SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Alpha-Stim, Fisher Wallace Sota Biotuner, PoNS, & similar "brain stimulation" devices

meistersinger

Day 6: Better for 2-3 hours then back to feeling like ****. I guess I can take that as a sign that I will recover from this horrible experience?

Zoloft, November 2019.  I worked up to 50 mg and stayed there until 1 year later. I tapered for 3 months, which should consider to be cold turkey.
Tapering schedule:
Month 1: 37.5 mg

Month 2: 25 mg

Month 3: 12.5 mg

Month 4(Half the month): 6.75 mg
Month 4(Other half): 0 mg December 9, 2020

On 12/22/2021 at 3:56 PM, ghm2018 said:

@curiousnootropicsFor me, all symptoms improve slowly and gradually.  That’s just my experience though.  Hopefully your experience will be better than mine.

Did you severe anxiety after that? Did it go away for you? For me, it is unbearable now

Zoloft, November 2019.  I worked up to 50 mg and stayed there until 1 year later. I tapered for 3 months, which should consider to be cold turkey.
Tapering schedule:
Month 1: 37.5 mg

Month 2: 25 mg

Month 3: 12.5 mg

Month 4(Half the month): 6.75 mg
Month 4(Other half): 0 mg December 9, 2020

@curiousnootropicsI’m just so sorry, but glad to hear that you had a few hours of feeling better.  It means your brain is trying to regain what it knows to be normal.

I forgot, but I had really bad despair at first which then was replaced with anxiety, but then both went away altogether, although it took quite a but of time.

Just keep hanging in there. I’m proof that things do improve, but I’m praying for that it happens more quickly for you.

2002 - 2014, 500mg Keppra 2x’s/day (anti-seizure med)

2003 thru 2004 - 10 mg Remeron

2005ish - Adverse reactions to single doses of Zoloft, Wellbutrin, and Lexapro (no long-lasting problems)

2012 - Buspar (overly energized, stopped immediately, no long-lasting problems)

2014 - 1 month taper off of 500mg Keppra (Leviteracitam) - seizure free for 12 years 

2017 - 500mg Leviteracitam (generic keppra) 

2017 - Mid-Dec experienced adverse reaction to Leviteracitam due to different manufacturer. Stopped on Dec 20.

2018 - Jan 1st, 10 mg Fluoxetine (generic prozac) experienced severe adverse reaction after 3 doses and continue to experience issues today. 

2003 - 2018 Ativan, occasionally/rarely

• 7 months later...

Here is a Meta Analysis that was conducted on CES studies performed with various devices. This study was published in February of 2021 in 'Frontiers in Human Neuroscience' so is relatively recent. The basic conclusion was that most of the studies were heavily biased and sponsored or conducted by the various manufacturers and most were of limited size and of poor quality. For treatment for depression the FDA classifies these devices as 'Class III' which places it in the category of a high risk medical device requiring special controls. Here is a link to the FDA website with the definition of Class III.

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/overview-device-regulation/classify-your-medical-device

The good news is that of studies done since the early 1970's the only consistent side effects were headache, dizziness, and discomfort at the points of electrode contact. There was nothing in the research that showed this could make you worse or do any real harm. So, will it hurt? Probably not. However, will it help? That seems to be inconclusive and more research needs to be done.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7882621/

Current Psychiatric Medications

1. Paxil 10mg daily (a.m.) 2017 - Present
  2. Carbamazepine IR  190 mg twice daily (380mg Daily) 2011 - Present (Currently Tapering)

Past Psychiatric Medications From 1994 to August 2021   Seroquel (in Recovery since August 2021 final dose 6.25mg), Depakote, Lithium, Risperidone, Xanax, Lamotrigene, Olanzapine, Lorazepam, Welbutrin, Trazodone, Oxazepam, Gabapentin, Abilify, Topiramate, Prazosin, Ambien (See Attached Spreadsheet And Seroquel Tapering And WIthdrawal Summary)

Current Non Psychiatric Medications Levothyroxine 88mcg (a.m.)-Vitamin D3 1000 IU (p.m.)-Fexofenadine 180 mg twice daily -Clonidine 0.1 mg (p.m.)-Azelastine Nasal Spray

Other - Fish Oil Twice Daily-Multi-Vitamin (a.m.)-Vitamin C 1000mg Daily (a.m.)-Saline Nasal Spray-Salsalate 750mg twice daily PRN, Diclofenac Gel on affected joint PRN-Magnesium Citrate 250mg twice daily, Betaine HCL & Digestine Enzymes With Meals

Quitting Seroquel_A Vacation In Hell_Redacted.pdf

Other Documents https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/26099-feralcatman-recovering-from-seroquel/?do=findComment&comment=633907

• 1 month later...

I just ordered the Sota bio tuner 9 directly from Sota - link below.  it looks like most feedback on this thread is with the 8, I guess they upgraded it some how some way.  It should be here in a week or two.  Seems it shipped from HK.  I’ll update the thread after I have it and get a few sessions in.  Purpose of trying this device is to attempt to mitigate withdrawal symptoms.

https://www.sota.com/default.aspx?page=Bio-Tuner

1997-2006 - Prozac 20mg

2006-2015 - Lexapro 15mg, Klonopin .5mg PRN

2015 - Paxil | 2016 - Remeron 30mg | Mar 2017 - Lexapro 7.5mg, Kpin .5mg |July 2017 - Pristiq 50mg, Kpin 1mg

Oct 2017 - Celexa 20mg, Kpin .5mg | Feb 2018 - celexa 20mg, Kpin to Valium 7.5mg 

April 2018 - rapid taper of Celexa and Valium leading to crash

May 2018 -  Aug  2019 - Fluoxetine 15 mg, Valium 3.5mg

Aug 2019 -April 2020 - Micro liquid taper off 3.5mg valium end April 6 2020. Liquid Fluoxetine 12mg per day

May 2020 - Nov 2021 -   liquid fluoxetine 12mg per day.

Dec 2021 Direct switch from 12mg generic liquid fluoxetine to 10mg Prozac Capsule | May 24 2022 - 9.5mg | July 1 9.2mg | Aug 14 9.0mg | Aug 30 8.9mg | Dec 1 8.8mg

*Zero alcohol since July 2020.  Supplement include 3000 mg Fish oil, 1000mg Vit C.  100mcg B12

• 3 weeks later...

I had to stop using my Alpha Stim M CES device. It started giving me nasty headaches as soon as I turned it on. This is a known side effect. Seems to happen with some people. It did work at first and it helped me to relax but once the headaches started the beneficial effects went away.

2. Carbamazepine IR  190 mg twice daily (380mg Daily) 2011 - Present (Currently Tapering)

Past Psychiatric Medications From 1994 to August 2021   Seroquel (in Recovery since August 2021 final dose 6.25mg), Depakote, Lithium, Risperidone, Xanax, Lamotrigene, Olanzapine, Lorazepam, Welbutrin, Trazodone, Oxazepam, Gabapentin, Abilify, Topiramate, Prazosin, Ambien (See Attached Spreadsheet And Seroquel Tapering And WIthdrawal Summary)

Current Non Psychiatric Medications Levothyroxine 88mcg (a.m.)-Vitamin D3 1000 IU (p.m.)-Fexofenadine 180 mg twice daily -Clonidine 0.1 mg (p.m.)-Azelastine Nasal Spray

Other - Fish Oil Twice Daily-Multi-Vitamin (a.m.)-Vitamin C 1000mg Daily (a.m.)-Saline Nasal Spray-Salsalate 750mg twice daily PRN, Diclofenac Gel on affected joint PRN-Magnesium Citrate 250mg twice daily, Betaine HCL & Digestine Enzymes With Meals

Other Documents https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/26099-feralcatman-recovering-from-seroquel/?do=findComment&comment=633907

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Has anyone tried this therapy for stomach issues? I have severe constant bloating and stomach pain due to SSRI use (only 2 months) and cold turkey withdrawal. I am 11 years after withdrawal, and my stomach issues keep getting worst. The pain and bloating is constant no matter what I eat, and it wakes me up at night, it's during every minute and every day for the past 11 years. I can barely function. I have done so many therapies, CBT, EMDR, biofeedback, all sorts of nutrition and supplement therapies, acupuncture and many more...

Of course medically nothing important showed up in my medical examinations, and the my and my doctors speculate I have nerve damage/ damage to the serotonergic system in my stomach. So I am trying to think outside the box here how I can restore my stomach nerve system to normality as I'm super desperate that after 11 years my stomach and body don't heal and I need something more aggressive to stimulate regeneration- does any of you found electrotherapy to be helpful for a condition similar to mine?

If yes, what device do you recommend? I saw some recommendations for the Bio Turner, Alpha Stim (though some got no relief from them or even got worst symptoms).

Thank you all !

• 6 months later...

I purchased a Vielight machine, a PoNS unit, and a tDCS device after a successful round of rTMS. rTMS successfully woke up my attention and willpower, and that made me very curious about the others.

The Vielight doesn't seem to do much thus far (I use in the alpha wave range -- maybe calms me down a bit?).

PoNS is awaiting pickup, so can report back on that one. 

I tried 2x tDCS protocols for my visual cortex, following an article I read on an improvement in visuals for someone with "HPPD." Worked very quickly for them. It just made the world flicker a bit, no improvement overall, so I returned it for the time being. 

I might pick up the tDCS again later, but I'm going to try using Vielight and the PoNS for a few months first. Will also return the Vielight if it doesn't do much over the next few months.   

Oct 2019: Insomnia due to stress, prescribed 50mg trazodone and 50mg sertraline 

Mar-May 2020: Off sertraline, had a poor reaction. COVID isolation hit. Restarted sertraline 25mg, maintained trazodone

June 2020: Used LSD to (I was told) "reset my brain" following isolation, trauma, and difficulty weaning

July 2020: Re-started sertraline 25mg, trazodone during subsequent lockdowns

Feb 2021: Off sertraline; tried to taper trazodone instead of coming off cold turkey when I had a poor reaction

May 2021: Ketamine infusion for suicidality; given Seroquel for sleep; only took a few times 

Aug 2021: Clonazepam 0.25 mg at sleep and in the morning (0.5 mg total) - maintained for sleep

Jan 2022: Tried lamotrigine for two weeks to see if it would stabilize anything. Couldn't fathom being on another drug and stopped. 

April 2022: Advised to wean off clonazepam to avoid damage. Now, often bedridden, routine bouts of terror/chemical anxiety. 

My journey: https://brainhack.substack.com/

• 3 months later...
On 9/29/2022 at 10:00 AM, FeralCatman said:

I had to stop using my Alpha Stim M CES device. It started giving me nasty headaches as soon as I turned it on. This is a known side effect. Seems to happen with some people. It did work at first and it helped me to relax but once the headaches started the beneficial effects went away.

I am using my device today and no headache
so I think that these things are like anything
else you can overdo it. It took a couple of
treatments the last time for it to help but it
was helpful.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy