squirrel

Fear, terror, panic, and anxiety

Petunia

John,

I think I understand what you mean and its what I get.  Is this a very physical feeling in your body, not caused by thoughts, but then fearful thoughts arise in response to it?

If I had to describe it in terms of physical sensations I would say its like inner shaking/trembling, feeling of electrical buzzing, a kind of clenching gripping sensation in my stomach, waves of nausea like sensations, constant feeling of pressure in head and body, increased senses as if I'm primed to detect any change in my environment to detect danger.  Nothing I do decreases it.  But at a certain time in the day, usually for me, around mid afternoon I suddenly notice it reduce and within about an hour I'm feeling more normal.  On bad days it will last all day and not go away until 8 or 9pm, but usually for me, I'm getting significant relief by about 5pm.

If I wake up early, before its light, its not there, but for me, it starts to arise with the sun.  At the moment, for me its at its morning peak about 8am, during the winter months (I'm in Australia), it seemed to reach its morning peak about 10am.

This is actually a common pattern in withdrawal and its connected with the natural cortisol cycle.  Is this what you are experiencing?

John

John,

I think I understand what you mean and its what I get.  Is this a very physical feeling in your body, not caused by thoughts, but then fearful thoughts arise in response to it?

Yes, exactly.  Mind you, I never had this in my life until I took these blasted pills and got off them.

This is actually a common pattern in withdrawal and its connected with the natural cortisol cycle.  Is this what you are experiencing?

Absolutely.  Finally someone like me!  If you looked at my other post, my saliva cortisol levels at 10am and 1230pm are about 7 times higher than normal!  Like you, intrusive thoughts arent the cause, its the cause that makes these horrible feelings.  By the way, how long have you been feeling like this?

Nikki

See?  And this is what I mean...  All of you have a known form of anxiety which is OCD, panic disorder and GAD (Worry).  But I have none of those.  Granted, every now and then I get a limited panic attack, which is less than 4 symptoms at a time, but I also have this nervous and scared and feelings of dread for no reason whatsoever.  It usually starts right up about 2 hrs after I awake, and then disappears by 830pm like clockwork.  Lately there are some nights where it lasts beyond 830, but its still much lower than the day.  Could this be a constant state of low grade panic?

John before I even got to this post.....my first thought was DREAD.  In WD I get adrenaline dumps or surges which are sometimes uncontrollable. I don't have agoraphobia and I function very well.  Work hard, love to laugh, have many friends, but when anxiety gets bad in WD I tend to isolate.

I get what you and Petu are talking about....First comes the feeling in my solar plexus and then the Oh No thoughts.

And then sometimes I get the thoughts and then the feelings arise.

Crazy how we have been affected....

Petunia

Absolutely.  Finally someone like me!  If you looked at my other post, my saliva cortisol levels at 10am and 1230pm are about 7 times higher than normal!  Like you, intrusive thoughts arent the cause, its the cause that makes these horrible feelings.  By the way, how long have you been feeling like this?

I haven't had my cortisol levels checked, but I suspect that they are high.  I also think part of the problem is increased sensitivity to even normal levels and functions in the body.

I've been like this since November 2011.  The pattern has remained constant, but the intensity of symptoms has fluctuated.  The first 8 months was the worst, I was hardly calming down enough to sleep.  I've had windows of improvement lasting 2 -3 months, but its fairly bad again now and seems to be starting earlier in the morning so its effecting my dreams and sleep.

I'm recovering though, even though its worse at the moment than it was a few weeks ago, its still no where near as bad as it was 2 years ago.

Have a look at this thread: "I hate cortisol mornings"

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2144-i-hate-cortisol-mornings/

Janie

I have all that and more. I am now 17 months off effexor.  My level of anxiety used to be 'facing a firing squad' level. I am now more functional but most days have at least the internal vibration / tightness in solar plexus, belly and or heart area - sometimes to the point of true painfulness. I have also had: feelings of heart palpitations, uneven breathing, horrible sparkly nerve firings throughout my body for hours at a time, muscle twitching, body jerks, shaky voice, weakness, trouble with jerky gait when walking (only noticeable to myself). These sparkly shock like nerve firings have come up lately while my mood and thinking seems to be getting more normal.   

Does anyone else have these nerve firings?  It's almost like having some kind of a seizure.  It's pretty scary.  Could it be a later stage of WD recovery or some other problem altogether?

Barbarannamated

Ditto what Petu described. I've been in a horrible wave since the holidays which were terribly stressful.

I have not done saliva cortisol, but my serum cortisol is very LOW at the 8am draw and remains low - normal later in day (should be highest in early morning). I still have the early morning panic awakenings and slight improvement later in day (this improvement has lessened with this wave and severe insomnia). I am almost 3 years post Pristiq.

John

Ditto what Petu described. I've been in a horrible wave since the holidays which were terribly stressful.

I have not done saliva cortisol, but my serum cortisol is very LOW at the 8am draw and remains low - normal later in day (should be highest in early morning). I still have the early morning panic awakenings and slight improvement later in day (this improvement has lessened with this wave and severe insomnia). I am almost 3 years post Pristiq.

Low cortisol could cause you not to handle stress too well.  We need higher levels in the morning to wake up properly, and to handle stress.

Nikki

Hi - I came on the site this morning to talk about anxiety or ask about it.  I have it all the time. It is very disheartening.

This is when the thought comes in about finding something to stop the anxiety.  Giving up, stop WDing and find a medicine that can stop all of this.

It's been years.  It could be the meds, the way I think, situations or is this how I am going to be for the rest of my life?

With anxiety, everything is monumental - crisis - or I procrastinate due to fear.  It can cause me to become frozen.

I have a terrible time getting up in the mornings.  I wake up, don't fee well rested, want to go back to sleep, ad the anxiety begins so I really don't sleep.  I get ready for the day, come on here and FB....Read daily readers, say some prayers and still have it.

Omorfi I honestly don't have any advise for you and can't seem to stop it myself. 

It is worse in WD. 

How to stop anxiety does anyone know??????

misard
Hi, this is my first

Well, the first time I had a major panic attack and anxiety attack the doctor put me on xanax but it messed with my head really badly and I had memory issues. My discharge papers noted that while medicated by it I had little to no acknowledgement of externally inflicted bodily harm/pain. What I do remember is waking up the next day with a swollen ankle and multiple bruises that hurry like hell from walking into things or just letting the car door close on me.

Later, someone recommended me this treatment, and I’m very grateful with it, i can go anywhere i want without problem, no anxiety, no panic attacks, i'm a new person. Read this article, it helped me a lot : panicsolutionkey.com

Barbarannamated

For me, fear is different than anxiety although probably from same source.

A few extremes I've experienced during withdrawal vs not in withdrawal:

- fear of being alone vs needing/enjoying time alone

- fear of travel vs LOVE of travel, alone, pretty much anywhere (I avoid East LA. ;) )

- fear of loved ones dying and being unable to care for myself vs being extremely independent

Just a few that really effect my life and thinking.

Aria

When I was poly drugged I had fear and sadness more than I had off the drugs. When I started tapering the fear, hyperventilating, wondering what was coming around the corner and panic escalated slamming me against the wall. I knew on one level it was from tapering but it still was awful. It went away soon after I finished my tapering. Do you have a good friend or family member you can talk to? It helped me to write down how I felt in a journal. Keep posting about how you feel here and the wonderful members will help you through this. Having symptoms worsen when you taper happens and scares us into staying on the drugs thinking "this is all me not the drugs". You can always taper slower and hold that amount for a while?  I'm sorry you're having a rough time of it.

Bellisimo

I am three weeks into xyprexa withdrawal and I have anxiety that is worsening and depression. I am afraid of everything now. I wasn't like this before. But, I feel like I maybe can't do this.... Even though I never felt myself on the medication. Can anyone help? Is this just me?

when i first came off my drug i had EXTREMLY high aniexy and fear and panicattacks daily.. its very normal in withdrawing.

I was just like you, i was afraid of everything, everything triggered panicattacks in me, i coudnt do much then just stay at home alone , i felt so scared many times, hate that feeling..

how are u feeling now?

lundeliz

Why am I afraid of going to sleep?  I stay up way too late at night, just putting off going to sleep.  I only

got a couple hrs of sleep last night because I had to get up early and take my granddaughters to school.

Now I've been lying here for hours, sleepy, but can't let myself fall asleep.  I think it's anxiety I'm afraid of.

I get anxious when I try to sleep in the daytime.  I hope this passes soon.

Barbarannamated

I'm almost 3 years off Pristiq and a paralyzing fear can be triggered in an instant. Today, I turned on phone and couldn't get to parts of it....the format of facebook was completely different. My mind went crazy.... how will I find people's phone numbers in an emergency? etc. This so so unlike me and that alone scares me. I'm only now starting to calm down.

lundeliz

Three years is a long time to live with that. Its really exhausting. I hope you get relief soon.

trouper

For me, fear is different than anxiety although probably from same source.

- fear of travel vs LOVE of travel, alone, pretty much anywhere (I avoid East LA. ;) )

- fear of loved ones dying and being unable to care for myself vs being extremely independent

Just a few that really effect my life and thinking.

this is me exactly. i just keep waiting for it to pass but know it won't be for awhile. :( do you see this lightening up for you? 

as for travel, I'm starting to sometimes get a few windows of it but i definitely am not at a point where i want to sit in a car for many hours or let alone hop on a plane. i am at a point where i can sometimes go to nearby places, half day trips. I'm kinda stuck being alone during the day. sometimes I'm okay, other times I'm just trying to get through until the husband gets home. all of this is worse in the mornings.

i would drive my husband nuts with all the travel and day trips i wanted to do and i used to crave taking days off and getting stuff done and being alone. i lived alone most of my adult life. i know the person i am now is not me but a person filled with fear. I'm blaming withdrawal for this and hope i will be back to who i am again once this is over. its going to take a lot of work to unravel this mess. :/

Barbarannamated

this is me exactly. i just keep waiting for it to pass but know it won't be for awhile. :( do you see this lightening up for you?

as for travel, I'm starting to sometimes get a few windows of it but i definitely am not at a point where i want to sit in a car for many hours or let alone hop on a plane. i am at a point where i can sometimes go to nearby places, half day trips. I'm kinda stuck being alone during the day. sometimes I'm okay, other times I'm just trying to get through until the husband gets home. all of this is worse in the mornings.

i would drive my husband nuts with all the travel and day trips i wanted to do and i used to crave taking days off and getting stuff done and being alone. i lived alone most of my adult life. i know the person i am now is not me but a person filled with fear. I'm blaming withdrawal for this and hope i will be back to who i am again once this is over. its going to take a lot of work to unravel this mess. :/

Trouper,

Your life prior to withdrawal sounds VERY MUCH like mine. I went out everyday, exploring, day trips that sometimes lasted overnight if I ventured out too far, etc. I didnt realize at the time that it was how I coped with the loss of my career and daily routine.

For me, the fear of travel and being alone comes in waves and is related to me spending extended periods of time in my house (very isolated, unpleasant, and trapped financially). It's hard for me to differentiate the two issues. I've made a few plane trips (one alone) and several trips with my husband in car or RV (3-4 hours on road). I think I may have some attachment issue. I tend to either need to be with him to travel or go the opposite extreme and need to be alone, possibly to build my confidence back..? It really throws my sense of progress.

I hope something in this will help you!

trouper

thank you so much for your reply, barbara :)

i really don't like being alone all day too much yet. i'm on medical leave and am just filling my days to get through until i heal more and can go back to work. i'm in this limbo state and the unknown future kind of makes it unstable or me. having not much to do makes my mind wander and makes spiraling down easier unfortunately.  i have stronger days and weaker days. i can drive around town by myself and run errands and go to appointments as long as i feel decent but i don't think i can go too far yet - i worry i will get in an icky wave and have trouble driving. i've discovered i am able to drive a lot more and a good distance when someone i trust is with me, and if i'm feeling okay. 

truthfully i'm hoping all this time alone is counting towards exposure therapy. :) 

i'm currently reading the mindfulness & acceptance workbook for anxiety by dr. john forsyth which i believe nikki mentioned somewhere. I'm not too far in but it looks promising. its based on acceptance & commitment therapy. 

Barbarannamated

Trouper said:

"i'm in this limbo state and the unknown future kind of makes it unstable or me. having not much to do makes my mind wander and makes spiraling down easier unfortunately"

Oh yes. :( ive been on disability since 2001 and am now struggling with the limbo state / unknown future more than ever in 13 years. A lot of that limbo / freefall / ungroundedness is withdrawal for me. It's a very distinct feeling that comes and goes.

trouper

well lets hope withdrawal is making it worse for both of us and it will pass. :)

Omorfi

I am very happy to report that the anxiety has lifted. It was hell. But I am free..... Of Xyprexa. Now I am starting the Setraline taper. I began adding heavy cardio exercise with my yoga. I took GABA and magnesium. I began to knit.

I got angry and that fueled my withdrawal strength. It helped me to push through. This site is a great great comfort.

Nikki

http://www.anxietynomore.co.uk/anxiety_q_a.html

reading thru this and did it resonate with me.  gotta try it

After I got off Lexapro I have had the type of anxiety this man is talking about....the medicine I've taken since then didn't help.  They didn't change my thinking or how I handled anxiety.

When we try too hard to do ANYTHING, it seems to slip further from grasp. This includes to ridding oneself of unwanted thoughts. The more you "try" to push them away, the longer they linger and the stronger their impact. When we welcome and give room to unwanted thoughts, they lose their significance and quickly diminish. When you impose a false sense of importance upon a thought, it will often appear more serious t

Time again is a great healer concerning this condition. I allowed them to flow in and flow out and I didn’t react. When I did this, I noticed the scary thoughts seem to lose their scary edge. Stop fighting them, just say: come if you wish, I no longer care, you are not important.

Don’t ever tell yourself that you must not think these thoughts. Let all thoughts come; do not run away from any of them; see them for what they are, just thoughts, exaggerated because of the way you feel. They can do you no harm and they mean nothing. They won’t be around when you recover, so pay them no respect. The best way to alleviate these intrusive thoughts is to allow them their space by NOT trying to force them out.

Why not try following a negative/scary thought through and ask yourself, what’s the worst thing that could happen? Then ask yourself if it is really going to happen? Is this thought rational in any way? If you do this, you may find an answer to a thought you have been so frightened off, so that next time these thoughts enter your head, deep down inside there will be a part of you that can see them for what they really are and let them go.

I often get asked ‘How I do I stop thinking a certain way’, my answer is DON’T try, if it’s not important whether your thoughts are scary or not, why try to stop them, give them their space, this is the way to lose them. Fighting thoughts and trying to rid yourself of them is the wrong approach and a battle you will lose for sure, again you are fighting something that is totally normal in the circumstances. Don't think you are going crazy or try and fight or change the way you think.

Nikki

anxietynomore

It is site in the UK started by a man who suffered with anxiety for years.  He found a way out without medication.  I was introduced to the site by a friend on a UK site for safely getting off drugs.

He has a book which I purchased..A Life At Last by Paul David.

His message is alot like Claire Week's message.  There are blogs and a daily message.

I have been trapped in a haze of anxiety for years now as you know.  I am going to pursue this in the hopes of recovering.  A commitment I am making for me.

Here I am on two medicines for anxiety and I have anxiety every day.  Have not started the next taper....need to gather courage.

Hugs

by Paul David

The whole point was it was not about striving to feel good anymore, which had totally had the opposite effect and my whole day had been consumed by it. It was about accepting who I was and situations with utter acceptance. Some days would be good, some days would be bad, some situations would go well, some not so well, I would now try to be neutral to it all. I would stop ‘Trying’ to feel different, I would stop watching my own social performance, there would be no more inquest when things did not go as I wanted. But in time I got far more out of this statement when the meaning truly sunk in. I stopped worrying so much about future events, I stopped mentally going over things as much, I stopped living inside my head as much, wondering how I felt or how things were going. My mind felt clearer, my anxiety levels dropped.

Nikki

Hey just sent you a PM....

Zoe when I am in a good state it is alot easier to practice self help techniques....when in a bad state it almost seems impossible so I was thinking to do alot of practicing so when the down time arrives I might be more inclined to remember what i have learned.

moodyblues78

Hi Nikki

When I`m in a bad state I can not think straight or do anything that would make me feel better. I`m also unable to read so I listen to Claire Weekes`s audio CD. It helps. I have it in my car. It`s on my computer as mp3-files.

Barbarannamated

I just read this in a brochure of a Marriage and Family Therapist and found it interesting:

"Anxiety is a mood condition that occurs without an identifiable triggering stimulus. As such, it is distinguished from fear, which occurs in the presence of an observed threat. Additionally, fear is related to the specific behaviors of escape and avoidance, whereas anxiety is the result of threats that are perceived to be uncontrollable or unavoidable."

Just sharing...not implying that it is accurate or not.

Nikki

This speaks volumes

What medication do I take for anxiety?

Sunday, January 27th, 2008

This is a question I get asked a lot. Anyone who knows me and my views will know I am not a fan of them. Not just because I believe recovery comes from within, but also the wrong medication is given to sufferers. I know of around 30 different medications handed out for anxiety. This is because people can get wrongly diagnosed and also because the patient comes back and tells them it is not helping, so they shift them on to something else. No other condition has so many different medications to treat it, maybe the answer lies away from tablets then!

I was given seroxat to treat my anxiety, which is mainly an anti depressant. Did it make me feel better? No, I wanted answers to what was wrong with me, that would have helped far better. I got a lot of side effects and decided to come off them. I was also handed out beta blockers, these were suppose to slow my heart rate down. Again I never mentioned my heart raced, it rarely did, I suffered with chronic anxiety and this did nothing to help. Again I decided to come off them and find my own answers, I just felt until I had some answers to the way I felt, medication was never going to be the answer.

I had someone last week say they went to the doctors and explained their symptoms, the reply was to just stare at them and hand out some tablets. This is exactly what I went through. The doctor just looked confused, if he did not know then it must be serious. Going back to the lady who went to see the doctor, back she went and stated the tablets were not helping at all. His answer was to double the dosage, again they did not help and she felt more bewildered than ever, falsely believing that she was the only one in the world to feel like this. She got in touch with me after reading my book and said it helped far more then any medication. An explanation to how we are feeling always does, it takes so much fear and worry out of the equation, the very thing that keeps anxiety and panic alive.

The only time I would see a place for medication for anxiety would be that the sufferer finds something that takes the edge of the way they feel and are given the correct advice along side it. Medication without an explanation is just a crutch. I never wanted a crutch or something that could bring other problems, I wanted to come through naturally.

I am not a doctor and don’t claim to be. Some people do find a little relief with medication, but far more I come across don’t. That is always a personal choice. My advice though is always to educate yourself, knowledge is always power with anxiety. It is the very thing that got me home and not some tablet.

The main reason for this post is that it pains me to read emails asking what medication they should try, some have been on medication for many years and have not found any peace, swapping and changing every year. I tell them the answer does not lie on an outside cure, but a cure from within. I have yet to meet anyone who had recovered solely through medication and I don’t believe I ever will.

For more help and advice visit my main site www.anxietynomore.co.uk

For more information about my book ‘At last a life’ visit

www.anxietynomore.co.uk/the_book.html

Posted in Anxiety and Medication | 11 Comments »

You are currently browsing the archives for the Anxiety and Medication category.

lundeliz

I'm almost 6 months out from my last Cymbalta. The last few days the fear has

been overwhelming, impossible to get away from. Fear of nothing at all, just a

feeling of fear and terror. I'm tapering a beta blocker so I don't know if that

is contributing to it or not. I feel terror just lying in my bed doing nothing,

afraid of what, I don't know..maybe fear of losing control. Please tell me this

will end. Trying to hang on.

alex

HI Lundeliz;I am sorry you are going through this hell.

Yes, it WILL get better.I know because I've been there.

6 months off is not much for AD withdrawal.On the contrary. it could be the pits...

You wont loose control;you don't know how strong you are until you have to be strong.

Again, I'm telling you this, for my own experience.22 months after my last dose of Effexor, terror days are very much over for me.

I am not out of the woods, but definitely better.

Hang in there, it will get better.

Hugs, A.

acetyl

I am three weeks into xyprexa withdrawal and I have anxiety that is worsening and depression. I am afraid of everything now. I wasn't like this before. But, I feel like I maybe can't do this.... Even though I never felt myself on the medication. Can anyone help? Is this just me?

The anxiety I'm experiencing following Asenapine discontinuation (also an AAP similar to zyprexa) is beyond words and is the craziest sensation imaginable. There isn't much physically i.e. no racing heart, no lump in the throat or sweaty palms; it is all inside my head like my brain waves have been amplified 1000x, it is this constant hyper CNS  agitation. Everything scares me, even the simplest of tasks seem excruciatingly hard to perform. So I absolutely promise it's not just you.

Kirstyloop

I’m on week 14 I think from stopping citalophram. Started taking it October 2012 after going on holiday. Prior to the holiday I felt anxious in trains/cinema/lecture halls places I felt I couldn’t get out of easily. Therefore when I sat on a plane for 5 hours I was bad, although not bad enough to have a panic attack, instead I used alcohol to cope. Which I did the whole holiday and the constant hangover made me worse. All in all I came back a quivering wreck and went on meds. Anyway came off them (20mg) did a week of 10mg then a week of 10mg nothing 10mg nothing then a week of 10 nothing nothing 10 nothing nothing. Not much of a taper when I researched afterwards.

Anyway, I understand waves and windows, and the lack of research on withdrawal is horrendous. I’ve booked a 4 day trip to Gibralter, my friend lives there and I’m petrified. I know it’s association between now and my last holiday which was negative. I have windows of positivity that it will be great then I’m a wreck the next wave. I’d love to think I’m withdrawing still, it would be so comforting. I go Gibralter on 9/6/14 :) eeeeeek but I will get through it. It’s only a feeling and feelings don’t kill you. Sending love and hope you all get happiness xx

mlrp

It pains me somewhat to post to a thread that Tim (rest his soul) so recently posted to, but I offer a link to a page on a website that helped me break down and understand the issue of my panic attacks. There isn't anything incredibly new or novel there (although the concept of "adding a second fear" was new to me, and it helped when I consciously worked to avoid that) but since it helped me, I offer it to others.

http://www.anxietyandstress.com/dealingwihpanicattacks.html

xlmplmplmp

I'm currently back on a low dose of Prozac and preparing myself for a year-long taper. The issue I present tonight is one of fear. When I was suffering from full-blown withdrawal before my reinstatement I would experience fear from seemingly another planet - the sort of fear that eats away the soul. I'm not being melodramatic - this fear would come from nowhere and rip apart any hope or sense of certainty I had in anything. The complete and total fear was by far the worst symptom of withdrawal and the one I most dread when I begin to taper. Because the fear is so overwhelming and I have not found any reliable way to curtail it, I am wondering if anyone here has found methods to treat or manage it, because I am sure other people have dealt with this as well.

LoveandLight

No I'm afraid not.. But I do understand, I think. I described it a pure terror..maybe with a slow taper you can avoid this..

Best of luck.