SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

$#*! my doctor says

Altostrata

One afternoon I was at my pdoc's for my routine Med Check feeling very ill (my face was white, I was shaking and heavily perspiring). Since he didn't exam me like normal doctors do he would have seen I was seriously ill. His response to me saying I felt ill was "it was anxiety". The next night I was admitted through the ER for Seroquel Induced Acute Pancreatitis fighting for my life and spent 2 months in the hospital.

When in the hospital for Acute Pancreatitis I was told repeatedly I would be there for ONE year. I kept saying oh no..not me. So after I get out after 2 months my gastroenterologist said "maybe you weren't so ill after all?"" :rolleyes:

My friend called the pdoc and told him I was in the the ICU for Pancreatitis. The pdoc's office notes said "patient in ICU due to psychosis". Maybe it was all the same to him?

I got all my pdoc's notes to read through an attorney, saw he had written repeatedly he had no idea what was wrong with me and still he prescribed powerful psych drugs. :blink:

Unable at this time to correspond by private message.

Link to my Introduction thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2477-aria-my-psych-journey/

Reading my psychiatric records: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5466-drugged-crazy-reading-my-psychiatric-records/

My Success Story is listed under "Aria's Recovery".

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Barbarannamated

• Altostrata

• alexjuice

• summer

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW! That's scary, Aria.

I've found that not many docs of any specialty really examine patients. This is particularly interesting in pain management. Docs rarely palpate or investigate pain in a hands-on way. I think it may be related to liability.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

WOW! That's scary, Aria.

I've found that not many docs of any specialty really examine patients. This is particularly interesting in pain management. Docs rarely palpate or investigate pain in a hands-on way. I think it may be related to liability.

You said "liability". I say "laziness". There is no excuse for not doing a proper physical during a medical exam. But, then you and I know that! : )Hugs, Annej

My Intro
2000-Effexor and Klonopin
April 2011- C/T Adderall, lithium, Seroquel, Lunesta; Pristiq and Klonopin cut by 1/2 due to med-induced "rapid cycling"
May 2011- Pristiq/Lexapro bridge/taper
June, 2011- K cut to 0.5 mg (doctor)
July 18, 2011 - Lexapro done
October 2011- K taper started
Jan, 2012- Off K, Remeron started -bad idea
March 2012- Horrific Tardive Akathisa/TD (Dx: TA versus withdrawal akathisia secondary to K w/d)
May 2012- Reinstatement of K
Current Psych Meds: Klonopin 2 mg + Propanolol 15 mg and titrating up
As of June 2013: TA gone or suppressed - struggling with tolerance to benzos - beta blocker helping

Agreed! My mind extrapolated without explanation there... I recall a doc saying something about being careful about touching patient in a comforting way for liability reasons. At that time, the conversation veered off into how rare it is for docs to touch patients even to examine.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• 1 month later...

Me: we tried adding Valium...there's a method to reduce benzos...are you familiar with[interrupted]

Dr Possible New Shrink: wait you added diazepam to try to get off clonazepam?!? That's backwards, no wonder you had problems. Klonopin has a longer half life, it makes no sense to switch to Valium.

Dr Possible New Shrink: I can't say my area of specialty is med drawdowns. But I've find about 80% have success with my klonopin taper method which is conservative to minimize discomfort. I reduce the dose 25% a week.... The 20% who are unsuccessful, I refer them to Dr. [rehabguy] for inpatient detox since they probably shouldn't be on these meds if they're addicted to them anyway.

Me: yeah, I know Dr. [regbguy]. He thinks benzos are equal to cocaine. He runs a rehab.

Dr: yea, he does feel strongly that addicts shouldn't take benzos at all. I think I agree with him.

And scene

Thank you for your time and audition Dr Possible. Don't call us. We will let you know.

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for your time and audition Dr Possible. Don't call us. We will let you know.

Hi Alex, I'm really sorry to hear you had to endure this guy for the length of the apt. and hope it was a 10min wonder, though initial apts are usually longer. That said, there is only one other thing. Posted Image

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Ha, actually she was fine for the first 45 minutes during which I laid down the exposition. The last 15 minutes, train derailed. She said some stuff, I wish I had a tape recorder.

There is a semi famous musician in my city who wrote a love note to this doctor that ran in the local newspaper. This musician believes this doc finally got her meds figured out.

My dad saw the article a few months ago and forwarded me the doctors contact info. I'm happy to meet with anyone (dad got the bill). But after today I looked up the musicians comments on this doctor. Basically, the musician feels she benefitted from the ECT, a stimulant, antidepressant and antipsychotic this doctor set her up with.

I should post the excerpts from her book.

Dr was a nice, empathetic lady. I feel bad for the musician, who has not been vey productive career wise in a decade or so... Wonder why?

- Zimmerman

I'm sorry, Alex. Im also sorry for the musician. And all the patients of this and all other doctors out there of like mind.

25% per week. WOW. Just WOW.

Interested to know about the musician..

Hugs.

B

• Administrator

The howler is her understanding of benzo half-lives. Valium has the longest, by far.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I'm sorry, Alex. Im also sorry for the musician. And all the patients of this and all other doctors out there of like mind.

25% per week. WOW. Just WOW.

Interested to know about the musician..

Hugs.

B

This is the google book excerpt... I don't know if it's linkable....

http://books.google.com/books?id=YTBoGXudzz4C&pg=PT163&lpg=PT163&dq=lynn+spillar+shawn+colvin&source=bl&ots=19YBE7Qg54&sig=gME2_clfMhcUdUpQ1PyeQOEKICU&sa=X&ei=WmglULv1FoPq2AXwroC4Dg&ved=0CAoQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=lynn%20spillar%20shawn%20colvin&f=false

Edit: clickable for me. I only read that first pages... To the point of "concerta kicked ass and took names..." or whatever.

- Zimmerman

The howler is her understanding of benzo half-lives. Valium has the longest, by far.

Yea. It was very surprising.

My dad is great at making half-cocked attempts to be helpful. While I am following all leads to find a new shrink, I should know to disregard the leads originating from my father.

- Zimmerman

• Administrator

So that's what happened to S* C*.

Hey, at least he pays the bill.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Moderator Emeritus

This is the google book excerpt... I don't know if it's linkable....

http://books.google.com/books?id=YTBoGXudzz4C&pg=PT163&lpg=PT163&dq=lynn+spillar+shawn+colvin&source=bl&ots=19YBE7Qg54&sig=gME2_clfMhcUdUpQ1PyeQOEKICU&sa=X&ei=WmglULv1FoPq2AXwroC4Dg&ved=0CAoQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=lynn%20spillar%20shawn%20colvin&f=false

Edit: clickable for me. I only read that first pages... To the point of "concerta kicked ass and took names..." or whatever.

!@#___$%^&* What deluded dribble. Harkens back to my mental health internship, when I was taught psychiatry was an art form and cautioned not to challenge the venerable docs. Sheesh. btw.. I used to love Lupo's. And a place called Alleries (sp). Both were grand.. Prov. had a pretty good music scene, especially Jazz. We were a stepstone to the NY scene, and quite a few up and coming, some on the way down, musicians played here. On any given Sunday afternoon, I'd have a couple, lean into a velvet couch and listen to live Jazz. My back yard doncha know.

Argh.. we are having a Tornado watch wild and wooly out there. Raining 3 inches an hour. This is NE for Gosh sakes.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

I was about 19 and on my latest cocktail of meds, about 5 in all, including an antipsychotic and Lithium for my "bipolar disorder". I went to my doctor complaining of nausea, exhaustion and nearly fainting on a couple occasions. I told him how I was concerned over being on so many drugs and that I think they were causing my stomach distress and fatigue. he looked at me, wounded, and proceeded to say " I don't know why you're blaming the medication. it's probably just stress. you probably have a stomach ulcer from stress. here's a prescription for that." I walked out of his office and never looked back.

Zoloft nearly killed me.

Depakote at 15 for PTSD

Then Lithium for "bipolar disorder". Then Paxil, Welbutrin, Celexa, Serequel, Buspar and Risperidol

And Effexor

At 21 I'm transitioned to Zoloft only

At 26 in late 2010 desperate to no longer just exist I go off my "pediatric dose" of Zoloft which I had previously weaned towards

Shortly after spend the next few years going through WD Hell

2016 Drug free and trying to reclaim my health with the help of my kinesiologist

we're not scare mongering. this is really happening.

• Administrator

An appropriate reaction!

• 1 year later...

Appointment last week with new doc for endocrine issues... seems fairly promising...knows dangers of psych drugs...

Tried to explain to him how I wake in a state of panic and dread, not wanting to live (said very cautiously and included that I am NOT suicidal).

His response: "you have to BE HAPPY". End of discussion. POOF! I'm cured!

Should I start singing the Fidler on the Roof song, "It is a miracle"? Barb? Oh, what I would have liked to have said to your doctor. But I would have set the record for the quickest firing of a patient by a doctor.

Sorry, you had to deal with that BS.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

• Moderator Emeritus

During one of my hospital admissions I was explaining my symptoms to a junior doctor, I know now that they were

withdrawal from ct paroxetine. She looked at me and said "well I think your symptoms are psychological" .

A nurse said "I don't think you need to be here, you aren't ill you need counselling".

And when I said I wanted to go home the psychiatrist said " You are very ill, in fact you are the most severely ill

patient I have in the hospital and you can't possibly go home. "  ( I was sectioned at the time). 

Before I left I had Lithium, clomipramine, seroquel and a very confused brain!

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

"You need to stay on Zoloft for six months, than you can begin to slowly wean off it."

I decided then and there to taper that weekend.

I am off of all meds as of May 20th, 2013, after 5 weeks on Zoloft and a 4 week taper. Still experiencing: moderate anhedonia & PSSD, I am otherwise mostly healed. 

2.1 years off of medication. 

"If I walk away, don't hate me. I've got to see where the pain will take me.

I found no angels...I found myself."

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

A psychiatrist once said to me:

"You couldn't possibly have Asperger's because you write too well"  :huh:

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Well Petu, in all fairness, many people have said that I couldn't possibly have a learning disability because I also write or do x factor too well to have one.   By the way, I used to silently laugh on the other site because many people who complained of cognitive issues would write very well and in response, their complaints were met with derision.  So many people don't understand that when you have invisible neurological disabilities like we do, you can be very strong in one area and severely impaired in another.

Sorry, I know this is an off topic response but your post raised a hot button issue of mine that I had to address.

CS

PS - My learning disability was diagnosed before I took one crumb of psych meds as an FYI. Interestingly I was retested when I was on them, and the pattern of strengths and impairments was exactly the same although all the scores had increased.

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia