Dani

Food sensitivities

gn11

I have become anxious about food and it has had a negative impact. I started to eat white  rice and chicken and eliminate gluten and dairy. My anxiety went up due to the low carbs.  I ate a breakfast cookie with a variety of flours and I felt better.  When my stomach feels empty I have a reaction as well. I had a piece of corn bread and felt better as well. Also, milk and eggs seem to work fine. I am used to eating organic and whole grains. Whole grains like brown rice it's hard to digest. I'm not sure whether I'm making my problem worse by becoming paranoid about food. Feel at loss at what to eat.It is confusing to follow all of these different suggestions. . Any ways to just chill about food...I think it increases my anxiety just to think about. Also, a simple approach to eating without being to boring? 

gn11

...ah and paleo, gluten free, no sugar, no dairy, low histamine ...just wanted to add if someone can direct me to a simpler website with two 3 ingredient recipes that work for many peopl, it would be appreciated. I think reading all of these complicated stuff has made my situation worsw.

Jaywill

I have the same symptoms as you guys and react to many foods and have multiple chemical sensitivities as well. Apple Cider Vinegar and salt have saved my life. As soon as I eat something that doesn't agree with me I get a lump at the back of my throat like it is constricting. I walk over to my bottle of apple cider vinegar take a swig and wash it down with water. Almost immediately the panic feeling goes away and my throat seems to relax. If the reaction continues and I feel like I cant take a full breath i take table salt , pour it in my hand, lick it and chase it with water. I carry a bottle of salt and ACV in my purse. I have had some pretty crazy reactions and this has always worked. I have started a low histamine diet and have been off dairy for 18 months and gluten for three years. I am also taking a probiotic. I am now able to tolerate vitamin b , d , c , fish oil, magnesium. I react very badly to antibiotics and just had a severe sinus infection and ended up in hospital on IV. I cured it by neti potting with a little ACV and it cured it. I swear by ACV

Evoldnahturt

I know some people have had bad experiences with elimination diets, but I started one on Monday and felt soo much better in the evening on Tuesday.  I wasn't expecting it to make much of a difference and am completely shocked at how much it's helped so quickly.  I was still experiencing skin and muscle burning, stinging, lots of muscle twitching, depression, anxiety, and some other symptoms to a lesser extent.  It was all tolerable and probably a lot less severe than what most of the people in this thread seemed to be dealing with, but still made me pretty unhappy.  All of those symptoms are either gone or difficult to detect.  Except for the muscle twitching.  It's easy to detect but isn't as frequent.  I've been eating whole and organic chicken breast, vegetables, fruits, nuts, ginger, garlic, and seeds, and olive oil.  Last night I had organic, grass-fed beef with no adverse reaction.  I've also been using black pepper and salt, but not organic (can salt be organic?).  I probably should have eliminated the nuts since a lot of people have issues with them, but I don't seem to.  My bad ache (with cysts) that I've had for years is clearing up, too.  It clears up and gets bad again regularly, but I have a feeling it might be leaving for good now.  There's a lot of chemicals in our foods.  Pesticides in inorganic produce, hormones and antibiotics in inorganic animal products (which are in most processed foods), preservatives, dyes, etc.  I wonder how much our issues are caused by food sensitivities and how much are caused by exposure to these poisons.

Prohealer

A lot of people become anxious about whether what they eat is good or not which is understandable, i myself get anxious when it comes to what i should or shouldn't eat because it is hard to distinguish WD symptoms to adverse reasctions. I suggest sticking to just doing the best you can and staying away from obviously bad foods like chocolate and chips etc. but even them once in a while arent the end of the world.

I currently have a problem with binge eating bad foods and i'm working on it but i still feel that iv'e gotten better regardless because of the things i have changed.

Diets are a double edged sword sadly so its important to do what only you can cope with, were only human.

Rain

My food sensitivities were much much better when I started WD one year ago until I made another cut of the Lexapro. 

I was eating spices and fish burger last month caused me very bad anxiety and akathisia symptoms, both of them lasts for 3-4 days. 

However, 4 days ago I had prawns and fish in my friends place, the second day I started very bad anxiety and the third day my first restless legs and akathisia hit. The stomach is totally breakdown. I couldn't sleep at all with top of the anxiety and hopeless feelings. Its so hard for me, but I don't know if this can cause me Akathisia this bad? I just hope this is caused by seafood intolerance. Anyone experienced my similar situation?

Faithgrl

Hey all thank you so much for sharing.

I have always had food sensitivies  which resulted in eczema but since reinstating at 1/3 of what I was on, every time I ate my body exploded into rashes.

After a stint of fasting and trying to endure all the rashes, then being prescribed prednisone (which completely freaked me out because I understand it could send me manic which is the last thing I need right now) I have decided to pop anti-histamines for my poor inflamed skin which has been struggling for two weeks.

I am terrified that the anti-histamines will stop working before these histamine dysregulation symptoms pass but there is nothing I can do about it at the moment. Its either that, or I scratch till I water, or prednisone (!!!).

I am seeing a kinesiologist weekly to support me and give me a food plan on a week by week basis so I have a safe food list from week to week (which changes as we all know).

I am still super freaked out. Prior to this I have like 6 shots of coffee a day, one of them a soy cappuccino, chocolate desserts twice a week, and can eat a tonne of red meat.

Now I am down to fresh fish only for meat, vegetales, peeled pears  and I am going to have to rotate my food. Ugggghhhhhhh. Lucky I can still have one shot of coffee a day and a soy cappacino once a week otherwise life is so not worth living.

The kinesiologist reckon that I currently have sensitivities to salicylates, amines and glutamate (??). So now I am off to the salicylates sensitivity forum to see what I need to do.

This is soooo painful. Please somebody tell me it passes.

Evoldnahturt

Hey all thank you so much for sharing.

I have always had food sensitivies  which resulted in eczema but since reinstating at 1/3 of what I was on, every time I ate my body exploded into rashes.

After a stint of fasting and trying to endure all the rashes, then being prescribed prednisone (which completely freaked me out because I understand it could send me manic which is the last thing I need right now) I have decided to pop anti-histamines for my poor inflamed skin which has been struggling for two weeks.

I am terrified that the anti-histamines will stop working before these histamine dysregulation symptoms pass but there is nothing I can do about it at the moment. Its either that, or I scratch till I water, or prednisone (!!!).

I am seeing a kinesiologist weekly to support me and give me a food plan on a week by week basis so I have a safe food list from week to week (which changes as we all know).

I am still super freaked out. Prior to this I have like 6 shots of coffee a day, one of them a soy cappuccino, chocolate desserts twice a week, and can eat a tonne of red meat.

Now I am down to fresh fish only for meat, vegetales, peeled pears  and I am going to have to rotate my food. Ugggghhhhhhh. Lucky I can still have one shot of coffee a day and a soy cappacino once a week otherwise life is so not worth living.

The kinesiologist reckon that I currently have sensitivities to salicylates, amines and glutamate (??). So now I am off to the salicylates sensitivity forum to see what I need to do.

This is soooo painful. Please somebody tell me it passes.

Have you considered that withdrawal syndrome might have caused you to develop a sensitivity to medication as well as food?  I know things got a lot worse for me when I started adding medication.  This seems to be more important the more severe a person's withdrawal syndrome symptoms are.  Sensitivities usually go away, but while a person is sensitive, they have to be careful about what they put in their body.  What I've gathered from the stories I've read is, at the very least, while we're sick, we need to quit adding medication and very slowly taper off of whatever we're currently taking after a stabilizing hold.  An elimination diet might help you figure out what foods you're sensitive to.  I really started to improve after I started an elimination diet.

Faithgrl

Yes! That's the path I have been on this last week. I finally found David Healy's Rx guide to coming off anti-depressants which talked about histamines going all over the place and him prescribing anti-histamines.

I am aware that it is only a short term solution, but I have tried Quercitin and Black Seed oil and had terrible itchy reactions (I suspect the salicylates). I also tried Tulsi (with horrid reactions). It would appear that for now, nothing herbal will work on me.

The good news is that my eczema is mostly clear (!!) for now. I finally caved on Sunday night and started popping anti-histamines and putting cortisone on my skin, along with an anti-septic to kill the bacteria. This has stopped the itching and the flaring all together.

I have been doing this for 5 days. In the meantime I have been spending all my holiday time researching what the f**k is going on.

I suspect that I have always been sensitive to salicylates and the reduction of cipramil (which is also an anti-histamine) meant that I started reacting like crazy to all foods (that and eating my interpretation of a paleo diet with red meat, chocolate and coffee daily didn't help probably). My mother doesn't eat fruits and vegetables and only eats them if she is out. She always complains of fainting when she eats abit of vegetables or fruit. I suspect it comes from her.

So this last week, its back to fresh fish, vegetables, fruit and nuts with a little turkey and lamb for Christmas. And eating ALOT less (like 1/2 or a 1/3 of how much I used to eat) as eating in itself produces histamines. I did consider an elimiation diet but per the other thread on "food sensitivities" it could be aggravating  to a strained nervous system.

My plan going forward is to now taper off the anti-histamines, SLOWLY while I continue this new food plan and find new doctors who can help me in the new year.

My head is otherwise fine, with meditation (to Christina music in my case), and as much sleep as a I want. The test will come next week when I go back to work.

Evoldnahturt

Elimination diets have made things worse for some people.  I wonder if slowly taping off of foods that are on the no-no list might be a safer way of introducing an elimination diet.  Doctors don't know anything about withdrawal syndrome and the way they respond to it is generally very dangerous.  They tend to want to treat the symptoms with medication, which may make the symptoms temporarily subside, but they put you at a greater risk of getting sicker, especially if you ever decide to taper off of whatever they give you.  The risk should be less once your nervous system has healed some, but right now it's probably very sensitive.  The worst cases I've read were those where the patients kept going to doctors and those doctors kept adding new medications and cold-turkeying them off of old medications.  People seem to start getting better when they quit making med changes (including alcohol, caffeine, and nicotine) and start living a healthier lifestyle (especially in regards to diet).

LexAdvice

Reviving an old thread! I'm going through severe food sensitivity issues 1 month out of a long and slow taper of Lexapro. Most foods make my skin itch, luckily I have been able to establish a mostly low-histamine diet which I am able to tolerate. However, I am a food writer and simply mad about food and this situation, frankly, is scaring me. Can anyone comment about recent improvements or being able to re-introduce foods as healing moves forward? Thanks!

Evoldnahturt

I've generally become less sensitive to food over time.  If you're gentle with your nervous system, it should heal and all of these issues should go away eventually.

LexAdvice

Thanks for that, @Evoldnahturt! What foods were you sensitive to, how did the sensitivities present and did you have to cut those foods for a while and then keep trying to introduce them back or...?

Evoldnahturt

I'm not sure what all I was sensitive to, I know dairy, nuts, and grains all caused me problems.  I also have at least one autoimmune disease that continues to cause skin and mild anxiety issues if I don't stick to my diet.  I just try to stick to the autoimmune protocol.  It's hard to say what symptoms are caused by with autoimmune disease(s) and what's caused by withdrawal syndrome, but I know that cheating doesn't make me feel as bad as it did right after my failed taper two years ago.  I'll intermittently test different foods, but it's difficult because symptoms don't usually pop up very quickly if I've been strict with my diet for a while.

Callie

Can anyone list the specific symptoms that are associated with food sensitivities? Also, how quickly after eating do the symptoms appear? I'd really like to know. It would help me a lot.

Much appreciative,

Callie

Evoldnahturt

I'm not sure there are any specific symptoms.  My impression from reading stories is that symptoms vary widely between individuals.  Many people believe the best way to determine if food is causing you problems and what problems those are is to do an elimination diet.

Kallalily

I am happy I found this topic because the main symptoms I seem to be having result from eating food. Mainly processed.

If I have anything with sugar, caffeine, or any additives I have a weird and very uncomfortable reaction. MSG seems to be the main issue. When I consume anything with MSG, I feel dizzy and weak and I have to lay down and nap afterwards to deal with the feeling. I never had any bad reaction before or during my time on Prozac. This food sensitivity didn't appear until 1 month after my last dose of 10mg Prozac. I've been off Prozac for almost 3 months now and I was only on Prozac for a total of 3 months as well. I am hoping to have a quicker recovery since I wasn't on the drug for that long, but right now I feel like this will never end. I plan to, of course, eliminate these types of foods but it's disheartening to keep finding another food that makes me feel ill. I'm starting to lose my appetite in general. Has anyone fully recovered from this? If so how long did it take for you to recover from food sensitivity? 

(I'm still learning about all of this since I believe I'm in the early stages of my withdrawal)

Evoldnahturt
4 hours ago, Kallalily said:

I am happy I found this topic because the main symptoms I seem to be having result from eating food. Mainly processed.

If I have anything with sugar, caffeine, or any additives I have a weird and very uncomfortable reaction. MSG seems to be the main issue. When I consume anything with MSG, I feel dizzy and weak and I have to lay down and nap afterwards to deal with the feeling. I never had any bad reaction before or during my time on Prozac. This food sensitivity didn't appear until 1 month after my last dose of 10mg Prozac. I've been off Prozac for almost 3 months now and I was only on Prozac for a total of 3 months as well. I am hoping to have a quicker recovery since I wasn't on the drug for that long, but right now I feel like this will never end. I plan to, of course, eliminate these types of foods but it's disheartening to keep finding another food that makes me feel ill. I'm starting to lose my appetite in general. Has anyone fully recovered from this? If so how long did it take for you to recover from food sensitivity? 

(I'm still learning about all of this since I believe I'm in the early stages of my withdrawal)

It seems like most people do eventually heal.  Often times in just a year or two.  It does sound like your case may not be as bad as many cases on this forum, which suggests that you're likely to heal more quickly than many of those more serious cases.  The really good news is this condition forces us to take better care of ourselves and to develop better habits.  You might overall live a longer and happier life because of this condition if the habits stick.  Focusing on silver-linings, when you have them, can make coping a lot easier and this is a pretty good one!

Kallalily

I sure hope so! Thank you for your feedback. I live with a bunch of different people who eat processed foods so it's been hard to keep up a decent diet. I'm going to do my best since I've been reading it helps push through recovery. 

And you're definitely right. One positive thing I see out of this is that it'll push my towards a healthier lifestyle. I just want to get to where I can handle a small treat here and there without feeling completely ill after. Lately I've been having a reaction very soon after I consume something that my body doesn't agree with. 

I know I'll get to where I'll feel a lot better eventually. When my waves hit, I can't help to have a moment of doubt.

I've been keeping a diary that I'll probably post on here in the future once my symptoms ease up.