SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

hopejjj: Cymbalta and abilify withdrawal from hopejjj

Hopejjj

I'm withdrawing cold turkey from cymbalta and abilify and would love some advice as how to proceed. It's been about 2 months of hell w severe physical and emotional symptoms. I hate the thought of starting all over but fear that not tapering will cause the withdrawal to drag on for a very prolonged period of time. Help!

Hopejjj

12 years of antidepressants and benzodiazepines including Prozac, Paxil, Effexor, lexapro, lamictal, Wellbutrin, Ativan, Xanax, klonopin, cymbalta and abilify. Most recently was on 60 mg of cymbalta, 10 mg of abilify and 1 mg of klonopin 3 times a day as needed. I also take fioricet for migraines and synthroid for hypothyroid. I quit the cymbalta and abilify cold turkey 8 weeks ago which has caused severe physical and psychological withdrawal symptoms. I want to quit klonopin and fioricet also but have been too scared to make myself more sick.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Hope.

First, we need more specific information about what you have been taking when, how much, how long, when you quit, how fast, etc., and also any drug reactions you had while taking the drugs. Any other details about your history may be helpful so please feel free to share as much as you want.

Please put your drug history into your sig line:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

You can look at other peoples' sig lines to see how they did theirs.

Once we know what's been going on with you it will be easier to figure out what to suggest. (Probably a small reinstatement at a low dose, followed by a period of time to stabilize, followed by a safe, slow taper. But that will depend on your history.)

Welcome to the forum!

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Hopejj, welcome to SA. It's good that you found us, you will find a wealth of information 

and get lots of support here.  :)

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Ty for the warm welcome mammaP :)

12 years of antidepressants and benzodiazepines including Prozac, Paxil, Effexor, lexapro, lamictal, Wellbutrin, Ativan, Xanax, klonopin, cymbalta and abilify. Most recently was on 60 mg of cymbalta, 10 mg of abilify and 1 mg of klonopin 3 times a day as needed. I also take fioricet for migraines and synthroid for hypothyroid. I quit the cymbalta and abilify cold turkey 8 weeks ago which has caused severe physical and psychological withdrawal symptoms. I want to quit klonopin and fioricet also but have been too scared to make myself more sick.

So can anyone suggest a course of action for me? I'm currently taking no antidepressants and taking only .5 mg a day of klonopin. I'm nauseous, have upset stomach, depression, back and neck pain, severe headaches, restless legs, panic attacks, lethargy and a feeling of being paralyzed to do anything, agoraphobia, etc.

I am currently working still but my activity is very limited and I spend all day and night lying on my couch. I am only able to work because I work alone and I have a bed that I am able to lie down on for most of my work day. I'm supposed to go back to school next month but at this point I don't see how that would ever be possible as I have difficulty even walking around my house, I'm so gripped by fear.

I have a husband and two children and am desperate to b well enough to care for them. I can't cook or clean so my husband is bearing the burden. Bathing is a monumental task. I've lost contact w friends.

Even though I've only been off the antidepressants for about eight weeks I've actually been in withdrawal since about June when I started missing doses - I'm not sure if it was accidental or deliberate but I just nose dived and stopped taking care of myself. I would get sick, go back on and did that back and forth until I finally quit cold turkey w my psychiatrists approval 2 months ago. He never recommended a taper and I didn't realize the symptoms would last.

I'm so confused and scared and don't know what to do now. I don't want to start all over again and my husband, while supportive, thinks I'm making progress and doesn't want me to go back on the meds. He says I'm no longer a zombie and my affect is improved but all I feel is hell. The symptoms change every day but the nausea and headaches are fairly constant as is the anxiety and depression and "paralyzed" feeling.

I forgot to mention that my blood pressure is now high where before it was fine and I have chest pains. I now take hydrochlorat but I don't feel any better in that regard. The klonopin does not help my panic attacks, maybe because I'm on a low dose but I don't want to quit that cold turkey too. I take fioricet also for migraines which contains a small amt of barbiturate so I'm thinking my body must b physically dependent on that also and so I'm still taking that as not to shock my csn any more than i have already.

Please, if anyone could tell me what to do - my dr is absolutely worthless, obviously cause he didn't even recommend a taper. Ty

Edited by Petu
Added paragraphs for readability

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Hope,

It sounds to me like you are experiencing a combination of general nervous system instability, from the irregular use of medication and withdrawal from Cymbalta.

You may also be having some withdrawal effects from stopping Abilify, but I don't know anything about that medication, someone else may be able to advise you regarding that.

Even though its been 8 weeks since you CT off 60mg Cymbalta, it might be possible to reinstate a small amount, which could reduce your withdrawal symptoms.  Then once stable, you could begin a slow, safe taper from this.

Here is some information about reinstatement which could help you decide if you want to try this:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3079-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-stop-withdrawal-symptoms/

You will need to taper the Klonopin when you are ready to stop taking it, but until then, please take it as regularly as possible to avoid destabilizing your nervous system more than it already is.

Alto or others should be along soon to advise you further, your situation is quite complex, but please try not to worry, this is the best support you will find for safely coming off these medications.  I'm glad you found us.

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Administrator

Yes, withdrawal syndrome can be that severe.

Even 5 beads of Cymbalta might be enough to reduce the withdrawal symptoms. Then you can stabilize for a few months and reduce very cautiously from there.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Ty so much for ur advice. I'm actually in the ER now with chest pains and shortness of breath. My blood pressure is elevated at 149/95 but much lower than I thought it would b. my thoughts r that it's a severe panic attack but waiting for the dr. I came in hopes that he or she will give me a script for cymbalta and klonopin as I have not taken that for a couple days due to the fact that i only had one left because I had to cancel my appointment w my psychiatrist. It looks like I may have been withdrawing from the klonopin too cause I just took my last one before coming to the ER and my bp is dropping. So. I've decided to reinstate 20 mg of cymbalta and the ER doc is going to give me a short supply of that until I can get in to see my reg do as well as some klonopin. I'm not sure how much of the klonopin I should b taking. The script is for 1 mg 3 times a day as needed but I rarely took it every day and didn't seem to have a problem prior to going off the cymbalta and abilify. Maybe my system is hypersensitive now? Would .5 of klonopin daily b enough just to prevent withdrawal from that? I'm upset from this setback and having to go back on the cymbalta but I saw no other recourse. Hopefully a healthy taper will work better. I would prefer to try Prozac because I think it would b easier to taper but I guess I'll revisit that idea once I'm (hopefully) stabilized. Also, how long does it usually take to feel better after reinstatement of a drug uve tapered too quickly? Ty for ur knowledge, time and support. It is invaluable and really a godsend considering the medical community seems to reject the idea that coming off these psychotropic drugs can wreak havoc on ur mind body and soul. Ty all so very much.

Also, do u have any information on fioricet as far as discontinuing that as well eventually? Does it cause the same kind of problems as it has a barbiturate in it? Just wondering. I'm not in any rush this time around!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Hopejj, sorry you were so bad as to go to the ER. You could find that 20mg of cymbalta is too much for you

after 2 months off, so don't worry too much if you feel bad after taking it, you can reduce to a smaller dose.

If you haven't taken it yet, consider Alto's suggestion of just trying 5 beads from the capsule. I may be enough to

reduce the withdrawal. You can increase gradually until you are comfortable.

I don't know anything about the other tablets I'm afraid. Hope you feel better very soon.

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Administrator

Yes, if you've been taking Floricet regularly, you may have withdrawal from that.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Hi,

Just an update. I went back on 20 mg of cymbalta. Today was the fifth dose. The first few days I felt much better and was so relieved to be free of the hell I was going through. Yesterday I felt some nausea, tho it passed and had restless legs that kept me up for a couple hours. I was a little concerned but it wasn't bad. Now today I'm more nauseous for a longer period of time and my neck and head are killing me and restless legs are back. I'm not back where I was but I seem to be spiraling down back into that withdrawal pit. Do I need to give it more time for my cns to calm down or does this mean this is going to continue and worsen perhaps? Help! I'm scared.

Hi Hope,

I am not sure this can be generalized to anyone else, but I have done that in raising my dose...feel sick, raise dose, feel better, feel sick.  It has helped me to then lower the dose again and usually I can re-stabilize at that dose, hitting it a second time.  HOWEVER, I think for most people just holding steady is recommended, giving the nervous system the stability it needs.  Someone with more general experience than me will be along soon....

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

Ty so much for ur response. It helps just to hear someone else has experienced the same thing and it can get better. I hope that's the case! I'm now back to the panic attacks w chest pains :(

• Moderator Emeritus

Possibly the 20mg could be too much after 2 months off.

I just looked back at your earlier posts and you started to skip doses when you 'took a dive' 

and didn't take care of yourself. That is telling me that the dose was possibly causing

depression rather than helping it. I think I would advise a lower dose which could keep

the withdrawal limited and lessen the side effects .

2002  effexor. 

Ty mammaP. I'll try reducing and see if if I improve.

• Administrator

It takes 4-5 days for the drug to increase to steady-state in your bloodstream. Your adverse effects indicate that 20mg is too much for you.

If I were you, I'd try 15mg, right away.

Hi alto,

I was most recently on 20 mg of cymbalta with the intention of tapering down as u suggested but I ran out. I got a new script for 20 mg of cymbalta and one for 10 mg of Prozac just to see if I could cross over to Prozac possibly. Well, I tried to get both filled in case the Prozac didn't work but for some reason my insurance company won't fill the cymbalta until the 29th so I was forced to try the Prozac idea. It didn't go very well. A few days in w no cymbalta and 10 mg of Prozac and I got really sick. Fortunately my sister was able to get me some 30 mg cymbalta today and I did what u suggested and took 5 beads out and took those. My question is, how long do I give it to see if this is the right dose and if I continue to b sick, how much should increase to? And am I doing this all wrong? R the beads in the 30 mg capsule different than the 20 mg capsule or are there just more of them? U mentioned going to 15 mg but I wasn't sure how to do that so I tried ur earlier suggestion of 5 beads. Sorry if this is confusing but I'm confused so please forgive me. Ty so much for any advice u can give. Hope all is well w u :)

Can anyone help? ????

Should I keep taking the Prozac along with the 5 beads of cymbalta? Feeling suicidal and sad that I have nowhere to turn for help.

Hi Hope.  I am so sorry that you're in this mess with the meds.  I am sure that someone will be along shortly with advice and guidance for you.  Until then, hang in there, know that there are people who care and that you're not alone.  -Mtnbkr.

07.2004 Prozac. Greadually increased to 40mg. Good control of depression, but eventually developed muscle spasms and akathesia.

08.2010 Switched to Celexa. Suicidal ideation was constant.  Unable to sleep without ambien.

05.2012 Switched to Zoloft. Absolutely the BEST control of depression but caused severe bloating and rapid weight gain. Acne.

11.00.2012 Returned to Prozac 40mg

04.00.2013 Prozac 40mg + Wellbutrin 150mg

06.25.2013 Prozac 60mg and Wellbutrin 300mg

07.08.2013 GRAND MAL SEIZURE

07.09.2013 Prozac 40mg and Wellbutrin 300mg

07.26.2013 Prozac 40mg and Wellbutrin 150 mg

08.01.2014 Prozac 40mg and Wellbutrin ZERO

08.09.2013 Prozac 30.0 mg

09.13.2013 Prozac 27.5 mg

10.04.2013 Prozac 25.0 mg

10.25.2013 Prozac 22.5 mg

11.15.2013 Prozac 20.0 mg

12.06.2013 Prozac 15.0 mg

12.21.2013 Prozac 10.0 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Hopejj, I'm sorry you are in such a predicament with the meds. It is not recommended to switch

directly from 1 ad to another, your doctor is a....... well, say no more!  :angry: .

You will be feeling pretty rotten with all that bur it will settle down. I can't say for definite whether the

beads are the same in the 20mg as the 30mg, you would have to open up 1 of each to take a look. 

Alto suggested 15 mg, unless you have a milligram scale you will need to count the beads I'm afraid! 

It will be easier for now to count the beadsin the 20mg capsule, just because there are probably fewer 

beads in that one. Take out 25% of the beads, return the 75% to the capsule and take that. 

I have counted beads for my taper, it is fiddly but do-able. It will take some time to stabilise but you

will get there.

2002  effexor. 

Ty mtnbkr for ur kind words ☺️

Ty mammaP,

Ur right about my doctor. I've been on an average of 2 mg of klonopin also and when I asked him about tapering off that he said since I don't take it regularly but as needed, I could just stop taking them at any time! So frustrating dealing with doctors that are so careless with their patients' health. I don't plan on tapering the klonopin just yet but I'll try to find info on this site when I'm ready to taper those. As for the cymbalta, I will so what u suggested. Ty so much for ur help and support. It is truly appreciated. Hugs, hope

Ugh. Feeling nauseous w the 15 mg of cymbalta but I'll ride it out since u said I'll b feeling rotten for awhile, mammaP. Hoping it settles down soon. Feeling a little more emotionally stable today so that's a good thing ☺️

• Moderator Emeritus

Glad you are feeling better emotionally, hope the nausea settles soon for you. 

I find ginger tea helps nausea. 

2002  effexor. 

I'll try that, Ty ????

I need help. I'm still so sick taking 15 mg of cymbalta. Does this mean I'm on too low a dose or too much?? I'm so confused and scared to mess w it. Does my body need to calm down or should I change the dose? Ty for any help u can give ????

Also, I once found a list of doctors' names on this site and can't seem to find it again. There was a doctor in kingston ny that I was searching for....

I found the doctor list by doing a search. Left another message so hoping he returns my call /crosses fingers

• Administrator

Ty alto,

I tried calling one in Kingston and one in suffern ny but it's Sunday so of course I'll have to wait till tomorrow. Just one question - because I'm feeling awful at 15 mg could that mean I have to increase my dose? Or should I wait to see if there's any change? I'm still experiencing the same withdrawal symptoms as when I wasn't taking it just perhaps a little less so. Ty. I'm sorry to b a bother and I do appreciate ur time so very much.

• Administrator

You've only tried reinstatement for a couple of weeks, and 15mg for a few days.

It's a good sign your symptoms are slightly relieved.

You need to give it some time. Yes, you might need a higher dose but it's best to start low and see if that works.

Ty alto. I will stay strong and see what happens. I contacted a holistic psychiatrist but of course they don't take insurance and the cost is very high. Not that u can put a price on good health but I just don't have it right now ????. I will try to use the resources on this site to guide me w nutrition and maybe introduce some magnesium and fish oil in slowly? So hard to navigate the withdrawal waters. Ty for ur guidance. Hugs, hope

There is an integrative psychiatrist who has some lectures for sale on the web, kellybroganmd.com. She is very influenced by the Weston A. Price Foundation, which you can google. Another option is Gut and Psychology Syndrome (GAPS) diet.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

Ty very much meimeiquest. I will def check these out ????