Sign in to follow this  
shanks

Abruptly stopping antipsychotics

shanks

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4315-organizations-concerned-with-coming-off-psychiatric-drugs/?p=52047

Also, abruptly stopping psychiatric drugs can be very dangerous, and in some cases can even kill a person (benzos can cause seizures if stopped abruptly; and almost all psych drugs can cause akathisia if they are withdrawn abruptly, which can lead to suicide.)

Just curious why someone would commit suicide. Does it take a long time for the akathisia to resolve? Or is it permanent?

Rhiannon

I'm pretty sure "why someone would commit suicide" is a bigger subject than can be answered on a forum like this and there are probably many answers.  Could you be more specific?

To the best of my knowledge akathisia caused by withdrawal gradually resolves like other withdrawal symptoms. If it's caused by taking the drug itself, it's my understanding that sometimes it gets better and sometimes it doesn't, as long as the drug is still being taken. Often people are given another drug to suppress the akathisia.

There's a statistical association between akathisia and suicidality. As far as I know it's a correlation only and the idea that one causes the other is speculative, although it seems a logical speculation.  I do know people can be suicidal without akathisia, because I've experienced that myself--so at least one person can be, anyway.

But as far as I know there is no good information or research on suicidality in association with psych drug use or withdrawal--that is, no research on what might be going on underneath. I'm pretty sure the state of the science is not that advanced, nor is it likely to be any time soon, since most research on drugs is paid for by the pharmaceutical industry, and right now they're spending a lot of money trying to suppress the information that psych drugs cause suicidality.

alexjuice

I'm pretty sure "why someone would commit suicide" is a bigger subject than can be answered on a forum like this and there are probably many answers.  Could you be more specific?

Rhi, when I first read the start of your response it struck me as humorous. I should not laugh though because suicide is not a laughing matter. Seriously, I am not chuckling right here at my laptop. Ok...

Aria

I stopped my Seroquel and went into nasty pronounced withdrawal that almost put me over the edge.  Akathisia varies in intensity and can cause unbeliveble anxiety that seems to have no end.

Newbeginning

Akathisia means a LOT of anxiety and unrelenting insomnia....not a state most people can tolerate long term. Does not totally explain suicide, but I could totally see most people thinking about suicide in that state, especially if somehow they are convinced that state might be permanent...

Altostrata

People think they're losing their minds and act impulsively when they get severe withdrawal symptoms. A very deep despair can be a withdrawal symptom; this can be so frightening, people kill themselves.

Buffy

I dont know how I didnt off myself this year - i was dropped of Zeldox very fast last year in hospital. The symptoms of this entire year have me teetering on the edge.

The more I find myself- the more damaged I realise I am. the antipsychotics had me so far from myself and connecting back into a damaged body is difficult, is it worth it? Not so far.