SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Linden, 2008 Post-traumatic embitterment disorder

Altostrata

• Administrator

Angry at your doctor for prescribing multiple psych drugs and ignoring the side effects? Disgusted with the ignorance and pretensions of psychiatry? You've just developed a new mental illness!

Psychother Psychosom. 2008;77(1):50-6. Epub 2007 Dec 14.

Posttraumatic embitterment disorder in comparison to other mental disorders.

Linden M, Baumann K, Rotter M, Schippan B.

Source

Research Group Psychosomatic Rehabilitation, Charité University Medicine Berlin, Germany. michael.linden@charite.de

Abstract at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18087208

BACKGROUND:

The term 'posttraumatic embitterment disorder' (PTED) was recently introduced to describe a subtype of adjustment disorders, characterized by prolonged embitterment, severe additional psychopathological symptoms and great impairment in most areas of life in reaction to a severe negative but not life threatening life event. The aim of this study is an empirical description and validation of the clinical concept of PTED, by comparing clinically defined PTED patients with patients suffering from other mental disorders on measures of posttraumatic stress and psychopathological distress.

METHODS:

Fifty inpatients, suffering from PTED according to previously defined clinical diagnostic criteria, were compared with another 50 patients, matched by age and gender, who did not meet clinical criteria for PTED but for other mental disorders. Psychiatric diagnoses were assessed by the Mini International Neuropsychiatric Interview. Self-report measures included the Bern Embitterment Scale, the Impact of Event Scale, the PTED Self-Rating Scale and the SCL-90.

RESULTS:

According to the Mini International Neuropsychiatric Interview both groups fulfilled the criteria for many disorders with a significantly higher occurrence of major depression and chronic adjustment disorder but less generalized anxiety disorder lifetime in PTED patients. Patients with PTED scored significantly higher on the global scores and on most subdimensions of the SCL-90, the Impact of Event Scale, the Bern Embitterment Scale and the PTED Self-Rating Scale.

CONCLUSIONS:

Clear differences were found between PTED patients and patients with other mental disorders in regard to the quality and intensity of psychopathological as well as posttraumatic stress symptoms. PTED can help further subclassify and specify adjustment and reactive disorders.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

OMG, Alto.....

TBH, when I first logged in and viewed the headline I thought you had created a topic thread with a humorous, sarcastic title, intented to illicit discussion.

I suppose nothing should shcck me anymore when it comes to psychiatry or the medical profession in general but HOW SICK is this????

It's NATURAL to have strong reactions to the "so-called" medical professionals who have been instrumental in ruining one's life, whether the damage was life threatening or not.

Having one's health damaged IS a MAJOR LIFE ALTERING EVENT. I can hardly speak anymore about this subject since, I'm still in Trauma stage and thus, can't even allow myself to feel the anger and bitter feelings too intensely, since it sets off my CNS. Oh, I shouldn't have revealed this since, I will be categorized and stigmatized by the medical profession as having PTED. (lol)

Actually, here's another disorder for them: TSD (Traumatic Stifle Disorder)

Definition: the conscious and intentional act of dampening down/suppressing one's JUSTIFIED rage and emotional reactions, in an effort to reduce present state of trauma .......trauma that has been created by medical injury, malpractice and abuse.

Treatment: To avoid medical professionals as much as possible, along with all recommended treatment.

So, at the present time I suffer from TSD but as I recover the rage will likely come closer to the surface, my CNS able to handle my strong emotions, at which time I will graduate into the category of PTED.

After I walk through that journey, my next dysfunctional stage will be to take on some of these arrogant idiots and expose the brutality of their crimes.

That stage, I'll label as PTREED (Post Traumatic Rage Entitlement Enactment Disorder) LOL

Recommended treatment option: exercising one's right to engage in holding the medical profession and government agencies accountable for the inhumane atrocies perpetrated against innocent patients.

How ridiculous is that report?? As humans, we are now not allowed to feel bitter/angry for justifiable reasons.

I get the drift of what they're trying to relay re: it becomes pathological when one becomes obsessed and locked into the bitter mode, thus creating personal, ongoing psychological suffering which can manifest physiologically.......but we all know how they will use such a category, in an irresponsible manner, as a means to misdiagnose and hence, medicate people.

The only psychopathology I see is that demonstrated by those who wrote this report, along with those who conducted the study. One would have to be mentally ill to blindly swallow such garbage. We all know how blind shrinks are. (lol)

Am I bitter? Damn right I am. I consider myself to be vibrantly healthy for having such a natural reaction to abuse. It proves that I have a desire to live, thrive.....that I have enough self-respect to fight for myself and for others, against the crimes committed by the medical profession, pharma companies and our government.

It would be more disordered to be passive about what has happened to me, since that would reflect a lack of desire to thrive/live (roll over an die sort of deal). It would indicate a form of lifelessness....absence of self.

We all know WHY these types of studies are conducted and why these categories are created. It's just yet, another disorder that needs to be medicated.

Oh, I better just move on out of this thread. Sorry.........just needed to vent my thoughts about this and if I've misinterpreted the report then please do set me straight. (lol)

Punar (now currently labelled with yet, another disorder compliments of THE PATHOLOGICAL ASSOCIATION OF MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS) :D

To Face My Trials with "The Grace of a Woman Rather Than the Grief of a Child". (quote section by Veronica A. Shoffstall)

Be Not Afraid of Growing Slowly. Be Afraid of Only Standing Still.

(Chinese Proverb)

I Create and Build Empowerment Within Each Time I Choose to Face A Fear, Sit with it and Ask Myself, "What Do I Need to Learn?"

• Administrator

LOL, Pun! Sounds like you have a DIY Editorial in you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

LOL, Pun! Sounds like you have a DIY Editorial in you.

LOL! Alto, TBH, if I don't utilize humour and sarcasm, at this time, my trauma will consume me. I can't even talk about my true emotions too often regarding the medical profession since, my CNS can't handle the intensity, so I release my thoughts in this way as a coping mechanism.

Oh, just realized, I'm revealing another disorder. (LOL)

In any case, thanks for responding since, TBH, I was feeling paranoid about posting my thoughts but you've made me feel a bit more comfortable. I really needed that. Now I won't be rumminating and second guessing myself for the rest of the evening (as I do most times).

Gosh, it will be great to be free from the WD induced rumination factor.

Pun

To Face My Trials with "The Grace of a Woman Rather Than the Grief of a Child". (quote section by Veronica A. Shoffstall)

(Chinese Proverb)

I Create and Build Empowerment Within Each Time I Choose to Face A Fear, Sit with it and Ask Myself, "What Do I Need to Learn?"

Angry at your doctor for prescribing multiple psych drugs and ignoring the side effects? Disgusted with the ignorance and pretensions of psychiatry? You've just developed a new mental illness!

Psychother Psychosom. 2008;77(1):50-6. Epub 2007 Dec 14.

Posttraumatic embitterment disorder in comparison to other mental disorders.

? I just...I don't know what to say. I'm truly speechless. I'm just...well...I'll get back to you on this.

Been on SSRIs since 1998:

1998-2005: Paxil in varying doses

2005-present: Lexapro.

2006-early '08: Effexor AND Lexapro! Good thing I got off the Effexor rather quickly (within a year).

**PSYCHIATRY: TAKE YOUR CHEMICAL IMBALANCE AND CHOKE ON IT!

APA=FUBAR

FDA=SNAFU

NIMH=LMFAO

Currently tapering Lexapro ~10% every month:

STARTING: 15 mg

11/7/10: 13.5 mg

12/7/10: 12.2 mg

1/6/11: 10.9 mg

2/3/11: 9.8 mg

3/3/11: 8.8 mg

4/1/11: 7.8 mg

4/29/11: 7 mg

5/27/11: 6.4 mg

6/24/11: 5.7 mg

7/22/11: 5 mg

8/18/11: 4.5 mg

9/14/11: 4 mg

10/13/11: 3.6 mg

11/9/11: 3.2 mg

12/7/11: 2.6 mg

1/3/12: 2.1 mg

2/2/12: 1.8 mg

Too funny!

1996-97 - Paxil x 9 months, tapered, suffered 8 months withdrawal but didn't know it was withdrawal, so...

1998-2001 - Zoloft, tapered, again unwittingly went into withdrawal, so...

2002-03 - Paxil x 20 months, developed severe headaches, so...

Sep 03 - May 05 - Paxil taper took 20 months, severe physical, moderate psychological symptoms

Sep 03 - Jun 05 - took Prozac to help with Paxil taper - not recommended

Jul 05 to date - post-taper, severe psychological, moderate physical symptoms, improving very slowly

I too thought this was a joke when I started reading. And then I realized they are serious.

I couldnt even fully read that study because of all the reductionist mumbo-jumbo they put in it.

Im sure there'll be more new "disorders" to poke fun at when the next DSM comes out (which apparently, from what Ive read, a lot of the counselling profession will be rejecting as its becoming too complicated, link here if anyone is interested: http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/blog/dsm-5/content/article/10168/1874708?CID=rss&cid=dlvr.it).

LOL at your post, Punar. Gave me a much-needed chuckle.

Off Lexapro since 3rd November 2011.

• Moderator Emeritus

I thought it was a joke too. It is so important to have NOTHING to do with the "mental health" system as it now exists!

Pun, your post was hilarious!

1989 - 1992 Parnate* 

1992-1998 Paxil - pooped out*, oxazapam, inderal

1998 - 2005 Celexa - pooped out* klonopin, oxazapam, inderal

*don't remember doses

2005 -2007   Cymbalta 60 mg oxazapam, inderal, klonopin

Started taper in 2007:

CT klonopin, oxazapam, inderal (beta blocker) - 2007

Cymbalta 60mg to 30mg 2007 -2010

July 2010 - March 2018 on hiatus due to worsening w/d symptoms, which abated and finally disappeared. Then I stalled for about 5 years because I didn't want to deal with W/D.

March 2018 - May 2018 switch from 30mg Cymbalta to 20mg Celexa 

19 mg Celexa October 7, 2018

18 mg Celexa November 5, 2018

17 mg Celexa  December 2, 2019

16 mg Celexa January 6, 2018 

15 mg Celexa March 7, 2019

14 mg Celexa April 24, 2019

13 mg Celexa June 28, 2019

12.8 mg Celexa November 10, 2019

12.4 Celexa August 31, 2020

12.2 Celexa December 28, 2020

12 mg Celexa March 2021

11 mg  Celexa February 2023

Thanks Everyone! (blushing emoticon)

Punar

(Chinese Proverb)

• Altostrata changed the title to Linden, 2008 Post-traumatic embitterment disorder

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy