SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Hopefull: suffering from PGAD

Hopefull

Hi Flowers,

Thank you as well for supporting me. It means a lot to me to. It helps when you don't feel alone in this.

Feeling a bit better today. Fingers crossed it will soon settle down.

It always does, but just the sheer thought of going back to square one makes me extremely anxious. I have moments when I would lye awake at night and wonder how on earth did I get myself into this mess.

Do you experience these moments too?

It is hard not to feel anxious about the symptoms that you are currently experiencing. As silly as this might sound, I find watching Monica Blunder the Make Up Artist/ Make up tutorials on You Tube really relaxing and soothing.

Her voice is really soothing. It helps me fall asleep.

When you feel anxious, trying watching her make up tutorials. It helps to take your mind of things and you learn few tips and tricks. Let me know how you go.

Take care and best wishes, Hopefull. Xo

DRUG HISTORY:

November 2013- Zoloft, ( Bad reaction).

January 2014 - March 2014 Seroquel.( Quit Cold Turkey).

January2014- Mirtazapine, I was taking 15mg at one stage, reduced to 7.5mg, Pgad reactions to Mirtazapine. Doctor kept increasing it to 37.5mg, until July 2014. No improvement, experiencing panic attacks, on 37.5 mg. I had enough by October 2014. Began tapering.

October 2014- Started tapering Mirtazapine from 37.5mg.

September 2015- Down to 4mg of Mirtazapine. Crashed.

September 16th- Up dosed to 5mg. Held this dose for almost 5 months. Stabilised.

February 2016- Began tapering again. From 5mg to 4.5mg of Mirtazapine. (Rocking the boat, again)! Lol. :(

Thank you Scallywag for answering my question and for claryfying my tappering schedule.

I have been using a 10ml syrange.

The lowest I can get from the pharmacy is 5mls.

Would 2 25 mg be just below the 2.5mg?

Sorry, not sure how to exactly mesaure oug 2.25 mg. Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it.

:)

DRUG HISTORY:

January2014- Mirtazapine, I was taking 15mg at one stage, reduced to 7.5mg, Pgad reactions to Mirtazapine. Doctor kept increasing it to 37.5mg, until July 2014. No improvement, experiencing panic attacks, on 37.5 mg. I had enough by October 2014. Began tapering.

September 16th- Up dosed to 5mg. Held this dose for almost 5 months. Stabilised.

February 2016- Began tapering again. From 5mg to 4.5mg of Mirtazapine. (Rocking the boat, again)! Lol. :(

• Moderator Emeritus

Check with a compounding pharmacy. They often have syringes that dispense smaller amounts, 1 ml and less.

Failing that, you change the amount of water you dissolve your tablet. Post the dose of the tablets you use and I'll post my calculations for you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Thank you Scallywag.

I currently dissolve Soltab 15mg into 15mls of water and drawout the amount that I need. I will check with the compound pharmacy in regards to obtaining a smaller syrange.

Still experiencing waves since missing the dose almost 2 weeks ago.

Hopefully it will settle down soon.

DRUG HISTORY:

• Moderator Emeritus

You've got 15 mg tablets and will be decreasing to 2.25 mg on your next step down.

The easiest way to do this is to dissolve the tablet in 150 ml of water (put the tablet in the container, and then fill to 150 ml). This gives you a solution where 1 ml of solution = 0.1 mg mirtazapine. Because you're not making the liquid in sterile conditions, you should discard it after 5-7 days and make a new batch.

To get

• 2.5 mg, take 25 ml
  • 2.25 mg, take 22.5 ml
  • 2.03 mg, take 20.3 ml
  • 1.83 mg, take 18.3 ml

If at some point you switch to a tablet with a different dose or mirtazapine, just dissolve the tablet in ten times as many milllitres of water.

5 mg tablets, 50 ml water

7.5 mg tablets, 75 ml water

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Thank you, Scallywag for your help. :)

DRUG HISTORY:

Tj, thank you for stopping by my thread.

Your post is not annoying at all.

It is really nice of you to offer support to me too, when you are not feeling that great your self.

I love your lyrics. It is true, we can't give into fear. Feel free to reach out to me, it is much better when you can talk to someone that gets it.

Listen to your body, it has a really good way of letting you know when you need to hold. That is what I have beendoing.

Today has been a good day. I hope that I will stabilize completely.

We all need our hand held at times, going through this journey. No one can understand WDS appart from people that go through it. It is a constant battle to stay afloat. But it does get better as time passes. I stuffed up a bit, but I know that it will get better.

Take care, Tjdeepthinker.

We should rename ourselves as , "Hopefull Thinking". :) Take care, Hopefull. Xo

DRUG HISTORY:

Can i ask hopefull has your PGAD gone away? If not, how long have you had PGAD if you dont mind me asking?

Last took an SSRI January 2009.

Last took a benzodiazepine May 2015.

Free from all prescription medication since May 2015.

Everything has mostly healed apart from PSSD which is still very bad, and is my most distressing symptom. Also i have developed some allergy problems/ sensitivities to things in the environment which i believe was possibly caused by the prescription medications (SSRI's and benzos).

Hi Hopefull

I'm stopping by your thread because I am tapering Mirtazapine and am in the middle of a very tough cut.  Just wanted to connect with a fellow Mirt member who is tapering as well. 

I have had a rough two weeks and today I feel a very fragile stability-the despair has lifted but I feel a low level anixety and sadness.  I will be holding for a time until I feel strong enough to make another cut.  These lower doses are so hard to move through.

I hope you are well.

9/2013-4/2014:  After moms death, was prescribed a series of meds for short periods of time that didn't work. Zoloft, Lexapro,  Nortriptyline, Liquid Prozac, Cymbalta. 

1/2014-9/2014. Clonzapam: Given Lamictal, stopped Clonzapam at .125mgs  

1/2015-4 2017 Remeron: 41.25 -0.025mgs

7/2015-11/2018 Lamictal: 200mgs-0.05 mgs Had paradoxical reaction to Lamictal wd, broke my heart to take a benzo but wasn't sleeping. 

3/28/2019 -2/5/ 2021  Clonazapam: 0.625mgs-.00115 Med Free 

July 27th, 2022**Severe Setback due to surgery/ anesthesia. 

9/7/22-10/4/22 Trazadone 50-100mgs for sleep, 10/13/22-11/13/22 Trazadone 1 mg to stabilize

10/4/22-11/20/22 Remeron 7.5mgs (for sleep doesn't work) 11/20/22 7.3 - 12/31/22 6.3 

2023: 1/18/23 6.1 - 6/6/23 3.6  6/16 3.4  6/28 3.0 7/12 2.7  7/28 2.5 8/11 2.2 8/23 2.0  9/5 1.8  9/16 1.6  9/30 1.4  10/13 1.2  10/26 1.0  11/9 0.8  11/22 0.6  12/6 0.4  12/23 0.2.

2024 1/4/24  Remeron/Mirtazapine free 

Additional Support:  Armour Thyroid 75mgs, Magnesium Glycinate 300-500mgs,  L-theanine 

Hi to everyone and thanks you for stopping by my thread.

Spruce 30, I don't have PGAD symptoms any more. I do experience muscle twitching and contractions from time to time, when I lower Mitrazapine dose. That tends to last for about a week or two and it settles down. I think it took at least 6 months to 1 year for things to settle down. I have to look at my notes. It has been a while. Are you experiencing these symptoms too? I don't mind you asking me, because other people have experienced this from AD'S.

Hi TJDeepthinker,

It is tough going through this, but hopefully things will settle down.

Getting off these drugs is tough, but at the same time, it can be done.

Things have settled down for me somewhat, but I found myself experiencing some old symptoms that I have not had for a long time. This morning I felt I was on a verge of andrenneline surge, which I have not had in a long time. It felt like it was about to come on, but it did not eventuate.

However, I experienced this weird over excitement feeling following a negative thought. I used to get this at the beginning of the WDS for at least 2 years and last year it finally subsided.

Have any of you experienced this? When I was at my worst, I could not even think negative thoughts, because it would trigger WDS symptoms and any healing that took place would be undone.

It is like someone is constantly scratching a healing wound. It happened to me yesterday, but not as intense as it used to get. It scared me a lot, because it takes me back to how I felt at the beginning of this journey. I felt low last night, thinking about how long this will continue to affect my life. It has been just over 3 years for me.

"Those of us who shine the brightest, will always feel like the world is shrouded in the darkness ".

You are right. Everyoneis a fighter here.

The most frustrating thing is to get other people to understand what you are going through.

Missing Mitrazapine dose, has set me back a bit, but the key is to still keep pushing through.

Tjdeepthinker, as I have pointed out before, you have done really well to get to where you are. A lot of people experience intrusive thoughts following WDS from Antidepressants /Antipsycotics.

If you start a thread asking people how many people have experienced intrusive thoughts following withdrawal from these drugs, I would at least say 1/4 or even more.

It seems to be very common.

But this should settle down in time.

It might not be in a year or two, it could be further down the road.

Keep in mind how you were before the drugs and during WDS.

Are you still experiencing Akathasia?

How long are you planning on holding your current dose?

Maybe you can give me some of your emotions and I can give you my numbness.

I can't cry. I can't release my emotions.

It is like my brain is blocking strong emotions. I think that the brain develops a protective barrier after experiencing acute distress.

Tjdeepthinker, this experience is truly a roller coaster ride, hopefully it will be a ride where we come on top.

The worst part is when you feel like you are finally moving on, it still has a grip on you.

Many times I wish for my old brain to come back. But it is what it is and we have to deal with it.

Take care, Hopefull. Xo

DRUG HISTORY:

Hi Hibari,

Thank you for stopping by my thread.

Sorry to hear that you are going through a rough patch.

What dose are you on?

It is a bit tricky when you get to a lower dose.

I am 2.5mg. I have been holding since December 14th.

I am going to have to hold until March, because I accidentally skipped a dose in January. It has destabilized me somewhat.

Keep holding until you feel strong enough to make another cut.

How long have you been tappering?

It has been 26 months for me.

I hope to get off Mirtazapine by the end of the year. I thought that I would get off Mirtazapine by June/July, but that is out of the question now.

I am okay with it now. I hope to be med free by 2018.

Are you working while you are going through this?

I will have to return to work this year and I am scared. For those of you that are working, how do you cope with the symptoms?

Take care Hibari, you will get there eventually. :)

DRUG HISTORY:

Hi Hibari,

Thank you for stopping by my thread.

Sorry to hear that you are going through a rough patch.

What dose are you on?

It is a bit tricky when you get to a lower dose.

I am 2.5mg. I have been holding since December 14th.

I am going to have to hold until March, because I accidentally skipped a dose in January. It has destabilized me somewhat.

Keep holding until you feel strong enough to make another cut.

How long have you been tappering?

It has been 26 months for me.

I hope to get off Mirtazapine by the end of the year. I thought that I would get off Mirtazapine by June/July, but that is out of the question now.

I am okay with it now. I hope to be med free by 2018.

Are you working while you are going through this?

I will have to return to work this year and I am scared. For those of you that are working, how do you cope with the symptoms?

Take care Hibari, you will get there eventually. :)

Hi Hopeful 

I'm down to 1.2mg and have been tapering for 25 months.  I too thought I would be off by the late summer but it will probably be the late spring.  I am also tapering Lamictal and tapered both at the same for awhile-now just the Mirt.  

I have been working but I am in business for myself.  I have had to time many of my cuts around whether I would be busy or not. If I was going to busy I had to hold.  I mainly stick close to home when I am not working because I need the rest and downtime.  I had to learn this the hard way because I have a tendency to push and that's what caused my down fall in the first place.  WD has taught me about slowing down and not over giving.

Thanks for your encouraging words-you will get there too!

9/2013-4/2014:  After moms death, was prescribed a series of meds for short periods of time that didn't work. Zoloft, Lexapro,  Nortriptyline, Liquid Prozac, Cymbalta. 

1/2014-9/2014. Clonzapam: Given Lamictal, stopped Clonzapam at .125mgs  

1/2015-4 2017 Remeron: 41.25 -0.025mgs

7/2015-11/2018 Lamictal: 200mgs-0.05 mgs Had paradoxical reaction to Lamictal wd, broke my heart to take a benzo but wasn't sleeping. 

3/28/2019 -2/5/ 2021  Clonazapam: 0.625mgs-.00115 Med Free 

July 27th, 2022**Severe Setback due to surgery/ anesthesia. 

9/7/22-10/4/22 Trazadone 50-100mgs for sleep, 10/13/22-11/13/22 Trazadone 1 mg to stabilize

10/4/22-11/20/22 Remeron 7.5mgs (for sleep doesn't work) 11/20/22 7.3 - 12/31/22 6.3 

2023: 1/18/23 6.1 - 6/6/23 3.6  6/16 3.4  6/28 3.0 7/12 2.7  7/28 2.5 8/11 2.2 8/23 2.0  9/5 1.8  9/16 1.6  9/30 1.4  10/13 1.2  10/26 1.0  11/9 0.8  11/22 0.6  12/6 0.4  12/23 0.2.

2024 1/4/24  Remeron/Mirtazapine free 

Additional Support:  Armour Thyroid 75mgs, Magnesium Glycinate 300-500mgs,  L-theanine 

Hi Hibari,

Thank you as well for your encouraging words. We will get through this. You don't have that long to go. You are almost there.

It is weird, last night after 1 and a 1/2 hours of taking Mitrazapine, I felt I was on a verge of andrinellin surge.

This lasted for about 10-15min.

I am I experiencing an adverse reaction to Mitrazapine now? I have been feeling fine all day. If it happens again tonight, what do I do?

It is weird. I have not had andrinellin surges for a very long time.

Has anyone experienced during the course of the tappering process, that the drug becomes paradoxical, when you have skipped a dose, even if it is a small amount?

If it happens tonight again, I will know for sure that it is Mitrazapine and not just WDS.

DRUG HISTORY:

• Administrator

Skipping a dose could indeed change how you react to it.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi Altostrata,

Thank you for your feedback.

I took Mitrazapine last night and was okay

It is weird. I will keep an eye on things.

Hopefully things will settle down in 4 weeks time. I will hold my current dose until symptoms completely subside.

DRUG HISTORY:

Hi TJ,

How are you doing? I am doing okay.

The andrenalin surges feel weird. It is like a sudden surge of energy, with a burning feeling at the back of the head, pins and needles in the arms and burning feeling in the chest. Is this what you experienced?

I have not had that in a long time, appart from recently feeling like it was about to come on.

But that is because I missed a dose in January.

I feel okay. You will will be okay too.

It is good that you have decided to hold.

Wishing you all the best, Hopefull. Xo

DRUG HISTORY:

Hi Tjdeepthinker,

You are such sweet soul! :)

I had a listen to handsome guys playing the cellos, you are right, it is not very calming at all. :)

They are so intetense, I felt a bit triggered. Lol! :)

At least you have a sense of humor about you, I had a bit of a laugh. :)

Have you tried camomile tea or rooibos tea for insomnia?

You might think that this is odd, but I would recommend watching make up tutorials on You Tube, to help you relax.

I swear, I always fall asleep after watching Monica Blunder and Lisa Eldredge make up tutorials on You Tube.

I think I mentioned this before. Sorry for sounding like a broken record.

Both are Celebrity make up artists and both have soothing voices.

For some reason, it helps me to fall asleep and I feel really relaxed. It takes my mind off things.

I don't know how to upload the link to SA.

Give it a go and let me know what you think.

It might sound silly.

Are you referring to the emotional pain or you are experiencing pain from AD'S?

I have had weird head pressure and headache, and pain in the neck, like some is pushing my neck downwards.

I don't have it anymore. After I skipped a dose, I experienced bit of head pressure. It has gone for now.

Is this what you are experiencing?

Practicing acceptance is hard.

Have you accepted everything that has happened to you?

You can train your brain, but when you are coming off the drugs it is a bit hard to do that.

Thinking positive thoughts helps.

I find walking theraputic too.

Hang in there, TJ. Good things come to those of us who wait. :) Take care, Hopefull.

DRUG HISTORY:

This morning at around 3:00am, I experienced a cortisol surge.

It has been a long time since I have experienced this.

Skiiping the dose in January has set me back.

Will it settle down if I stay on 2.5mg or

should I updose to 3 mg?

It has been a month since I have skipped a dose.

This is disheartening. I would prefer not to updose, but if I have to I will.

I also wonder if I am having an adverse reaction to Mitrazapine?

I normally make a cut every 2 months.

Since I am a poor metaboliser, and extra sensitive , has Mitrazapine build up in my system?

Why is it so hard to get off Mirtazapine at lower doses?

Everything was great until I missed one dose.

I don't know what I should do.

DRUG HISTORY:

Thanks for visiting me Hopefull.

I am so sorry you are going through the mill too.

Cortisol surges are awful - I was getting them all night but just have one every morning at 630 am now. I can set my watch by it! Not a very nice way to start the day!

I don't know what to suggest with your drug but I have seen on here the lower the dose the harder it gets with some folk - the mods are best for that I feel. They will be able to put you on the right track.

In the meantime I am thinking of you and hoping things settle for you and me soon.

Much love and hugs

Flowers xxx

15 yrs on 20 to 30 mgs CITALOPRAM.  MAY 2014 Increased to 40 mgs per day.SEPT/NOV 2014 tapered in 6 weeks down to 10 mgs as per Dr instructions due to violent nightmares/palpitations.Given Noctamid (lormetazepam) to help with anxiety. On average took 2mg per day for 8 weeks.No taper was advised.DEC 2014 WD severe. Nervous tic in eyes and limbs, muscle pain,fluct  temp, weakness, dep and anxiety, nausea, giddy, unstable when walking. Different Dr suggested taking 20mgs CIT. BROMAZEPAM 3mgs up to 3 x daily for anxiety.DEC 9 2014 Updose CIT to 30mgs. Only taking BROMAZEPAM in emergency.DEC 31 2014 Settling at 30mg CIT - helping with depression. No Brom for 2wks.Found SA.APR 2015 Trying to stabilise on 30mgs CIT.  JAN 2016 Started Cit Taper reducing by 5% per month.  28.5 mgs 
FEB  Taper held bereavement. APR Taper resumed 27mgs . MAY 25.50 mgs .  JUNE 24 mgs .  JULY I stupidly mixed up my BP meds with CIT. Consequently took no CIT for 3 days and doubled my BP meds. Waiting for the fallout....Holding for a while until any chance of repercussions have abated. SEPT taper resumed to  22.5 mgs . OCT 21 mgs .NOV 19.95 mgs DEC crashed. 2017: FEB 3rd updose to 20.5 mgs to try to stabilise.FEB.switched over to 75mgs of Venlafaxine XR for 3 weeks.Too stimulating so switching back to Cit. 12 March 37.5 Ven and 20 Cit. 21 March 18mg Ven 20mg Cit. 4 April 9mg Ven 20mg Cit. Xanax .50mg when needed.  13 April 0 mgs Ven, 20mg Citalopram. Xanax .50 mg per day. 5 May reinstated a small amount of Ven to stabilize  1 mg twice a day. 20 mg Citalopram at night. Xanax .25 mg twice per day.Other Meds: Losartan (BP)Started 1993 at  50 mgs at night.  Seretide (Asthma) Started 1996 at 1 puff twice a day. Jan 2019 Antibiotic Ceclor 500mgs twice a day for bronchitis and  Atrovent 2ml capsules twice a day for asthma. Finished the course of both Jan 17. 

XANAX  Jan 27  - Feb 3 2019 Failed Valium Crossover.   Feb 14 2019  Updosed Xanax by .0625  Feb 17 2019 Decreased Xanax by .0625. Back to .50mg daily.  Update Xanax 28.2.20 tapered to .1250 mg 8am .25 mg midnight. Update Xanax 11.8.21 tapered to .25 mg at night. 

Current Meds 28.2.19: CITALOPRAM  20mg  taken at midnight. VENLAFAXINE  .9 mg twice a day at 8am and 10pm.  XANAX .50 mg split into 4 doses per day. 10am .0625mg / 2pm .1250mg/ 6pm .0625mg / midnight .25mg.Update 10.8.22 .25 mg at night.  LOSARTAN 50 mgs taken at midnight.  SERETIDE 1 puff taken at 8am and 10pm.   7.7.19 VENLAFAXINE UPDATE: Started tapering 10% every 4 weeks. Currently .4 mg twice a day at 8am and 10 pm.  2.9.19 .36 mg x 2. 1.10.19  .32 mg x 2. 26.11.19 .29 mg x2. 26.12.19 .26 mg  x 2. 23.1.20  .23 mg x 2.  20.2.20 .21 mg x2.20.3.20  .19 mg x 2. 21.4.20 .17 mg x 2. 19.5.20 .13 mg x 2.  18.6.20 .11mg  x 2 .18.7.20.10 mg x 2.1.9.20.09 mg x 2. 30.9. 20 .08 mg x 2. 1.11.20 .07 mg x 2.  2.12.20 .06 mg x 2.  8.1.21 .05 mg x 2.  4.2.21 .04 mg x 2. 9.3.21 .03 mgx2.  7.4.21  .02 mg x 2.  9.5.21 .01 mg x 2.  21.6.21 .01 mg x 1.  11.8.21 ZERO!

Hi Flowers,

Thank you so much for your support, it means a lot to me.

How long have you had cortisol surges?

Have you had periods when it disappeared?

I didn't have one last night.

I was dreading going to bed. It brings back memories when I was going through the worst of WDS.

Thank God, I did not have one last night.

It is weird how it happens at exactly the same time. Why is that?

I kick myself for missing the dose.

Hopefully, I won't have to updose.

I will wait it out. It has to settle down eventually.

This whole process is absolutely tiring.

My hubby made a comment to me the other day when I was grumpy for no reason, "Where is your kindness gone"?

That really struck a cord with me.

I have become someone who I don't recognize. :(

The other day, I shed a tear for a brief period, and than it disappeared.

I have not been able to cry for a while.

But it was like a part of real me was shining through the veil and it disappeared. It was nice for a brief moment to be able to release pent up emotions.

Still trying to remain hopefull.

DRUG HISTORY:

Hi Flowers,

Thank you so much for your support, it means a lot to me.

How long have you had cortisol surges?

Have you had periods when it disappeared?

I didn't have one last night.

I was dreading going to bed. It brings back memories when I was going through the worst of WDS.

Thank God, I did not have one last night.

It is weird how it happens at exactly the same time. Why is that?

I kick myself for missing the dose.

Hopefully, I won't have to updose.

I will wait it out. It has to settle down eventually.

This whole process is absolutely tiring.

My hubby made a comment to me the other day when I was grumpy for no reason, "Where is your kindness gone"?

That really struck a cord with me.

I have become someone who I don't recognize. :(

The other day, I shed a tear for a brief period, and than it disappeared.

I have not been able to cry for a while.

But it was like a part of real me was shining through the veil and it disappeared. It was nice for a brief moment to be able to release pent up emotions.

Still trying to remain hopefull.

Sorry Hopefull - only just caught up with your question.

I get a cortisol wake up everymorning without fail at 630am. Then I can't go back to sleep again. For someone who has never had trouble sleeping and is a bit of a doormouse this has been horrible.

It is good that you didn't get one the other night. I have had mine for 2 months now. At first they were 3 or 4 times a night so I am thankful that at least I can get 6 hours sleep now.

When you feel so flat about everything it is good to feel emotion. Maybe you are showing signs of improving. This stabilising/healing process is so slow isn't it?

You are in my thoughts.

Sending love Flowers xxx

15 yrs on 20 to 30 mgs CITALOPRAM.  MAY 2014 Increased to 40 mgs per day.SEPT/NOV 2014 tapered in 6 weeks down to 10 mgs as per Dr instructions due to violent nightmares/palpitations.Given Noctamid (lormetazepam) to help with anxiety. On average took 2mg per day for 8 weeks.No taper was advised.DEC 2014 WD severe. Nervous tic in eyes and limbs, muscle pain,fluct  temp, weakness, dep and anxiety, nausea, giddy, unstable when walking. Different Dr suggested taking 20mgs CIT. BROMAZEPAM 3mgs up to 3 x daily for anxiety.DEC 9 2014 Updose CIT to 30mgs. Only taking BROMAZEPAM in emergency.DEC 31 2014 Settling at 30mg CIT - helping with depression. No Brom for 2wks.Found SA.APR 2015 Trying to stabilise on 30mgs CIT.  JAN 2016 Started Cit Taper reducing by 5% per month.  28.5 mgs 
FEB  Taper held bereavement. APR Taper resumed 27mgs . MAY 25.50 mgs .  JUNE 24 mgs .  JULY I stupidly mixed up my BP meds with CIT. Consequently took no CIT for 3 days and doubled my BP meds. Waiting for the fallout....Holding for a while until any chance of repercussions have abated. SEPT taper resumed to  22.5 mgs . OCT 21 mgs .NOV 19.95 mgs DEC crashed. 2017: FEB 3rd updose to 20.5 mgs to try to stabilise.FEB.switched over to 75mgs of Venlafaxine XR for 3 weeks.Too stimulating so switching back to Cit. 12 March 37.5 Ven and 20 Cit. 21 March 18mg Ven 20mg Cit. 4 April 9mg Ven 20mg Cit. Xanax .50mg when needed.  13 April 0 mgs Ven, 20mg Citalopram. Xanax .50 mg per day. 5 May reinstated a small amount of Ven to stabilize  1 mg twice a day. 20 mg Citalopram at night. Xanax .25 mg twice per day.Other Meds: Losartan (BP)Started 1993 at  50 mgs at night.  Seretide (Asthma) Started 1996 at 1 puff twice a day. Jan 2019 Antibiotic Ceclor 500mgs twice a day for bronchitis and  Atrovent 2ml capsules twice a day for asthma. Finished the course of both Jan 17. 

XANAX  Jan 27  - Feb 3 2019 Failed Valium Crossover.   Feb 14 2019  Updosed Xanax by .0625  Feb 17 2019 Decreased Xanax by .0625. Back to .50mg daily.  Update Xanax 28.2.20 tapered to .1250 mg 8am .25 mg midnight. Update Xanax 11.8.21 tapered to .25 mg at night. 

Current Meds 28.2.19: CITALOPRAM  20mg  taken at midnight. VENLAFAXINE  .9 mg twice a day at 8am and 10pm.  XANAX .50 mg split into 4 doses per day. 10am .0625mg / 2pm .1250mg/ 6pm .0625mg / midnight .25mg.Update 10.8.22 .25 mg at night.  LOSARTAN 50 mgs taken at midnight.  SERETIDE 1 puff taken at 8am and 10pm.   7.7.19 VENLAFAXINE UPDATE: Started tapering 10% every 4 weeks. Currently .4 mg twice a day at 8am and 10 pm.  2.9.19 .36 mg x 2. 1.10.19  .32 mg x 2. 26.11.19 .29 mg x2. 26.12.19 .26 mg  x 2. 23.1.20  .23 mg x 2.  20.2.20 .21 mg x2.20.3.20  .19 mg x 2. 21.4.20 .17 mg x 2. 19.5.20 .13 mg x 2.  18.6.20 .11mg  x 2 .18.7.20.10 mg x 2.1.9.20.09 mg x 2. 30.9. 20 .08 mg x 2. 1.11.20 .07 mg x 2.  2.12.20 .06 mg x 2.  8.1.21 .05 mg x 2.  4.2.21 .04 mg x 2. 9.3.21 .03 mgx2.  7.4.21  .02 mg x 2.  9.5.21 .01 mg x 2.  21.6.21 .01 mg x 1.  11.8.21 ZERO!

Hi Tj,

I know things will settle down eventually.

It is a very slow healing process.

It was nice to cry a bit.

I am sticking to 2.5mg and we stay on it it until things settle down.

Out of curiosity, why don't you wear make up? Are you sensitive to it?

I wear a bit of make up, not much.

I feel better when I do.

How long do you have before you are med free?

Seroquel and Mirtazapine make you feel like a zombie.

How are you?

Thank you for stopping by.

The other day, I went to Guns and Roses concert with a friend.

I was a bit nervous how my nervous system was going to handle large crowds and loud music. But it was okay. Thank God we were in a section that did not have many people.

Take care, Hopefull.

DRUG HISTORY:

Hi Flowers,

It is good that you are able to sleep for at least 6 hours.

Those cortisol surges are just awful.

Do you get them less now?

The stability healing process is slow.

I still feel a bit destabilized.

But it is getting better. I guess it is a bit of a kick in the guts, when I was doing really well. Wishing you all the best Flowers.

Xo Hopefull.

DRUG HISTORY:

For anyone that is suffering from insomnia, I just came accross s natural remedy.

Get an organic banana. Cut the hard bits at both ends. Boil the banana with skin on for at least 10min.

Strain and drink 1 hour before going to bed. Banana contains potassium and magnesium. I have not tried this, and I am not sure if it works. I thought it was an interesting remedy.

DRUG HISTORY:

Hi Hopeful. I'm just checking in to see how you're going. As always, you're a beacon of light and hope. 

I would hold and stabilize . Updosing could cause additional problems and symptoms. Just stay steady but maybe for longer than you originally thought.

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Hi AliG,

Thank you for such kind words. It is uplifting. I try to be hopeful.

I am doing better. I'm am holding my current dose at 2.5mg.

It is a relief to hear that I can just hold my dose and wait it out. I agree that updosing can cause more problems, since I am extra sensetive. I will hold my current dose for at least another month.

Fingers crossed, I should be free of Mitrazapine by the end of the year.

How are you doing? How are feeling?

Best wishes, Hopefull. :)

DRUG HISTORY:

Sometimes reading stories here can be triggering. I am better when it comes to that. I still can't watch violent or crime stories as I still find it triggering. I think that the brain in WDS does not have a filter.

You will be med free, it might take a while. I hope that I can get off Mirtazapine in December.

I saw the banana thing on this natural remedy site.

I thought that is was intresting.

I wonder if it works?

Have a break and when you are ready come back to let me know how you are doing.

Take care, Hopefull. :)

DRUG HISTORY:

• 2 months later...

Hello Hopefull,

Congrats on being on a low dose of remeron!

I have been following your posts with interest because I am also at a low dose of remeron (2.4mg).  In a moment of insomnia insanity I added this med, but I am developing an adverse reaction to it (severe twitching and alerting) and it is causing insomnia.

I need to get off as fast as I safely can.

Can you please let me know what your experience has been like since you resumed tapering from 5 mg?  In the past when I have dropped remeron, I developed insane anxiety and depression and had to updose.  I am really scared of starting this taper.

I would be interested to know how you are tapering, what your symptom pattern is like, and if WD resolves in a month, etc.

Any help is much appreciated!

PAST

Gabapentin:  about 6 months in 2015, 300-900 mg, cold turkeyed Sept 2015 (at same time dc'd Klonopin)

Klonopin: June 2014- Sept 2015; 1mg tapered over 6 mths, dc'd at 0.25mg, withdrawal hellish (perhaps because of concurrent dc of gabapentin)

Mirtazepine: Jumped off at 2.4 mg. (stable in 8 months).

Seroquel:  June 14 - July 24, 2016, 25 mg alternate nights; smaller doses for shorter periods. Total use about 3 months 

Lamictal: March 19, 2018 - 1 mg; March 23 - 1.25 mg; April 6 - 2mg. Discontinued at 2 mgJuly 1, 2018 due to Steven Johnson Syndrome.

CURRENT

Supplements: Vit D, turmeric

Naturethroid: 65 mcg for hypothyroidism

Trazodone: Oct 2015 - June 2016; 75 mg tapered over 2 mths, intense w/d after 3 weeks. Reinstatement: 07/25/16 - 25 mg; updosed 08/03/16 - 50 mg;  10/01/16-  62mg; 03/24/17 dropped to 50 mg (stable in 2.5 months)

Current psych meds: Trazodone 50 mg

Hi Survivor1,

Thank you very much for stopping by my thread. Thank you for your kind words.

Congratulations to you for getting to low dose of Rameron too.

For me getting below 5mg was hard. At one stage I had to hold for 5 months back in 2015 until beginning of 2016.

Like you, I experienced horrible anxiety,

Cortisol /Andrenalin surges, body tremors, jerks, nightmares, Nightsweats, etc. I have experienced some insomnia for about a month from crippling anxiety.

I know how you are feeling. In January I have noticed that I have made significant progress, until I accidentally missed a dose. I did have a setback, things have improved, but I am still not quite to the level of progress that I experienced in January. At the same time, my WDS symptoms are not as strong anymore.

I still get some symptoms, like occasionally body tremors /quakes, a bit of anxiety and occasionally odd dreams.

For me it is the reminders that can set off anxiety. When I am in situations when I think, I remember when I felt so bad,I could not be around people, without experiencing this weird head feeling and horrible anxiety. This can trigger an anxiety attack. But other times it can enter my mind and I am okay.

It is weird.

I have also experienced involontary twitching of the muscles, particularly in the thigh area. When you mentioned that you have been experiencing "alerting ", do you mean cortisol surges?

How long have you been taking Rameron?

In my experience I have been reducing dose every 2 months by 0.5mg and I have been okay with that. At the beginning I was reducing too.quickly and later by 1mg which was way too much for me. It has been awhile since I have been using Soltab 15mg dissolvable tablets in 15mls of water and taking out with the syrange what I need.

How are you tappering?

SA reccomends reducing by 10%, but I honestly am not very good with miniscule numbers. I have been able to tolerate 0.5 mg cuts. The WDS ud not as noticeable as it used to be, but if I push my self too far or I am stressed too much, it can surface.

What is your WDS pattern?

At the beginning it was really clear. I used to feel a bit better following the reduction, than within 1-2 weeks WDS symptoms, tht would last for at least 6 weeks before noticing improvment.

After a while that pattern dissaoears as the brain stabilizes. It is not as clear anymore.

When you feel anxious, walk, exercise, listen to soothing music at night like nature sounds. I appologise if I sound like a broken record. But these are the things that helped me, including mindfulness meditation.

Let me know how you are doing and I hope I have helped to clarify few things for you. Take care, Hopefull. :)

DRUG HISTORY:

Hopefull,

Thank you so much of the reply.  It does give me insight into what to expect.

I added remeron 2.5 mg in Nov 2016 when I thought the trazodone I had been on had pooped out.  In reality I was experiencing Wd from a seroquel cold turkey and did not realize it.  From the beginning rem gave problems but I thought the issues were from the seroquel cold turkey so I continued using it.  It has now been 6 months. 

I tried reducing last December to 1.9 mg and got hit with terrible anxiety.  Another debilitating symptom for me is severe twitching of a muscle in my left inner ear that feels like a slap inside the head, and is quite painful.  I updosed after 2 weeks back to 2.4.

The alerting I have is an adverse reaction with trazodone and wakes me up whenever I drift off.  I have other sxs also. 

I am experiencing serotonin syndrome and need to get off remeron ASAP.  Am actually considering jumping off at 2.4, but have asked the moderators for advice.  Don't know if I'll able to survive it.

I'm glad to know that the wd symptoms are not as bad at this level for you.  Hang in there. You will do it.

Thanks again for your support.

PAST

Gabapentin:  about 6 months in 2015, 300-900 mg, cold turkeyed Sept 2015 (at same time dc'd Klonopin)

Klonopin: June 2014- Sept 2015; 1mg tapered over 6 mths, dc'd at 0.25mg, withdrawal hellish (perhaps because of concurrent dc of gabapentin)

Seroquel:  June 14 - July 24, 2016, 25 mg alternate nights; smaller doses for shorter periods. Total use about 3 months 

Lamictal: March 19, 2018 - 1 mg; March 23 - 1.25 mg; April 6 - 2mg. Discontinued at 2 mgJuly 1, 2018 due to Steven Johnson Syndrome.

CURRENT

Trazodone: Oct 2015 - June 2016; 75 mg tapered over 2 mths, intense w/d after 3 weeks. Reinstatement: 07/25/16 - 25 mg; updosed 08/03/16 - 50 mg;  10/01/16-  62mg; 03/24/17 dropped to 50 mg (stable in 2.5 months)

Hi Survivor1,

Sorry to hear that you are experiencing hard time with Mitrazapine.

If you are experiencing seratonin syndrome than it would warrant jumping off Mirtazapine. Have you spoken to your GP about this? You are in a difficult situation, you are damned if you do and damnd if you don't.

Wait for the moderators to best advise you.

But if it is impacting your health, what choice do you have?

I would be inclined to get off Mirtazapine, but it is best to speak with your physician? What are your Seratonin Syndrome symptoms at the moment?

You will be able to survive this.

Hang in there. If you stop Mitrazapine abruptly, you will experience WDS, but if you have to get off Mirtazapine ASAP, than that is what you have to do. Please remember that you can do this, but most importantly consult with your doctor. I know doctors can be ignorant when it comes to AD'S, but I would not want to advise someone to do something and cause them more harm.

Please take care of your self. Let me know how you are doing, best wishes Hopefull. :)

DRUG HISTORY:

Hopefull,

See my response on my thread.  Thank you very much for your support.

PAST

CURRENT

Hopefull,

Thanks for the encouragement on my thread.  What can I say ... hoping for the best.

Regarding your cold turkey from seroquel: how long were you on it and what dosage? How long did it take to recover?

Am trying to gauge WD length (I know it's different for mirtazepine but a time frame would be good).

Glad you are in a good place with your taper!

PAST

CURRENT

Hi Survivor1,

You are welcome. I took Seroquel for approximately 2 months, 7.5mg and my doctor told me to jump off, while I was still on Mitrazapine. I honestly can't say weather I experienced WDS from CTing Seroquel, because I was experiencing WDS from Zoloft. Seroquel did nothing for me appart from Zombing me, along with Mitrazapine. I felt so sedated but still anxious. WDS are most intense at the beginning, but in my own experience it took good 2 1/2 years for things to settle down a bit. Things are better now, but I am still not out of the woods.

I am not sure what is going to happen once I completely stop.

Either way, we have to be strong and keep paddling on. What ever happens to you is out of your hands. You just have to deal with the situation as it arises.

You might be lucky and not experience really bad WDS. It all depends on your biological make up. I'm not lucky in that area. Still, it can be done. I just listen to my body, cut every 8 weeks and keep going.

Be strong, patient, brave and beleive in your self.

You can do this and it is a long term process it does not happen overnight.

I wish you healing, health and happiness.

Take care, Hopefull. :)

DRUG HISTORY:

Thanks, Hopefull.  Am getting ready for the long haul.  1 week since dc mirt and wd is mild with low body aches but strong abdominal cramps.  I will survive what will come ...

I must.

PAST

CURRENT

You will. You can do it. :)

DRUG HISTORY: