Needmylifeback: Dr was weaning down Xanax and replacing with buspar; I need off buspar asap!

Needmylifeback

I know all that. I personally Rxs, hooked up, programmed, and evaluated peritoneal dialysis for over 3yrs.

I have given you as much detail as I can on the reasons for the meds but you keep missing it:

Take away any one of the meds I take in the permeant category, OTHER PARTS OF MY BODY FAILS.

I have not EVER asked for any input on the complexity of my medical conditions.

I DID BEGIN by asking for info on tapering when ones liver is failing due to the introduction of a new drug: buspar!!!

My liver failure this summer is mostly related to having TWO septic organs for five years and an ortho dr who kept rxing lortab which left it so swollen I could not wear any pants.

I just needed direction in finding how to most safely drop off the buspar bc of buspar was causing an immediate crisis in an organ that had just barely begun to heal!

Withdrawing meds: * lexapro 20mg (?) since maybe winter 2009-10. Self weaned this summer stopping in sept 2013 (I just cut in half for a few weeks, then took every other day then a couple x a week then nothing); *Xanax 0.5mg 4xday (dr cut by 50% twice in 16days oct 5-21st. By late Nov, dropped from 1/2 a 0.5mg tab tid to bid...by dec 1st, I was suicidal. Told dr I had to hold!) am still holding at 1/4 a 0.5mg tab bid since early dec; *sept 9 began buspar 7.5mg bid, raised to 15mg bid oct, nov 23 raised it 30mg am holding pm dose at 15mg. By Dec 11th I knew my liver was heading into failure again... Heart rapidly moving towards stroke levels. BP escalating rapidly towards stroke levels... BP moving past 200/130+ and heart rate hitting 200s everyday after buspar dose. Ribs were burning from being pushed so far out by the swollen liver plus itching severe- needed scissors to scratch deep enough but still itching 24/7. Checked for buspar symptoms I had them all plus a few underlying conditions making buspar contraindicated. For me buspar is literally toxic.

*buspar taper:

~dec 11th dropped from 30mg am/15mg pm to 15mg am/pm

~dec 17th pm dropped to 12.5mg am/pm

~dec 29th pm dropped to 10mg am/pm

~jan 5th pm dropped to 7.5mg am/pm

~jan 7th pm dropped to 5mg am/pm {dropped in only two days under pressure from alto to drop Now... Bc she then realized I was referring to significant organ failures and was dealing with serious side effects not merely inconvenient ones. My w/d side effects spiked}

~jan 8th I raised the pm dose to 6.25mg leaving the am dose at 5mg; stayed at 5mg am/6.25mg pm for a few days

~jan 12th pm dropped to 5mg am/pm

~jan 18th pm dropped to 5mg am/3.75mg pm; experienced a crushing spike in symptoms including liver irritation and "lightening storm headaches" among others. Currently at this dose.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Needmylifeback

• Altostrata

• Meimeiquest

• mammaP

Top Posters In This Topic

Blacking out and this specific type of headache is a RESULT of BUSPAR. Now I am feeling it increasing again as I weaned the buspar down....

I was not expecting that! I thought the troublesome side effects would lessen as I had less of the drug in my system. But reading more posts I see many people DO have the worst side effects reared their heads when they got lower on their dose.

I realize you are panicked about my meds. If I were on dialysis would tell me to hurry and have my dr see what drugs he Rxd for in my bags?? Or to tell him how many hours I spend hooked up dialyzing?? Or the rate of effluent?? NO... it's ridiculous to go to the dr who Rxd these or whom I saw last month and went over every dose with to say "don't you want to look at these again?"

My point is: OUTSIDE OF THE PAIN CLINIC MEDS.... EVERYTHING ELSE IS PERMANENT TO KEEP MY Heart, Kidneys, liver, digestive system, hormone production, parastolsis, heart rhythms, fluid control and balance, metabolic processes, etc... Basically TO KEEP MY ENTIRE BODY FUNCTIONING.

This is WHY I did not open my story with my medical history. It's too complicated for most medically trained persons. I only asked about how to taper rapidly bc my liver is suddenly in crisis.

But for weeks I kept being told "go slow" and "10%" is recommended.... I didn't listen bc I knew my liver did not have six months to give. Now that others realize my liver crisis and my statements that buspar has been TOXIC for me people are very alarmed about things my drs and I have been aware of and living with for YEARS.

The ONLY drugs that can be eliminated EVER are pain meds + Xanax and buspar ... All Rxd by pain clinic. Everything else is being taken to keep me out of a coma and ALIVE and all my organs and metabolic process functional.

Withdrawing meds: * lexapro 20mg (?) since maybe winter 2009-10. Self weaned this summer stopping in sept 2013 (I just cut in half for a few weeks, then took every other day then a couple x a week then nothing); *Xanax 0.5mg 4xday (dr cut by 50% twice in 16days oct 5-21st. By late Nov, dropped from 1/2 a 0.5mg tab tid to bid...by dec 1st, I was suicidal. Told dr I had to hold!) am still holding at 1/4 a 0.5mg tab bid since early dec; *sept 9 began buspar 7.5mg bid, raised to 15mg bid oct, nov 23 raised it 30mg am holding pm dose at 15mg. By Dec 11th I knew my liver was heading into failure again... Heart rapidly moving towards stroke levels. BP escalating rapidly towards stroke levels... BP moving past 200/130+ and heart rate hitting 200s everyday after buspar dose. Ribs were burning from being pushed so far out by the swollen liver plus itching severe- needed scissors to scratch deep enough but still itching 24/7. Checked for buspar symptoms I had them all plus a few underlying conditions making buspar contraindicated. For me buspar is literally toxic.

*buspar taper:

~jan 7th pm dropped to 5mg am/pm {dropped in only two days under pressure from alto to drop Now... Bc she then realized I was referring to significant organ failures and was dealing with serious side effects not merely inconvenient ones. My w/d side effects spiked}

~jan 8th I raised the pm dose to 6.25mg leaving the am dose at 5mg; stayed at 5mg am/6.25mg pm for a few days

~jan 18th pm dropped to 5mg am/3.75mg pm; experienced a crushing spike in symptoms including liver irritation and "lightening storm headaches" among others. Currently at this dose.

Last night was my first drop from 7.5mg to 5mg.

Within minutes I blacked out trying to reach my bathroom counter. My head also had the new squeezing headache that had appeared with the light headedness and blacking out (along with a slew of known side effects from Buspar that I confirmed having) early after beginning the buspar in sept.... I think they were a confirmed reaction to the new med by the first week of oct. So they popped up stronger as I increased from 7.5bid to 15mg bid.... That's when they became disruptive.

Now I spent appx only one week at 10mg bid

Then only four doses (pm, am/pm, am) at 7.5mg

Dropped to 5mg last night (1/7)

..... Had immediate surge in unpleasant symptoms related to buspar

Took 5mg this morning (1/8)

.... again symptoms reared. Did Not like how that felt!! Typically I had dropped my pm dose, then drop my following am dose, but return my following pm dose back to it's prior level.... Which would mean taking 7.5mg tonight.

However.... At this level 2.5mg is a huge percentage....

So I took 6.125mg tonight (5mg + 1/4x 5mg= 6.125mg)

To me that seems like much less of a steep drop to be playing with.... So I will hold here for a few days and see how I am w 5mg am/6.125mg pm.

Not too much disparity in the dose! And not such a big drop to make when I even them up.

I have been awake for more than one hour now.... while my body is racked with painful bone-cold chills (thank you H1N1) I did not end up light headed, blacking out, or with that unique squeezing type of headache... When I took 6.125mg at bed on Jan 8.

Hoping that with the 6.125mg dose at bed will mean less severe symptoms when I take the lower 5mg in my morning dose.....

*buspar taper:

• Administrator

You may have noticed I have been talking about 1mg decreases.

The reason I keep on telling you to get ALL your drugs checked for interactions is because it's highly likely a drug-drug interaction with Buspar is not your only drug-drug interaction. It's only the one you're feeling most acutely. I suspect the drug traffic jam in your liver was there BEFORE you took Buspar.

You believe every one of your drugs is necessary, but what if one or more of them is causing the organ damage?

There's not much more I can suggest for you. You are aware of the need for gradual reduction as fast as you can tolerate. I hope you don't mind if I don't repeat myself further.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.