SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Tuskentank new to the forum

Tuskentank

Feeling weird palpitations, like panic, and sick and dizzy in spells. Meeting the psych resulted in the same diagnosis - that I am suffering from health anxiety with delusional fixation. He has contacted Doctor Healy though, based on the e-mail I received confirming I could be referred. I get the feeling Doctor Healy will be given the ' health anxiety' opinion, but I believe he will not make a diagnosis of me over the phone. This is rough, as I had some spells today where I felt sort of 'normal' but I have gotten used to that and finding it taken away again.

Was also told by the psych today that the normal way to get off the sleeping pills is to give me a half dose (!) so am scared they won't keep giving me a script for them. He did give me the citalopram as a liquid though, so that's something. 

Update 05/10/14: 11mg fluoxetine, 1.3mg diazepam (slow microtaper of both). Off olanzapine about 6-8 months?

Currently taking: histamine degrading probiotics, a glass of milk kefir mixed with natural yoghurt, flaxseed and slippery elm (split into two doses, one AM & one PM), butyric acid, high dose b vitamins, additional panthenine & a very healthy diet (no grains at all).

I believe that the answers to healing are in the gut. God bless you all.

My heart is hurting for you. 

I'm so sorry the people closest to you don't believe you.

What you are going through is very real and I hope talking with Dr. Healy brings you some validation.

Remember that it is your body and you can choose.

Started Fluoxetine Jan. 2010

Tried to go off of it in Sept. 2010

Weaned too fast and was back on it by Nov. 2010

Didn't work as good the second time around.

Started to wean again in Nov. 2011 and was off for good by April? 2012

Thanks Dunerbug. The Citalopram dosage was starting to level out at 17mg, when I was hit with the news I have H pylori infection and have been put on the antibiotic treatment and PPI. I didn't want to take the course (its one week) but I have damage to two parts of my gut, and I know it is exacerbated by pretty much everything I put into it now. I've started the probiotic again whilst on the PPI as I heard that antibiotics destroy all your gut bacteria so I'm hoping this gives me a chance. Scared of the sensitivities coming off again, and this just feels like a step back. 

Funny that for someone with 'supposed health anxiety' there are now two things actually wrong me with me (the first was hypnonataemia caused by the meds, now under control, and now this stomach damage and h pylori). Neither of these would have been discovered had I not taken myself to the hospital (docs and Mental Health nurse talked about tolerating the side effects of the drugs versus the benefits - didn't check my blood sodium or anything even though they had taken two samples!)

Update 05/10/14: 11mg fluoxetine, 1.3mg diazepam (slow microtaper of both). Off olanzapine about 6-8 months?

Currently taking: histamine degrading probiotics, a glass of milk kefir mixed with natural yoghurt, flaxseed and slippery elm (split into two doses, one AM & one PM), butyric acid, high dose b vitamins, additional panthenine & a very healthy diet (no grains at all).

Does anyone know if its ok to take a probiotic whilst getting this treatment? I've read mixed reports but feel like I need to get some good gut flora in there. Any advice appreciated!!

Also, should I take the citalopram before the PPI in the morning? It's an alcohol solution.  I took the cit an hour after the PPI today and had some dizziness and dp. 

• Administrator

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hey just wondering how you are holding up as I am going through similar stuff and sensitivity plus kindling reaction trying to stabilise on celexa at the moment.

April 2013 Doc put me back on 40mg of celexa for 2.5 weeks than switched to Paxil 3 weeks adverse reaction and kindling reaction
July 2013 5mg celexa and .5mg klonopin daily

5/15/16 started lamictal and currently at 25mg daily once a day.

1/1/17 crossed over from .5mg klonopin to 10mg Valium.

3/1/17 off celexa from getting down to around .25mg.

5/25/17 started tapering the Valium from 10mg to 9mg

6/25/17 dropped down to 8mg Valium 

currently on 8mg of Valium and 25mg of lamictal once a day in the morning never could handle more than 25mg of lamictal and never really felt anything from it.

7/2/17 updosed to 10mg Valium and holding split twice a day and holding.

3/1/18 dropped Valium from 10mg to 9.5mg

4/1/18 dropped Valium from 9.5 to 9mg still on 25mg lamictal.

Updosed 6/20/18 Valium 10mg and 25mg lamictal and holding.

I was hit with the news I have H pylori infection

Gee Tuskentank, is this bad luck that you have H. pyroli or good luck that it was found?!!**??**! I hope those antibiotics work and then your body can start healing without having to cope with bacterial challenges on top of everything else ...

Started citalopram May 12, from 10 to 40 mg/d over 2 months

Wanted to come off in May 13 and did it too quickly: decrease from 40 to 0 mg/d over 2 weeks; WD from then onwards, increasing in intensity to be unbearable at 4 weeks later;  reinstated 10 mg/d for 2 days (WD severity halved); reinstated 20 mg/d (initial WD symptoms decreased but not gone entirely until after 8 weeks)

Started 5--7% taper: Aug 13: 19 mg/d, mild WD on day 3; thereafter none notable; Nov 13: 18 mg/d, no WD; Dec 13: 17 mg/day, no WD for 3 weeks, then (at Christmas) tearfulness; Jan 14: 16.7 mg/d, Apr 14: 15.7 mg/d, Jun 14: 14.5 mg/d; Jul 14: 13.5 mg/d (6.9% reduction), Aug 14: 12.5 mg/d (7.4% reduction)

Sharing experience makes a difference

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm not a doctor, but I don't think it should be a problem to take probiotics while you are on antibiotic treatment for H. pylori. You can ask your doctor if you want to be sure. But I can't imagine why it would be a problem.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Administrator

Sounds like a good question for Dr. Google.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 4 months later...

Hi all,

I have akasthasia from the zyprexa, and am wondering how I should approach my taper from it? My mother has said that if I give it one more week at 5mg she will support me if nothing changes by then. She can see the distress I am in. The akasthasia eases if I drop down more rapidly but the anxiety kicks in furiously. I didn't have anxiety before taking the zyprexa, but it is hell now. Should I daily taper or would a faster taper be more appropriate? I am at a loss. I will stick it out for another 6 days purely to have the support of my mum. It would mean so much to have someone in my corner after all this time. I love my wife dearly and am afraid of losing her, but I want my family to give me a chance to finally heal. I don't care any more about my job or anything except those I love and my kids. Thank God for this forum as I feel so lost and alone right now.

• Administrator

I wouldn't stay on 5mg for one more week.

Didn't you reduce it by 10% in December?

I'm moving your posts from this Tapering topic to your Intro topic so it's in one place rather than all over the site.

Please add your updates to your Intro topic.

I have a feeling that your recovery from all of this will involve telling all your relatives to mind their own business.

I'm suffering badly here. I had to cut the olanzapine because it was causing me serious problems and I have severe anxiety now all day. I am on a low dose of diazepam but it does not make any difference to this. I don't know where to go from here. I have only been on this drug 2 months now but this is killing me. I need some advice from anyone out there who has gone off this drug. I know it is brutal but I am going to lose my job now. I am so tempted to increase the diazepam but I don't know if that would even cut it. I have to leave the house now as my wife has told me she still loves me but that it is not fair on our children to see me suffer like this. My parents have told me I can stay with them, and are slowly coming round to what this drug is doing to me. I am in bits.

Ok this is strange. I took some vitamin B1 and this has helped a lot. I just took my night-time dose now of the olanzapine though and I know now it is causing me problems as I can feel the anxiety underneath it. I am afraid of the depression that will come getting off it, but I really don't know how fast to taper now given that I know it is causing me anxiety.

• Administrator

Tuskentank, we discussed tapering olanzapine here http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3743-tips-for-tapering-off-zyprexa-olanzapine/

Please put any further updates or questions about tapering in this, your Intro topic. You are losing track of information by posting questions all over the site.