and liquid is not harmful.  In the past I have know a number of people who have tried to switch from the tablets to the liquid exclusively  and have had a bad reaction to the liquid.  Their bodies seemed to handle the two differently and the liquid seemed to throw them into hardcore WD.  For some it settled out after a few weeks, but for others, they had to switch back to the  tablets to restabalize.  They then continued their tapers using just the tablets and weighting out the doses with scales.  If you are having no adverse effects, then I wouldn't worry about mixing them

Hope your taper is going well.

blackrabbit   
blackrabbit

Hi Blackrabbit-- no, mixing the tablets and liquid is not harmful.  In the past I have know a number of people who have tried to switch from the tablets to the liquid exclusively  and have had a bad reaction to the liquid.  Their bodies seemed to handle the two differently and the liquid seemed to throw them into hardcore WD.  For some it settled out after a few weeks, but for others, they had to switch back to the  tablets to restabalize.  They then continued their tapers using just the tablets and weighting out the doses with scales.  If you are having no adverse effects, then I wouldn't worry about mixing them

Hope your taper is going well.

Thanks for the response. Just wasnt sure if it was going to take my body a few days to react to the mixing or not. This whole process has made me pay extra attention to everything my body does (idk if it's a good thing or a bad thing). I think about every possibility that could happen during this whole tapering process and stuff. 

eiledon20   
eiledon20

When is the time you know you need to taper your antidepressant rather than updose?

What is "stable" like?

How can I be my old self wheN the small dose benzo is making you tired and heavy specially in the mornings? I believe they also make you unmotivated.

What i know is i can now enjoy music at night but not loud. I guess our nervous system is a wreck.

eiledon20   
eiledon20

Is five months enough to say that it is better to taper a drug than suffer the ill side effects it has on you? Been suffering for so long, i dont want anymore of this.

Is there really a treatment resistant depression or are they mostly chemically sensitive bodies unable to tolerate the side effects.

:( i am determined to get off.....

dreamspirit   
dreamspirit

It's been 12 weeks since I reinstated after I crashed.. I do feel better than what I did in withdrawl.. I do have days where I get andrenaline surges, headaches and stomach problems but not everyday.

When I have done my tapering I never get withdrawls right away it's always takes months for me to feel them and crash so I feel that once I reinstate that it will take me months to feel almost 100% better.

JanCarol   
JanCarol

Lonely, it is normal...

Paresthesia is gone...

I find that people around me can help, too. 

Most of my close friends and loved ones know I am going through that, and I give them permission to chide me, "My aren't you a grumpy bum today?"  (irritable), or "I've missed you so much - it's great to see the real you again."  or "Yes, you're irritable, but you are also engaged with your life."

Feedback can let you know how you are going, when you can't quite get a clear perspective on yourself.  

As many of us here experience, sometimes it feels like the long, slow, crawl doesn't get any better - but the thing is, even though it seems slow, often others can see what we look like, better than we can.  But this is trusted others.  Sometimes it may be a therapist, doctor or counselor, but I always add "diagnostic goggles" to the things they say.  My friends, my family, know that I'm "eccentric" and "weird," and "goofy," but when I'm struggling - they can clearly point out things like:  "you have been sleeping better," or "you haven't had as much IBS these past 2 weeks." and "thank you for not biting my head off today!"  (I get that one from hubby sometimes!)

Is five months enough to say that it is better to taper a drug than suffer the ill side effects it has on you? Been suffering for so long, i dont want anymore of this.

Is there really a treatment resistant depression or are they mostly chemically sensitive bodies unable to tolerate the side effects.

:( i am determined to get off.....

"Treatment resistant depression" is, in my opinion, drug induced.  If you had never been put on the drugs, you would never have become "treatment resistant."  Treatment resistant depression hardly existed before the drugs.  Certainly, there was a small statistical part of the population who were always "melancholic," (the old word for depression) and could not be helped by anything other than rest, or abuse of their substance-of-choice (insert: alcohol, opium, absinthe, etc. here - some would call that, "self medicating.")

Your determination to get off is good.  This is what will hold you through the holds.  But if you plow on through the tapers without resting on the holds, it will become more an more difficult until it is tenable.  You need to listen to yourself, your body, your emotions, and make sure you are stable before you take another taper.

I refer you here to Rhiannon's excellent:  Rhis's Start Small Listen to Body Taper Plan

starcontrol2   
starcontrol2

I don't know either what stabilizing would mean in my case.

I have symptoms that never end but sometimes get better and I have symptoms that get replaced by other symptoms.

I am surviving, I am not living.

My drug history may not be as long or as complicated as some but suffering is just as real.

My personal opinion is that in my case I won't fully heal until I fully get off.

Yes, i drag my butt to work, usually by 11 and I can't really do any work, i leave by 4. I feel any slight pressure at work and I will be gone and I can't get another job now.

Lexapro messed up my vision or I should say visual processing I can't live half drunk all the time. I had to abandon team sports, sleeping is a major issue.

I look at my daughter and it is just a child I don't feel it is my child, this is heart wrenching and heart breaking.

I force to exercise daily with sleepless zombie delirium i am in. I drive because i have to but i feel driving drunk all the time.

I get glimpses, i do!!! I know deep down somewhere is me!!!

I refuse to live with this "stability".

I feel like a Roman Empire in 5th century and the only reason barbarians haven't overrun me is because beyond the few soldiers on the border that still echo the previous might, I have no legions i only play barbarians zoloft and lexapro against each other.

I need my own legions, I cannot rely on barbarian stability

Calmer   
Calmer

I think it takes between 2 to 3 weeks usually to stabilise, provided the cut was small, i.e. a 5% cut every 2 weeks is better than 10% every 4 weeks.  I'm confused, you say you never really stabilise but feel better with each drop - how long do you wait before the next cut?

Fresh   
Fresh

Hi Calmer , I'm not sure that sunflower will respond - she hasn't been on the site since March last

year.

When I was tapering much too fast in 2013 , I felt better within days after each cut.

This was not to be confused with stability - I became a little euphoric , my thinking was clearer , the

colours were brighter , increased energy , that sort of thing. I subjectively felt better for a short time , and never allowed myself to stabilize before cutting again , and getting the same rush of symptoms.

Really dumb thing to do cause it all caught up and I crashed badly. I wonder if that's what sunshine was meaning?

Please could you start an introduction thread for yourself when you're ready.

Good to have you on board , Fresh

starcontrol2   
starcontrol2

I have a question:

So, I was never really able to stabilize. Sometimes I feel way worse, sometimes I feel a little better but there is a "stable" pattern when I feel about 3/10.

I would guess, this is my "level" until brain re-calibrates.

Since my original med was Lexapro and Zoloft just doesn't seem to relieve withdrawal I feel continuing to taper is the only way to go.

Opinions?

brassmonkey   
brassmonkey

Several people have asked me privately if I have noticed and patterns in the timing of symptoms over the course of my taper.  I thought it would be good to share the answer on this thread. Bear in mind that I have been doing the Brassmonkey Slide Method my entire taper until I reached about 2.5mg.  At which point it became physically impossible to weigh the doses and I'm too stuck in my ways to switch to liquid.  I started my taper four and a half years ago at 40mg of paxil.  I have done a cumulative 10% every 6 weeks by dropping 2.5% a week for four weeks and then holding an additional 2 weeks.

For the majority of my taper symptoms would hit me on day three after the first cut.  These would generally clear back to WDnormal by the end of day six. The second and third cut would be pretty much the same.  The fourth cut frequently was different with the symptoms hitting again about the third but sometimes the second day but not clearing back to WDnormal until around the tenth thru sixteenth day.

Things were pretty miserable the entire time I was going from 40mg down to 25mg.  But I could feel a bit of stabilization by the end of each six week period.  My brain also had a lot of sorting out to do as I had been in severe poopout for well over a year before I started to taper and I had also just almost CTed a very heavy alcohol habit at the same time.  By the time I got to 25mg I was starting to notice a general improvement in the symptoms and was having fifteen minute windows about once a month.  I can still remember the first one because I didn't realize that it had happened until  a few hours later with an aha moment of "hey, I had a window this afternoon, this is really going to work."

When I got to the 5mg range things seemed to be hitting sooner, frequently on the second day and some times on the first. But they would clear be the sixth.  All this time the baseling or WDnormal was raising as things improved in general.

Because of the limitations of the scales when I reached about 2.5mgai (active ingredient) I switched from tapering 10%ai to tapering 1mgpw (pill weight). This put me in the 8-10% range per drop.  I also increased the speed to every four weeks, with longer holds when it felt like I should.

With the new schedule the pattern changed a bit.  The first few drops tended to have symptoms start up around day three, peak on days four or five then taper down over the next week and be cleared by the end of the four week period.  After passing 1.5mgai things changed again to nothing until day four or five and then hitting fairly hard for a day or two, subsiding and holding fairly steady for a week or so and then fading off to WDnormal.  There were two instances where I held an extra week because things hadn't settled out.  My impression has been that WDnormal has raised with each drop since 1.5mgai.

Currently I am getting hit for a few hours on the morning of the third and fourth days and then drag on for about a week before clearing to WDnormal.

It's been a very long drawn out experience, and still has some time to go before I can finally jump off.  Although it hasn't been a pleasant experience the symptoms have been manageable to the point I have maintained a full time job, traveled, and indulged my hobbies.

Rhiannon   
Rhiannon

I think you need to create a line dance called the Brassmonkey Slide. And make a video for us. So we can all do it.

brassmonkey   
brassmonkey

It's just a jump to the left..

Then a step to the right....

Altostrata   
Altostrata

starcontrol, the answer to that question depends so much on your particular history of switching, your Intro topic is the proper place for it.

Terry   
Terry
On 1/25/2015 at 1:37 PM, Altostrata said:

Hi, sunflower. From what I've seen, most people stabilize within a few days after a reduction. Some do not feel it at all.

I changed the title of this topic because I think that there's a lot of variation and the experience of others will be very informative.

After 2 weeks on escitalopram and then 4 weeks on sertrilene, I can't say I've ever stabilized. I decreased the sertrilene 10 days ago and symptoms seem overall slightly better.  I'm trying to decide whether to stay at my current dose or continue to taper.

Altostrata   
Altostrata

Slightly better is going in the right direction.