Curcumin or turmeric

Brandy

I don't know if any of this article's contents, which also mention SSRIs, are relevant or not.

B R A I N R E S E A R C H 1 1 6 2 ( 2 0 0 7 ) 9 – 1 8

Curcumin reverses impaired hippocampal neurogenesis and

increases serotonin receptor 1A mRNA and brain-derived

neurotrophic factor expression in chronically stressed rats

Ying Xua, Baoshan Kub, Li Cuic, Xuejun Lib, Philip A. Barisha,

Thomas C. Fosterc, William O. Oglea,*

aDepartment of Biomedical Engineering, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, 32611, USA

bDepartment of Pharmacology, School of Basic Medical Science, Peking University, 38 Xueyuan Road, Beijing, 100083, PR China

cDepartment of Neuroscience, Mcknight Brain Institute, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, 32611, USA

A R T I C L E I N F O

Article history:

Accepted 21 May 2007

Available online 21 June 2007

A B S T R A C T

Curcuma longa is a major constituent of Xiaoyao-san, the traditional Chinese medicine,

which has been used to effectively manage stress and depression-related disorders in

China. As the active component of curcuma longa, curcumin possesses many therapeutic

properties; we have previously described its antidepressant activity in our earlier studies

using the chronic unpredictable stress model of depression in rats. Recent studies show that

stress-induced damage to hippocampal neurons may contribute to the phathophysiology of

depression. The aim of this study was to investigate the effects of curcumin on hippocampal

neurogenesis in chronically stressed rats. We used an unpredictable chronic stress

paradigm (20 days) to determine whether chronic curcumin treatment with the effective

doses for behavioral responses (5, 10 and 20 mg/kg, p.o.), could alleviate or reverse the effects

of stress on adult hippocampal neurogenesis. Our results suggested that curcumin

administration (10 and 20 mg/kg, p.o.) increased hippocampal neurogenesis in chronically

stressed rats, similar to classic antidepressant imipramine treatment (10 mg/kg, i.p.). Our

results further demonstrated that these new cells mature and become neurons, as

determined by triple labeling for BrdU and neuronal- or glial-specific markers. In addition,

curcumin significantly prevented the stress-induced decrease in 5-HT1A mRNA and BDNF

protein levels in the hippocampal subfields, two molecules involved in hippocampal

neurogenesis. These results raise the possibility that increased cell proliferation and

neuronal populations may be a mechanism by which curcumin treatment overcomes the

stress-induced behavioral abnormalities and hippocampal neuronal damage. Moreover,

curcumin treatment, via up-regulation of 5-HT1A receptors and BDNF, may reverse or

protect hippocampal neurons from further damage in response to chronic stress, which

may underlie the therapeutic actions of curcumin.

Reference to "Chronic stress and consequent elevated glucocorticoid exposure" is on page 5 of the full article [in pdf form] at:

Curcumin-reverses-impaired-hippocampal-neurogenesis-and...

I was "TryingToGetWell" (aka TTGW) on paxilprogress. I also was one of the original members here on Surviving Antidepressants

I had horrific and protracted withdrawal from paxil, but now am back to enjoying life with enthusiasm to the max, some residual physical symptoms continued but largely improve. The horror, severe derealization, anhedonia, akathisia, and so much more, are long over.

My signature is a temporary scribble from year 2013. I'll rewrite it when I can.

If you want to read it, click on http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/209-brandy-anyone/?p=110343

""Curcumin reverses impaired hippocampal neurogenesis and

increases serotonin receptor 1A mRNA and brain-derived

neurotrophic factor expression in chronically stressed rats""

Very interesting Brandy.

I have been taking curcumin for other reasons not related to having taken psych meds. It looks you have given me another reason to keep taking it.

Thanks for posting the link.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

• Administrator

Interesting. There was a period in my earlier withdrawal syndrome that I craved Indian food -- spiced with turmeric, which contains curcumin -- and ate a lot of it.

This was unusual because prior to withdrawal, it tended to give me indigestion so I didn't eat it that often.

After a while, it didn't agree with my stomach, so I stopped.

Recently, I've been eating it again, frequently. It's delicious!

(You can get curcumin in capsules as a nutritional supplement, you don't have to eat it as turmeric -- but turmeric can be very tasty.)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I've been interested in trying this, I've bought some curcumin capsules but haven't tried any yet. Apparently it is more bioavailable if taken with oil or fat. I saw one site mentioning to mix it with dark chocolate.

I've also seen a few anecdotal mentions on anxiety sites, people said it reduced their stress levels, one person said it helped their depression.

Off Lexapro since 3rd November 2011.

• 1 year later...

I tried some Curcumin a few days ago. The effects were interesting. I felt my brainfog lift a bit, and more focused, but also more angsty and irritable.

I managed to get a lot of tasks done I had been putting off after taking it.

However I wouldnt recommend it. The angsty feeling wasnt pleasant at all.

Apparently some people take it for easing pain and inflammation - it certainly helped in that regard.

Off Lexapro since 3rd November 2011.

• Administrator

Interesting. Maybe cooking with it would be more pleasant -- not as concentrated.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

A warning to those with Bruxism type problems, Curcumin may make it worse. That was my experience in a short experiment with it years ago, as well as the experience of a few others on another forum. Not trying to be a downer, but thought you should know, if you experience more clenching, grinding, jaw pain, etc., Curcumin could be the culprit.

Approximately 18 years on Effexor. Tapered for more than two years. Totally off of Effexor since late Oct. 2010.

I tried some Curcumin a few days ago. The effects were interesting. I felt my brainfog lift a bit, and more focused, but also more angsty and irritable.

I managed to get a lot of tasks done I had been putting off after taking it.

However I wouldnt recommend it. The angsty feeling wasnt pleasant at all.

Apparently some people take it for easing pain and inflammation - it certainly helped in that regard.

Phil, what kind of curcumin did you take (i.e., plain curcumin, curcumin with piperine, or the BCM-95 form)? And what dose?

Are you completely off all meds? And if so, for how long?

Sorry for all the questions, but these things can make a difference when using therapeutic amounts of curcumin (and many supplements).

btw, I didn't get angst or irritability with it - just the opposite, I think. But people respond to supplements (and meds!) differently, so I always urge people to start supplements very slowly when in w/d and for quite a while post-psychotropic meds.

You're right that's a very effective natural anti-inflammatory. It's worked as well in that respect as many heavy-duty anti-inflammatories for me. But nothing is right for everybody, and even herbs and other supplements need to be used with care.

I was "TryingToGetWell" (aka TTGW) on paxilprogress. I also was one of the original members here on Surviving Antidepressants

I had horrific and protracted withdrawal from paxil, but now am back to enjoying life with enthusiasm to the max, some residual physical symptoms continued but largely improve. The horror, severe derealization, anhedonia, akathisia, and so much more, are long over.

My signature is a temporary scribble from year 2013. I'll rewrite it when I can.

If you want to read it, click on http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/209-brandy-anyone/?p=110343

• 8 months later...

Yes, I've been using it as while, but last week I did some research on it and I found out that it may not be really helpful in the end, because it should be ingested in combination with black pepper, otherwise your body is hardly able to really take it in. The problem with black pepper though is that it slows down the metabolism of all kind of materials, so I figured it would slow down the metabolism of the medication as well. And I'm not sure if that is such a good thing.

See:

http://personal.us.es/mlopezlazaro/2010.%20Int%20J%20Cancer.%20The%20dark%20side%20of%20curcumin.pdf

quote:

Most of the evidence that supports the therapeutic potential of curcumin is mainly based on in vitro studies in which

curcumin was tested at concentrations in the micromolar range. Several reports have demonstrated, however, that the plasma concentrations of curcumin in people taking relatively high oral doses of this compound are very low, typically in the nanomolar range.

For instance, a recent study examined the pharmacokinetics of a curcumin preparation in 12 healthy human volunteers 0.25–72 hr after

an oral dose of 10 or 12 g. Using a high-performance liquid chromatography assay with a limit of detection of 50 ng mL

, only 1 subject had detectable free curcumin at any of the time points assayed. The fact that curcumin also undergoes extensive metabolism in intestine and liver means that high concentrations of curcumin cannot be achieved and maintained in plasma and tissues after oral ingestion. This is a major obstacle for the clinical development of this agent and suggests that the therapeutic potential of oral curcumin is limited. The low clinical efciency of curcumin in the treatment of several chronic diseases such as Alzheimer’s disease and cardiovascular diseases has been discussed recently.

'Several strategies have been proposed to overcome the low oral bioavailability of curcumin. One of these strategies has entered clinical trials and consists of using the black pepper alkaloid piperine (bioperine) to increase the bioavailability of curcumin. This strategy, however, should be used

cautiously, as piperine is a potent inhibitor of drug metabolism and may cause toxicity in people taking specic drugs.

8,19,20 In addition, it is important to note that any strategy that increases the levels of curcumin in tissues will not only increase the effectiveness of curcumin, but also its toxicity. '

Have been on Seroquel XR from 2008. Dosages have fluctuated quite a bit. Rough guess: I've been on 250-300-350-400-450-500 mg from 2009-summer 2012. Started tapering july 2012 with cuts of 50 mg. By then I had been on 450 mg for a while. October 2012: 200 mg. Due to flu-like WD reinstated to 250 mg nov 12th.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

i started curcumin a couple of weeks ago, and have taken it intermittently. I haven't been very consistent as I am not sure about whether it will be helpful or harmful. I have read that it can act as a very weak MAOI - I don't know if taking curcumin whilst coming off a SSRI is helpful - i mean is curcumin going to do what my antidepressant has been doing - that is increasing the serotonin in the synapse, thereby affecting receptors upstream - and therefore slowing down the upregulation? what do people think?

Started in 2000 - On 150mg most of the time, (but up to 225mg at highest dose for 6 months in the beginning)
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Back on effexor for another 9 months.
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - suddenly got depressed and anxious ++ again 3 or 4 months later.
Back on effexor - this time for 3 years
Reduced off over a month - 6 weeks later terrible anxiety - back on.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times - each time the period before the anxiety comes back got shorter and shorter
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg - crashed big time: back to 75mg where i sat for 2 years....

4th  March 2015 - 67.5mg;   31st March - 60mg;  24th April - 53mg; 13th May - 48mg; 26th May - 45mg;  9th June - 41mg; 1 July- 37.5mg; 20 July - 34mg; 11 August - 31mg; 1st Sept - 28mg;  1st Dec - 25.8mg;  28th Dec - 23.2mg; 23rd Jan-21.9mg; Feb 7th- 21mg; March 1st - 20.1mg, March 30th - 18mg

i started curcumin a couple of weeks ago, and have taken it intermittently. I haven't been very consistent as I am not sure about whether it will be helpful or harmful. I have read that it can act as a very weak MAOI - I don't know if taking curcumin whilst coming off a SSRI is helpful - i mean is curcumin going to do what my antidepressant has been doing - that is increasing the serotonin in the synapse, thereby affecting receptors upstream - and therefore slowing down the upregulation? what do people think?

Hi Peggy,

I don't know the answers to your questions but an FYI, taking curcumin caused GI bleeding. I took a very small amount by the way.

I am guessing my experience is unusual but still wanted to point out that these supplements aren't harmless.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

I use a little bit of turmeric daily as a salad dressing. I didn't notice any ill effect, but as I said my "dosage" is very low.

From 2001 to 2010, I took almost continuosly a host of different SSRIs , including Prozac, Celexa and Paxil, plus various benzodiazepines and Bupropion for a limited period of time.

From July 2010 to April 2012 >> Duloxetine, dose ranging from 60mg to 120mg.

From August 2012 to September 2012 >> reinstated 30 mg of Duloxetine

From September 2012 until present days >> Valproic Acid/Sodium Valproate, dose ranging from 300mg to 1000mg. Now I'm on 400mg. I've also taken Amisulpride (50mg) for 9 days and Abilify (10ml) only once.

I've been using curcumin to good effect for a long time now....both supplements and the dried spice in my food.

recently I switched to fresh whole turmeric root as I've eliminated almost all supplements since I found out about my histamine issues...

the whole fresh root is delicious...much milder and delicate than the powdered stuff....it goes well on many many dishes and also is delicious in tea...sometimes I mix it with fresh ginger root in tea...very yum...I add some fresh ground black pepper whenever I use it too since that increases bioavailability.

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

• 4 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus
Posted on: Green Med Info
Friday, July 19th 2013 at 6:30 pm
Written By:
Sayer Ji, Founder

A new study published in the journal Phytotherapy Research has confirmed for the first time in a randomized, controlled clinical trial that the primary polyphenol in turmeric known as curcumin is both safe and effective in treating serious states of depression.[1]

The research was performed at the Department of Pharmacology, Government Medical College, Bhavnagar, Gujarat, India, and involved patients diagnosed with major depressive disorder (MDD).  The objective of the trial was to compare the efficacy and safety of curcumin with fluoxetine (Prozac) in 60 patients diagnosed with MDD. Subjects were randomized to receive either a six week treatment with fluoxetine (20 mg) and curcumin (1000 mg) individually or their combination.

Success of the treatment was evaluated using the 17-item Hamilton Depression Rating Scale (HAM-D17). The results were reported as follows:

We observed that curcumin was well tolerated by all the patients. The proportion of responders as measured by the HAM-D17 scale was higher in the combination group (77.8%) than in the fluoxetine [Prozac] (64.7%) and the curcumin (62.5%) groups; however, these data were not statistically significant (P = 0.58). Interestingly, the mean change in HAM-D17 score at the end of six weeks was comparable in all three groups (P = 0.77). This study provides first clinical evidence that curcumin may be used as an effective and safe modality for treatment in patients with MDD without concurrent suicidal ideation or other psychotic disorders. [emphasis added]

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

This is interesting and I would prefer curcumin to Prozac for a loved one who had symptoms of depression.

I wonder how many Indian citizens have been exposed to pharmaceutical drugs? A big problem IMO with stateside mental health studies is that it is so difficult to find adults who are truly untainted by psychiatric Rx medications. In most studies a person has 'untreated depression' if they hadn't taken an SSRI or other medication for depression in the preceding 6 weeks to the start of the study...

When I knew many people from NAMI, I heard stories about how many members would stop all or some of the medication long enough to 'get in a study' to make some money for meeting ends... I heard of people who had been on dozens of psych meds over decades who would drop their medications for six weeks to get into these studies and those people would be in the 'untreated' group...

Obviously the extent of the pharmalogical problem makes the study of said difficult and claims troublesome to evaluate...

Maybe this is not a problem in india? However, one should also consider that Indian cuisine is frequently very rich in culinary tumeric...

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

• Moderator Emeritus

The article goes on to say the results are based on very limited data.. I just went back to put that part in but the article is no longer avail.  Bummer.

Thanks Alex

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• 9 months later...
  • Administrator

I found that capsules containing half turmeric and half ginger settle my stomach, which has become very fizzy lately, when ginger capsules alone did not.

• 5 months later...

I've used curcumin to help with general unhappiness while withdrawing from venlafaxine, it appears to help - my mood has generally been good while withdrawing exept for experiencing a lot of anger on some days. I take it pretty much every day as not taking it means I tend to have a bad day. 

Have been on psyc drugs for years, too many to include in this signature.

Currently on 475 mg lyrica, 37.5 mg venlafaxine 50mg seroquel, 2mg melatonin.

1-2.5 litres chamomile, only thing that seems to help with all of this.

Multivitamin and vitamin D prescribed by doctor for not going out in the sun enough. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

I've been drinking soup with a lot of turmeric and pepper the past couple of days due to having a bad cold (hoping it might help with aches and pains)...I think it might be sort of stimulating, for me. I think I may need to stick with smaller amounts. Does anyone else find it too stimulating?

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a new study that shows that, :"Turmeric compound boosts regeneration of brain stem cells" - http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/09/140925205819.htm

found on r/nootropics

Have been on psyc drugs for years, too many to include in this signature.

Currently on 475 mg lyrica, 37.5 mg venlafaxine 50mg seroquel, 2mg melatonin.

1-2.5 litres chamomile, only thing that seems to help with all of this.

Multivitamin and vitamin D prescribed by doctor for not going out in the sun enough. 

• 1 month later...

I've been drinking soup with a lot of turmeric and pepper the past couple of days due to having a bad cold (hoping it might help with aches and pains)...I think it might be sort of stimulating, for me. I think I may need to stick with smaller amounts. Does anyone else find it too stimulating?

Hi Rhi! I'm just now seeing this. In fact, didn't follow this thread so many new posts. (My notifications from SA are sporadic and mangled so I often can't tell what they are for some reason. Maybe Edward Snowden might know... lol.)

I'll reply to other posts here when I can. But since your post is farily recent I thought I'd mention that although a potent curcumin supplement could cause reactions (though personally I didn't find it stimulating), turmeric is poorly utilized by the body and though pepper helps that a bit, it still is something that is considered to be more preventative than therapeutic in the amounts obtained by eating the actual herb.

But if it contains more pepper than you usually eat, that could be the culprit. (I find I can no longer tolerate pepper. Organic or not. Damn.) I also can't tolerate most herbs and spices. (Same re organic status, same "damn.") If the soup contains turmeric, you might want to consider the other spices that might be in it. I miss Indian and so many nationalities' foods so much. I have a lot of organic Indian herbs purchased for therapeutic purposes sitting in my kitchen cupboard. Can't tolerate any of them except probably turmeric, for some reason.)

Although I doubt the amount of pepper in soup would be enough to affect your body's utilization of meds, I do want to mention that I've had to warn some people about taking anything with piperine while still on psych meds. There do seem to be some interactions, and I haven't been able to find enough concrete resources to completely sort out which CYP450 enzymes, and therefore which specific meds, would be affected. I have found a lot of interesting resources, but they may be on my old XP computer. (Embarrassed to say I still haven't trarnsferred most of my data from it. Always something more interesting to do.)

By the way, since I'm still on clonazepam (and can't tolerate pepper anyway I'm finding). I use the curcumin (most potent/therapeutic component of the actual herb) in the BCM-95 form, which increases bio-availability for therapeutic purposes like piperine, but with no pepper ingredients. But if any form of turmeric may disagree with you, you might be better off avoiding it. Maybe another kind of nutritious soup?

I hope your cold is over and that you're feeling better!

• 4 weeks later...

I am also taking curcumin for some weeks now. But only recently I read about the poor absorbtion problem. So after some research I decided to take it in as a Golden Milk drink. It is very tasty. http://epicureandigest.com/2014/09/11/turmeric-golden-milk-a-life-changing-nourishing-drink/

Two important side notes which are rarely said:

In addition to taking in with some oil or fat it is VERY important to take it with FRESHLY GROUND pepper. If it is not freshly ground the piperine starts to dissipate after 20 minutes.

Another thing which needs more attention is one of the side effects of turmeric, namely that it is blood thinner. Be cautious with this, I had a scary experience the other day. Because I scratched my nose inside the blood started flowing. I managed to stop it but it started again like two times a bit later. The fourth time it started during the night (I was awake fortunately) and it was very hard to stop the flow that time. It seemed that my blood refused to clot. 

Now I feel bummed cause I don't want this to happen again but I don't want to stop taking the turmeric for this reason only, because I think it did some wonders for me( I will tell you later about this) I guess I should rather just try to avoid scratching inside my nose again.... :P

1st short round: from 2012 april ~ july 

Sertraline 50mg with 1mg Larazepam fast wd few problems

2013 may - 2014 january:  75mg Effexor XR +  1mg Rivotril + 10mg Ambien(zolpidem)

2014 january ~ june :        150mg Effexor XR +  2mg Rivotril    cold turkeyed both almost at the same time (crazy wd of course)

two days after cold turkey of Effexor I started 10mg of Lexapro for around a month then did a fast taper (for some days took little Ambien to combat wd)

Reinstated to 1mg of Klonopin on 2015.04.23  took the 1mg total for 10 days.  I did in three divided doses 0.25 morning + 0.25 afternoon + 0.5 before sleep.  

Now: 1 mgs total K, divided into .75 night .25 day

Started taking 3mg Lamictal on 05.07...... Slowly tiltrated up to 6mg....

Did anybody found it to be activating? Should I avoid taking it too late?

2013 may - 2014 january:  75mg Effexor XR +  1mg Rivotril + 10mg Ambien(zolpidem)

2014 january ~ june :        150mg Effexor XR +  2mg Rivotril    cold turkeyed both almost at the same time (crazy wd of course)

two days after cold turkey of Effexor I started 10mg of Lexapro for around a month then did a fast taper (for some days took little Ambien to combat wd)

Reinstated to 1mg of Klonopin on 2015.04.23  took the 1mg total for 10 days.  I did in three divided doses 0.25 morning + 0.25 afternoon + 0.5 before sleep.  

• 3 weeks later...

So after having a very bad experience yesterday after trying Ginseng again this question started to bother me. So I did some research and I found out that Ginseng also acts as MAOi.

After taking Ginseng in the morning yesterday I woke up in the middle of the night in a very manic, restless state. It was very bad and scary. I will never touch Ginseng again.

Not to mention that my diet also is high in tyramine (I eat a lot of cheese, bananas, etc) 

And I also used to take Tryptophan supplements in my withdrawal (stopped it a month ago) and according to wikipedia:

Tryptophan supplements should not be consumed with MAOIs as the potentially fatal serotonin syndrome may result

What I just found out today is that a lot of natural things also act as a MAOi. Probably the most know is St. John's Wort. Incidentally I also have bad experiences with it when taking it in the past with antidepressants (I had developed serotonin syndrome) I also had bad experience with it in withdrawal. My experience from last night was very similar indeed.

But the list is quite long:

http://www.botanical-online.com/english/vegetalmaois.htm

I never thought about this before. And what is even more interesting is that there are a few other things that I also take regularly like: Passion Flower (my melatonin supplement contains 50mg), and Turmeric. I drink a cup of Turmeric Golden Milk every day now for a while. And incidentally yesterday I used more turmeric in the milk than I use to. So this may added to the whole experience. I just found out that Turrmeric is actually one of the strongest natural MAOi

Considering that these MAOi s are noradrenergic, which is why it causes "mania" -like SNRIs (Just a reminder I was on SNRI for a year....this might also have to do something with it)

I never noticed to react badly to turmeric....at least not in a noticeable way. it is possible that this was causing and/or contributing to my general anxiety, insomnia without me noticing it?

Is there a connection?

Should I stop taking the Turmeric evev if it has LOADS of other benefits too? (Like boosting BDNF, etc)

Opinions?

Thanks.

I don't know. I am very sensitive to the SNRI/Wellbutrin stuff as well. Never have tried ginkgo. Have "tumeric tea" most days as a late afternoon pick-me-up and not aware of any problems. But very interesting info, thanks! Personally, I'm going to stick with the tumeric as long as it seems OK, because of all the plusses you mentioned. I also put ginger and cinnamon in it.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

Yes it would brake my heart if I had to stop turmeric for this reason. It is truly an amazing and unique "food" :D When it comes to recovery and brain regeneration I think this is the supplement that I have the highest hope for. And I have good reasons why.

I also put cinnamon in my Turmeric Golden Milk and I eat a banana alongs with it. It is very YUMM! :) 

• Administrator

Try any supplements with caution.

Please see our topics on St. John's Wort, turmeric, ginger etc.

The neuroactive herbs such as St. John's Wort, ginseng, and valerian may very well add to problems for someone sensitized by withdrawal.

In my opinion, flavoring herbs such as ginger, turmeric, saffron, etc. are not that much of a problem.

I did read those topics. I won't touch St. John's Worth, Ginseng, Valerian, and any neuroactive herb again. I reacted badly to all of them. 

I am not sure if that amount of Passion Flower in my melatonin supplement is an issue or not. I was looking for a melatonin supplement without it but those all come in 3mg tablets which is a bit too much for me. (Actually I am taking 1,5mg plus 0.5 in an interval of 3 hours before bed) but I guess I can cut those tablets somehow. 

I think after all it will be a good idea to get rid of all these neuroactive herbs just to be sure (even that 50mg of PassionFlower)

Glad to hear that I can stick with the Turmeric :)

• Administrator

If you haven't had a bad reaction to the passionflower in your melatonin, don't worry about it.

• 1 month later...

I'm trying it now. I got a big curry on the stove with 5 teaspoons of turmeric and 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper (plus onion, garlic and home grown silver beet, tomoto and chilis).

I bought turmeric labelled organic at the health food shop.

I've that turmeric can have lead chromate added to give it more colour!

Needless to say it is not a good thing!

Cheers

Damien

Off all SSRIs as at November 2016.

Been on SSRIs (mainly Lexapro) for around 15 years.

failed attempts to go cold turkey before I got proper info on it.

Over last 2 years I've slowly gone from 20 mg Lexapro to 2.5 mg Lexapro.

on 25th Jan 2015 I've now moved to home made liquid Lexapro.

Plan is to drop roughly 0.2 mg per month over the next 1-2 years.  

25th Jan 2015 2.5 mg Lexapro liquid.

24th Mar 2016 1.0 mg lexapro (crushed tablet mixed and refilled into capsules)

Planned to be at 0.0 mg lexapro by about October 2016. 

I also take 50-100 mg modafinil per day, no short term plans of stopping/tapering modafinil but will re-evaluate after I'm off lexapro. 

• 3 weeks later...

After going through diet-induced chronic fatigue, a neck injury, an adverse reaction (to put it mildly) to the combination of NyQuil and Cymbalta, and edema, my acupuncturist bought me a package of turmeric root. He said to eat about half an inch to an inch (he described it as the width of a nickel) of the peeled root a day. When I told him about starting my taper, 17 years of psychiatric drug use, and previous severe withdrawals, he reiterated ingesting turmeric root daily. He said the root is stronger and more potent than the powder (spice). Here is a link that describes proven benefits of this plant. See #4 for brain benefits and how it boosts levels of the hormone BDNF, which increases the growth of new neurons.

http://authoritynutrition.com/top-10-evidence-based-health-benefits-of-turmeric/

I found a turmeric and ginger loose tea at a local tea and spice shop, which I'm really enjoying. On a side note, I've been eating candied ginger for the past year when I'm nauseous. It really helps me =)

Fall 1998, age 15, prescribed Zoloft

Various other medications, tried coming off multiple times (mostly cold turkey) but was put back on due to misdiagnosed withdrawal symptoms

Fall 2013 60mg Cymbalta & .5mg lorazepam

Fall 2014 60mg cymbalta & half of .5 mg tablet of lorazepam nightly for sleep and as needed for anxiety attacks (which was really misdiagnosed protracted withdrawal)

Gradually weaned myself off of lorazepam throughout September and October 2014

March 15, 2015     .21g     (actual weight of granules in single 60mg dose, without capsule)

March 16, 2015     .189g   (10% decrease)

March 24, 2015     .17g     (10% decrease)

March 25, 2015     .18g     (5% increase)

April 8, 2015          .171g   (5% decrease)

Daily Supplements: 2 Nordic Naturals Complete Omega soft gels, 1 Whole Foods 2000 ius vitamin D, 1 Bluebonnet B-Complex 100, Bluebonnet Magnesium Citrate (400-500mg/day)

I megadosed tumeric for a while. I bought purtian pride's turmeric. I had like 10 bottles. I would take 10-12 grams at one time.

I noticed a huge improvement in mood. I was also less depressed and anxious. I used it for a couple months and then stopped.

Other good supplement for anxiety is N-A-C . I don't take it anymore but it helps a lot of people.

trintellix 1 mg and rexulti .5mg

• 1 month later...

Hey antidepressantsNoMore,

did you have any issues stopping the tumeric after megadosing? Mood crash or anything?

Cheers,

Laura

Feb 2015 Took venlafaxine for 5 days only... experienced withdrawal that made me completely non-functional

Mar 2015 took under 1mg of Sertraline for 10 days in an attempt to combat Venlafaxine withdrawal. Got adverse reactions. 

After stopping Sertraline, withdrawal got much worse. New, horrific symptoms. 

June 2015 Still non-functional but slowly getting better. Still brain zaps, migraines, sweating, heart racing, depression, crying spells

September 2015: 24/7 brain zaps, twitches in the face, no concentration, bad memory, language skills deteriorating. 

Profile feed: http://goo.gl/3g2GRn

Sign this petition for a blackbox warning on Prozac in Ireland:

https://www.change.org/p/leo-varadakar-hpra-the-lack-of-a-blackbox-warning-on-prozac-in-ireland-and-its-use-by-the-hse-in-under-18-s?recruiter=63289046&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=share_for_starters_page&utm_term=des-lg-no_src-no_msg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

I recently started taking this again for inflammation and stiffness in my right knee.  I'm tolerating it ok and my knee is getting better.

I'm taking 500mg per day of Doctor's Best Curcumin C3 Complex with BioPerine.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

I've been taking  1800 mg curcumin for about six months. It definitely has helped with arthritis and my mood also seems improved.

On 20 mg of Prozac for about ten years. Sept 2012 started reducing 10% a drop using gram scale, with average of one month holds.

When I'd reached the half way mark, taking 10 mg  powder out of the 20 mg capsules, I switched over to 10 mg capsules and cutting

down from those. Withdrawals got harder the lower I dropped.  May 2013 changed to 5% drops, holding until all withdrawal symptoms gone.

January 2015 changed to liquid prozac (concentration of 20MG per 5 mL) using a 1mL oral syringe.

Current dose of fluoxetine solution equivalent 3.4 mg. Any effort to drop below this has been disastrous so for the time being I'm staying at this level.
Adding 200 mg Tryptophan and 200 GABA a day has helped with anxiety.
Also take 1,300mg Omega- 3,  875mg  Magnesium, 1800mg Curcumin, 1000mg Vit C, 5000 Vit D.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

I've bought some turmeric root and came to find out how to take it and how much.  If it causes blood to thin I'll wait until after surgery next week.

One thing I discovered is not to grate it without  gloves, my fingers are still yellow 2 days after grating some into a stir fry! 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy