SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Curcumin or turmeric

Brandy

I don't know if taking curcumin whilst coming off a SSRI is helpful - i mean is curcumin going to do what my antidepressant has been doing - that is increasing the serotonin in the synapse, thereby affecting receptors upstream - and therefore slowing down the upregulation? what do people think?

I tried to take it earlier on about 3 months after a too-fast taper of 6 "meds." I took the supplement for about 4 months but found it exacerbated the symptoms of withdrawal and made my mind more foggy. It also gave me headaches. I didn't find it helpful then in supplement form. I eat a lot of Indian food though and like tumeric as a spice. So, I eat it that way. I also make tea with the root. A friend makes a juice that she mixes with tamarind juice. (I've never tried that, but I'd like to sometime.) It doesn't seem to give me problems when I use it in food.

After being on (over 25) psychiatric meds continuously during a 16 year period, I began in July 2014 to taper off 1mg Klonopin. In September 2014, I came off Brintellix, Trazadone, Zoloft, Proprityline & Hydroxyzine in 2 weeks on my own without knowledge on how to taper properly. I've been off all psych "meds" since 10/2014 and am currently experiencing protracted withdrawal.

Medication history: Vibryd, Wellbutrin, Lithium, Prozac, Xanax, Celexa, Cymbalta, Trileptal, Lamictal, Abilify, Zoloft, Trazadone, Citalopram, Effexor, Seroquel, Klonopin, Paxil, Brintellix, Protriptyline, Lexapro, Pristiq, Buspar, Clonidine, Lorazepam, Notriptyline, Hydroxyzine, Serzone.

Introduction: http://bit.ly/1SIxWwl.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

I put hubby on it when he got his cancer diagnosis.  We either used Puritan's Pride, or Doctor's Best, or VitaCost, depending on price.  All have bio-piperine.  He was taking 8 grams per day, and as hippopotamus noted, it did not affect his cancer at all.  He is now on 3 grams per day, for post stroke cognitive function.

After months and months of IBS, I started it too.  It seems to help immensely with joint pain.  It does seem to ease the IBS a bit.  I have not noticed any difference with mood, but because of pain issues, I am afraid to stop taking it.  I take 4 grams per day, plus add it liberally to food & smoothies.

So - started it as an anti-cancer agent, then found out about its anti-inflammatory properties, and am just now learning about it's brain / cognitive / neuroplasticity properties.  Pretty versatile spice, eh?

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Something interesting I found:

Turmeric compound boosts regeneration of brain stem cells

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2014-09/bc-tcb092314.php

I suffer from depression, anxiety, pure-o ocd, and panic attacks since 2004. Been on multiple different psychiatric drugs since 2006. Never had a significant WD problem before, only brain zaps for a month and then I'd be fine...............Been on Cipralex (escitalopram) 15 mg and Fluanxol (flupentixol) 1 mg since Sep 2014. Stopped taking the Cipralex after a fast 20-day taper.Took the last 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 5th, 2015. Then took Seroxat (paroxetine) 10 mg for a week, and stopped it too. Severe WD started suddenly on Feb 16th. RI 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 18th, 2015. RI worked and was relatively stable for a while................April 7 - decreased Fluanxol from 1 mg to 0.5 mg and took it at this dose for a week. - BIG MISTAKE; April 13 - WD starts creeping in; April 14 - RI full dose of Fluanxol 1 mg => severe muscle twitching and jerking when trying to relax and fall asleep, overwhelming sense of doom, dread, terror, and horror, insomnia, hoping to stabilize.
Tried doing a 10% cut off Fluanxol in the end of May for a few days, but quickly updosed to full dose because the twitching returned.
Experiencing waves and windows in the following months.
Unsuccessful brief taper attempt of Fluanxol by 5% on November 1st. Symptoms hit the next day. Too scared to continue tapering, reinstate full dose.
Severe crash in November after stupidly trying a barbiturate on November 9th. Grave mistake. Sense of unshakable inescapable internal torture, like my soul is in hell being tortured, terror/horror/dread/doom (probably akathisia?) that gets especially bad when trying to relax and fall asleep, muscles twitch, jerk and move on their own, shaking, insomnia, can't eat, confusion, disorientation, brain not working normally. Never felt so bad in my entire life. Never experiment with other meds while in WD! Praying to God I stabilize and get back to my baseline.
December - things getting even worse.

January - unbearable suffering

As I think it's been noted, Curcumin (Turmeric) has many beneficial properties for WD. 

Chronic Stress often leads to a decrease in the mRNA for 5ht1a receptors, Curcumin prevents this decrease, and enhances the cAMP signaling at the 5ht1a receptor (which is heavily implicated in depression and anxiety).

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/store/10.1111/j.1471-4159.2011.07356.x/asset/j.1471-4159.2011.07356.x.pdf?v=1&t=icwb357j&s=145a464251090b1b625d37e3564d45eb08350e77

---

I'll attach part of an old post of mine from another forum explaining why I began with Curcumin. I'm on 1800mg now, and have been working up to that over the past 5 weeks. The goals for me are more long-term, but I think I have been having better sexual response since I began.

"So, I'm putting my theory to action.

I have decided to start with curcumin in my attempts to repair the secondary messenger system of the 5ht1a by increasing the efficiency of the cAMP system, and by stopping the stress induced decrease of 5ht1a mRNA and decrease in BDNF. 

The following are the aims of my trial of curcumin.

Depression Help:

“which has been used to effectively manage stress and
depression-related disorders in China
. As the active component of
curcuma longa, curcumin possesses many therapeutic properties.”

“Recent studies show that stress-induced damage to hippocampal
neurons may contribute to the phathophysiology of depression.”

"These results suggested that the potent antidepressant property of curcumin might be attributed to its improvement of AC-cAMP pathway"

"curcumin administration (10 and 20 mg/kg, p.o.)
increased hippocampal neurogenesis in chronically stressed rats...Our results further demonstrated that these new cells mature
and become neurons

Reversal of PSSD through increase of 5ht1a mRNA encoding, and improvement of cAMP signaling system.

“In addition, curcumin significantly prevented the stress-induced decrease in 5-HT1A mRNA and
BDNF protein levels in the hippocampal subfields, two molecules
involved in hippocampal neurogenesis
. These results raise the
possibility that increased cell proliferation and neuronal populations
may be a mechanism by which curcumin treatment overcomes the
stress-induced behavioral abnormalities and hippocampal neuronal
damage. Moreover, curcumin treatment, via up-regulation of 5-HT1A
receptors and BDNF, may reverse or protect hippocampal neurons
 from
further damage in response to chronic stress, which may underlie the
therapeutic actions of curcumin.”

"Moreover, curcumin enhanced AC activity and cAMP levels in platelet and various brain regions, and up-regulated mRNA expressions of AC subtypes AC 2, AC 8 and cAMP response element binding protein (CREB) in the hippocampus, cortex and hypothalamus of the CUMS rats"

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19302828"

Escitalopram 5mg 4 days Sept 14'

Adderal 1mg (Very Rarely Taken) (Not since Fall '14)

Trazodone 50mg: 1 week in Sept '14. Few days Dec 14'. 3 days Jan '16.

Experience with: St. John's Wort, Turmeric, Zinc, Inositol, Ginkgo

"I don't want to believe. I want to know" - Carl Sagan

Admin on www.pssdforum.com "Ghost"-----Moderator for PSSD subreddit  "GhostPSSD" (reddit.com/r/PSSD)

My Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9564-gh0sts-escitalopram-wd/

My PSSD Theory: reddit.com/r/PSSD/comments/46b4w1/ghost_pssd_article/

• 1 month later...

Been taking bio curcumin for 1.5 years now at 800 mg. per day for other inflammatory problems I have ant to tell you the truth when I stopped a month ago I felt absolutely no difference. I always bought the expensive stuff too. Some people swear by it. I may start taking it again just for the hell of it. Give it a try, it won't hurt you.

Paxil start September 2003 due to Fluoroquinolone adverse reaction that I wish doc. knew what it was. 10mg. most of the time with a few short runs of 20mg. FAST tapered 3 times and finally hit poop out or a reaction to nsaid's in Nov.2013. Started a 10% taper Jan. 2014 and have been ok until Sept 14 and went through a short hell. Now plodding through and looking for the light with unrelenting insomnia and pain, fog, loss of interests....<p>12/20/14 - .8mg.

1/01/15 - .75 mg.

1/15/15 - .42 mg. better sleep now, hope it continues...

2/11-15 - .25 mg. doing really good!! 2 weeks feel 85% of old me!

3/17/15 .14 mg. Knee pain bad!

4/07/15 .05 mg. this is so small now that I am estimating and just licking it off palm small as a "." 

4/13/15 NOTHING !!!! Took my last little micro dose on 4/12/15. 

I buy fresh tumeric root from the Persian market near my house, I get a huge bag full for like $2.50. I use it in my smoothies and cooking. I honestly think the supplements and other turmeric wonder products are terribly overpriced..

• Moderator Emeritus

Topics merged.

I take this at times, and started taking it again recently for a stiff, sore knee, which then got better within a few days. It doesn't seem to effect withdrawal symptoms one way or the other though.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Seeing curcumin described as a weak MAOI, whats the potential of serotonin syndrome when combined with an ssri/snri? 

MEDS HISTORY

2004 hospitalized for acute alcohol induced psychosis and started on my psych drug merry-go-round.2004-2006 SSRI > SNRI Merry-go-round finally settled on Effexor. Also was started on Risperdal in 2004 but switched to seroquell after I had a bad reaction to it.2008. Was switched from Effexor to pristiq, Also managed to successfully Quit Seroquel Cold Turkey.Asenapine- 5mg- August 2014 ~ May 2015. Was put on for Social Anxiety, was great at first then started developing disabling side effects, did a rapid taper and so started my withdrawal nightmare...

MEDS CURRENT

Pristiq-100mg ~ Currently holding

Olanzapine- 3.75mg May 2015 ~ Currently tapering by -.06mg per week (Jan 2016, 3.5mg  ~Feb 2016 intractable insomnia updose to 3.75mg)

Quetiapine- 50mg June 2015  ~Dec 25 2015 Quit cold turkey. ~(Feb 6 2016 hit with intractable insomnia - reinstated 50mg.)

August 2016 : Became destabilised after messing around with cutting doses, trying THC oil etc eventually stabilised,

Held doses for 5 years.

January 2022: Hit poop out, struggling to get more than 3 hours sleep, been one week straight of pure hell, praying to hold on. 

• Moderator Emeritus

A study was done to find out if Curcumin enhanced the antidepressant effects of escitalopram or venlafaxine. Patients were given 500mg of curcumin along with an antidepressant. None of the subjects complained of any adverse effect during the study.

Perhaps if you were to take a high enough dose of curcumin with your antidepressant it might cause serotonin syndrome, but at normal doses it doesn't seem to cause any problems. If you were going to try it, maybe take it apart from your Pristiq just to be safe.

But as with all supplements, start with a very small dose and build up slowly to see how it will effect you.

Curcumin as an add-on to antidepressive treatment: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, pilot clinical study.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone had any success using turmeric curcumin in helping curb SSRI withdrawal and mood regulation in general? I've been using 5-htp, but my doctor recommended dose of 600mg per day seems to be too high (going down to 300mg, woke up at 1pm today, napped from 2-530 and I'm still exhausted). I know curcumin is a potent antioxidant and therefore is good for system detox.

Age 6-8: Luvox    Age 7-9: clonidine

Age 7-14: Ritalin, Adderall, other stims

Age 15-18: 20mg Celexa, 300mg Wellbutrin, 1mg Tenex 2x a day, 50mg Seroquel.

Quit all meds cold turkey at age 18 (2014), causing serious anxiety, emotional blunting, dysphoria, lack of concentration, fatigue. It’s been a long journey, but not every part of every day is painful anymore.

• 4 weeks later...

So, to improve bioavailability you have to take Turmeric with some oil/fat and freshly ground pepper? Is that correct? I have regular plain Turmeric in capsules. I want to use it for its neuro regenerating properties. Trying to add supplements that can help my brain heal. 

I suffer from depression, anxiety, pure-o ocd, and panic attacks since 2004. Been on multiple different psychiatric drugs since 2006. Never had a significant WD problem before, only brain zaps for a month and then I'd be fine...............Been on Cipralex (escitalopram) 15 mg and Fluanxol (flupentixol) 1 mg since Sep 2014. Stopped taking the Cipralex after a fast 20-day taper.Took the last 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 5th, 2015. Then took Seroxat (paroxetine) 10 mg for a week, and stopped it too. Severe WD started suddenly on Feb 16th. RI 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 18th, 2015. RI worked and was relatively stable for a while................April 7 - decreased Fluanxol from 1 mg to 0.5 mg and took it at this dose for a week. - BIG MISTAKE; April 13 - WD starts creeping in; April 14 - RI full dose of Fluanxol 1 mg => severe muscle twitching and jerking when trying to relax and fall asleep, overwhelming sense of doom, dread, terror, and horror, insomnia, hoping to stabilize.
Tried doing a 10% cut off Fluanxol in the end of May for a few days, but quickly updosed to full dose because the twitching returned.
Experiencing waves and windows in the following months.
Unsuccessful brief taper attempt of Fluanxol by 5% on November 1st. Symptoms hit the next day. Too scared to continue tapering, reinstate full dose.
Severe crash in November after stupidly trying a barbiturate on November 9th. Grave mistake. Sense of unshakable inescapable internal torture, like my soul is in hell being tortured, terror/horror/dread/doom (probably akathisia?) that gets especially bad when trying to relax and fall asleep, muscles twitch, jerk and move on their own, shaking, insomnia, can't eat, confusion, disorientation, brain not working normally. Never felt so bad in my entire life. Never experiment with other meds while in WD! Praying to God I stabilize and get back to my baseline.
December - things getting even worse.

January - unbearable suffering

That is correct. I recommend drinking "Turemric Golden Milk". I used to drink it for quite some time. It was very yum. :) 

1st short round: from 2012 april ~ july 

Sertraline 50mg with 1mg Larazepam fast wd few problems

2013 may - 2014 january:  75mg Effexor XR +  1mg Rivotril + 10mg Ambien(zolpidem)

2014 january ~ june :        150mg Effexor XR +  2mg Rivotril    cold turkeyed both almost at the same time (crazy wd of course)

two days after cold turkey of Effexor I started 10mg of Lexapro for around a month then did a fast taper (for some days took little Ambien to combat wd)

Reinstated to 1mg of Klonopin on 2015.04.23  took the 1mg total for 10 days.  I did in three divided doses 0.25 morning + 0.25 afternoon + 0.5 before sleep.  

Now: 1 mgs total K, divided into .75 night .25 day

Started taking 3mg Lamictal on 05.07...... Slowly tiltrated up to 6mg....

I've read about saffron but didn't ever try it. The research had me convinced and I'm glad it is working for you. Turmeric too looks like the real deal and it is the one food I know of that is accepted in science as anti-cancer. (My sister, mother, and I have all had cancer, but none of my grandmothers did.) Ginseng I'd been warned about, and I will heed alwayslookup's experience with it.

2009: Cancer hospital said I had adjustment disorder because I thought they were doing it wrong. Their headshrinker prescribed Effexor, and my life set on a new course. I didn't know what was ahead, like a passenger on Disneyland's Matterhorn, smiling and waving as it climbs...clink, clink, clink.

2010: Post surgical accidental Effexor discontinuation by nurses, masked by intravenous Dilaudid. (The car is balanced at the top of the track.) I get home, pop a Vicodin, and ...

Whooosh...down, down, down, down, down...goes the trajectory of my life, up goes my mood and tendency to think everything is a good idea.
2012: After the bipolar jig was up, now a walking bag of unrelated symptoms, I went crazy on Daytrana (the Ritalin skin patch by Noven), because ADHD was a perfect fit for a bag of unrelated symptoms. I was prescribed Effexor for the nervousness of it, and things got neurological. An EEG showed enough activity to warrant an epilepsy diagnosis rather than non-epileptic ("psychogenic") seizures.

:o 2013-2014: Quit everything and got worse. I probably went through DAWS: dopamine agonist withdrawal syndrome. I drank to not feel, but I felt a lot: dread, fear, regret, grief: an utter sense of total loss of everything worth breathing about, for almost two years.

I was not suicidal but I wanted to be dead, at least dead to the experience of my own brain and body.

2015: I  began to recover after adding virgin coconut oil and organic grass-fed fed butter to a cup of instant coffee in the morning.

I did it hoping for mental acuity and better memory. After ten days of that, I was much better, mood-wise. Approximately neutral.

And, I experienced drowsiness. I could sleep. Not exactly happy, I did 30 days on Wellbutrin, because it had done me no harm in the past. 

I don't have the DAWS mood or state of mind. It never feel like doing anything if it means standing up.

In fact, I don't especially like moving. I'm a brain with a beanbag body.   :unsure:

• 1 month later...

Can anyone attest to any benefits from taking turmeric? There have been some small scale studies suggesting turmeric as an effective alternative to anti-depressants.

Has anyone tried this?

Vaulted on to 20mg Lexapro in 2004.

Consistently on until 2009, roughly.

Stopped, cold turkey. <----naïve, didn't know any better. :(

Experienced irritability, dysphoria, and - you guessed it - depression.

Went off and on, on and off for a while.

Experimented with Wellbutrin and Zoloft.

On 10mg fluoxetine hcl for the last 2 years.

I believe my erratic medication behavior has compounded my

depression 10 fold, and has made it very hard to live without

AD's. Have gone 2 years without them before, and had to

return. It's that bad.

I am taking this for memory and believe it helps a little x

May 2012 Olanzapine and other anti depressants. Don't know what they were.  Sertraline, Flupentixol, Sodium Valporate, Depixol, Lithium, Piportal, Mirtazapine, Lamotrogine, Venlafaxine, Respirodol ECT x 7. Don't know the dates of any of these medications because I can't remember and I have no idea of the doses either. Am no longer on any meds. Take Cod liver oil, Omega 3, B1, Sepia. Still in rehab under section 3 in the UK.   I have access to my phone and the house phone and email.

Symptoms 110bpm, memory loss, severe anhedonia, no motivation, poor sleep, loss of hobbies and interests including music.  Things that have come back are appetite and feeling the cold and my muscles.

Nothings gonna hurt me with my eyes shut, I can see through them, I can see through them - Years and Years 2015

I believe tumeric could be a wonder spice. I need to try it out. Ive heard its tough to absorb so I am not sure what form to consume it in. Ive tried teas which taste good. I don't think it works right away. It may take a good month or two at a certain dose to feel the effects. I am so optimistic about it because of the success I've had with ginger in relation to my gut.

Was on 30mg (Lexapro) for 7-8yrs20mg for 3 months (This was my choice my Doc wanted me to drop much faster)15 mg 2week10mg 2 weeks 5 mg 1 week0 since August 24th . PPI Dexlant  30 mg taper has begun. Cutting 20% currently.  using zantac as needed.  Benzo is currently 0.10mg 

I take half a teaspoon of turmeric paste 3 times a day. I know some people who are way into turmeric and they say the capsules are not worth taking. Instead you make your own paste out of high quality organic turmeric, water, coconut oil and black pepper. Google golden paste and I'm sure you'll find a recipe. Anyway, I'm a total mess so I can't say it's done anything for my mental health, but it has so many benefits for the body that I keep taking it.

Trying to get off Paxil since 2007. Was tapering by 0.1 mg every 4-5 weeks. Had awful crash in November 2015 at .5 mg; updosed gradually to 2 mg. 

Doing better and tapering again, much slower this time.  2016: Dropped from 2 mg to 1.62 mg.  2017:  1.62 mg to 1.2 mg. 2018: 1.2 mg to .76 mg. 2019: .76 mg to .56 mg. 2020: .56 mg to .33 mg. 2021: .33 mg to .13 mg. 2022: .13 mg to .03 mg. 6/12/23 .002 mg. OFF PAXIL 9/4/23

Started Klonopin in November 2015 to deal with crash. 1/10/16 started milk titration taper from .5 mg. Finished taper 12/6/17. Still take Klonopin for agoraphobia 2 - 3 times a week. 

My turmeric drink I take up to 7 times a day/Night.
Ad some pepper and coconut oil with it - then it works better

Is super easy to make....

Ingredients
2 liters of water
200 grams of ginger
2 Organic lemons
2 tbsp. eco cane
(possibly . 3-4 cm . turmeric which gives the beautiful color and is very healthy including substance curcumin ) .
Procedure:
Peel the ginger and cut into slices
Cut whole lemons into slices must . Therefore eco - lemons.
Water, ginger, lemon , (possibly . Turmeric ) and sugar is boiled for 45 minutes.
Si and cool . Come then bottled .
Drink 2-4 oz. per day to the anti-inflammatory effect.

I'm here for my daughter - Martine
She is 20 years old and the diagnose off OCD, she got when she was 8 years old. She has "only" been taking sertraline for a year. She has always been strong and manged her OCD very well with out meds. But last year it was to much - so .... Well you know how that goes if you go to the doc...

She is not that good in writing in English (nor I am I, so if I say something that sounds funny.... bear with me... )

2014 - 2015 Sertraline 100 mg

Plan on tapering slowly (10 - 5 %)

Needs advice on how to measure the pill and the math behind it!

• Moderator Emeritus

I use turmeric and honey paste for a sore throat , but recently read the following.

"  Recent studies  have found that a compound in black pepper called piperine makes the cancer-fighting curcumin in turmeric as much as 1,000 times more bioavailable. Without piperine,  bioavailability of turmeric is really low. In a study published in the Breast Cancer Research and Treatment Journal, researchers discovered that curcumin and piperine, when combined, were able to target cancer stem cells.

Reduces Pain and Inflammation.  Piperine and Curcumin compounds have been shown to influence more than 700 genes, and it can inhibit both the activity and the synthesis of cyclooxygenase-2 (COX2) and 5-lipooxygenase (5-LOX), as well as other enzymes that have been implicated in inflammation.

Natural antidepressant. Active compounds in both turmeric and black pepper have potential anti-depressant effects. These compounds can raise the levels of serotonin and dopamine in the brain and  inhibit monoamine oxidase, an enzyme which is linked to depression if found in the brain in high levels."

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

I wonder if turmeric (curcumin) is contraindicated for people already on meds, such as taking 5-HTP while on an SSRI.

Drug interaction checker says to consult pharmacist.

Better steer clear of it 'til I'm off... :)

Vaulted on to 20mg Lexapro in 2004.

Consistently on until 2009, roughly.

Stopped, cold turkey. <----naïve, didn't know any better. :(

Experienced irritability, dysphoria, and - you guessed it - depression.

Went off and on, on and off for a while.

Experimented with Wellbutrin and Zoloft.

On 10mg fluoxetine hcl for the last 2 years.

I believe my erratic medication behavior has compounded my

depression 10 fold, and has made it very hard to live without

AD's. Have gone 2 years without them before, and had to

return. It's that bad.

• 4 months later...

I've been taking  1800 mg curcumin for about six months. It definitely has helped with arthritis and my mood also seems improved.

Hi

I was really interested in your post about arthritis.

I too am reducing from Prozac. Currently on 6.8 ml.

I have experienced pains in my joints restless legs, lower back pain . This was one of the reasons I initially wanted to get off of ADs as I attributed it to side effects.

I have had an investigation of the pain in my hips and been told I have arthritis of the hips and awaiting a hip replacement.

Do you think this is yet another aspect of withdrawal. I wouldn't believe it except I saw the X-ray.

Dec 2005 prozac following period of bullying by collegue 2006 changed to Citalapram 20- increased to 40mg

April 2014 decision to come off A.D. Gp appointment swapped to seralatine (lustral)50 as a means of getting off A.D .

raised to 100. 14.7.14 5 weeks taper on doctors recommendation.28th July finished reduction. 4.8.14- 9.9.14 severe withdrawal effects. 13.10.14 reinstatement of 20mg Prozac.dec 2014 started gradual taper 10% every 3 weeks. 14.9.15 1.6 ml currently. Some minor withdrawal effects but holding firm. 10% reduction every 3 weeks. Reached .8 experienced withdrawal symptoms held for longer . 7.4.16 currently on .7ml Prozac. More difficult the lower you go. 25.7.16 holding at .57 ml for a while as period of stress and withdrawal.

2.9.16 Hip operation prescribed codeine and paracetamol for the pain. Stopped after three weeks for fear of addiction. following period of instability and withdrawal symptoms updosed to 1. Ml 28.10.16.

• 2 months later...

I'm a little concerned about this comment. I take Curcumin BCM-95 for Spondylolisthesis, otherwise a strong pharma anti inflammatory would be required.

"BCM-95 is a 95% extract that has been processed to add the essential oils naturally contained in parts of turmeric to greatly increase the absorption of the curcuminoids. It does this without bioperine. There are several studies showing greatly increased absorption with this form of turmeric extract and, additionally, this is a common form selected and used by clinical researchers because it is known to absorb well and is easy to detect in pharmacokinetic lab draws being conducted in the studies. There are several companies who developed their own patented methods of increasing the bioavailability of the curcuminoids and all of them claim superiority. There is one study, funded and conducted by the owners of BCM-95. I personally favor BCM-95 in this instance because I believe that part of the mechanism that bioperine increases the bioavailability of curcuminoids is by inhibiting hepatic (liver) enzymes that break down various compounds including biologically active constituents in herbs but also pharmaceuticals and toxins. Its very non-discriminatory in it's action in that regard and if you take products with it and then take other herbs or pharmaceuticals, you could potentially affect the absorption of those substances."

I'm wondering how far apart from other meds/supplements that Curcumin should be taken if this is true?

Effexor XR 300 (brand) mg & various SSRIs 15 yrs (Effexor XR 300 mg past 10 yrs

Clonazepam, 1.0 mg. am, .5 mg pm. - 15 yrs, 7-17-16- Began .5 three times a day

Vyvanse 60 mg, - 2 yrs, Cut to 50 mg for 6 mths, Cut to 30 mg. on 4-1-16. Tapering.

Approx. 4-1-15 began Effexor XR 300 taper, very slowly for a year. Held at 37.5 for about 3 mths. Cut to 18 mg for 2 wks to 0. WD began 2 wks later. Depression, anxiety, paranoia, low appetite, nausea.

7-14-16-Reinstated 5 beads Effx after 4 mths misery.Pooped out 10 days.

9-12-16-to present- Wide eyed terror, bedridden fear, no appetite/feeling of being full.

10-30-16- Began 15% liquid tapering of 30 mg Vyvanse. (25 mg)

11-13-16- Liquid Vyvanse 22 mg,11-27-16- Liquid 15 mg, 12-12-16- Vyvanse 12.5 for 5 days. 12-16 - 12-29, 15 mg.

11-20-16- Switched back to 1.0 clonazepam am & .5 bedtime

12-30-16- Moved to 15 mg COMPOUNDED Vyvanse.Current 4/11-4/25 7.5 mg.(10% ev 2 wks) Off Vyvanse

Current meds:Effexor XR- 3 Beads, Clonazepam-1.0 mg am, .5 mg bedtime,Vyvanse-(tapering) Estradiol- 2

mg,Progesterone 200 mg,Testosterone 30 mg/ml,Nature Throid- 48.75 mg.(12-21-16-65 mg.) (4-18-17-81.25 mg) Current supplements: Fish Oil-1360 mg, Curamin- 2706 mg.

Put it in your soup with pepper and onion, and habanero - voila! Problem solved.

Past AD Experiences : (Fluvoxamine 3 years, D/C'd @ age 15).

Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it

~Terry Pratchett~

WITHDRAWAL REGIMEN/STORY

Originally for OCD, the luvox took about 6 months to taper off.

Withdrawal supplements; lemon balm, Vitamin B3, black water/fulvic acid, high-protein diet to restore neurotransmitters, aniracetam to counter memory issues, deprenyl for persisting anhedonia.

Regimen still maintained til this day. Lemon balm, generally as capsules, however, as I suffer chronic Insomnia, I often use essential oil or as aromatherapy before bed , in combination with magnesium and lysine on bad nights.

• 1 month later...

Put it in your soup with pepper and onion, and habanero - voila! Problem solved.

But, from what I read on this thread and what I quoted above says that if it contains black pepper or piperine like ingredients, it will cause other meds or supplements to become ineffective.

Not a good idea while tapering.

Vyvanse 60 mg, - 2 yrs, Cut to 50 mg for 6 mths, Cut to 30 mg. on 4-1-16. Tapering.

Approx. 4-1-15 began Effexor XR 300 taper, very slowly for a year. Held at 37.5 for about 3 mths. Cut to 18 mg for 2 wks to 0. WD began 2 wks later. Depression, anxiety, paranoia, low appetite, nausea.

9-12-16-to present- Wide eyed terror, bedridden fear, no appetite/feeling of being full.

11-13-16- Liquid Vyvanse 22 mg,11-27-16- Liquid 15 mg, 12-12-16- Vyvanse 12.5 for 5 days. 12-16 - 12-29, 15 mg.

12-30-16- Moved to 15 mg COMPOUNDED Vyvanse.Current 4/11-4/25 7.5 mg.(10% ev 2 wks) Off Vyvanse

Current meds:Effexor XR- 3 Beads, Clonazepam-1.0 mg am, .5 mg bedtime,Vyvanse-(tapering) Estradiol- 2

mg,Progesterone 200 mg,Testosterone 30 mg/ml,Nature Throid- 48.75 mg.(12-21-16-65 mg.) (4-18-17-81.25 mg) Current supplements: Fish Oil-1360 mg, Curamin- 2706 mg.

• Moderator Emeritus

There is one study, funded and conducted by the owners of BCM-95. I personally favor BCM-95 in this instance because I believe that part of the mechanism that bioperine increases the bioavailability of curcuminoids is by inhibiting hepatic (liver) enzymes that break down various compounds including biologically active constituents in herbs but also pharmaceuticals and toxins. Its very non-discriminatory in it's action in that regard and if you take products with it and then take other herbs or pharmaceuticals, you could potentially affect the absorption of those substances."

I don't know if this is true or not, but there are several alternatives to adding black pepper (piperine)

https://examine.com/supplements/curcumin/

For any systemic purpose (requiring absorption from the intestines), then an oral supplementation of curcumin in the range of 80-500mg would be required assuming an enhancement. Curcumin is poorly absorbed inherently, and one of the following is mandatory:

• Pairing curcumin with Black Pepper (piperine)

• Curcumin phytosomes complexed with Phosphatidylcholine (Meriva or BCM-95)

• Curcumin nanoparticles (THERACURMIN)

• Water-soluble curcumin (polyvinyl pyrrolidone)

If one of the above enhancements are not used, then too little curcumin will be absorbed and even doses of up to 4,000mg may be wholly inactive (8-16g would only be slightly active).

If using curcumin for intestinal purposes, then absorption from the intestines into the blood is not necessarily required. Due to this, one can simply use Turmeric at the dose of 2-4g daily or take curcumin supplementation without any of the aforementioned enhancements.

I've been taking a mixed curcumin/piperine supplement for about a year, not knowing if it was actually helping with anything. I ran out about a month ago, and didn't reorder. But since then I've slowly been feeling worse and certainly having an increase in pain type symptoms. So I just reordered, I'm trying the 'Theracurmin' type this time. Its all quite expensive, not like buying magnesium.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

But, from what I read on this thread and what I quoted above says that if it contains black pepper or piperine like ingredients, it will cause other meds or supplements to become ineffective.

Not a good idea while tapering.

Nope, piperine/black pepper actually 'enhances' the bioavailability and delivery of other nutrients/drugs.

Planta Med. 1998 May;64(4):353-6.
Influence of piperine on the pharmacokinetics of curcumin in animals and human volunteers.
Abstract

The medicinal properties of curcumin obtained from Curcuma longa L. cannot be utilised because of poor bioavailability due to its rapid metabolism in the liver and intestinal wall. In this study, the effect of combining piperine, a known inhibitor of hepatic and intestinal glucuronidation, was evaluated on the bioavailability of curcumin in rats and healthy human volunteers. When curcumin was given alone, in the dose 2 g/kg to rats, moderate serum concentrations were achieved over a period of 4 h. Concomitant administration of piperine 20 mg/kg increased the serum concentration of curcumin for a short period of 1-2 h post drug. Time to maximum was significantly increased (P < 0.02) while elimination half life and clearance significantly decreased (P < 0.02), and the bioavailability was increased by 154%. On the other hand in humans after a dose of 2 g curcumin alone, serum levels were either undetectable or very low. Concomitant administration of piperine 20 mg produced much higher concentrations from 0.25 to 1 h post drug (P < 0.01 at 0.25 and 0.5 h; P < 0.001 at 1 h), the increase in bioavailability was 2000%. The study shows that in the dosages used, piperine enhances the serum concentration, extent of absorption and bioavailability of curcumin in both rats and humans with no adverse effects.

PMID:   9619120   DOI:   10.1055/s-2006-957450
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Past AD Experiences : (Fluvoxamine 3 years, D/C'd @ age 15).

Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it

~Terry Pratchett~

WITHDRAWAL REGIMEN/STORY

Originally for OCD, the luvox took about 6 months to taper off.

Withdrawal supplements; lemon balm, Vitamin B3, black water/fulvic acid, high-protein diet to restore neurotransmitters, aniracetam to counter memory issues, deprenyl for persisting anhedonia.

Regimen still maintained til this day. Lemon balm, generally as capsules, however, as I suffer chronic Insomnia, I often use essential oil or as aromatherapy before bed , in combination with magnesium and lysine on bad nights.

I'd try this plant, for its anti-inflammatory properties. but I heard that some people have had erectile dysfunction by it, this is true or is only a urban lengend?

2001, Amisulpride (deniban) - 3 months, I taper in some weeks

2001, Seroquel, 4 weeks - quit cold turkey, 2001. Efexxor,  one pill adverse reaction

2002. Amitryptaline (mutabon mite) - 4 months, I taper really faster in some weeks

around more 10 years drug free

4 December 2013, 7 drops of citalopram , adverse reaction

December    2013, Italian supplement called serenplus with tryptophan, 9 pills adverse reaction, quit cold turkey.

After December 2013, Im drug free.

There is one study, funded and conducted by the owners of BCM-95. I personally favor BCM-95 in this instance because I believe that part of the mechanism that bioperine increases the bioavailability of curcuminoids is by inhibiting hepatic (liver) enzymes that break down various compounds including biologically active constituents in herbs but also pharmaceuticals and toxins. Its very non-discriminatory in it's action in that regard and if you take products with it and then take other herbs or pharmaceuticals, you could potentially affect the absorption of those substances."

I don't know if this is true or not, but there are several alternatives to adding black pepper (piperine)

https://examine.com/supplements/curcumin/

For any systemic purpose (requiring absorption from the intestines), then an oral supplementation of curcumin in the range of 80-500mg would be required assuming an enhancement. Curcumin is poorly absorbed inherently, and one of the following is mandatory:

• Pairing curcumin with Black Pepper (piperine)

• Curcumin phytosomes complexed with Phosphatidylcholine (Meriva or BCM-95)

• Curcumin nanoparticles (THERACURMIN)

• Water-soluble curcumin (polyvinyl pyrrolidone)

If one of the above enhancements are not used, then too little curcumin will be absorbed and even doses of up to 4,000mg may be wholly inactive (8-16g would only be slightly active).

If using curcumin for intestinal purposes, then absorption from the intestines into the blood is not necessarily required. Due to this, one can simply use Turmeric at the dose of 2-4g daily or take curcumin supplementation without any of the aforementioned enhancements.

I've been taking a mixed curcumin/piperine supplement for about a year, not knowing if it was actually helping with anything. I ran out about a month ago, and didn't reorder. But since then I've slowly been feeling worse and certainly having an increase in pain type symptoms. So I just reordered, I'm trying the 'Theracurmin' type this time. Its all quite expensive, not like buying magnesium.

I'm staying with the BCM-95 form for now. Just don't want to risk the integrity of the 5 beads of Effexor during my taper.

• 2 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

https://www.madinamerica.com/2016/11/study-finds-spice-curcumin-fights-depression/

A new study, published online ahead of print in the Journal of Affective Disorders, finds that the spice curcumin, a derivative of turmeric, may be an effective treatment for depression. The study was a randomized, placebo-controlled trial (the gold standard methodology for medication studies). The researchers found that curcumin was better than a placebo treatment, and those with atypical depression were far more likely to improve.

The use of curcumin appeared especially effective for those with atypical depression. Atypical depression, despite its name, is relatively common (around 40% of MDD cases). The “atypical” moniker refers to its particular features: excessive sleep, weight gain, mood improvement in response to positive events, heavy, immovable feelings in the limbs, and interpersonal rejection sensitivity. Atypical depression is considered to have a more chronic course, with worse outcomes overall, so the potential for a viable treatment with fewer side effects than current medications provides hope for an improved prognosis.

Emphasis on minimal side effects.

However, in 2014, researchers studied curcumin in a head-to-head trial against fluoxetine (Prozac) and found that they both improved depressive symptoms. There was statistically no difference between the effects of Prozac and the effects of curcumin. In addition, the potential benefit of curcumin over current pharmacotherapy treatments is its almost nonexistent side-effect profile.

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

• 4 months later...

I keep hearing about turmeric lately and coincidentally it is apparently helpful for a skin condition I believe I have that caused me fatigue which I think is a huge part of why I got put on AD and diagnosed "depressed".

Tonight on a radio show they were talking about turmeric and mentioned that turmeric milk is supposed to help with sleep?  I don't know if anyone mentioned it being helpful for sleep already here, I don't have time to read the full thread, I should be in bed right now...But if anyone tried it for that can you post your experience?

Also they are suggesting taking wild turmeric, it's supposedly more effective. 

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

I was all for taking turmeric.  Went for a fairly wellknown brand here, but had to return it for refund.

AM PRONE TO INDIGESTION (took 10mg PPI for decades, but off them for a few months now) SO WOULD ADVISE ANYONE WITH SIMILAR GASTRIC COMPLAINT TO BE WARY.

Born 1945. 

1999 - First Effexor/Venlafaxine

2016 Withdrawal research. Effexor.  13Jul - 212.5mg;  6Aug - 200.0mg;  24Aug - 187.5mg;  13Sep - 175.0mg;  3Oct - 162.5mg;  26Oct - 150mg 

2017  9Jan - 150.00mg;  23Mar - 137.50mg;  24Apr - 125.00mg;  31May - 112.50mg holding;  3Sep - 100.00mg;  20Sep - 93.75mg;  20Oct - 87.5mg;  12Nov - 81.25mg;  13 Dec - 75.00mg

2018  18Jan - 69.1mg; 16Feb - 62.5mg; 16March - 57.5mg (-8%); 22Apr - 56.3mg(-2%); CRASHED - Updose 29May - 62.5mg; Updose - 1Jul - 75.0mg. Updose - 2Aug - 87.5mg. Updose - 27Aug - 100.0mg. Updose - 11Oct 112.5mg. Updose - 6Nov 125.00mg

2019 Updoses 19 Jan - 150.0mg. 1April - 162.5mg. 24 April - Feeling better - doing tasks, getting outside.  7 May - usual depression questionnaire gives "probably no depression" result.

Supps/Vits  Omega 3;  Chelated Magnesium;  Prebiotics/Probiotics, Vit D3. 

Thank you peng for your input. I was just telling someone I know who has arthritis I'd read that they use turmeric for it but as he has some stomach issues will advise him to skip it then.

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

• 3 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

I had stomach issues with turmeric - the key piece is that it's meant to be taken with food, as it needs to be absorbed with fat.  

So I moved the turmeric to the times when I can take it with food.  I was getting some esophagus and stomach upset when I took it on an empty stomach.  I also match it to my fish oil, so that there's a little extra oil to help my body absorb the turmeric.

Also - this just in from Consumer labs:

Turmeric is metabolized in the CYP3A4, so may conflict with a number of drugs, including (but not limited to):  midazolam, fentanyl, lidocaine, cisapride, losartan, fexofenadine, omeprazole, ondansetron.  Sorry I am not naming brand names - but you are responsible for the drugs you take!  More conflicts include blood pressure drugs like:  felodipine, amlodipine, and calcium channel blockers like:  dilitiazem, nicardipine, verapimil.  Also included in this CYP3A4 list is antibiotic rifampin.   There have been no human studies on these conflicts, so use caution and pay attention to your symptoms if you think you have a liver enzyme conflict with turmeric. 

Most turmeric is combined with piperine (black pepper) to enhance absorption.  Piperine also utilizes the CYP3A4 enzyme, and may act as an enhancer to (the example given was 20 mg piperine over 10 days was enough to cause an effect)  carbemazepine (anti-seizure) and diclofenac (NSAID).  Piperine may also increase blood levels of drugs metabolized on the CYP1A1 site, which would increase levels of chlorzoxazone (muscle relaxant), theophylline (bronchodilator), rifampin and burforalol (antibiotics).  Also, because of blood thinning effects, piperine should be used with caution for people taking blood thinning medications.

While the benefits of turmeric may outweigh the risks of these conflicts - it is up to you to pay attention and ensure that you are not getting symptoms from your drugs.

Another question that I've seen here on SA is about the MAOI activity of turmeric.  Consumer Labs reports that there is mild MAOI activity, but only when given intravenously at high doses in animal testing.  The absorption rate from taking it orally is so low as to make it difficult to take in enough to cause this MAOI effect.  So you do not need to follow an "MAOI diet" while on turmeric unless you are injecting high doses of it!  There was one death from IV infusion of Turmeric, so this method is not recommended.

All of this was tediously summarized and extracted from a Consumer Labs report on Turmeric.  I strongly recommend that anyone spending more than $30 a month on supplements of any kind will greatly benefit from joining Consumer Labs and reading their reports.  Consumer Labs  I am not affiliated with Consumer Labs in any way, other than as a member who reads the reports.

• 1 year later...

I took a Curcumin supplement yesterday along with Piperine to aid absorption. I took it in the morning with breakfast. Last night I had the worst anxiety that I have had in a while. I still have some residual anxiety this morning. I am so disappointed after all the glowing reports that I have read on the supplement. I can’t be 100% sure that it’s the Curcumin. It could just be withdrawals from my Dothiepin. I will leave it for a couple of days and then try again. 

I do think that I am very sensitive to supplements. Anything seems to trigger anxiety. I  took tribulis terrestrial for years and then could not tolerate it any longer after having no problems for a long time. All this while on my ad. MSM was another supplement that I could not tolerate. They all seems to heighten my anxiety. 

Dosulepin 75 mgs per night since 1993.           Dosulepin March 16  2018   75mgs and 50 mgs alternate nights.             Dosulepin. March 30. 2018.  50 mgs per night

Dosulepin. May 2. 2018. 50mgs and 25 mgs alternate nights

Dosulepin. May 27 2018. 50 mgs per night ( increased )

Dosulepin. July 11 2018. 45 mgs per night

Dosulepin. August 13 2018  40 mgs per night

Dosulepin  October 10 2018. 37.5 mgs per night

Dosulepin. October. 24 2018. 35 mgs per night

Dosulepin. December 5 2018. 32.5 mgs per night

Dosulepin.  January 2. 2018  30mgs per night   February 14 2018  29 mgs per night

Dosulepin February 27  28 mgs per night

• 4 months later...

I have recently been reading articles online about how studies have been done on curcumin, which is the ingredient in tumeric. The studies conclude that taking curcumin for about 8 weeks works the same as  Prozac, but without the side effects. Next week I’m going to start taking the exact brand of curcumin that was used in the study. It is made by Progressive Labs and it is curcumin BCM-95. You can order it online at Pure Formula website. I’m going to continue taking 10 mg of citalopram as I start taking the curcumin. I have no idea if this is going to work, but even some of the medical websites state that it works for depression. Has anyone tried this?  I’d be interested in hearing your story if so. Good luck to all. It’s been years of hell. I would appreciate any comments. Thanks. 

Began citalopram approx. 1998. 

Tapered for about two months or so in about 2015. Stayed completely off med for three months. 

Went back on med after that three months,  so it was still sometime in 2015. 

Tapered for about 6 months starting in May 2017. Stopped med in mid November 2017. 

Started taking about 1 milligram again today, January 22, 2018, hoping to stop suicidal thoughts, etc..  

I have been trying this longvida curcumin and think might have helped me. It is quite expensive though. also have turmeric in curries etc

https://ndnr.com/products-and-services/longvida-optimized-curcumin-found-to-improve-cognitive-function-and-mood/

Fluoxetine 20mg a day, (mornings) Amitryptilline 10-50mg (evenings) for last two years (usually lowest dose of the latter) Previously on and off Fluoxetine since 1999. Off completely for pregnancies in 200s with no problems but recently more difficult to withdraw.End 2018 Tapered to 10mg Fluoxetine (am) and 10mg Amitryptilline (evening)Co-codomol 30/500 prescribed (one to two tabs 6 hrly as required for pain)

Start Jan 2019 5mg Fluoxetine mornings. Stopped amitryptilline.

6th Feb 2019 Stopped Fluoxetine, 2 X 425mg St Johns Wort daily. 

9th Feb 2019 Reinstated 5mg Prozac, stopped SJW due to headaches and upset tummy.

10th Feb 2019 Started using liquid diluted Prozac and syringe, dividing doses (2 X 2.5ml) = 5mg daily

12th Feb 2019 Stopped prozac after even small doses seem to be causing a bad reaction.

17th Feb 2019 Started taking single dose 425mg SJW mornings 

Also taking supplements: Multivitamin, Longvida Curcumin 500mg a day, Magnesium Citrate 500mg/day, Magnesium L-threonate 50mg/day, Omega 3 (with Vit E) 1000mg/day, Vitamin D3 20000IU

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy