Narcissus

Stabilizing - what does that mean?

kesh

I've seen a few people post on this issue when new to tapering protocols and trying to figure out how to get well. I thought it might be a good idea to make a thread.

Many of us coming here have been bounced around by different doses and medications, and don't know what a stabilising dose might be. Are we in withdrawal or are we feeling symptoms induced by a dose increase or new drug? Will a hold at where we are actually give us any stability? Maybe on joining this forum we have been on the same dose for a while and feel no stability.

Myself, I have akathisia, in windows and waves. I don't know of anyone that stabilizes on akathisia, that is they hold their dose and see it stop or lessen significantly.

Healing to all.

Littlegrandma

Thanks Kesh

after holding for 5 mo without a true window, I decided to cut my lexapro from 5 to 4.8 mg. I had a couple days where I thought this might be the right decision. 

Now, the akathasia is going full bore. And every symptom I’ve ever had is ramped up along with new ones. One of which is tinnitus. 

Did i I not hold long enough? Do I go back to 5 mg or wait it out? 

Am I ever going to stabilize? Or am I doomed to this hell forever?

Maresat

I'm sorry , I don't know why my post ended up here . I'll repost . But I'm also interested In This question of stabilizing too ! 

Maresat 🌺

Altostrata
On 1/6/2018 at 5:17 AM, kesh said:

I've seen a few people post on this issue when new to tapering protocols and trying to figure out how to get well. I thought it might be a good idea to make a thread.

Many of us coming here have been bounced around by different doses and medications, and don't know what a stabilising dose might be. Are we in withdrawal or are we feeling symptoms induced by a dose increase or new drug? Will a hold at where we are actually give us any stability? Maybe on joining this forum we have been on the same dose for a while and feel no stability.

Myself, I have akathisia, in windows and waves. I don't know of anyone that stabilizes on akathisia, that is they hold their dose and see it stop or lessen significantly.

Healing to all.

There is no answer to this question -- it depends on individual circumstances.

For example, kesh, you are just starting to manage your own situation in the context of a naturally pessimistic outlook.

Is it too soon to say you'll never get stable? Why anguish over something that may never happen? Is this good for you?

If you are in a difficult spot with drugs, is it constructive to think it will last forever? As we can see over and over, many members here, even those who frequently post with  incessant irrational worries, get better, much to their surprise. They put energy into enhancing all that suffering for nothing.

In the converse, if you knew you were going to have to contend with symptoms of a chronic disease for the rest of your life, what would you do? This is a real test of character. Can you rise to dealing with that reality? Or would you sink into self-pity?

The one question I get most often is "When will I recover?" If I was able to answer that question, I'd use my prognostication abilities to do something a lot bigger than this Web site.

If anyone can do this, please get in touch with me!

Downbutnotout
8 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

For example, kesh, you are just starting to manage your own situation in the context of a naturally pessimistic outlook.

Is it too soon to say you'll never get stable? Why anguish over something that may never happen? Is this good for you?

If you are in a difficult spot with drugs, is it constructive to think it will last forever? As we can see over and over, many members here, even those who frequently post with  incessant irrational worries, get better, much to their surprise. They put energy into enhancing all that suffering for nothing.

In the converse, if you knew you were going to have to contend with symptoms of a chronic disease for the rest of your life, what would you do? This is a real test of character. Can you rise to dealing with that reality? Or would you sink into self-pity?

The one question I get most often is "When will I recover?" If I was able to answer that question, I'd use my prognostication abilities to do something a lot bigger than this Web site.

I know I am like this too. I don’t want to be. How can I stop thinking like this.? 

Altostrata
4 minutes ago, Downbutnotout said:

I know I am like this too. I don’t want to be. How can I stop thinking like this.? 

We have discussed this extensively in your Intro topic.

Downbutnotout
Just now, Altostrata said:

We have discussed this extensively in your Intro topic.

Okay, I’ll look back on it. I’m sorry I bothered you. 

Maresat

Very great answer Altostrata , thank you for reminding us , me , of how acceptance is where out power lies, and the choice we have of how we choose to relate to what is happening . It is a learning curve for sure and maybe the most difficult thing about this whole process. I am grateful for this aspect , even though I wouldn't choose the suffering for any price! 

Maresat 🕊🌺🙏🏻

Altostrata

You're very welcome, Maresat. I wouldn't wish this character-building exercise on anyone, but here we are and we have to deal with it.

kesh
9 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Thanks Alto. Yeah I'm catastrophising. Thanks for the gentle reminder that's what I'm doing. This is easily the toughest thing I have ever been through, and acceptance of that is even more difficult. Panic is almost easier somehow, even though panic is horrible. 

And thanks for this great site. Not sure where I'd be without it.

rafatennis

Great feedback here, since I started the withdrawal process in Jan 2017 from Nortriptylene I had one period in July when I dropped from 18mg to 16mg where I had to hold for two months before continuing, I was doing the 10% protocol taper and was suggested by Alto to try 5% every 2 weeks and see how that goes. I also got some other good advice from a moderator because I too was unsure when I should resume my taper and she said if you aren't having drastic swings from day to day keep going, I did just that it went quite well and had no real problems except the usual 4-5 days of feeling the meds adjusting with half life etc. I've always been a steady exerciser usually 6 days a week lifting weights and cardio, usually  45mins-1 hour each workout but with fairly strong intensity, I'm in a place now where I dropped from 10mg  to 9.5mg, two weeks later to 9mg, what i did different was at 9.5 I really wasn't feeling as stabilized as I had on previous drops and pushed forward anyway and now I'm two weeks after the drop to 9mg and really have had very few windows so this advice really helped. I can't get in the weight room now without feeling worse, I've done virtually minimal to no exercise over the last week , if any of you are like me exercise and athletics has always been a big part of my life and stress relief and coming to the realization of having to stop for periods is tough but now I see necessary, gentle exercise will have to govern activity now. I would love to hear from anybody in reply who enjoys working out like I do and how it has affected them. I also meant to mention I'm 56 and have been on these meds at varying doses for the past 20 years. Thanks

Meeto

Is it possible to never stabilize after drop?  It's been 4 months since my last drop and I have been getting worse regardless of what I do.

BCangel62

What is parathesia?

Altostrata

Use search in the Symptoms forum to read about paresthisia.