SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Lilu: Depression worsened by meds

Lilu

• Moderator Emeritus

The literature about recurrent depression is quite suggestive that the more episodes someone has, the less stimulus is needed to bring an episode on - perhaps depression sensitises the nervous system - and perhaps antidepressants do something similar, considering that an antidepressant is quite a sledgehammer to the nervous system.

That rings true with me too. I can almost back it in that if I experience any kind of major loss or grief, I will plunge into a depression that only medication can lift me out of. This has happened 4 times in my life.

even at the 10% per month rate, when i get to about 15mg (3 times now) i have had acute anxiety and depression that is only relieved when i increase my dose. I was not willing to tough it out because i don't wish to expose my nervous system to the stress of withdrawal OR depression.

Same with me, except I don't experience depression, but other debilitating withdrawal symptoms like insomnia and obsessive thoughts.

July 2001 prescribed 20mg citalopram for depression;
On and off meds from 2003-2006.
February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
By far the worst withdrawal symptoms ever. Reinstated to 20mg citalopram
October 2012 - found this forum!
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.
March 2016 - close to 100% back to normal!

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******

• Administrator

oaklily, my own theory is that the nervous system bravely maintains a homeostasis after discontinuation of the drug, but slowly loses its grip if the receptors do not upregulate fast enough. Hypersensitivity plays a role in this, too.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

This is kind of where i am at the moment. Unable to get off Effexor as when i reduce - even at the 10% per month rate, when i get to about 15mg (3 times now) i have had acute anxiety and depression that is only relieved when i increase my dose. I was not willing to tough it out because i don't wish to expose my nervous system to the stress of withdrawal OR depression.

Why keep going back to Effexor? Why not try another drug? Effexor really is the evil drug. When I switched from Effexor to Pristiq, I experienced no side effects and felt so much happier. At least for 4 months, after that the happy feeling subsided. And Pristiq was just allowing me to function. Lexapro seems to be pretty smooth so far, but not without some side effects.

I would like to see more people try Cranial Electrotherapy. The Clinical studies that have been done with Alpha Stim show it to be very effective for various mental states. I would think anxiety would be something much easier to deal with than depression. Because it's an agitated state, and there are so many natural ways that one can calm themselves and relax. Like hypnotherapy, deep breathing, etc. I used to have a lot of anxiety when I was younger. I didn't know how to deal with it, so it just lasted for days or weeks on end, like a pit in my stomach. Eventually I learned that anxiety is a feeling that usually masks other feelings. And if I go inside and really feel the anxiety, it will lead me to what's lurking underneath. But of course, drug induced anxiety is different. All I'm saying, is maybe if you arm yourself with other "tools" it might be easier to go off Effexor.

2005-2008: Effexor; 1/2008 Tapered 3 months, then quit. 7/2008-2009 Reinstated Effexor (crying spells at start of new job.)
2009-3/2013: Switched to Pristiq 50 mg then 100 mg
3/2013: Switched to Lexapro 10mg. Cut down to 5 mg. CT for 2 weeks then reinstated for 6 weeks
8/2013-8/2014: Tapering Lexapro (Lots of withdrawal symptoms)
11/2014 -8/2015: Developed severe insomnia and uncontrollable daily crying spells
12/2014-6/2015: Tried Ambien, Klonopin, Ativan, Lunesta, Sonata, Trazadone, Seroquel, Rameron, Gabapentin - Developed Anxiety disorder, PTSD, and Psychogenic Myoclonus
7/2015-1/2016: Reinstated Lexapro 2 mg (mild improvement, but crying spells still present)

1/2016-5/2017: Lexapro 5 mg ( helped a lot, but poor stress tolerance & depressive episodes)

5/20/2017 - Raised dose to Lexapro 10 mg due to lingering depression(Total of 2 failed tapers & severe PAWS)

9/11/2018 - Present: Still on 10 mg Lexapro and mostly recovered.(Anxiety still triggers Myoclonus.)

10/7/2022 - 20 mg Lexapro (brand only) Plus occasional Klonopin for anxiety and Ambien for insomnia.

• Moderator Emeritus

Well, Effexor works for me, Pristiq was way too stimulating for me, I didn't sleep for a week after 3 days of Pristiq and had crushing anxiety. Everyone's MMV, that's the thing with psych drugs, they are unpredictable. I don't think that any other AD would necessarily be any better, so why exposé myself to any more unknowns?

I would rather be off, but if I need to stay on long term low dose Effexor to stay well then so be it. I have only one life to live.

Started in 2000 - On 150mg most of the time, (but up to 225mg at highest dose for 6 months in the beginning)
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Back on effexor for another 9 months.
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - suddenly got depressed and anxious ++ again 3 or 4 months later.
Back on effexor - this time for 3 years
Reduced off over a month - 6 weeks later terrible anxiety - back on.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times - each time the period before the anxiety comes back got shorter and shorter
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg - crashed big time: back to 75mg where i sat for 2 years....

4th  March 2015 - 67.5mg;   31st March - 60mg;  24th April - 53mg; 13th May - 48mg; 26th May - 45mg;  9th June - 41mg; 1 July- 37.5mg; 20 July - 34mg; 11 August - 31mg; 1st Sept - 28mg;  1st Dec - 25.8mg;  28th Dec - 23.2mg; 23rd Jan-21.9mg; Feb 7th- 21mg; March 1st - 20.1mg, March 30th - 18mg

Ok, so here's a question for you all. Is this antidepressant withdrawal syndrome?

After I had been off Effexor for 5 months, I got a new job, but due to being unemployed for so long, I felt very very stressed about doing well, or something. I don't know, but I started having intense crying spells right before work, during work, I could barely function. I know the stress was from feeling so much pressure to do well. But I've never gotten so stressed out about a job and had these type of crying spells. (only after a breakup with a guy I was into.) I really didn't want to be there. I went back on Effexor because of this. I still don't know what happened. And why I "freaked" out like this.

Is this what you guys are talking about as far as having symptoms start after having been off medication for 3 months?

The thing is that I stabilized and did well both on the job and with my mood. But after I got laid off, I found myself inside a full-blown depression, despite being on 112.5 mg of Effexor.

2005-2008: Effexor; 1/2008 Tapered 3 months, then quit. 7/2008-2009 Reinstated Effexor (crying spells at start of new job.)
3/2013: Switched to Lexapro 10mg. Cut down to 5 mg. CT for 2 weeks then reinstated for 6 weeks
11/2014 -8/2015: Developed severe insomnia and uncontrollable daily crying spells
12/2014-6/2015: Tried Ambien, Klonopin, Ativan, Lunesta, Sonata, Trazadone, Seroquel, Rameron, Gabapentin - Developed Anxiety disorder, PTSD, and Psychogenic Myoclonus
7/2015-1/2016: Reinstated Lexapro 2 mg (mild improvement, but crying spells still present)

1/2016-5/2017: Lexapro 5 mg ( helped a lot, but poor stress tolerance & depressive episodes)

5/20/2017 - Raised dose to Lexapro 10 mg due to lingering depression(Total of 2 failed tapers & severe PAWS)

9/11/2018 - Present: Still on 10 mg Lexapro and mostly recovered.(Anxiety still triggers Myoclonus.)

10/7/2022 - 20 mg Lexapro (brand only) Plus occasional Klonopin for anxiety and Ambien for insomnia.

• Moderator Emeritus

perhaps. obviously no one can say for sure... regarding your depression after you were laid off - IMO, we shouldn't expect medication to stop intense feelings after loss, whether it is loss of a person, a job or whatever.

Started in 2000 - On 150mg most of the time, (but up to 225mg at highest dose for 6 months in the beginning)
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Back on effexor for another 9 months.
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - suddenly got depressed and anxious ++ again 3 or 4 months later.
Back on effexor - this time for 3 years
Reduced off over a month - 6 weeks later terrible anxiety - back on.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times - each time the period before the anxiety comes back got shorter and shorter
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg - crashed big time: back to 75mg where i sat for 2 years....

4th  March 2015 - 67.5mg;   31st March - 60mg;  24th April - 53mg; 13th May - 48mg; 26th May - 45mg;  9th June - 41mg; 1 July- 37.5mg; 20 July - 34mg; 11 August - 31mg; 1st Sept - 28mg;  1st Dec - 25.8mg;  28th Dec - 23.2mg; 23rd Jan-21.9mg; Feb 7th- 21mg; March 1st - 20.1mg, March 30th - 18mg

My answer is YES. These drugs (including benzos) blunt all emotions, making stress easier to handle. Our stress tolerance and emotional resilience become diminished while on drug. Take away the drug cocoon and those stressors seem magnified due to lowered stress threshold. What used to be an everyday stress that we could cope with now feels overwhelming. Emotional sensitivity is hightened. Sadness, crying, anger, rage, jealousy, insecurity / lowered self confidence, paranoia (most any negative feeling) are all magnified (neuroemotions). This is when doctors might rediagnose as bipolar when it is actually withdrawal and the body attempting to find homeostasis.

Agree 100% with Peggy. Losing a job triggers all sorts of emotions in anyone. Your reaction was very natural.

At the same time, good emotions are still blunted (emotional anesthesia, anhedonia, apathy).

Just my 2 cents.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Oaklily,

First, I support your making your own decisions on your own 100 %. That's something we all have in common. I will say that when I CT'd Cymbalta, not realizing that was what I was doing, it was much, much worse than the present tapering withdrawal. Yes, there were the initial symptoms of the first month, but the real problems didn't start for about three months. But at least if you have problems, you'll at least know what's wrong.

I would think that if your "withdrawal" started 3 months after stopping medication, that it wasn't withdrawal symptoms you were experiencing, but symptoms from something else, whether your illness or other drugs. How can withdrawal start long after the drug has been out of your system? That just doesn't make sense to me.

This has been addressed extensively throughout this website, and I don't feel like explaining it again. Does anyone know how to link to some of the posts I and other people have written about neuroplastic changes in the brain and epigenetic changes in response to chronic long term administration of psychotropic drugs?

Also, would add that yes, some people do fine with a CT. Those tend usually to be people with a short history of drug use and no history of mixed drug use, polydrugging, prior CTs, changes in medications and dosages, etc.

Some people even with simple histories have a terrible time with CTs even then, though. And the withdrawal can be SO bad--causing people to lose jobs, marriages, families, any semblance of health, even their lives--that I feel the risk of advising someone to try a slow taper when they could perhaps have done a CT is way, way less of a risk than advising someone to do a CT when they need a slow taper.

Please be careful, read a lot, learn a lot about the subject you're advising people about, before giving advice here. If even one person ends up losing years of life and going through tortuous hell because they went CT because they read your post--isn't that one person too many?

However, please do continue to keep us posted on how your withdrawal process goes over the next six months or so. If you include your feedback, people can take that into account when making their own decisions for themselves.

I do have to agree that it's way too early days yet to say that your CT has worked. Symptoms from withdrawal unfold over a period of many months, and if you want to understand why, see my first sentence above.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

I do have to agree that it's way too early days yet to say that your CT has worked. Symptoms from withdrawal unfold over a period of many months, and if you want to understand why, see my first sentence above.

Well, apparantly what I'm doing is not considered "cold turkey" at all, since I switched from one medication to another, and waited a month before dropping the first. . I had enough of the constant up & down of tapering, so I just stopped taking Pristiq. After a day of feeling very drowsy, I felt so much better. Almost no up and down and lessening of insomnia. All I can say is that stopping Pristiq while being on Lexapro, instead of tapering it, which I tried for 2.5 weeks, has been working for me so far. But yes, I dont really know what's around the corner. Fingers crossed.

• Moderator Emeritus

Oh, you transitioned to a new med and then quit the old one CT. Got it. Hopefully that will work well for you!

I always recommend reading Anatomy of an Epidemic by Robert Whitaker for more understanding of how these drugs cause long-term changes in our brains.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Moderator Emeritus

I would think that if your "withdrawal" started 3 months after stopping medication, that it wasn't withdrawal symptoms you were experiencing, but symptoms from something else, whether your illness or other drugs. How can withdrawal start long after the drug has been out of your system? That just doesn't make sense to me.

Withdrawal can start long after the drug is out of one's system because these drugs make structural changes to the brain and other areas of the CNS. These changes can take months unto years after the drug is out of one's body to grow back to normal. No one knows precisely how this works and there's no way of predicting how long healing will take at the present time. What I've observed from being on this site for over a year is that Effexor and Pristiq are the worst for coming back months later and biting one hard on the butt. Perhaps this the difference between withdrawing from an SNRI and an SSRI. Just a guess.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Moderator Emeritus

perhaps. obviously no one can say for sure... regarding your depression after you were laid off - IMO, we shouldn't expect medication to stop intense feelings after loss, whether it is loss of a person, a job or whatever.

This is so true! We just need to give ourself time to grieve normally and we will get through it. Words of wisdom, peggy.

Well, so far what I'm experiencing, ever since switching from Pristiq to Lexapro, is severe drowsiness. What I don't know is whether this drowsiness is from Pristiq withdrawal or side effects from Lexapro?

Drowsiness has always been a withdrawal side effect for me with Pristiq. Sometimes I'd forget to take a pill in the morning, and by nightime, I'd so sleepy, I could barely keep my eyes open.

It is just so weird how these drugs work. For most of my 3.5 years on Pristiq, I slept thru the night, unless I was anxious about something. Then, all of a sudden, at the start of this year, I started waking up after 3 or 4 hours of sleep every night, unable to fall asleep for a few hours. This went on for 3 months, and continued even after I had started Lexapro. And after I started tapering Pristiq. But it just stopped, after I stopped taking Pristiq. Just like that, I stopped waking up at 3 or 4 am.

So this drowsiness is probably Pristiq withdrawal?

But the Lexapro...ugh...it's been making my face breakout...I think. And my appetite and hunger intensity has doubled!!! I hate these f'ing meds!

Hi Oaklilly,

I tried Alpha Stim once before and don't recall it doing much of anything good or bad, though I was heavily sedated.

I took both lexapro and pristiq.

Do you exercise much? Most people find regular exercise, like walking, jogging or whatever you may enjoy, a very useful activity with little risk.

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

Note: I have requested a screen name change from oaklily to Lilu.

Update: After stopping Pristiq abruptly, while on Lexapro, I went into withdrawal for about 6 days. It felt like I had the flu...I was really drowsy all the time, runny nose, sneazing, congestion, muscle pain, fatigue...but it all suddenly lifted on the 7th day.

I'm still struggling with daytime drowsiness, but its not as bad as during the withdrawal week. I'm starting to suspect that it's a Lexapro side-effect. I just found out that most SSRI's are CNS depressants! The really surprising thing that I found out, is that Prozac was developed from Benadryl! It turns out that antihystamines are very similar to antidepressants. I had no idea.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi There

I also suffer from the fogginess and drowsiness. I take 200 mg (am weaning now) but have felt dopey and exhausted the whole time. I actually thought it was because we have a baby, and I get up in the night but I also suffer from the insomnia, so when baby sleeps i can't. Or i just can't fall asleep so even if I wanted to rest when he does it doesnt happen often. I think it is a genuine side effect, perhaps not for all but it cerainly is for me. I don't take anything else, valium or tamaze when I really need to get some rest but other than that it has to be the drug. Mt thyroid, Iron and FBS are all fine too... go figure..

Good to know that I am not the only one!!

I just re read your post and saw that you actually had anaemia.. what a dill. It pays to slow down.. i'm just so excited to have found people that have had similar things like me :) I hope you found out what yours was Gardner.

Edited by AussieNik

200 mg Pristiq for ten months

Currently weaning from 200mg Desvenlafaxine to Lexapro 20mg

( Currently Day four of 150mg Desvenlafaxine )

History of depression, PND 1999 and Major depression related to Trauma 2009 20mg Escitalopram for 3 yrs.

Lorazapam as needed, Tamzapam as needed but reality is, I need to get back to basics to see what it is my body really needs.

The last 10 months of extreme side effects, nausea, PR bleeding, insomnia, sweats, upper gi discomfort due to NSAID use, general abdo discomfort, anxiety, paranoia, brain zaps oh and facial tingling - Thanks Pristiq - NOT!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Two months on Lexapro 10mg. Then went down to 5mg. Then just stopped.  Been 2 weeks now.

I really thought I'd be okay, since I've only been taking Lexapro for 2 months.  (Switching from Pristiq to Lexapro resulted in a week-long withdrawal of flu-like symptoms.) But I guess 8 years of antidepressants "frying" my brain and all that down-regulation of receptors has taken its toll.

Lexapro took away the 3 month long insomnia that suddenly appeared after 3 /12 years on Pristiq.  But now, as soon as I stopped taking Lexapro, an even worse insomnia appeared.   I've had insomnia every night, and without Ambien just cant fall asleep.  I feel so sleepy and drowsy and groggy all day long and yet I just cant fall asleep. I've tried alcohol, reading, hypnosis, and 5htp.

I've read about some of the people's experiences with Lexapro withdrawal on this site, and it's good to know, (not that it's good), that other people have experienced the same.

My symptoms for the last 2 weeks:

• Insomnia (can't fall asleep even if really drowsy; can fall asleep only with ambien.)
  • Light-headed (waves of feeling like I'm in a high-speed elevator)
  • Constantly drowsy, sleepy, groggy, brain-fog
  • Can't think straight
  • Blurred vision
  • Upset very easily/Emotions on edge
  • Crying spells (I seem to now cry at the drop of a hat!)
  • Down or Flat mood
  • Obsessive-compulsive behavior
  • Can't cope/deal with reality
  • Very horny (how do you like that one?)
  • Light sensitivity
  • Acne

I just didn't want to deal with the whole slow tapering thing - especially when psychiatrists are so lassez-faire about antidepressants.  My new (and very sweet psychiatrist) said Lexapro withdrawal should only be about a week.  Yeah. Right.

So, I'm not sure what to do now.  Should I wait it out? Should I reinstate?  Should I ask for a liquid Lexapro? (I don't even know if I can get it, since I have straight Medicaid, and they hardly cover anything.)  Maybe withdrawal won't last as long as it has for some of you?  

After reading around the site today, I read that taking 5htp (and maybe L-Tyrosine as well) can actually make withdrawal worse, since the receptors are not functioning and can't handle the influx of neurotransmitters?  I thought maybe the 5thp could help with my insomnia and the Tyrosine with the constant drowsiness.  But they might be making things worse, right? Ugh. 

I've also been using Cranial Electrotherapy.  But so far I don't know if it's helping or not.

I sure feel isolated and lonely with all this.  Funny how people just seem to disappear from your life, when you need them most!  And even if they do reappear, they just don't understand!

Edited by Lilu
Added member name to introduction

I am so sorry, that you are going through a bad time Lilu.

Please hang in there, someone with knowledge will be here shortly to help you.

You are in good and caring hands here ..

Sending you thoughts of healing ..xx Lexi

Hello,
I am tapering Lorazepam, and my daily dose is 1.125 mgs.

I followed a long hold for 5 months, ( Nov-March 2019) hoping to find some stability, 

but it did not work. So I resumed my taper and hold pattern.
For the last 3 years, I have been using a daily microtaper, cutting .001mgs per day, with holds as needed.
Symptoms are head pressure, labored breathing, palpitations, abrupt surges of dizziness, this being my worst symptom for now, internal tremors, my latest nemesis, unsteadiness, anxiety, plus many other symptoms that cycle in, and cycle out consistently. Not a day passes, without grief :(

I take no other meds.

January 2013 - 15 day quick taper off 10 mgs of Lexapro, and 25 mgs of Sertraline,

at a detox clinic.

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Lilu! Glad you found us. Someone will be along soon to advise you. It sounds to me like you will be a good candidate with a high likely hood of success by reinstating a small amount of lexapro and then tapering very slowly from there.

You are very lucky that you found this sight so soon after stopping taking lexapro. Before you do anything please read up on REINSTATING   and don't change anything until someone ( Likely Alto or Jemima)  comes along to suggest an amount.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised by how much better you will feel and then the challenge will be to taper SLOWLY.

Again... welcome!

RU     and oh..... we all DO understand and we WON"T abandon you!!! One for all and all for one around here. :)

Fall 1995 xanax, zoloft. switched to Serzone

1996- spring 2003serzone/ xanax/ lightbox.

b]Fall 2003- Fall 2004? Lexapro 10 mg. Light box /4 mg. xanax.[/b]

2004 - Fall of 2009 10 mg Lex, 150 mg Wellbutrin XL % 4 mg xanax

November 2009- Sept. 2011 10 mg lex., 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax [/b

Sept.2012- July 2012 20 mg Lex 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax

My mantra " go slow & with the flow "

3/2/13.. Began equal dosing 5 Xs /day xanax, while simultaneously incorporating a 2.5 % drop ( from 3.5 mg/day to 3.4 mg/day)

4/6/13 dropped from 300 mg. Wellbutrin XL to 150 mg. Difficult but DONE! Down to 3.3 mg xanax/ day / 6/10/13 3 mg xanax/day; 7/15/2013 2.88mg xanax/day.

10/ 1/2013...... 2.5 mg xanax… ( switched to tablets again) WOO HOO!!!!!! Holding here… cont. with Lexapro.

1/ 2/2014.. tapered to 18mg ( by weight) of a 26 mg ( by weight) pill of 20 mg tab. lexapro. goal is 13mg (by weight OR 10 mg by ingredient content) and STOPPED. Feeling very down with unbalanced, unpredictable WD symptoms.

1/2/2014- ??? Taking a brain-healing break from tapering anything after actively tapering something for 1.5 years. So… daily doses as of 2/2/2014: 18 mg by weight Lex, 150 mg Well. XL, 2.5 mg xanax, down from 26 mg by weight Lex., 300 mg well. XL, 4 mg xanax in August, 2012. I'll take it. :) 5/8/14 started equivalent dose liquid./ tabs. 5/13/14 1.5 % cut.

Thanks!  I have been distracting myself with shopping, surfing online, and watching tv.  Somehow cleaning the house or going through my piled up mail just doesn't provide the same distraction! Damit. Lol.

• Administrator

Hi Lilu

Welcome to the forum.  RU gave you great advice - you should consider reinstating at the 5 mg you were on previously to see if your symptoms settle down.  Then you can stabilize your system on 5 mg and slowly wean from there.

Lexapro does come in a liquid and alternatively you can make your own liquid - please see this topic on tapering off of Lexapro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/406-tips-for-tapering-off-lexapro-escitalopram/.

I would avoid 5htp and alcohol.  Surfing on your computer is fine, but you may want to stop by about 8 PM every evening because the blue light from the computer screen is stimulating and can make it more difficult to fall asleep.

2007 @ 375 mg Effexor - 11/29/2011 - 43.75 mg Effexor (regular) & .625 mg Xanax

200 mg Gabapentin 2/27/21 - 194.5 mg, 5/28/21 - 183 mg, 8/2/21 - 170 mg, 11/28/21 - 150 mg, 4/19/22 - 122 mg; 8//7/22 - 100 mg; 12/17 - 75mg; 8/17 - 45 mg; 10/16 40 mg
Xanax taper: 3/11/12 - 0.9375 mg, 3/25/12 - 0.875 mg, 4/6/12 - 0.8125 mg, 4/18/12 - 0.75 ; 10/16 40mg;

1/16 0.6875 mg; at some point 0.625 mg
Effexor taper: 1/29/12 - 40.625 mg, 4/29/12 - 39.875 mg, 5/11/12 - Switched to liquid Effexor, 5/25/12 - 38 mg, 7/6/12 - 35 mg, 8/17/12 - 32 mg, 9/14/12 - 30 mg, 10/19/12 - 28 mg, 11/9/12 - 26 mg, 11/30/12 - 24 mg, 01/14/13 - 22 mg. 02/25/13 - 20.8 mg, 03/18/13 - 19.2 mg, 4/15/13 - 17.6 mg, 8/10/13 - 16.4 mg, 9/7/13 - 15.2 mg, 10/19/13 - 14 mg, 1/15/14 - 13.2 mg, 3/1/2014 - 12.6 mg, 5/4/14 - 12 mg, 8/1/14 - 11.4 mg, 8/29/14 - 10.8 mg; 10/14/14 - 10.2 mg; 12/15/14 - 10 mg, 1/11/15 - 9.5 mg, 2/8/15 - 9 mg, 3/21/15 - 8.5 mg, 5/1/15 - 8 mg, 6/9/15 - 7.5 mg, 7/8/15 - 7 mg, 8/22/15 - 6.5 mg, 10/4/15 - 6 mg; 1/1/16 - 5.6 mg; 2/6/16 - 5.2 mg; 4/9 - 4.8 mg; 7/7 4.5 mg; 10/7 4.25 mg; 11/4 4.0 mg; 11/25 3.8 mg; 4/24 3.6 mg; 5/27 3.4 mg; 7/8 3.2 mg ... 10/18 2.8 mg; 1/18 2.6 mg; 4/7 2.4 mg; 5/26 2.15mg; 8/18 1.85 mg; 10/7 1.7 mg; 12/1 1.45 mg; 3/2 1.2 mg; 5/4 0.90 mg; 6/1 0.80 mg; 6/22 0.65 mg; 08/03 0.50 mg, 08/10 0.45 mg, 10/05 0.325 mg, 11/23 0.2 mg, 12/14 0.15 mg, 12/21 0.125 mg, 02/28 0.03125 mg, 2/15 0.015625 mg, 2/29/20 0.00 mg - OFF Effexor

I am not a medical professional - this is not medical advice. My suggestions are based on personal experience, reading, observation and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers

I am so sorry, that you are going through a bad time Lilu.Please hang in there, someone with knowledge will be here shortly to help you.You are in good and caring hands here ..Sending you thoughts of healing ..xx Lexi

Thanks. Just read your signature. It's insane what you went through. Why did you have to get on antidepressants to begin with?

• Administrator

Merged new topic with prior Intro topic.

Lilu, you're an old-timer here. You know what happens when you taper too fast. Lexapro comes in a liquid. I also suggest reinstating and tapering slower.

See the Lexapro topic in Tapering.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

There is no way I could ever advise someone to go cold turkey even though I did it. (See my intro post about what happened). It is only after reading about withdrawal here and elsewhere that I was able to look back and dimly realize how bad it was. But the acute part is now over and I consider myself a 'CT survivor'. I found this site by accident when searching for a name to put to what I was feeling about 5 mos after drugs. Anhedonia, depersonalization, all that cr@p. And I had just ordered some very expensive 'supplements' to 'help' me. Got them cancelled just in time. I had also tried to go back on the lamictal I was taking with Cymbalta and had to stop because it spiked my BP. I have gradually become much better than I ever remember being on the meds and at any other time of my life, but I am WORKING on it using diet, a few supplements, changing thinking patterns, etc. I recently read a study where (it might have been a meta analysis) it was said that about 20% who CT experience no lasting effects. It was carefully noted that the study was done under the aegis of Eli Lily. YMMV applies here.

It has only been 8 months drug free and I refuse to let the dark cloud of what 'might' happen to me in the future (as a result of my experience) affect my life. I can only work with the now. And I might add that the internet is not the 'be all and end all' of all of the information on the planet. How many who do well (or ill) never post on discussion boards?

As I side note, a previous GP gave me some samples of Lexapro to take when this current bout of depression started in 2004. OMG, they were horrible! Felt like my brain was lit up and set on fire! Couldn't sleep, cried constantly, shut my eyes and I could see light behind them even in a dark room. 3 doses and I quit. Went back to him and he said I had to find a psych for help. To his credit, he knew where his limits were.

We're all different. And yes, tapering may just prolong the symptoms but the key is, they are MORE MANAGEABLE and most can continue to have a life while they are coming down it seems to me. I lost about 5 clients during my CT withdrawal because I couldn't work. I can't have a do over, I just have to keep going with what I have.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

We're all different. And yes, tapering may just prolong the symptoms but the key is, they are MORE MANAGEABLE and most can continue to have a life while they are coming down it seems to me. I lost about 5 clients during my CT withdrawal because I couldn't work. I can't have a do over, I just have to keep going with what I have.

I guess I have the advantage of being home alone and not working right now. Not that I enjoy either one, but it does free me to just be on this roller coaster ride of withdrawal.  I really believed in my heart that it wouldn't last too long or be that bad.  And really from all people's experiences that I've read, it could be worse.

Merged new topic with prior Intro topic.

Lilu, you're an old-timer here. You know what happens when you taper too fast. Lexapro comes in a liquid. I also suggest reinstating and tapering slower.

See the Lexapro topic in Tapering.

I just wanted to "rip off the bandaid" quickly.  The Pristiq tapering roller coaster drove me nuts.  I guess I'll wait a few more days. The question is, HOW DO I EDUCATE MY PSYCHIATRIST?  Ugh am so tired of knowing more than my doctors...and then trying to PROVE to them that what I know is true.  Ugh...

HOW DO I EDUCATE MY PSYCHIATRIST?

Well, you can start by printing out some of the studies done by his peers and scientists and add that there is a lot of anecdotal evidence that slow tapering of psych meds seems to cause less disruption in people's physiology and lives. I believe a reasoned, calm approach will win out over a shouting, angry confrontation any day. YMMV, of course.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

Hi Lilu,

Saw Alto posted this today: 

Editorial based on the Baldessarini paper http://ajp.psychiatr...rticleid=102411

in this topic:

Might be a good place to start in wooing your psych over to your side....

Yeah, it would be helpful if there was like a pdf of all the important information to print out and give to your psychiatrist.  There's just SO MUCH information on this site!

This is effing hopeless.  Every f'ing psychiatrist I talk to sounds exactly the same.  I just talked to mine, and of course, she said, "Withdrawal only lasts one to two weeks at the most.  If you are feeling bad, that means that your depression has returned."  Arrrrrghhhhhhh  So then I tried to send her an email and of course it didn't go through.  But how do I talk to these psychiatrists, or should I not even bother???  They believe what they want and don't want to engage in any discussion with you.!

After reading so many profiles and stories, it seems that a lot of people wound up taking antidepressants for many reasons other than depression.  And then wound up with so many other problems from the drugs themselves, as well as from the withdrwal.

But what if you have always had a low-level depression, like I have, since I was 14 or 15.  And with each new painful even, such as a breakup, it just got more intense, and difficult to manage.  Always crying, over reacting emotionally to minor and major events.

I was depressed BEFORE I ever went on medication.  That is why I sought help.  Maybe for some of us medication is the only way to stay functioning?

• Moderator Emeritus

Lilu,

I plan on tapering from 20 mg to 10 mg lexapro and staying there because I know that I tend toward depressive episodes & have since 14 or 15 yrs. old . Like you, my depression just reoccured and it got harder to get out of it. I'm 56 now. I didn't begin medication until I was in my late 30s. 

I personally believe that an antidepressant ( zoloft at that time) saved my career & improved my quality of life immensely but with age I metabolize things differently and need to decrease.

RU

Fall 1995 xanax, zoloft. switched to Serzone

1996- spring 2003serzone/ xanax/ lightbox.

b]Fall 2003- Fall 2004? Lexapro 10 mg. Light box /4 mg. xanax.[/b]

2004 - Fall of 2009 10 mg Lex, 150 mg Wellbutrin XL % 4 mg xanax

November 2009- Sept. 2011 10 mg lex., 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax [/b

Sept.2012- July 2012 20 mg Lex 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax

My mantra " go slow & with the flow "

3/2/13.. Began equal dosing 5 Xs /day xanax, while simultaneously incorporating a 2.5 % drop ( from 3.5 mg/day to 3.4 mg/day)

4/6/13 dropped from 300 mg. Wellbutrin XL to 150 mg. Difficult but DONE! Down to 3.3 mg xanax/ day / 6/10/13 3 mg xanax/day; 7/15/2013 2.88mg xanax/day.

10/ 1/2013...... 2.5 mg xanax… ( switched to tablets again) WOO HOO!!!!!! Holding here… cont. with Lexapro.

1/ 2/2014.. tapered to 18mg ( by weight) of a 26 mg ( by weight) pill of 20 mg tab. lexapro. goal is 13mg (by weight OR 10 mg by ingredient content) and STOPPED. Feeling very down with unbalanced, unpredictable WD symptoms.

1/2/2014- ??? Taking a brain-healing break from tapering anything after actively tapering something for 1.5 years. So… daily doses as of 2/2/2014: 18 mg by weight Lex, 150 mg Well. XL, 2.5 mg xanax, down from 26 mg by weight Lex., 300 mg well. XL, 4 mg xanax in August, 2012. I'll take it. :) 5/8/14 started equivalent dose liquid./ tabs. 5/13/14 1.5 % cut.

• Moderator Emeritus

Two months on Lexapro 10mg. Then went down to 5mg. Then just stopped.  Been 2 weeks now.

I really thought I'd be okay, since I've only been taking Lexapro for 2 months.  (Switching from Pristiq to Lexapro resulted in a week-long withdrawal of flu-like symptoms.) But I guess 8 years of antidepressants "frying" my brain and all that down-regulation of receptors has taken its toll.

Lexapro took away the 3 month long insomnia that suddenly appeared after 3 /12 years on Pristiq.  But now, as soon as I stopped taking Lexapro, an even worse insomnia appeared.   I've had insomnia every night, and without Ambien just cant fall asleep.  I feel so sleepy and drowsy and groggy all day long and yet I just cant fall asleep. I've tried alcohol, reading, hypnosis, and 5htp.

I've read about some of the people's experiences with Lexapro withdrawal on this site, and it's good to know, (not that it's good), that other people have experienced the same.

My symptoms for the last 2 weeks:

• Insomnia (can't fall asleep even if really drowsy; can fall asleep only with ambien.)
  • Light-headed (waves of feeling like I'm in a high-speed elevator)
  • Constantly drowsy, sleepy, groggy, brain-fog
  • Can't think straight
  • Blurred vision
  • Upset very easily/Emotions on edge
  • Crying spells (I seem to now cry at the drop of a hat!)
  • Down or Flat mood
  • Obsessive-compulsive behavior
  • Can't cope/deal with reality
  • Very horny (how do you like that one?)
  • Light sensitivity
  • Acne

I just didn't want to deal with the whole slow tapering thing - especially when psychiatrists are so lassez-faire about antidepressants.  My new (and very sweet psychiatrist) said Lexapro withdrawal should only be about a week.  Yeah. Right.

So, I'm not sure what to do now.  Should I wait it out? Should I reinstate?  Should I ask for a liquid Lexapro? (I don't even know if I can get it, since I have straight Medicaid, and they hardly cover anything.)  Maybe withdrawal won't last as long as it has for some of you?  

After reading around the site today, I read that taking 5htp (and maybe L-Tyrosine as well) can actually make withdrawal worse, since the receptors are not functioning and can't handle the influx of neurotransmitters?  I thought maybe the 5thp could help with my insomnia and the Tyrosine with the constant drowsiness.  But they might be making things worse, right? Ugh. 

I've also been using Cranial Electrotherapy.  But so far I don't know if it's helping or not.

I sure feel isolated and lonely with all this.  Funny how people just seem to disappear from your life, when you need them most!  And even if they do reappear, they just don't understand!

I would reinstate if I were you.  When I got off Lexapro too fast, the worst of withdrawal didn't start for four to six weeks (I no longer remember exactly, only that the first few weeks weren't bad), and then it lasted for over two months to the point of being disabled.  It has very slowly and gradually gotten better over the past eighteen months.  I'm still having some mild problems with emotional numbing and occasional weepiness, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel from here.

I would also skip the Cranial Electrotherapy, whatever that is.  There doesn't seem to be anything at all that will speed healing of the CNS except time.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

And here you've hit the crux of the matter Lilu. In talking with my Dr. we discussed this very thing. My position is that yes, the AD's got me functioning again but they came with their own drawbacks in some cases real nasty physiological changes like heart problems and others. And the common wisdom is that once an episode of major depression is diagnosed, you are forever 'vulnerable' to more. I was dx 3 times and told I would have to stay on AD's for the rest of my life. Turns out that may not be the case. Just because I feel ok now without AD's does not mean that I will continue to to be 'well'. What will happen if I am not able to keep a grip on my emotions during some stressful life event in the future and become incapacitated again? You can bet I will turn to AD's if that happens to be my only option. I have to be able to function and take care of myself and if I need it, I'll do it.

BUT:

I know now from experience that they are tricky drugs and have unwanted side effects. I will be going into them again if I have no other choice, but it will be with eyes wide open.

Until 'talk therapy' (which works better that drugs alone, studies have demonstrated this for a LONG time) becomes really widely available and is the FIRST  choice for depression, meds will always probably be prescribed because whatever they do, they do help you to 'get out of the pit'.

The most effective therapy for depression seems to be CBT and REBT. But the person has to be FULLY involved in it with the right therapist. Pills are 'therapist agnostic', they have results no matter who prescribes them.

Ultimately, it will be YOU who heals your depression. But there is a lot of support out there. And for some, meds might be a temporary help. That is why you might feel your wanting to take a stand for 'cold turkey' has no support here. No one told you you couldn't advocate such a stance. But only for YOU and based on your experience. That's how you can be helpful.

I forgot to point out that I believe you are still on some sort of psychoactive med. Yes, you CT another med, but you are still being supported by another. There is where your particular challenge is.

• Moderator Emeritus

I want to add, I wouldn't put out the effort to convince a psychiatrist that antidepressant withdrawal is real.  Doctors tend to think that symptoms from withdrawal are evidence of a relapse, and you might find yourself committed to a psychiatric ward and being forced to take whatever drugs the doctor chooses, especially if you're finding the topic upsetting.  Concentrate on your own healing for now.