Hopefull: suffering from PGAD

Hopefull

• Moderator Emeritus

That's good news Hopefull , well done for finding him.

You're right about the CES therapy helping me - I did another decrement (my new word) and again NO w/d

symptoms. Sitting pretty on 33mg now.

I've started using essential oils after reading Dr Anne Blake Tracy's recommendations for using them during and

after ssri withdrawal , to help the brain heal and rebalance.

Something you might want to consider?

I want to put a smile here by my emoticons have disappeared. Hope this works , lol.

;)

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Hi lovley Fresh,

I read on your thread about essential oils and I am going to try it. Which one do you recommend? Which one works the best?

I am truly happy for you. I have been thinking about CES therapy for a while.

I just changed my health insurance, have to wait 2 months.

If inositol does not work for me, than I would definitely consider CES therapy.

The fact that you have not had major wd symptoms since using CES therapy is encouraging. Last 3 weeks have been hard. I am not sleeping well. I have been anxious. Could it be wd symptoms as well?

I am currently on 6 mg. Have been on this dose since end of April. I will hold this week and make a cut next week.

Fresh , can you please tell me if CES has helped with anxiety? Are you sleeping better? Thank you for always being there for me. Hugs, Hopefull.

DRUG HISTORY:

November 2013- Zoloft, ( Bad reaction).

January 2014 - March 2014 Seroquel.( Quit Cold Turkey).

January2014- Mirtazapine, I was taking 15mg at one stage, reduced to 7.5mg, Pgad reactions to Mirtazapine. Doctor kept increasing it to 37.5mg, until July 2014. No improvement, experiencing panic attacks, on 37.5 mg. I had enough by October 2014. Began tapering.

October 2014- Started tapering Mirtazapine from 37.5mg.

September 2015- Down to 4mg of Mirtazapine. Crashed.

September 16th- Up dosed to 5mg. Held this dose for almost 5 months. Stabilised.

February 2016- Began tapering again. From 5mg to 4.5mg of Mirtazapine. (Rocking the boat, again)! Lol. :(

• Moderator Emeritus

Do you think if you hold longer the anxiety might diminish? It's always good to go into a decrement

as stable as possible.

It's either the CES or the fact that I'm on a lower dose now , but I'm just not anxious any more. And

as i improve I worry less about my future , which was always something that frightened me.

Maybe not-anxious is what a well Fresh looks like?

Best oils for anxiety are bergamot , boronia , chamomile ,geranium , jasmine ,lavender , marjoram ,melissa ,

neroli , rose , sandalwood and wattle. You could try a "relaxing" blend.

Lavender is the only one you can apply directly (say to soles of feet or scalp), all others need to be

mixed with a carrier oil or can be used in a diffuser.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

That is great Fresh.

I worry about the future too.

Glad that you are not anxious any more.

I have slept a bit better for the last 3 days. I will hold until next week and make a cut to 5mg.

Will try the oils. Hopefull :)

DRUG HISTORY:

January2014- Mirtazapine, I was taking 15mg at one stage, reduced to 7.5mg, Pgad reactions to Mirtazapine. Doctor kept increasing it to 37.5mg, until July 2014. No improvement, experiencing panic attacks, on 37.5 mg. I had enough by October 2014. Began tapering.

September 16th- Up dosed to 5mg. Held this dose for almost 5 months. Stabilised.

February 2016- Began tapering again. From 5mg to 4.5mg of Mirtazapine. (Rocking the boat, again)! Lol. :(

Hey Hopeful, thanks for stopping on my thread it is appreciated. It's great that you are going to try essential oil but I would recommend to do some research before using them because they might be risky and potent when not used properly. I use lavender oil directly to my skin and I must say that it does work on relaxing me and taking the edge off plus it has a nice smell. Wish you a tolerable taper and remember slow and steady wins the race.

Celexa 20mg 2008-2012 for Social Anxiety

Failed attempt to stop reinstated

1 year taper skipping doses

Celexa free 12/2013

1/2014-5/2014 took 5 htp every other day

Failed Reinstatement 5mg of Celexa on 12/2014 for 5 days only

You are very welcome Purplestars 22.

I will do my research.When I was much younger I was very much into aromatherapy.

I had books, oils. I have forgoten how it all works. I will try lavender since you can apply directly to the skin.

Thank you for stopping by my thread. Cheers hopefull. :)

DRUG HISTORY:

• Moderator Emeritus

Hopefull, hi.

thank you so much for stopping by my thread and taking the time to read it. i'm especially grateful if it has given you some hope - which you rightly should have.

You asked:

"Can you please tell me during your taper of Mitrazapine, did you ever experience worsening anxiety as Mirtazapine left your body? I have been experiencing this latley. I will feel worse towards the end of the day as Mirtazapine left the body, and feel better after I take the dose. I feel like a drug addict. This makes me feel scared, how I am going to free myself from this poison."

so, i'm currently on 1.9mg of mirtazapine, and this still happens to me for a short while when i make a cut. i have always pictured it as our body saying "hey, i'm getting short-changed on this drug!" and then a feeling, almost like a craving, sets in. maybe craving is the wrong word. but for me, it always manifests as a higher level of anxiety and sometimes co-arrising depression. but usually more along the anxiety scale. and it happens, as for you, towards the end of the day. as if the 10% cut gets chopped right off the end of the day. lovely. but it balances out.

this didn't happen to me all along. i don't recall it happening when i would cut at the very high doses. it has been for me, a phenomena of the lower doses - probably 7mg and below. sometimes it doesn't happen when i cut and i feel like a total lucky duck. but i would say that more often than not, it visits at some point during a cut.

i hope this is useful to you, my friend. hang in there.

dave

1996 - .5mg Ativan as needed, 7.5mg Remeron daily2008 - .5mg Xanax, Ativan discontinued, Remeron continued2012 - .5mg Xanax, .25mg Ativan 3x daily, Remeron continued2/2012 - Jumped from Remeron, continued .5mg Xanax .25mg Ativan 3x daily4/2012 - Began rapid taper of .5mg Xanax .25mg Ativan 3x daily6/2012 - Jumped from Xanax and Ativan, voluntary hospitalization followed7/2012 - 2nd voluntary hospitalization, reinstated Remeron, bumped to 30mg, also given risperidone.8/2012 - discontinued risperidone, tried gabapentin, dicontinued gabapentin, Remeron 30mg continued10/2012 to current - tapered Remeron 10% every 4 to 6 weeks (sometimes more time) using liquid compound12/2014 - 2mg Remeron 1/16/2015 - 1.9mg Remeron 8/1/2015 -1.6mg Remeron - 03/1/2016 - 1.5mg Remeron - 1/2/2017 1.3mg - 5/7/2017 1.2mg - 5/13/2017 - syringe size change - 6/8/2017 - 1.1mg - 7/10/2017 - 1mg - 9/1/2017 - 0.9mg - 10/22/2017 - 0.8mg - 11/22/2017 - 0.7mg - 2/2/2018 - 0.6mg - 3/13/2018 - new compound pharmacy - 5/20/2018 - 0.5mg - 8/31/2018 - 0.4mg - 11/16/2018 - 0.3mg - 12/24/2018 - 0.2mg - 4/1/2019 - 0.1mg - 5/1/2019 - .05mg - 0mg achieved 2019-06-15. 🤞

Thank you Dave for stopping by my thread to answer my question. I really appreciate it.

I am currently on 6mgs of Mitrazapine.

I have noticed , "cravings ",lately. Like you, I did not feel it when I cut down from higher dose. My symptoms also manifest as higer anxiety, depression.

When I take a "hit", I feel better.

Terrible, but I hope it will ease as I get off Mirtazapine safety.

I have started taking Inositol, still early days to see if it works for anxiety.

Wishing you the best, Hopefull. :)

DRUG HISTORY:

I just stumbled across a very interesting website examine.com.suppliments.

Not sure how to copy the link.

Google, examine supplements and the website will come up.

It has interesting review about inositol trial studies and other suppliments.

DRUG HISTORY:

Hi fellow Aussie. Just stopping in to offer some support . Good luck with the inositol. I will have to look it up. :)

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Thank you Ali G. The same too you.

If you are interested in trying Inositol,

You can buy pure pharmaceutical grade Myo-Inositol,from GO VITA health food shop.

The brand that they stock is Healthwise.

You can buy direct from them too, www.healthwise.com.au.

Phone:(07) 5450 8266. It is a Qeensland based company. So far I have not had a bad reaction to inositol. I only take small amount and will build it up over time.

Not sure if it is doing anything as yet.

Thank you for stopping by my thread Ali G.

DRUG HISTORY:

Thanks Hopeful. Inositol, keeps popping up, but I can't quite work it out.  Please let me / us know how you go , with it .  I can't quite work out what it does, although I'm "curious".  Are you trying the aromatherapy / essential oils?     Love your "butterfly", and the "meaning" behind it.  Let's hope we all "emerge" from our " cocoon", at some point.  Thanks for the links.  I'm happy you have such a short "drug history". I think you'll be fine. :)

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Hi AliG,

Inositol is supposed to help with Anxiety, Panic, OCD etc. If you get a chance google examine.com.suppliments. I will try to paste the link. Not sure how to copy it from my phone. I will keep you updated inregards to Inositol. Right now I am only taking small amount, 1 teaspoon.

I will build it up to 4 teaspoon's a day.

I hope it works. How are you doing?

I hope that all of us emerge from our cocoons, as beautiful butterflies. Finally free to live our lives in emotional peace.

Until then, soldier on soldier! :)

DRUG HISTORY:

We will "emerge", from our "cocoons, as beautiful butterflies".   :)

...ready to fly freely, without fear.

Prescribed:

Sertraline HCl (Zoloft) (25 mg - 1 pill) for anxiety - took from October 2012 to September 2013; tapered over the last month or so with the smallest dose being approximately quarter of a pill/6.25 mg

Trazodone (50 mg) for sleep/anxiety - took from September 2012 to February (roughly) 2013, then 25 mg from March 2013 through August 2013; tapered over 3-4 weeks or so over the last month of consumption

Zolpidem tartrate (Ambien) (10 mg) for sleep "as needed" - only took three of these total (terrible rebound anxiety the next day)

Hi Hopefull just thought I'd stop in and see how you're going, it's been a while.

Sounds like your definitely in a better place and on the mend.

Take care

Broken

December 2008 Prescribed 20mg citalopram (celexa) for depression and OCD.July 2013 stopped taking citalopram (celexa). November 2013 reinstated citalopram (celexa) following replapse at 20mg for 4 weeks, 40mg for 4 weeks and tapered off over 4 weeks as my condition had deteriorated. February 2014 started 20mg of fluoxetine (prozac). Didn't tolerate it and stopped 4 weeks later, experienced no withdrawal. May 2014 started 25mg of sertraline (zoloft), increased to 50mg after 1 week. Remained at 50mg for 4 weeks before increasing to 100mg at the request of my psychiatrist despite advising of suicidal ideation for an additional week before stopping. Advised to drop to 50mg for 3 days before withdrawing altogether. I did as advised and horrendous withdrawal ensued. 11th August 2014 commenced escitalopram (lexapro), weaned off end of October 2014. Commenced Clonazepam December 2014 0.5mg twice daily, switched to Diazepam 10mg twice daily with a view to tapering of the benzodiazepine altogether. Tapering schedule presently at a reduction of 1mg of Diazepam every 1-2 weeks depending upon side effects. So far experienced no severe physical side effects except worsening of PGAD symptoms upon reduction which does seem to improve within a few days of doing so. Presently taking no antidepressants however still experiencing mild agitation, severe depression and PGAD which is currently being treated by a physiotherapist.

As you can see from my avatar I'm still having trouble getting that golf ball to go home!

December 2008 Prescribed 20mg citalopram (celexa) for depression and OCD.July 2013 stopped taking citalopram (celexa). November 2013 reinstated citalopram (celexa) following replapse at 20mg for 4 weeks, 40mg for 4 weeks and tapered off over 4 weeks as my condition had deteriorated. February 2014 started 20mg of fluoxetine (prozac). Didn't tolerate it and stopped 4 weeks later, experienced no withdrawal. May 2014 started 25mg of sertraline (zoloft), increased to 50mg after 1 week. Remained at 50mg for 4 weeks before increasing to 100mg at the request of my psychiatrist despite advising of suicidal ideation for an additional week before stopping. Advised to drop to 50mg for 3 days before withdrawing altogether. I did as advised and horrendous withdrawal ensued. 11th August 2014 commenced escitalopram (lexapro), weaned off end of October 2014. Commenced Clonazepam December 2014 0.5mg twice daily, switched to Diazepam 10mg twice daily with a view to tapering of the benzodiazepine altogether. Tapering schedule presently at a reduction of 1mg of Diazepam every 1-2 weeks depending upon side effects. So far experienced no severe physical side effects except worsening of PGAD symptoms upon reduction which does seem to improve within a few days of doing so. Presently taking no antidepressants however still experiencing mild agitation, severe depression and PGAD which is currently being treated by a physiotherapist.

Hi Broken,

Thank you for stopping by. I am good.

Some days can be a bit tricky. But pretty good. I have too say that I am very disappointed with the law in this country.

I finally picked up the courage and contacted a lawyer. I was told that it would be hard to prove that my doctor was negligent and that it is hard to know how someone is going to react to a particular medication. PGAD is a rare side affect from SSRI's. So disappointed! I might try the health commission. How are you Broken? Still struggling, I gather. I am taking Inositol, it seems to be helping.

I will let you know in a month time if inositol is really helping. I hope you are all hanging in there. There is no justice for us.

DRUG HISTORY:

It seems that Inositol is helping with the anxiety and wd symptoms. I am sleeping better and feel more calm. I am only taking 1 teaspoon of Inositol. I did try taking 1 teaspoon 2x a day. I felt it was a bit much for me for the time being. I will stay on this dose for a while before increasing the dose. I hope this information helps someone. Listen to your body.

DRUG HISTORY:

Hey Hopeful, glad you are doing good and hopefully inositol keeps working for you.

Celexa free 12/2013

Thank you, Purplestars22. I hope all is well with you. :)

DRUG HISTORY:

• 2 weeks later...

Last night I experienced andrenneline surge, which I have not had for a long time. I am really disheartened, as it immediately remminds me of the wd agony that I went through at the beginning of this journey.

I thought this was all behind me and that I have finally moved on. Why does this happen? Can someone please explain why do we get the andrenneline surges while on ad and tappering off ad? Trying to explain it to a doctor is futile. It does not feel like a panic attack. I don't get the palpitations, just sudden surge of andrenneline, burning through arms legs, pins and needles. I wonder whether the Inositol powder is adding fuel to the fire? I sometimes worry if I am going to continue to experience surges even if I get off Mirtazapine. I feel so abnormal when this happens and feel like I have gone to square one. The process of healing from Ad's is so hard to understand, just when I think that I have made progress, bam back to being reminded of the hell I went through. What this poison does to the brain is hard to accept and comprihend. Is it common to experience reoccurring symptoms even if you did not have it for a while. I have been going through this for 20 months. Is there an end in sight. Feel like quitting cold turkey, but my common sence tells me to keep going and tappering slowly. I just want to feel like my old self again. Thank you,Hopefull.

DRUG HISTORY:

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Hopeful ,   do you think it's a response to a recent decrease?

Hope you're snuggly warm today ,   and hey , I was going to do a smiley face but they've disappeared again , ; (

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

Hi Fresh,

It could be. I don't know any more. I have been feeling really well, but the last couple of days not that great. I made a cut on 23rd of June. Maybe a small cut takes time for the brain to register the difference. How are you feeling? It is really cold tonight! 2 degrees! How about you? Snow in NSW regional area, even QLD! :)

Fresh, thank you for being my nightess in a shining armor! You always make me feel better! :) Sending lots of smileys your way! :) :) :)

Hope all is well your way! Hugs, Hopefull! :)

DRUG HISTORY:

• Administrator

Hopefull, I'm sure you know this topic well The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi Altostrata,

I know the topic and I have read through it. I know that I am feeling residual symptoms. Waves are shorter and windows longer. It is really frustrating to experience a wd symptom that I thought was gone for good. I know that it is a long healing process but frustrating. I am better than I was 20 months ago. I try to keep this in mind. I hope that eventually the residual symptoms will subside and I will feel normal again. Thank you for the support. I am trying to be positive and keep going. :)

DRUG HISTORY:

Hey hopeful, you have a positive outlook and that will help you heal. Keep going, take one day at a time.

Celexa free 12/2013

Thank you, Purplestars22. I am trying. Can be a bit testing at times.

DRUG HISTORY:

I can identify with your frustration, Hope, as I am also experiencing a return of certain  symptoms, like burning, restless legs, insomnia and depression. I've also had the "adrenalin" surges, which are disconcerting, for sure.   It's the pattern of "withdrawal", and has to be endured , to get to the "other side", where we are free of these poisons , forever. Please don't think about going "cold turkey".  You are lucky that you know to taper, slowly. I wish I had known. Take it easy and be patient. You will get there.  :)

Thank you, AliG. It is frustrating. How do you cope when you experience, anrenalin surge?

Have you tried listening to nature sounds to help you sleep?

I practice mindfulness before bed time. Sometimes I fall asleep before finishing the meditation. It helps to calm me down.

I also listen to nature sounds on you tube and fall asleep.

I hope that you are feeling better.

I found that inositol and mirtz taken 2-3 hours appart made me sleepy.

I experienced more hot flashes while taking Inositol. I have experienced hot flashes on Mitrazapine too. I have stopped taking Inositol over a week ago. No hot flashes. Will try again next week to see if it is from Inositol. I seem to have not much luck with suppliments. Blah! :)

DRUG HISTORY:

AliG,

One day we will be free from ad poison.

Almost there! :)

DRUG HISTORY:

AliG,

Where do you experience burning? Chest, Mouth,Arms?

I used to experience burning in the chest, arms and tongue. Like my mouth was on fire. Cheers, Hopefull.

DRUG HISTORY:

• 2 weeks later...

Hopeful,  I just wanted to thank you for your encouraging words on my thread.

You haven't posted here for a while, and  I have just noticed that I didn't get back to you.  Sorry.

To answer your questions, I used to have the "adrenalin surges" both in the morning, and at night , as I was going to sleep. Fortunately, this symptom has gone, for now anyway.  The "burning" is in my legs, along with restless legs -  excruciating !!

I hope no updates , is a good sign that you're doing a little better. 

Hang in there.  :)   Hugs, Ali.

AliG, you are welcome!

The joys of coming off these drugs!

I hope that the restless legs and the burning sensation in your legs subside.

I have not had those dreadful andrinellin surges for a while, until Saturday night, while I was driving home with my kids in the car. When I came home, my anxiety was so bad, that I had gagging reflexes.

Until then, I was doing pretty well. I thought I was out of the woods.

How much more of this crap can one person endure? Seriously? Last Thursday I started to experience weird feelings in my head and then it subsided.

Then on Saturday I was perfectly fine, until that evening. I experienced horrible anxiety that was triggered by a thought, I couldn't wait to get home. My head felt so heavy with pressure, I felt nausiated. I woke up with a night sweat. Yesterday, I felt cold chills, heaviness, pressure in my head, tierdness, anxiety, like I am experiencing delayed wd symptoms.It is as if the anxiety brought on wd symptoms. Is this even possible? Really bizzar. I have experienced so much weird crap while coming of these drugs, that I don't have the words to even explain it.Yesterday I felt over stimulated by TV, phone. I have not had this symptom for a while. It is the return of the old symptoms that drive me nuts! Is there an end to this? I have been dealing with this for a long time,but I stil get overwhelmed with anxiety, my brain seems to react to silly thoughts, that previously were just thoughts. This is what drives me nuts. I can think of the same thought that I had on Saturday night and not have any physical reaction to it.

But other times my brain is doing stupid things. I did not have this prior to meds, and I find it hard to explain.

I am still hopefull that I can get of Mitrazapine.

DRUG HISTORY:

Have others experienced this symptom?

DRUG HISTORY:

• Moderator Emeritus

From my experience and what others have said , symptoms can be triggered by a whole range of things that "over-stimulate" us in one way or

another.  See Flowers post today about her reaction after a fireworks display/night out.

Think about what was going last wednesday/thursday and you may have your answer.

;)

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg