Psychedelic mushrooms, ayahuasca and other hallucinogens

BentBuddha

(NaturalNews) They're technically illegal in all 50 states. But so-called "magic mushrooms," or what street dealers and those in the know refer to as "shrooms," are a highly medicinal reparative food that scientific research put out by the University of South Florida suggests could be used to improve cognitive function. Researchers at the school found that a prominent substance in shrooms known as psilocybin, which is considered an illegal Schedule I drug by the federal government, has the ability to regenerate new brain cells and potentially even cure mental illness.

Much like the cannabinoids found naturally in cannabis, the psilocybin in shrooms binds to special receptors in the brain that help stimulate growth and healing, in this case brain cell growth and regeneration. After testing psilocybin on several groups of mice, the research team found that psilocybin helps repair damaged brains cells and alleviate or even cure mental disorders like post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and clinical depression.

Dr. Juan R. Sanchez-Ramos, M.D., Ph.D., lead author of the study, arrived at this conclusion after testing the effects of psilocybin on mice trained to fear an electric shock when hearing a sound associated with that shock. Mice given small doses of psilocybin learned to stop reacting to the noise much more quickly than those given no psilocybin, illustrating the ability of the compound to literally rewire neurons and promote positive changes in memory.

Recognized as a "nootropic" agent, psilocybin appears to have numerous pro-cognitive functions that can help improve the overall function of the brain's hippocampus, or HP, which is responsible for learning and converting short-term memories into long-term memories. According to Dr. Sanchez-Ramos' research, the ability of the HP to perform these and other functions is dependent upon the generation of new neurons in the brain, which psilocybin is capable of facilitating.

"The proposition that psilocybin impacts cognition and stimulates hippocampal neurogenesis is based on extensive evidence that serotonin (5-hydroxytryptamine or 5-HT) acting on specific 5-HT receptor sub-types (most likely the 5-HT2A receptor) is involved in the regulation of neurogenesis in hippocampus," says Dr. Sanchez-Ramos. "The in vitro and in vivo animal data is compelling enough to explore whether psilocybin will enhance neurogenesis and result in measurable improvements in learning."

Psilocybin as a side effect-free alternative to antidepressants

Because of its ability to stimulate new neuronal connections, psilocybin may also be effective in the treatment of depression. According to Higher Perspective, people who are depressed typically have an overactive prefrontal cortex, an area of the brain that is directly affected by psilocybin. Related research out of the U.K. confirms this, having found that psilocybin literally switches off the anterior cingulate cortex, allowing depressed individuals to experience relief.

"People with depression have overactive default mode networks and so ruminate on themselves, on their inadequacies, on their badness, that they are worthless, that they have failed -- to an extent that is sometimes delusional," says Professor David Nutt from Imperial College London's neuropsychopharmacology department. "[P]silocybin appears to block that activity and stops this obsessive rumination."

Be sure to check out Dr. Sanchez-Ramos' presentation at the Horizons 2011 gathering entitled "Effects of Psilocybin and other Selective Serotonin Agonists on Hippocampal Neurogenesis," which discusses in further depth how psilocybin affects brain function:
http://vimeo.com.

Sources for this article include:

http://vimeo.com

http://altering-perspectives.com

http://www.theguardian.com

http://science.naturalnews.com

http://www.naturalnews.com/043214_psychedelic_mushrooms_psilocybin_brain_cells.html

• Administrator

Magic mushrooms are neuroactive, as are all psychiatric drugs. Whether magic mushrooms do this or not, proliferation of brain cells is not necessarily a good thing. Proliferation of brain cells sometime indicates neurological injury.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 1 year later...
  • Administrator

scot, we're not big on the recreational drugs here. They can make withdrawal syndrome a lot worse.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I was treated once by a massage therapist who was sure she had permanent brain damage from some type of mushrooms. Not that's scientific, isn't it :) She believed she had to be on an AD because of it.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

• 4 weeks later...
Has Anyone Ever Heard of Ayahuasca?

With all herbal remedies there are no necessarily trustworthy sources of information.  The ones that want to promote it, make it sound like it can fix anything, and the ones against make it sound like you will drop dead directly after taking it.  I was curious if anyone out there has actually tried this treatment, and if they could share the results?  If you have opinions that are grounded in some sort of fact, I would like to hear those as well, I just don't want this post to turn into some sort of emotional mess   :)

Here is a link that a friend of mine sent me.  She has great intentions and wants the best for me, but admittedly has never tried this herself either.

http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/ayahuasca-amazonian-brew-may-be-most-powerful-antidepressant-ever-discovered

Thank you in advance anyone and everyone that takes time out to read and respond.  

Edited by Petunia
added title and merged topic with similar

Lexapro 20mg + Wellbutrin 150mg 5+yrs

Tried To Quit Before and Failed 2yrs ago

Cold Turkey again starting 10/1/15

Desperately trying to forever leave this cycle

I've tried it, just recently actually

Summer 2013: started on Prozac for OCD

Fall 2013: started Lexapro due to Prozac zombie effects

Stopped Lexapro because of lack of empathy/emotion,anxiety,lack of concentration etc.

Fall 2014: switched to zoloft 

February 2015: started effexor quit C/D after 2 weeks.

April 2015: was on zoloft for a month again to try and wean a bit more slowly. DID not work.

May 2015: dumped all of my medications

July 2015: Struggling day to day with withdrawal symptoms but hopeful that I'll be better at the end of august for the next school year.

2 weeks after the experience i had beautiful sleep. now I'm finding it more difficult 3 weeks later(after glow must be wearing off) . also i noticed i had more energy and was able to work out atleast 5-6 times a week, my mood has also changed. the symptoms that stayed are my brain fog,inability to focus,visual floaters, mini brain zaps,diarrhea,ringing in the ear.

although i think that's from my still dysregulated nervous system. My thought process before the trip was that if i can heal my brain or serotonin receptors from aya then maybe my body will eventually find it's way back and fix itself. i was wrong but i only did do it once and gain a couple of insights and benefits.
i wouldn't advise anybody to take ayahuasca unless you know what you're getting into, do tons of research first. it really isn't a drug to be taken lightly it will take you to a whole different dimension and take your soul out of your body until you don't know who you are anymore. it will also reveal many insights that you may or may not like. Part of me thought i wasn't going to make it out. the thing with it though is that you can't fight it you can only let go. it was as if i died and got reborn again.

Stopped Lexapro because of lack of empathy/emotion,anxiety,lack of concentration etc.

April 2015: was on zoloft for a month again to try and wean a bit more slowly. DID not work.

July 2015: Struggling day to day with withdrawal symptoms but hopeful that I'll be better at the end of august for the next school year.

• Moderator Emeritus

This is not something you want to be messing around with while in withdrawal. Your nervous system needs stability in order to recover.

i wouldn't advise anybody to take ayahuasca unless you know what you're getting into, do tons of research first. it really isn't a drug to be taken lightly it will take you to a whole different dimension and take your soul out of your body until you don't know who you are anymore. it will also reveal many insights that you may or may not like.

Definitely not something which will support recovery. Many people become very sensitive to drugs and supplements after they've experienced withdrawal symptoms for even a short time. Do not count on taking the big risks you used to take. See: The rule of 3KIS: Keep it simple. Keep it slow. Keep it stable.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

I've been interested in this for some time but too afraid to try it. My brain is a mess and don't want to risk making it even worse. I suppose this is for people who are more brave and willing to make experiments and risk their progress. I'm not willing to do that, not right now. But it's interesting to read of others' experiences. 

I suffer from depression, anxiety, pure-o ocd, and panic attacks since 2004. Been on multiple different psychiatric drugs since 2006. Never had a significant WD problem before, only brain zaps for a month and then I'd be fine...............Been on Cipralex (escitalopram) 15 mg and Fluanxol (flupentixol) 1 mg since Sep 2014. Stopped taking the Cipralex after a fast 20-day taper.Took the last 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 5th, 2015. Then took Seroxat (paroxetine) 10 mg for a week, and stopped it too. Severe WD started suddenly on Feb 16th. RI 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 18th, 2015. RI worked and was relatively stable for a while................April 7 - decreased Fluanxol from 1 mg to 0.5 mg and took it at this dose for a week. - BIG MISTAKE; April 13 - WD starts creeping in; April 14 - RI full dose of Fluanxol 1 mg => severe muscle twitching and jerking when trying to relax and fall asleep, overwhelming sense of doom, dread, terror, and horror, insomnia, hoping to stabilize.
Tried doing a 10% cut off Fluanxol in the end of May for a few days, but quickly updosed to full dose because the twitching returned.
Experiencing waves and windows in the following months.
Unsuccessful brief taper attempt of Fluanxol by 5% on November 1st. Symptoms hit the next day. Too scared to continue tapering, reinstate full dose.
Severe crash in November after stupidly trying a barbiturate on November 9th. Grave mistake. Sense of unshakable inescapable internal torture, like my soul is in hell being tortured, terror/horror/dread/doom (probably akathisia?) that gets especially bad when trying to relax and fall asleep, muscles twitch, jerk and move on their own, shaking, insomnia, can't eat, confusion, disorientation, brain not working normally. Never felt so bad in my entire life. Never experiment with other meds while in WD! Praying to God I stabilize and get back to my baseline.
December - things getting even worse.

January - unbearable suffering

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi rygolfer ,    whatever you read about individual experiences of ayahuasca is not applicable to someone during

drug withdrawal.   You do not have the brain chemistry of a normal person.

You are less than a month out after stopping . . . as Petunia says , your system needs stability , rest

and nourishment , not psychotropic substances.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Administrator

Throwing another neuroactive substance into the mix when your nervous system is already made vulnerable by withdrawal is highly, highly risky.

2 weeks after the experience i had beautiful sleep. now I'm finding it more difficult 3 weeks later(after glow must be wearing off) . also i noticed i had more energy and was able to work out atleast 5-6 times a week, my mood has also changed. the symptoms that stayed are my brain fog,inability to focus,visual floaters, mini brain zaps,diarrhea,ringing in the ear.

although i think that's from my still dysregulated nervous system. My thought process before the trip was that if i can heal my brain or serotonin receptors from aya then maybe my body will eventually find it's way back and fix itself. i was wrong but i only did do it once and gain a couple of insights and benefits.

i wouldn't advise anybody to take ayahuasca unless you know what you're getting into, do tons of research first. it really isn't a drug to be taken lightly it will take you to a whole different dimension and take your soul out of your body until you don't know who you are anymore. it will also reveal many insights that you may or may not like. Part of me thought i wasn't going to make it out. the thing with it though is that you can't fight it you can only let go. it was as if i died and got reborn again.

Based on this description, I'm now officially scared of this herbal remedy - sounds much like someone explaining magic mushrooms or LSD.

Based on this description, I'm now officially scared of this herbal remedy - sounds much like someone explaining magic mushrooms or LSD.

who wouldn't be scared it rips you away of what you know of as the truth & gives you a different perspective on me,you, and everybody else's existence. but IME that feeling only lasts a brief moment until you're  shown the beauty of life and how precious everything is. I cried my eyes out knowing i was still very much alive after all i've gone through in life and how grateful i am to have the kind of parents to support me with how hard they worked to put food on the table. psychedelics are such a profound gift given to us by the universe and I'm saddened that our current society have given it a bad rep and look down upon it when Millions of suffering people could heal from it (people who are suffering from negative states of being, past trauma,and anxiety before death usually cancer patients,)

Yeah i gotta agree with you though that's a terrible description of it aha maybe the current state of my nervous system had a lot to do with my experience. My mind was definitely fighting back on a lot of it though. my subconscious part of me kept saying i wouldn't make it because of the damage on my nervous system but my conscious part kept telling me that nobody has ever died from proper use of ayahuasca & that i will make it; the best i could do at that moment was to stop fighting & to let go. that was the same moment when i got the biggest feeling of peace. I'm not looking forward to doing it again while in my current state though.

Good conversation here and much appreciated.  I've just heard so many things...among those that it is a way to kind of wipe the slate clean emotionally, and undo some of the improper imprinting that your mind did so long ago (ultimately leading to the problems that I am trying to get treated for).  I'm not looking to try it anytime soon.  I'm feeling very good about the progress that I am making, and had a truly incredible day yesterday.  I felt actually normal.  A normalcy that I hadn't felt in YEARS.  It was like I was "feeling" for the first time.  I've already experienced the other side of the spectrum and felt the really ugly parts that I was trying to get rid of initially, start to come back as well.  But with each and every day, I have hope.  Hope that the best years of my life are still in front of me, and that my mind has matured enough to be able to handle the things that I couldn't handle before.  All of this sacrifice to ultimately feel what it is like to be alive again, and experience all of my thoughts and emotions.  If I am ready, I will count myself as truly blessed.

Lexapro 20mg + Wellbutrin 150mg 5+yrs

Tried To Quit Before and Failed 2yrs ago

Cold Turkey again starting 10/1/15

Desperately trying to forever leave this cycle

• Moderator Emeritus

If I were to look back at the South American native Ayahuasca traditions, this is not something you just "take."

There are Seers, who go on the journey with you.  They prepare you for a week before you go.  You live in a healing hut - alone in the forest for a month to digest the experience properly, coupled with daily diet and use of preparatory herbs. These shamans are trained professionals in the landscape of spirit, and they go on the journey with you, drumming and singing, and protecting you as you go.

Without such a navigator (and they do not accept people who have been on psych drugs, which we all have been), it is very dangerous indeed.  

I say this as an Experienced Traveller - recreational "renovations" of the brain are not advisable for healthy people.  For someone who has been on psych drugs - ever - and someone in withdrawal - never.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• 6 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

A clinical trial, which took years and significant money to complete due to the stringent regulatory restrictions imposed around the class 1 drug, has found that two doses of psilocybin, the active substance in the mushrooms, was sufficient to lift resistant depression in all 12 volunteers for three weeks, and to keep it away in five of them for three months.

All the volunteers had severe depression and had failed to improve on at least two standard antidepressants. They were initially given a low dose of psilocybin to ensure they had no adverse reactions (none did) and then a higher dose a week later. They were treated in a specially prepared room, with music playing and in the presence of two psychiatrists who talked with them throughout. The psychedelic experience lasted up to five hours.

The researchers said they did not know whether the effect of the drug was caused by chemical changes in the brain or whether the psychedelic experience, which people describe as spiritual or mystical, gives them a new perspective. Either way, they said psilocybin offered hope for those who had been depressed for an average of 18 years - the majority of the volunteers had been depressed most of their lives.

Amanda Feilding, founder of Beckley and co-director of the trial programme with Professor Nutt, said: “The results from our research are helping to understand how psychedelics change consciousness, and how this information can be used to find breakthrough treatments for many of humanity’s most intractable psychiatric disorders, such as depression, addiction and obsessive compulsive disorder.”

2001: 20mg paroxetine
2003-2014: Switched between 20mg citalopram and 10mg escitalopram with several failed CT's
2015: Jan/ Feb-very fast taper off citalopram; Mar/ Apr-crashed; 23 Apr-reinstated 5mg; 05 May-updosed to 10mg; 15 Jul-started taper; Aug-9.0mg; Sep-8.1mg; Oct-7.6mg; Nov-6.8mg; Dec-6.2mg
2016: Jan-5.7mg; Feb-5.2mg; Mar-5.0mg;  Apr-4.5mg; May-4.05mg; Jun-3.65mg; Jul-3.3mg; Aug-2.95mg; 04Sep-2.65mg; 25Sep-2.4mg; 23Oct-2.15mg; 13Nov-1.95mg; 04Dec-1.75mg; 25Dec-1.55mg.
2017: 08Jan-1.4mg; 22Jan-1.25mg; 12Feb-1.1mg; 26Feb-1.0mg; 05Mar-0.9mg; 15Mar-0.8mg; 22Mar-0.7mg; 02Apr-0.6; 09Apr-0.5mg; 16Apr-0.4mg; 23Apr-0.3; 03May-0.2mg; 10May-0.1mg

Finished taper 17 May 2017.

Read my success story

I am not a medical professional. The information I provide is not medical advice. If in doubt please consult with a qualified healthcare provider.

A clinical trial, which took years and significant money to complete due to the stringent regulatory restrictions imposed around the class 1 drug, has found that two doses of psilocybin, the active substance in the mushrooms, was sufficient to lift resistant depression in all 12 volunteers for three weeks, and to keep it away in five of them for three months.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/may/17/magic-mushrooms-lift-severe-depression-in-clinical-trial

It is important to consider the limitations of this pilot study; for example, although all patients showed some clinical improvements for at least 3 weeks after treatment, and no serious or unexpected adverse reactions were observed, enduring improvements beyond 3 weeks were not observed universally, and five of the 12 patients showed a degree of relapse at 3 months.

Do I get I right, that these are different findings?

• Moderator Emeritus

I've been thinking long and hard about whether or not to divulge this information, but I have a confession to make. I used to do psychedelic drugs on regular basis.

It was back in the early 90's and LSD and mushrooms were cheap and widely available. Me and my friends would take a trip a couple of times a month. We would have done it more often, but we had an older friend who used to do LSD everyday, it sent him a bit funny and he repeatedly warned us about the dangers of overindulging.

Anyway, my point is that during this whole time, about 2 years, I was never depressed, anxious or miserable in any way. In fact, thinking back on it, these were the best years of my life and what I would describe as the real me. I was confident, sociable, optimistic and life was good. 

Then, the rave scene came along. All the cool kids saw psychedelics as something that hippies did and they went out of fashion. It was almost impossible to get hold of them. I tried MDMA, coke and speed, but never really got on with any of those, so just gave up drugs altogether, until I went on antidepressants many years later.

I'm definitely not suggesting that anyone in withdrawal should take magic mushrooms, in fact that would be downright irresponsible and possibly very dangerous.

All I know is that the mushrooms had hardly any side effects and no withdrawal symptoms, and when compared to SSRI's are probably the lesser of two evils.

There might be something to this study. If I had my time over again, and knew then what I know now about SSRI's, I would certainly have given the mushrooms a try before I went anywhere near the AD's.

2003-2014: Switched between 20mg citalopram and 10mg escitalopram with several failed CT's
2015: Jan/ Feb-very fast taper off citalopram; Mar/ Apr-crashed; 23 Apr-reinstated 5mg; 05 May-updosed to 10mg; 15 Jul-started taper; Aug-9.0mg; Sep-8.1mg; Oct-7.6mg; Nov-6.8mg; Dec-6.2mg
2016: Jan-5.7mg; Feb-5.2mg; Mar-5.0mg;  Apr-4.5mg; May-4.05mg; Jun-3.65mg; Jul-3.3mg; Aug-2.95mg; 04Sep-2.65mg; 25Sep-2.4mg; 23Oct-2.15mg; 13Nov-1.95mg; 04Dec-1.75mg; 25Dec-1.55mg.
2017: 08Jan-1.4mg; 22Jan-1.25mg; 12Feb-1.1mg; 26Feb-1.0mg; 05Mar-0.9mg; 15Mar-0.8mg; 22Mar-0.7mg; 02Apr-0.6; 09Apr-0.5mg; 16Apr-0.4mg; 23Apr-0.3; 03May-0.2mg; 10May-0.1mg

Read my success story

I am not a medical professional. The information I provide is not medical advice. If in doubt please consult with a qualified healthcare provider.

Interesting.

I know a bunch of surfie boys who do regular holidays to bali for a mushroom milkshake - not the same not clinical, but none of them ended up like me. I wish I had gone with them instead of listening to pdoc who said I was too ill to travel.

Currently on 50mg Fluvoxamine. Reading more before the next attempt at tapering.

Started Lexapro 04, have been mostly on med combinations since for 12 years.

May 2015 - zeldox 80 - 100mg, fluvoxamine 200mg, dexamphetamine 10mg

Lorazepam and clonazepam on and off for over a decade. Heavily sedated with antipsychotics - mostly Zyprexa and seroquel. Many hospitalisations. Many types of therapy, last being 7 years of psychodynamic that only figured out my pain was real.

Pain meds - Lyrica 150mg palexia 100mg - discontinued eary 2016

Done ok so far but cant drop the last antidepressant without physical illness.

still a drug and maybe humans can't escape all drugs I don't know

I do know this:

"In fact, thinking back on it, these were the best years of my life and what I would describe as the real me. I was confident, sociable, optimistic and life was good."

that is what I would have said about myself on effexor not now but when I was taking effexor

Drugs are drugs are drugs... effexor like cocaine or booze all change our brains the amount of the drug length of time taken who knows.. we are in the infancy of understanding how drugs affect human brains. A lot of the information on the legal drugs is locked up in pharma vaults so it we may never know it all.  The last link I posted on the Grace E Jackson thread has some science on the damage done to our brains by psych drugs.  I would bet most street drugs taken every day for 20 years would show some of the same problems  

It does not say in the above study that the folks who were helped by mushrooms were past psych drug users... for us it maybe the only wise thing from here on out is to just say no. Always a very personal decision for sure but for me here on out it is a solid no... I can't even consider it. I am still pondering if I can risk a surgery I need cause of drug side effects. Weird the things we have to consider on planet earth these days.

Do you know what the active drug in mushrooms is... ?  I don't too lazy to look.

There were some old hippies in my town too who went on a trip and never quite came back I guess every age has it's drug victims. . 

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

I looked it up the fact that mushrooms can cause hallucinations was enough to put me into code blue...after prozac and wd hallucinations... I don't ever want to hallucinate again. The idea is terrifying.  

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

• Moderator Emeritus

Yep, drugs are drugs. I think the difference is that we, as a species, evolved alongside some drugs and our brians are able to cope with them a lot easier than the stuff they produce in a lab, which are totally alien to us. 

It's interesting research but, don't worry, I've had my fill of brain altering chemicals and I'm not going to go anywhere near any drugs ever again either. 

Read my success story

• 1 year later...
  • Administrator

As everybody knows, we here at SurvivingAntidepressants.org do not advocate experimenting with magic mushrooms or any gray-market drug. You never know exactly what you're getting and results are unpredictable even in people whose nervous systems have not been compromised by adverse drug reactions.

If you try street drugs or gray-market drugs and have an adverse reaction, we may not be able to provide you support as you recover and may ask you to leave the site.

• Altostrata changed the title to Psychedelic mushrooms, ayahuasca and other hallucinogens
  • 1 month later...
  • Mentor

Saw writer/professor Michael Pollan at a talk last night for his new book "How To Change Your Mind" about hallucinogens. I am pro-hallucinogens as medicine but not using during WD until my CNS calms down. And, I know, this is not a place to advocate for them. What I want to mention here, is that I was heartened by was the mainstream skepticism toward Big Pharma. The audience was large (he sells out), multi-racial and a lot of older more conservative-looking folks, not just young long-hairs with man buns. Frankly, at 51, I was in the middle of the audience bell curve.

He immediately talked about SSRI's, the NYT article and how they are coming to be seen as not a good "tool" when it comes to psychological health. And how big wigs in psychiatry (the head of NAMI and The APA) are positive about more studies with psychedelics. I am skeptical of that as there is so much $$$ being poured into psychiatry by pharmaceuticals. And, like he said, psychedelics are not addictive, there is diminishing returns with frequent use and pharma wants something you have to ingest every day. That is, they are not money-makers. It will be interesting in the next decade to see how this shakes out. My brain is cynical but my heart hopes.

As a final note, he talked about how psilocybin (the activating part of magic mushrooms) depresses the portion of the brain that is responsible for ego solidity; this was shown in fMRIs. The same part of the brain is depressed in experienced meditators, also shown in fMRIs. Ego dissolution provides us with different patterns in our thinking -- clears the ruts -- and progresses toward "neutral" mind where rumination can't exist. As a pro-ruminator, I am doing everything I can to get out of this habit. Currently, I am using "change the channel" which is effective and meditating when I go to yoga. However, I am adding it to my pre-bed routine... hope to addit in the norning soon as well (haven't gotten there yet). 😏

• Prozac | late 2004-mid-2005 | CT WD in a couple months, mostly emotional
  • Sertraline 50-100mg | 11/2011-3/2014, 10/2014-3/2017
  • Sertraline fast taper March 2017, 4 weeks, OFF sertraline April 1, 2017
  • Quit alcohol May 20, 2017
  • Lifestyle changes: AA, kundalini yoga

"If you've seen a monster, even if it's horrible, that's evidence of divinity." – Damien Echols

Folks this discussion is getting too close to advocating the use of illegal or highly controlled drugs.  SA does not condone this sort of drug usage.  In future posts please confine your discussions to the acceptable topics.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• Administrator

I cannot stress enough that if you have had a bad reaction or withdrawal symptoms from any psychiatric drug (or, for that matter, any psychoactive substance), your nervous system is probably sensitized and you should not experiment with other psychoactive substances, whether they're touted as "miracle" drugs or not.

Psychoactive drugs are trendy now to treat so-called psychiatric disorders. The glowing reviews you read are from people who have not had adverse reactions to them and whose nervous systems probably are not compromised by previous drug use. This is very important to remember: If your nervous system has been sensitized by withdrawal, whatever psychotherapeutic effect supplements, herbs, adaptogenics, and hallucinogenics might have DOES NOT APPLY TO YOU.

Experimentation with psychoactive substances is for people whose nervous systems are stable. If you do it, you could make yourself a lot worse, and the only remedy is to cope with your symptoms until they go away. We don't have any magic potions for you.

If you have a bad reaction to a psychedelic or other street drug, since you hurt yourself despite our warnings and we probably can't help you, you may be asked to leave SurvivingAntidepressants.org.

SurvivingAntidepressants.org is a site for going off psychiatric drugs. If you feel compelled to discuss experimentation with psychoactive substances in depth, please join a site such as http://www.bluelight.org/vb/content/ We take no responsibility for anything you might learn there or any encouragement you might get to experiment with drugs.

• Administrator

We're all watching with curiosity and amusement the experiments with psychedelics for psychotherapeutic purposes. It will be interesting to see what psychiatry does if undeniable benefit comes out of taking psychedelics in therapeutic settings.

I'm much more excited to see the ways people start incorporating practices like David Berceli's Trauma Releasing Exercises and various other neurogenic-tremor inducing practices to stimulate a parasympathetic state - that's what is really called for in this arena!

Taper commencing 14/06/18:

• Going down by 2.5mg per month from 35mg - once 2.5mg is bigger than the recommended 10%, I'll switch to a water solution. 
  • Planning to taper until October and then hold until 2019 - balancing study, work, life and holiday season.

Medication / withdrawal history:

• Tapered July 2016 to October 2016, unsuccessful and reinstated to 30mg (didn't track specifics)
  • Tapered March 2017 to August 2017, was unsuccessful and reinstated to 35mg (didn't track specifics).
  • Current taper - started 1st January 2018 @ 32.5mg and 2.5mg per month until I reach a dose where 2.5 is > 10% of dose.

Morning supplements:

B complex, Niagen, COQ10, Black seed oil, Vitamin C, Zinc, Fish Oil, EGCG, Bosweilla Extract, Curcumin (Longvida), Vitamin D, R-ALA, NAC, Ashwagandha (occasionally), Epimedium / Icariin, Resveratol.

Evening supplements:

NatureCalm Magnesium, Glycine, Ashwagandha, Reishi, Schisandra, Melatonin.

I also take Phenibut (maximum 3 times weekly at a dose that doesn't build tolerance) and Oleamide when required.

• 2 months later...

I have been using TRE daily for a few weeks now in an attempt to release the accumulation of years of stress from poorly managed anxiety issues and chronic stress. It is my belief that chronic stress and anxiety, when not dealt with, can lead to issues such as depersonalization, emotional numbness, and apathy, and these issues can be made worse in withdrawal. If I notice any improvement in anything from the use of TRE I will post here.

2001-2017-worked my way up from 25mg of zoloft and 2mg of Concerta to 200mg of zoloft and 36mg of Concerta

February 2017-Stopped Concerta cold turkey

September 2017-Added 2mg of Abilify

November 2017-came off Abilify

December 2017-began taper of zoloft 50mg a week while tapering on to Viibryd

January 2018-back on zoloft 200mg

February 2018--tapered off zoloft over a month onto 40mg of prozac

April 2018-CT prozac due to suspected "serotonin syndrome"

On 8/9/2018 at 9:09 AM, Noloft said:

I have been using TRE daily for a few weeks now in an attempt to release the accumulation of years of stress from poorly managed anxiety issues and chronic stress. It is my belief that chronic stress and anxiety, when not dealt with, can lead to issues such as depersonalization, emotional numbness, and apathy, and these issues can be made worse in withdrawal. If I notice any improvement in anything from the use of TRE I will post here.

Hi Noloft,

Another practice that you might find useful is Active Rest. I find that Liz Koch has the best instruction and information. How are you finding the TRE? I found it incredibly helpful, especially when paired with actual somatic therapy with a psych.

Taper commencing 14/06/18:

• Going down by 2.5mg per month from 35mg - once 2.5mg is bigger than the recommended 10%, I'll switch to a water solution. 
  • Planning to taper until October and then hold until 2019 - balancing study, work, life and holiday season.

Medication / withdrawal history:

• Tapered July 2016 to October 2016, unsuccessful and reinstated to 30mg (didn't track specifics)
  • Tapered March 2017 to August 2017, was unsuccessful and reinstated to 35mg (didn't track specifics).
  • Current taper - started 1st January 2018 @ 32.5mg and 2.5mg per month until I reach a dose where 2.5 is > 10% of dose.

Morning supplements:

B complex, Niagen, COQ10, Black seed oil, Vitamin C, Zinc, Fish Oil, EGCG, Bosweilla Extract, Curcumin (Longvida), Vitamin D, R-ALA, NAC, Ashwagandha (occasionally), Epimedium / Icariin, Resveratol.

Evening supplements:

NatureCalm Magnesium, Glycine, Ashwagandha, Reishi, Schisandra, Melatonin.

I also take Phenibut (maximum 3 times weekly at a dose that doesn't build tolerance) and Oleamide when required.

Not noticing anything yet other than pain in my hip joints when my legs start to shake.

2001-2017-worked my way up from 25mg of zoloft and 2mg of Concerta to 200mg of zoloft and 36mg of Concerta

Thank you for the active rest meditation recommendation. I will try it. 

• 1 year later...

I have flirted with the idea of trying out psilocybin to heal my emotional wounds.

However after an extensive research, I realized that my 10+ year use of SSRIs makes me a big time candidate for a psychotic breakdown.

I'm just starting my tapering journey, and it will take a long time before my CNI is stable enough so I can mess around with those powerful substances (if ever).

I'm grateful for finding resources such as this forum that help me make more informed decisions about my health. BE RESPONSIBLE PEOPLE!

I do recommend the Wim Hof Method though (with moderation).

It has a profound impact on the nervous system by activating the limbic system and the breathing sometimes will even create some altered consciousness states.

It is a great source of strength and confidence to get through withdrawal hell, and a wonderful way to connect with and heal the body.

🌬️Wim Hof Method practitioner ❄️

SSRI history:

Paroxetine: 2008 - 2010

Paroxetine: 2012 - 2015

Wellbutrin, Escitalopram: 2015 (briefly)

Paroxetine: 2015 - 2021 (bridged to Fluoxetine)

Fluoxetine: 2021 (18mg, gradually decreasing)

100% passionate about life, not willing to give up!

• 8 months later...

Has anyone tried microdosing psilocybin mushrooms? Supposedly they help the brain regrow serotonin receptors. Not sure if it would be helpful for a withdrawal situation though. 

Started SSRIs and Adderall in 2003.

June 2019 - quit 15mg Adderall XR, no problems

August - October 2019 - tapered Prozac from 40mg to 0mg with no WD symptoms

January 2020 - WD started 

January 2020 reinstated 15mg Adderall XR, taken as needed, about 3 times a week

Early June 2020 - reinstated 5mg Prozac, increased to 20mg, decreased to 5mg. Increased Adderall XR to daily usage of 15mg, started 50mg Trazodone. 

Mid June 2020 - increased to 10mg Prozac

August 13, 2020 - decreased to 5mg Prozac

Sept 5, 2020  - decreased to 10mg Adderall

Sept 15, 2020 - decreased to 5mg Adderall

October 1, 2020 - decreased to 0 mg Adderall

May 15, 2023 - tapered Prozac by 10% per month, using oral solution, currently taking 0.1mg every other day. 50mg Trazodone. 10mg Adderall. 

• Moderator Emeritus
10 hours ago, Courtrose said:

psilocybin mushrooms?

Your system in withdrawal is very sensitized.  I would not recommend this.  Your brain will heal naturally at its own rate.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy