Sudden fear, terror, panic, anxiety, or sensory overload from withdrawal

squirrel

I haven't been able to work since March but akathisia has only been part of the problem. I had gut pain for 10 months and couldn't eat food for 3 months. I couldn't control this pain, only time took it away. Than I had fatigue so bad that I couldn't walk my dog for about 6 months or clean up after myself. Now I have a mixed bag of symptoms but they are all starting to weaken. My waves are still very very bad but my windows are better and longer. Yesterday I almost had a full window throughout the day and evening. I hit an akathisia wave before bed and woke up with ridiculous nightmares and shakes. Not sure what today holds but ive seen some promising signs. Ive probably started to have better moments, hours and almost a day since the start of December. For me Im 16 months off Antidepressants.

Was on 30mg (Lexapro) for 7-8yrs20mg for 3 months (This was my choice my Doc wanted me to drop much faster)15 mg 2week10mg 2 weeks 5 mg 1 week0 since August 24th . PPI Dexlant  30 mg taper has begun. Cutting 20% currently.  using zantac as needed.  Benzo is currently 0.10mg 

Ya the Intense Anxiety ive actually nailed what it feels like. I used to occasionally smoke Marijuana before WD . Sometimes when I would smoke way too much id get really paranoid and have a bad trip. This is what my anxiety/panic attacks feels like.

Was on 30mg (Lexapro) for 7-8yrs20mg for 3 months (This was my choice my Doc wanted me to drop much faster)15 mg 2week10mg 2 weeks 5 mg 1 week0 since August 24th . PPI Dexlant  30 mg taper has begun. Cutting 20% currently.  using zantac as needed.  Benzo is currently 0.10mg 

Anyone feel in your stomach like your about to go off the top of a roller coaster? It is so bad while driving I can hardly stand it. My stomach is tied in knots, New symptom 3 years out.

April 2013 Doc put me back on 40mg of celexa for 2.5 weeks than switched to Paxil 3 weeks adverse reaction and kindling reaction
July 2013 5mg celexa and .5mg klonopin daily

5/15/16 started lamictal and currently at 25mg daily once a day.

1/1/17 crossed over from .5mg klonopin to 10mg Valium.

3/1/17 off celexa from getting down to around .25mg.

5/25/17 started tapering the Valium from 10mg to 9mg

6/25/17 dropped down to 8mg Valium 

currently on 8mg of Valium and 25mg of lamictal once a day in the morning never could handle more than 25mg of lamictal and never really felt anything from it.

7/2/17 updosed to 10mg Valium and holding split twice a day and holding.

3/1/18 dropped Valium from 10mg to 9.5mg

4/1/18 dropped Valium from 9.5 to 9mg still on 25mg lamictal.

Updosed 6/20/18 Valium 10mg and 25mg lamictal and holding.

Its anxiety.

On various meds since 2004(Luvox, Paxil-5 years, Zoloft, Trazodone, etc) for anxiety.
CT Luvox 20th September 2013, started Klonopin 1mg (now on 0.25mg). Hellish depression, burning head, crying spells,extreme emotional rollercoaster, severe fibro-neuropathy like pains-never had any of this prior to meds. 31 months off and its worse and worse no life AT ALL.

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, I agree, its surprising you haven't felt this until now, its a common symptom. Have a look through this topic and see if you relate to what others have described:

Fear, terror, panic, and anxiety - Surviving Antidepressants *topics merged

Edited by Petunia
updated

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

I have had all the symptoms and mind gripping anxiety and panic attacks all the time. But never this bad in the stomach where I almost can't drive.

April 2013 Doc put me back on 40mg of celexa for 2.5 weeks than switched to Paxil 3 weeks adverse reaction and kindling reaction
July 2013 5mg celexa and .5mg klonopin daily

5/15/16 started lamictal and currently at 25mg daily once a day.

1/1/17 crossed over from .5mg klonopin to 10mg Valium.

3/1/17 off celexa from getting down to around .25mg.

5/25/17 started tapering the Valium from 10mg to 9mg

6/25/17 dropped down to 8mg Valium 

currently on 8mg of Valium and 25mg of lamictal once a day in the morning never could handle more than 25mg of lamictal and never really felt anything from it.

7/2/17 updosed to 10mg Valium and holding split twice a day and holding.

3/1/18 dropped Valium from 10mg to 9.5mg

4/1/18 dropped Valium from 9.5 to 9mg still on 25mg lamictal.

Updosed 6/20/18 Valium 10mg and 25mg lamictal and holding.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thankfully, my intense fear and panic symptoms have reduced considerably, but while researching glycine I came across this:

Supplement Glycine

Another approach that works for many is supplementing glycine during a panic attack. Glycine switches off noradrenalin thus reducing the feeling of panic. The best way to get it in fast is to break open four capsules (usually 500mg) putting 2 grams under your tongue where it can absorb sublingually more quickly than orally. You can keep doing this every few minutes, up to a maximum of 10 grams. No side-effects have been reported at these doses.

https://www.patrickholford.com/advice/natural-solutions-to-anxiety

I bought some glycine for improved sleep quality and have no need to try it for intense fear now, so can't test this out, but I thought I would share it.

As with all supplements in withdrawal, start with a low dose to see how it effects you.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

Hey Petunia are you still taking the Ltheanine aswell? Glycine sounds good, so is it more to be taken as a prn when you feel intense anxiety?

• Moderator Emeritus

I still take L-Theanine occasionally, it works well for me, but I found that Inositol works even better, I can't really explain why it feels better, its a subtle difference. I take half a teaspoon every 4 hours or so and feel calm in a more natural way than when I was taking the L-Theanine regularly. When I take L-Theanine, I tend to lay on my bed blissfully doing nothing and have the feeling I need to drink some coffee to get myself motivated again, but I'm off caffeine at the moment, so I can't. Small confession, I did drink some real coffee earlier today, along with 50mg of L-Th, one quarter real coffee, three quarters decaff.

Many people use Glycine for improved sleep, but I just found this reference to using it to lower anxiety and panic, it sounds like that's the way you would use it. (PRN) I don't have any experience of it myself because my capsules only arrived today.

As with all these supplements, the best thing to do is try them one at a time, starting with a small dose to find out how its going to effect you. Goodness knows I've tried a lot of stuff that hasn't worked before finding things that do... we are all so different.

If anyone has problems locating supplements locally, Swanson's online and iHerb.com are stores with reasonable prices and good reviews who ship internationally.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Thanks for the review. I have just started the L theanine. I bought it at 200mg so I dump out half the pill. It still feels a bit too strong cause I feel something going on in my head. I may buy a lower dose and use half or just pour out 3/4 of the capsule . I think it works though but I cant tell for certain yet. Ive taken maybe 3 pills. My anxiety is really off and on. Some days no signs of it at all. So for me I guess id want something to use when I feel the waves of fear/panic coming on. Glycine might be a better fit for me im not sure.

Inositol I did try before Medication. It was okay. Id try it again but I have a super sensitive stomach which could be a problem. I miss the regular coffees aswell! I was having them up until a month ago. My system has been changing. Enjoy the coffee ! Thats one thing ill enjoy having sometime down the road. I used to drink it every evening before WD. Those were the days! I settle for a couple squares of Dark Chocolate now.

One theory I have whether relavent or not would be that Im taking 0.125mg of clonazapam and maybe my body is used to it. I have been taking it at this dose for 6-8 months. I don't wanna go up in dose but I do want my neuro anxiety to abate

Paxil 10mg 21/2 years to June 2012 after a 2 month taper

I apologise I ve stumbled upon this late in the day, and doubtless you know the benzodiazapine you are taking is highly addictive with possibly a worse WD syndrome than ADs. Have a look on benzo buddies. Upping the dose is climbing the ladder of doom. Must be very hard for you to tell what is causing what

Paxil 10mg 21/2 years to June 2012 after a 2 month taper

I definitely won't up the dose. If anything Ill take less.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

I haven't been able to work since March but akathisia has only been part of the problem. I had gut pain for 10 months and couldn't eat food for 3 months. I couldn't control this pain, only time took it away. Than I had fatigue so bad that I couldn't walk my dog for about 6 months or clean up after myself. Now I have a mixed bag of symptoms but they are all starting to weaken. My waves are still very very bad but my windows are better and longer. Yesterday I almost had a full window throughout the day and evening. I hit an akathisia wave before bed and woke up with ridiculous nightmares and shakes. Not sure what today holds but ive seen some promising signs. Ive probably started to have better moments, hours and almost a day since the start of December. For me Im 16 months off Antidepressants.

Mort can you explain your gut pain in more detail?  

I have been experiencing lower abdominal pain for the last 3 weeks and can't figure out what the problem is.  Is it muscular or something else?

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

• 1 month later...

I looked at the title of this thread and the first post

Fear, terror, panic, and anxiety

she was six years into wd and had the worst panic attack of her life actually three of them that wk....

and I thought of drug induced Post Traumatic Stress Disorder... how I read last wk it was drug induced in soldiers... things started clicking but then I thought what if you had this before the drugs... I didn't but I sure had it after as well as a changing diagnosis from pain to depression to can't even recall them all but ended with PTSD which is basically every dx you can think of under one title or wd... would be another good name for it... :) 

Just wondering what you folks here would think of this. 

Has anyone else seen info about drug induced PTSD/?  I can't recall if I posted it here or not. 

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

• 3 weeks later...

I know that sometimes rumination and obsession can occur because of anxiety, but has anyone else ever had extreme anxiety over ruminating or getting stuck/obsessed thinking or worrying about anxiety?

I know most people just fixate on a fear or physical symptom they have anxiety about, but I feel like my anxiety has evolved into an awareness OF the rumination and has now become a trigger. I catch myself worrying/thinking about the anxiety and then immediately get anxiety because I cant seem to stop, no matter how hard I try to focus on something else or quiet my mind.. I then have anxiety over the fact that I cant stop thinking about how I cant stop thinking and so on..

I miss being able to just think without having anxiety over being introspective and being able to sit and watch a movie without anxious thoughts running through my head.

Its a terrifying cycle of getting stuck in thought and I have no idea how to fix this.. I know that increased anxiety causes/makes this worse, but Im afraid that I will never be able to reduce the underlying anxiety because I fixate so heavily on this fear.

It feels like Im stuck thinking in circles. It feels very similar to the last time I took and discontinued Citalopram and developed some sort of almost Sensorimotor OCD where I couldnt stop thinking about or manually controlling my breathing. Ive never had any other sorr of OCD afterwards.

How are you supposed to get past something like this? Does it just eventually fix itself or one day you just dont really care as much and its easier to dismiss? Is this classified as intrusive thoughts, racing thoughts, or just plain old anxiety?

Has anyone else had this issue? Is this just a normal part of withdrawal? Day 20 off of Citalopram.

2015: Citalopram 20mg (2 months) - Venlafaxine HCL ER 75mg (3 weeks)

2016: Citalopram 20mg (6 weeks) - Sertraline 37.5mg (3 days)

I had horrible side effects from the Venlafaxine 75mg, used Fluoxetine 20mg for a week to quickly taper down the Venlafaxine to 37.5mg before discontinuing. I was switched to Citalopram 20mg 5 weeks later and was on them for around 6 weeks before discontinuing due to rare and severe side effects. The Citalopram was making me both mentally and physically ill, caused OCD-like symptoms and severely increased anxiety.

March 26th, 2016: Discontinued Citalopram 20mg. Suffering from Cognitive Impairment, Memory Issues, Blurred Vision, Dizziness, Brain Fog, Increased Anxiety, DP/DR, Neuro-emotions, Heart Palpitations, Brain Zaps, Shortness of Breath, Tunnel Vision, Difficulty Concentrating or Focusing.

April 24th, 2016: Reinstated 10mg Citalopram. Withdrawal symptoms reduced, side effects returned. Insomnia, tiredness, feeling drugged. Mental clarity improved, anxiety reduced.

Yes definitely, particularly health anxiety.

The anxiety on top of anxiety made me so ill last month - messed up my menstrual cycle, terrible IBS, crying frequently and a crazy amount of exercising took place to try and calm my anxiety down.

I also had the worst depression and suicidal ideation to add to the wonderful mix.

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

• Moderator Emeritus

How are you supposed to get past something like this? Does it just eventually fix itself or one day you just dont really care as much and its easier to dismiss? Is this classified as intrusive thoughts, racing thoughts, or just plain old anxiety?

Has anyone else had this issue? Is this just a normal part of withdrawal? Day 20 off of Citalopram.

Hi Liquid, 

Yes, this is a VERY common issue in withdrawal.  The cure really is time, but in the meantime you do your best to not develop panic due to secondary fear.  Many people find this syndrome vanishes when they are in a window.  If you haven't already visited this thread, please do so:

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Many say that none of these methods work, but you gotta keep trying.  I think a lot of people are able to settle down when they practice Acknowledge, Accept and Float (AAF).  This means Acknowledging that all of this is withdrawal, Accept that this is withdrawal and that it will pass, and let then let the anxiety Float away.  The more time you spend reading around peoples' threads, the more you will see them go through what you are, but then come to that place of Acceptance which then allows them to settle and find peace with their situation.  The  more you fight it the more suffering you cause yourself.

I hope that helps.  No magic bullets here, unfortunately :-(  It is what it is, but how you process it makes all the difference!

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

Petunia,

I have been utilizing CBT techniques for my fears and it seems to be really helping me. I too, as you state, fear getting sicker as I taper, or if so, no one there for my wife and daughters. I know how hard that can be to feel, but I also know it is a risk that must be taken to heal, to end our dependence on medication. Is it easy? No...but anything worth having, I believe...is never easy to acquire. I truly live by this thought.

On zoloft since 2000 for OCD/anxiety. Tapered off from 150mg to 100, 50, 25 over Dec/Jan 2015. After month n half off, began depression. Being terrified, as I never had depression before, after a few days, went back to 50mg, then five days later to 100mg. Now stable. I will stop this medication, with time and perseverance...my current taper level and timing are as follows, which includes No other Rx's, No alcohol, NEVER any illicit drugs:

84mg from October 2016

82mg from February 2017

79mg from April 2017

77mg from June 2017

75mg from July 2017

"Yesterday is History, Tomorrow a Mystery, Today is a Gift." - Eleanor Roosevelt

"Forces beyond your control can take away everything you possess except one thing, your freedom to choose how you will respond to the situation." - Viktor Frankl

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, it can help Anxiety, but, I would only use it as needed. 

Edited by KarenB
merged similar topics

Past AD Experiences : (Fluvoxamine 3 years, D/C'd @ age 15).

Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it

~Terry Pratchett~

WITHDRAWAL REGIMEN/STORY

Originally for OCD, the luvox took about 6 months to taper off.

Withdrawal supplements; lemon balm, Vitamin B3, black water/fulvic acid, high-protein diet to restore neurotransmitters, aniracetam to counter memory issues, deprenyl for persisting anhedonia.

Regimen still maintained til this day. Lemon balm, generally as capsules, however, as I suffer chronic Insomnia, I often use essential oil or as aromatherapy before bed , in combination with magnesium and lysine on bad nights.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, it can help Anxiety, but, I would only use it as needed. 

What are you talking about  glycine Inositol L theanine...or something else... does everything that slows down the creeps have an addictive side... I do wonder about that feedback loop if we mess with it does that send a message back that something is too low so the brain increases it making our situation even worse than before... 

anyone?

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

• 1 month later...

Hi guys. I'm just wondering if anyone has experienced anxiety from consuming potatoes? Is it a well known phenomenon within anxiety/depression circles?

Thanks!

Edited by KarenB
merged topics

• Moderator Emeritus

Never heard of it!  But then I googled around because the thought intrigued me.  It seems that it can be an issue for some people:

'Every time you eat too many carbs in the way of breads, pasta, rice, potatoes, desserts, pastries, soda or sweet coffee drinks you send blood sugar and insulin surging and crashing. When this happens daily it can create a multitude of neurological symptoms, including anxiety, depression, mood swings, irritability, and fatigue. Skipping meals and drinking too much coffee also feeds this cycle. A lower-carb, whole foods diet with enough healthy proteins and fats can keep energy on an even keel and tame anxiety.'    From http://drflannery.com/what-causes-anxiety/

Maybe put lots of butter on your potatoes? :)

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

I just had potato salad and (not sure it was this because  ate some other stuff) my digestion was affected and I  am still sensitive today.  . Today I am not doing so well digesting stuff. I am wondering whether potatoes are  hard to digest in general unless they are mashed?

2006-2007 Lexapro (not sure of dose) in 2006

2007 Stopped abruptly. Developed serious wd symptom.Went back after two weeks and  tapered successfully over 3 months

November 2013  started 10 mg of Celexa for hormonal symptoms

early 2014 cutdown Celexa to 5 mg.Attempted to get off it November 2014 and had  

Anxiety increased  every time I used  an OTC or had stress.

April-May Cortisol spike problems 

July 2016 Started taking liquid Celexa 7.5 mg

June 2021 I finished my taper en

Severe anxiety and insomnia

June 2022 symptoms omproved

July 2023 gut issues and sleep issues contnue

I've heard that newly cooked warm potatoes are worse than cooked potatoes that have cooled down. When potatoes cool down the starches change their shape and glycemic index is lowered. And that means the sugars are absorbed more slowly. And maybe that could affect how one feels after consuming potatoes?

Do you feel the same way when consuming other high-carb food?

1997-1999 Citalopram 20 mg

1999-2014 Sertraline 50 mg

2012 Sertraline very quick taper due to side effects. Switched to Wellbutrin 150 mg-300 mg. Reinstated Sertraline 25 mg-50 mg.

2013 Exhaustion. Wellbutrin 150 mg. Sertraline 75 mg-100 mg.

Sept 2014 Found this site. Started tapering. Sertraline 87,5 mg + Wellbutrin 150 mg 

Aug 2015 No more Wellbutrin!! Sertraline 50 mg

2016 Sertraline 35 mg (January) - 33 mg (March 21st) - 32,5 mg (July 11) - 32 mg (July 27)

2017 March 28,2 mg and holding

no, I do well with rice. I also do well with oats. I can eat bananas and blueberries. Occasionally I eat bread and crackers. I am feeling better so I will have organic chicken noodle soup with oyster crackers.

2007 Stopped abruptly. Developed serious wd symptom.Went back after two weeks and  tapered successfully over 3 months

It could be due to electrolyte disturbances. I have had a few disturbances like that in withdrawal. Hyponatremia (too little sodium), hyperkalemia (too high potassium), hypermagnesemia (too much magnesium). Other electrolytes have not been measured. Potatoes contain a lot of potassium. 

Could it be potato allergy or intolerance? Check out this link:

http://www.allergiesexplained.com/pages/Potato%20Allergy%20and%20Intolerance.htm

It seems potatoes can cause a wide variety of symptoms, including neurological and mental, in people who are allergic to them!

1997-1999 Citalopram 20 mg

1999-2014 Sertraline 50 mg

2012 Sertraline very quick taper due to side effects. Switched to Wellbutrin 150 mg-300 mg. Reinstated Sertraline 25 mg-50 mg.

2013 Exhaustion. Wellbutrin 150 mg. Sertraline 75 mg-100 mg.

Sept 2014 Found this site. Started tapering. Sertraline 87,5 mg + Wellbutrin 150 mg 

Aug 2015 No more Wellbutrin!! Sertraline 50 mg

2016 Sertraline 35 mg (January) - 33 mg (March 21st) - 32,5 mg (July 11) - 32 mg (July 27)

2017 March 28,2 mg and holding

Thanks for the link. Interesting! I haven't been paying attention to potatoes very much and I don't eat them that often. Just in case I'll stay away from them. I do fine eating rice as my side dish.

• Moderator Emeritus

People can have issues with plants in the nightshade family: potatoes, tomatoes, green/red/yellow peppers, eggplant, tobacco.  I can't remember what the specific compound is that causes negative reactions, but there's always dear google. :D

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• Moderator Emeritus

And sometimes it's not the plant/food itself we react to, but the ways it has been changed/treated with sprays/hormones etc. 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

• Moderator Emeritus

Potatoes for lunch today.......potato soup and some fries.  No anxiety but just really tired about a half hour after eating.  I love occasional potatoes.  Hopefully just a mild transient case of too much of them for me.

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

It's most likely the carbohydrates which, as the second poster here said, are sending sugar up and Insulin bursts are being repeated.

Past AD Experiences : (Fluvoxamine 3 years, D/C'd @ age 15).

Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it

~Terry Pratchett~

WITHDRAWAL REGIMEN/STORY

Originally for OCD, the luvox took about 6 months to taper off.

Withdrawal supplements; lemon balm, Vitamin B3, black water/fulvic acid, high-protein diet to restore neurotransmitters, aniracetam to counter memory issues, deprenyl for persisting anhedonia.

Regimen still maintained til this day. Lemon balm, generally as capsules, however, as I suffer chronic Insomnia, I often use essential oil or as aromatherapy before bed , in combination with magnesium and lysine on bad nights.

• Moderator Emeritus

:)Thanks.  And while that is all happening.......the sugar spikes and insulin bursts.........a bit of dumbness sets in.........LOL..........not to be confused with my W/D cognitive impairment.   I had read the whole thread after it was started but well, oh........it is what it is.........

Thanks though as I will probably get an A1C???  next week.  With my lab work at the doctors.  The test where it measures your blood sugars over time.  I had forgotten that he usually does that one along with the rest.  So far, for me.........so good......... but time to get going on the low glycemic diet and choices of foods.

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Moderator Emeritus

Mort, you are another person now who I have found say that a panic attack feels like a bad trip using a hallucinogen. That's very much how I have experienced panic. I actually differentiate anxiety and panic for myself (on a continuum actually) where anxiety will build as primarily physiological symptoms, and once the mind stuff starts to kick in (mind gets foggy, intense fear kicks in, feels like I'm going crazy and it will never end - "bad trip") then I start to understand that for myself as a panic attack. Is this de-realization, btw?

Both anxiety and panic for me are generalized. If there seems to be source connected to my experience, I call that fear. But sometimes it's both. Like with me for work, I'm not working, haven't worked for over a year, and I have a lot of fear about being able to go back to work. However, this "fear" feels much larger than simply the "rational" things I can point to. So I would say I have generalized anxiety about doing back to work, too.

My introduction to psych meds began with an onset of panic attacks in college 25+ years ago. As I've experience protracted withdrawal and actual WD (and how I've still experience intense anxiety while on meds for those many years), it's no surprise to me that I continue to experience increased anxiety, sometimes pushing its way up into the panic levels as I WD. And of course, anxiety and depression go hand in hand. The more I struggle with anxiety and not being able to "escape" it, the more depressed I get. I too have found that the practice of simply "being with" the anxiety (acceptance?) as opposed to fighting it or even fighting to "let go" of it has been the only approach that seems to make sense in dealing with it. Distraction can work sometimes like a bandaid that can temporarily alleviate the symptoms, but I've found I can't run with distraction forever, nor do I want to.

Petunia I also experience anxiety worst generally when I wake up. Sometimes it fades on its own in the am, but oftentimes it sticks with me until sometime between 3 and 7 p.m. when oftentimes I feel like it "releases control" of me (tension in my body dissipates, my mind becomes more clear, and I feel relatively "normal"). It's kind of like a daily cycle of wave to window. There are some days the window never comes, but perhaps that helps me remember to appreciate the windows when the do come.

And Petunia, I think it was you who talked about anxiety in the context of a spiritual awakening (Adyashanti, Chogyam Trungpa, Pema Chodron). I do have times when I can view what I'm going through at least in part in a spiritual framework such as this. Pema in particular has been inspirational to me in this way. I was raised Jewish but the concepts I had religiously as a child no longer work for me. But I do feel an openness (again at times) to the idea that my "suffering" is part of a spiritually evolutionary process I'm going through. And perhaps I might not only get to a place of greater peace, but also be of benefit to others.

Note: it's about 6:30 pm when I'm writing this, and as I've been typing this out on my phone (which has taken some time!), I've felt the grip of anxiety releasing a bit. My earlier posts today are frought with fear and anxiety :( So goes my daily anxiety cycle. And I SO want to never forget gratitude for the experience of inner peace when it happens! It's a practice I suppose :)

My suggestions are not medical advice. They are my opinions based on my own experience, strength and hope.

You are in charge of your own medical / healing / recovery choices.

My success story |  My introduction thread

ZOLOFT FREE - COMPLETELY DRUG FREE 4/28/2019! - total time on 28+ years

BENZO FREE! 4/7/2018 - total time on 27+ years

REMERON FREE! 12/11/2016 - total time on 15 months

Caffeine & Nicotine Free 2014 / 2015 - smoked for 28 years

Alcohol Free 4/1/2014 - drank for 30 years

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy