SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Hopefull: suffering from PGAD

Hopefull

Hi, Hopefull,

I was really sorry to read you were doing worse! I don't have any helpful suggestions, but I am thinking about you! Somehow or other, we will get through this!

LLiz

On 30 - 45 mg mirtazapine for more than 10 years.

Tapered mirtazapine, ziprasidone, and dextroamphetamine (both added at some point to reduce mirtazapine side effects) since August, 2012, one at a time. Stopped ziprasidone in 2012, dextroamphetamine in 2013, mirtazapine in 2016.

April 1 2015 dose: 0.29 mg.

May 1 2015 dose: 0.28 mg. Although holding for only 2 weeks so far, feeling much better!

June 1 2015 dose: 0.275 mg. Needed to start withdrawing again because of adverse drug effect.

July 1: 0.23 mg. Aug 1: 0.16 mg. Sept 1: 0.14 mg. Oct 1: 0.12 mg. March 10, 2016: 0.08 mg. March 20: 0 mg.

Hopeful,

You're such a " sweetie".    I wish you well.  :)   I agree with Fresh.  You can't hurry this.  It is what it is .  I can sense the  "anxiety " & " desperation ", however I don't think it will help.

You have to take a " breath",  and slow down.   I have come to the belief, that this whole thing, takes a lot of time.   More, than any of us has !!  ( to be honest). However, when the  " wind gets knocked out of your sails",  you just have to stop & " take a moment".   Regroup, and then " move on", in the best way that you can. You have to learn to be patient. This takes time. It's excruciating & painful.  In other words -  "torture".!!   However, we'll get through it.     Love, Ali.

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

• Moderator Emeritus

hopefull,

i'm glad you have stabilized to any degree by updosing to 5mg. it will come. but i am sorry you are suffering in the interim. we are here for you and thinking of you.

the amazing fresh mentioned "the big hold." not a bad idea at all, in my humble opinion. best not to rush.

hang in there,

dave

1996 - .5mg Ativan as needed, 7.5mg Remeron daily2008 - .5mg Xanax, Ativan discontinued, Remeron continued2012 - .5mg Xanax, .25mg Ativan 3x daily, Remeron continued2/2012 - Jumped from Remeron, continued .5mg Xanax .25mg Ativan 3x daily4/2012 - Began rapid taper of .5mg Xanax .25mg Ativan 3x daily6/2012 - Jumped from Xanax and Ativan, voluntary hospitalization followed7/2012 - 2nd voluntary hospitalization, reinstated Remeron, bumped to 30mg, also given risperidone.8/2012 - discontinued risperidone, tried gabapentin, dicontinued gabapentin, Remeron 30mg continued10/2012 to current - tapered Remeron 10% every 4 to 6 weeks (sometimes more time) using liquid compound12/2014 - 2mg Remeron 1/16/2015 - 1.9mg Remeron 8/1/2015 -1.6mg Remeron - 03/1/2016 - 1.5mg Remeron - 1/2/2017 1.3mg - 5/7/2017 1.2mg - 5/13/2017 - syringe size change - 6/8/2017 - 1.1mg - 7/10/2017 - 1mg - 9/1/2017 - 0.9mg - 10/22/2017 - 0.8mg - 11/22/2017 - 0.7mg - 2/2/2018 - 0.6mg - 3/13/2018 - new compound pharmacy - 5/20/2018 - 0.5mg - 8/31/2018 - 0.4mg - 11/16/2018 - 0.3mg - 12/24/2018 - 0.2mg - 4/1/2019 - 0.1mg - 5/1/2019 - .05mg - 0mg achieved 2019-06-15. 🤞

Hi guys,

I know I am beginning to sound like a broken record, but thank you for your kind words,from the bottom of my heart.

I have stabilized a bit. Feeling a bit better mentally. Still experiencing some weird crap. Slight pgad, etc.

It is just weird.

How long should I hold the 5mg dose?

3 months, 6 months?

Not knowing which way to go is so confusing.

Still worried whether I have permanent damage.

Fresh, I am doing the hyperbaric chamber therapy through the Melbourne Hypebaric Oxygen Therapies.

The same lady does the aroma therapy as well as the oxygen therapy.

It is expensive.

20 sessions coast approximately over $1,000 .

It is cheaper if you get a pass, then individual.

I am planning on doing an intense therapy, 3-4 sessions per week.

For couple of months.

A lot of money, hope it is worth it.

I will keep you updated as soon as I start.

I have been wanting to do this for a long time.

I did one session at the end of 2013, when I was in hell.

Stopped, too expensive.

I am not getting my hopes to high.

We will see.

Hugs to you all,

Thank you for thinking about me.

I wish you all the best.

Hugs, Hopefull. :)

DRUG HISTORY:

November 2013- Zoloft, ( Bad reaction).

January 2014 - March 2014 Seroquel.( Quit Cold Turkey).

January2014- Mirtazapine, I was taking 15mg at one stage, reduced to 7.5mg, Pgad reactions to Mirtazapine. Doctor kept increasing it to 37.5mg, until July 2014. No improvement, experiencing panic attacks, on 37.5 mg. I had enough by October 2014. Began tapering.

October 2014- Started tapering Mirtazapine from 37.5mg.

September 2015- Down to 4mg of Mirtazapine. Crashed.

September 16th- Up dosed to 5mg. Held this dose for almost 5 months. Stabilised.

February 2016- Began tapering again. From 5mg to 4.5mg of Mirtazapine. (Rocking the boat, again)! Lol. :(

Hello hopeful, are you still having that burning head feeling you said you were having when you posted in my thread?

(November 26 2013) Had a reaction to taking CBD oil and had a panic attack that started this whole thing.

(November 9 2014) 8.6 months on Mirtazapine, started tapering down random amounts.

(January 17 2015) *STOPPED TAKING MIRTAZAPINE* after an unstable 2 month taper.

(February 5 2015) *REINSTATED at 3.9 MG OF MIRTAZAPINE* after nearly 3 weeks of a very unstable windows and waves pattern

(February 5 2015 ) Felt better right away after reinstating, am more stable than i was at 0mg, but am still not as stable as i was PRE-TAPER.

(April 19 2015) After waiting around 2 months from Feb 5 and i started to feel ok enough, i reduced from 3.9 mg to 3.5 mg. then continued to reduce by about .4 mg every 2 or so weeks.

The reductions were going quite smoothly and i wasn't feeling too bad in general... until...

(July 13 2015) Shortly after reducing from 1.9 mg to 1.6 mg i hit a wall and my mood started to become noticeably worse in general

(August 4) after not really improving much i reduced from 1.6 mg to 1.5 mg, and i have been holding ever since.

I feel bad in general these days despite holding, and feel im not too much better than i was during January 17 to February 5 after jumping off at 4 MG.

I am questioning if taking the drug is actually making me worse, i dunno.

Hi Uselessspork,

Thank you for stopping by my thread.

The burning feeling has subsided.

I am slowly stabilizing on 5mg.

How are you doing?

How long have you been holding on your dose?

DRUG HISTORY:

January2014- Mirtazapine, I was taking 15mg at one stage, reduced to 7.5mg, Pgad reactions to Mirtazapine. Doctor kept increasing it to 37.5mg, until July 2014. No improvement, experiencing panic attacks, on 37.5 mg. I had enough by October 2014. Began tapering.

September 16th- Up dosed to 5mg. Held this dose for almost 5 months. Stabilised.

February 2016- Began tapering again. From 5mg to 4.5mg of Mirtazapine. (Rocking the boat, again)! Lol. :(

thats good hope :) i have been holding at 1.5 mg for about a month and a half now. and honestly im not doing so hot, buut im sure you already know that. we will get through this bullsh-it !

mirtazapine pals ;)

(November 26 2013) Had a reaction to taking CBD oil and had a panic attack that started this whole thing.

(November 9 2014) 8.6 months on Mirtazapine, started tapering down random amounts.

(February 5 2015) *REINSTATED at 3.9 MG OF MIRTAZAPINE* after nearly 3 weeks of a very unstable windows and waves pattern

(February 5 2015 ) Felt better right away after reinstating, am more stable than i was at 0mg, but am still not as stable as i was PRE-TAPER.

(April 19 2015) After waiting around 2 months from Feb 5 and i started to feel ok enough, i reduced from 3.9 mg to 3.5 mg. then continued to reduce by about .4 mg every 2 or so weeks.

The reductions were going quite smoothly and i wasn't feeling too bad in general... until...

(July 13 2015) Shortly after reducing from 1.9 mg to 1.6 mg i hit a wall and my mood started to become noticeably worse in general

(August 4) after not really improving much i reduced from 1.6 mg to 1.5 mg, and i have been holding ever since.

I feel bad in general these days despite holding, and feel im not too much better than i was during January 17 to February 5 after jumping off at 4 MG.

Thank you so much for your encouraging words, Mitrazapine friend. :)

We will get through this Uselessspork !

One foot at the time!

I probably hold 5mg for at least 3-4 months.

I would love to have, "normal ", x-mas and new year, for a change.

I have not been able to enjoy festive season for the last 2 years!

I am going to have a tappering holiday for a while.

I hope things keep on stabilizing.

DRUG HISTORY:

Don't worry, my last 2 xmas's and summers have been messed up -.-

so you arent alone

Today has been a really crappy day.

Had a disturbing dream last night.

Feeling really bad.

Yesterday I had a window of normality.

Today contemplating what to do.

I'm not sure how much of this I can take.

I am experiencing some of the old wd symptoms.

I thought I was making progress.

Since 13th of September things have just gone down the hill.

I am still on 5mg since 16th of September.

I am not seeing linear stabilization.

How long should I give 5mg a go to see if I stabilize? 2 more weeks?

If I don't stabilize do I go up to 6mg?

Sometimes I just want to CT.

Check my self into the hospital and CT.

I just want to feel normal again.

DRUG HISTORY:

aww sorry to hear its so sh*tty for you atm. i have been having those exact same thoughts and feelings lately, it seems we are both pretty destabilized.
 Not much i can really say besides you arent alone in this. i feel like CT'ing all the time, but i tell myself that it wont help me at all at the current moment.

hang in there hope

Hi Hopeful,

24 th  Sept . you said you were stabilizing !!

You said  , Yesterday, you had a " window of normality " .     I think you are making progress, & just because you have some of your old withdrawal symptoms, is no reason to panic.   You're probably just having a " moment", as we all do !   :) 

Speaking from experience, C/T is no way , to feel " normal" again.  In fact, it's just the opposite !!   Just , try and be patient.    Hang in there.    Love,  Ali. 

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Thank you guys.

I'm having a moment. I'm desperate for stability. As you both know how hard that is.

It is the "yo-yo " thing that is hard to take.

I used to see a pattern now I see nothing.

I am still hanging in there.

My patience is wearing thin.

But I am trying.

Thank you for your encouragement.

DRUG HISTORY:

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Hopefull,

I'm sorry you're struggling at the moment. I looked back through your thread a bit to try and find out what your current situation is, I'm assuming you updosed recently?

Please would you add a little more detail to your signature, it would make it easier for us to understand what's going on.

I am not seeing linear stabilization.
How long should I give 5mg a go to see if I stabilize? 2 more weeks?
If I don't stabilize do I go up to 6mg?

What dose were you at prior to 5mg and how long for? When did you updose to 5mg?

Stabilization rarely happens in a linear way, whether you have made a cut, updosed or gone CT, see: The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Hang in there Hopefull. Praying for you.

Prozac 1999-2009 quit semi cold turkey.

2012 Placed on Seroquel 25 mg, Tranxene (Clorezepate) 3.75 mg 3x a day, Remeron 30 mg for anxiety/akathesia.

Weaned off Seroquel and Tranxene .to Remeron 15 Mg.

In May 2014 tried quitting Remeron at its lowest dose. Had severe withdrawals.Reinstated Remeron at 30 mg by doctor. August 5 2014 entered hospital. Doctor pulled the Remeron and bridged it to Pamelor (Nortriptyline) 40mg and Zyprexa 2.5mg.After removing the Remeron all my bad symptoms went away and I am stable.

9/11/14 - 7.5 mg tranxene, 40mg Pamelor, Zyprexa 2.5mg

12/29/14 -  20mg Pamelor, 1/6/15,  7/31/15 3.5mg, 8/10/15 3.2 mg, 9/15/15 2.2mg, 10/15/15 1.8mg

(Feb 2016 - 1.4mg Pamelor only -  OFF OF TRANXENE AND ZYPREXA SINCE DEC 2014 BENZO FREE Since 2014. Nortrityline (Pamelor) .8mg Aug 2016

March 2017 DRUG FREE

Thank you Chicken and Petunia.

Chicken thank you for your kind words. Thank you for thinking of me.

Hope you are doing well.

I will update my signature as soon as I can. I use my phone. Not sure if I can update signature on the phone.

Just a quick note to Petunia. Thank you for stopping by my thread and offering support.

I was on 5 mg and dropped to 4mg on 18th of August.

13th of September, wd symptoms set in, return of Zoloft symptoms.

16th of September, I went back to 5mg.

I have been on 5mg since.

I have stabilized somewhat, not great.

One day good, the next day not good.

Mixed state. I have moments when I feel like my old self, then I revert.

It is like my brain does not know which way to go.

It is frustrating.

I kick my self for not staying put for a while on 5mg. I have to look through my thread to see when I changed to 5mg. But I did stay on it for at least 6 weeks.

Not sure what to do now. Stay on 5mg for a while, see if I completely stabilize.

If not, what then?

Can 1mg make a difference?

What should I expect from an updose?

Does it take a while to stabilize?

I have not updosed once since last October.

Prior to October of last year, my pdoc had me on a roller coaster ride with Mitrazapine. Up down, down then back up.

No wonder things are catching up with me.

I had clear pattern when tappering.

Big cuts were hard. Lower cuts were easier.

I would cut, feel better, 2-3 weeks wd sets in. 3-4 weeks recovery process.

Then repeat the process.

I felt better with every drop.

I had setbacks along the way. I handled it well.

The latest drop did me in.

Very disheartened that some of the old symptoms returned.

Is this common?

Has this happened to others?

I am having a hard time accepting this.

I really thought I was on my way to recovery and the worst was over.

I don't know if the medication is making me worse or better.

Thank you, Hopefull.

DRUG HISTORY:

Hopeful,

Sorry your having a rough time. What are your symptoms?

Hope you feel better,

Tgirl

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

June 2014 abilify 2.5 remeron wasn't working so abilify was then added

September 2014 woke up with anxiety x 100!!!!

Pdoc then took me from 45 to 7.5 within a month and took abilify from 2.5 to 0

Currently

Remeron 7.5

Vitamin d 5,000 iu taking for about 3 years

October 2014 added fish oil/omega 3 1000 mg per day

Levothyroxitine 100 10 years or so

Dec 2014 started tapering 10% every 10 days-no problems.

August 2015 down to 0.1 mg

Woke up with severe anxiety-sleep issues-racing thoughts-depression. 9/9/15 up dose 1 mg.

Hi Tgirl,

How are you doing?

My main symptoms are mild PGAD symptoms, anxiety, warped dreams, OCD.

Not long after I take Mitrazapine, I experience weird symptoms. Weird sensation in my legs.

mild PGAD in my sleep. Really weird distressing.

That is why I want to CT. But I know if I do PGAD symptoms will really flare up.

Instability, etc.

Not sure what to do.

PGAD symptoms come and go.

DRUG HISTORY:

Hopeful,

Please don't jump. I know it's taxing( I know). It will get better.

I had my first window today! I did! I felt 90%.

I'll take it even though I was too tired to TRUELY enjoy it. But, I hD one and for that I'm grateful. I even watched tv! Small victory, but a victory, none the less;)

Hope your symptoms go away,

Tgirl

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

Currently

Remeron 7.5

Woke up with severe anxiety-sleep issues-racing thoughts-depression. 9/9/15 up dose 1 mg.

Hi Hopefull, thank you so much for posting on my thread. It means a lot...

I also don't know any more if the medication is making me better or worse. But I'm struggling terribly.

One thing for sure: receptors in the brain must get used to the current dose....

Also experiencing anxiety, OCD (rituals) and being non functional. Insomnia on top of it...

Not sure about this PGAD thing - isn't it your libido returning to its former (pre-SSRI) state? They didn't classify as a mental disease in the DSM... Maybe Sandra Leiblum (the inventor of this term) wasn't so right after all? Maybe it partly belongs to the OCD category...

Have been wondering about it, just a guess...

Hugs, Mel

1990-1992 Anafranil. OCD under control, extreme social phobia. Hospitalized for the 1st and 2nd time (out of 3). 1999-2002: Prozac 20 mg. Stopped due to severe anxiety. Increased benzo consumption. 2003-2005: AD free (therapy). Feeling good, started working. Persisted 9 yrs in full-time job. 2005-2007: Ixel (milnacipran). SNRI. 2007-2011: Lexapro 10-15 mg. Fatigue and anxiety. Mania. Insomnia. Acne. Shopoholism. Polydrugging with different meds. 2011-2013: Effexor 37,5-150 mg (mostly 75 mg). SNRI. Fatigue and depression, terrible acne with scars, now gone. April 2013: Wellbutrin 150 mg. Hot flashes, extreme appetite, aggression. May 2013 - May 2014: Prozac - from 10 mg to 0 mg, very harsh taper. Functioning great but EXTREME ANXIETY. From May 2014: tried different ADs to replace Prozac, nothing worked, terrible side effects (Seroxat, Zoloft, Luvox, Brintellix, Doxepin, Trazodone). May 2014 back to benzos (Valium) in hope of improvement, aggravated depression and anxiety. Sept. 2014: Lexapro 2,5 mg, highest dose 5 mg for 1,5 months (Spring 2015). Steady decline, anxiety, fatigue. Diagnosed with OCD, dysthymia, social phobia, anxiety disorder, insomnia, eating disorder (first bulimia, then anorexia). Current meds: Seroquel 6,25 mg for sleep - 5 mg since Nov. 5, 2015. Lexapro 1,25 mg since Aug. 4th 2015. Valium, Ambien prn, tapering. http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9984-melanie-should-i-reinstate-lexapro/

Hi Mel,

You are welcome. Sorry to hear that you are struggling to cope. I know how hard this is. OCD is not fun.

Are you seeing a therapist?

Do you think that the therapy works?

For me PGAD is the result of bad reaction to Zoloft, after only 3 tablets.

I have been struggling since. I have not had any PGAD symptoms since last December.

Only recently since the last cut.

I have never experienced anything like this prior to Zoloft. I did not know that this existed.

Did not know it was humanly possible.

I'm not the only one that got PGAD from SSRI's, Zoloft.

There are few other members that got this thanks to SSRI'S.

I was really unlucky and now I am paying the price. I'm still hopefull that I will stabilize.

PGAD can emerge as a reaction to or discontinuation of SSRI's.

It is considered rare, but I think that it is a more common side effects of the SSRI's. People don't report it, because they feel embarrassed to do so.

DRUG HISTORY:

Hi Hopefull, I replied in the PM, thought it was the forum...

Hugs, Mel

1990-1992 Anafranil. OCD under control, extreme social phobia. Hospitalized for the 1st and 2nd time (out of 3). 1999-2002: Prozac 20 mg. Stopped due to severe anxiety. Increased benzo consumption. 2003-2005: AD free (therapy). Feeling good, started working. Persisted 9 yrs in full-time job. 2005-2007: Ixel (milnacipran). SNRI. 2007-2011: Lexapro 10-15 mg. Fatigue and anxiety. Mania. Insomnia. Acne. Shopoholism. Polydrugging with different meds. 2011-2013: Effexor 37,5-150 mg (mostly 75 mg). SNRI. Fatigue and depression, terrible acne with scars, now gone. April 2013: Wellbutrin 150 mg. Hot flashes, extreme appetite, aggression. May 2013 - May 2014: Prozac - from 10 mg to 0 mg, very harsh taper. Functioning great but EXTREME ANXIETY. From May 2014: tried different ADs to replace Prozac, nothing worked, terrible side effects (Seroxat, Zoloft, Luvox, Brintellix, Doxepin, Trazodone). May 2014 back to benzos (Valium) in hope of improvement, aggravated depression and anxiety. Sept. 2014: Lexapro 2,5 mg, highest dose 5 mg for 1,5 months (Spring 2015). Steady decline, anxiety, fatigue. Diagnosed with OCD, dysthymia, social phobia, anxiety disorder, insomnia, eating disorder (first bulimia, then anorexia). Current meds: Seroquel 6,25 mg for sleep - 5 mg since Nov. 5, 2015. Lexapro 1,25 mg since Aug. 4th 2015. Valium, Ambien prn, tapering. http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9984-melanie-should-i-reinstate-lexapro/

• Moderator Emeritus

Here we go Hopefull . . . a legal class action made for you (Zoloft).  The lawyer is Tony , from Australian Taxpayers  Against Fraud ,

who you spoke with.

xxx

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/drayton-sher-lawyers-set-to-launch-class-action-against-manufacturers-of-ssri-antidepressants-including

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

I can't get the link to work , sorry. The Daily Telegraph keeps asking me to subscribe ,lol.   This is the article: 

Dreyton Sher Lawyers Set to Launch Class Action Against Manufacturers of SSRI Antidepressants Including

Zoloft and Aropax

A SYDNEY law firm is preparing to launch a class action against the manufacturers of a range of antidepressants it ­believes do not issue sufficient warnings about several dangerous side effects, ­including suicidal thoughts.

Drayton Sher Lawyers has been in contact with dozens of people from across the nation — including many in NSW — who say they were not advised that consuming certain types of SSRI antidepressants would cause them to become ­aggressive and spark suicidal thoughts.

The class of drugs is used to treat depression, anxiety, ­obsessive-compulsive disorders and post-traumatic stress.

They are manufactured by a range of major pharmaceutical companies including Pfizer (Zoloft) and GlaxoSmithKline (Aropax, Paxil), which both ­declined to comment on the claims when contacted by The Daily Telegraph.

The legal firm says it will argue the drugs were marketed to doctors on the basis of flawed research that downplays the risks of suicide and other serious side effects.

It also claims “selective ­research” was used to show the medications are effective in treating depression.

Lawyer Tony Nikolic said any ­compensation would rely on the number of people who joined the action and the nature of their individual cases.

Mr Nikolic said he had been contacted by people all over the country who had been ­prescribed the drugs, as well as parents concerned about their children’s use.

“We need the community to know about the potential dangers of it,” he said

It follows a University of Adelaide study, released last month, which found no advantages but some worrying side effects for depressed adolescents taking paroxetine, found in Aropax and Paxil. The research re-examined a previous study, funded by GlaxoSmithKline, which had found paroxetine was safe and effective.

Critical and Ethical Mental Health Research Group Professor Jon Jureidini said: “It wasn’t until the data was made available for re-examination that it became apparent that paroxetine was linked to ­serious adverse reactions, with 11 of the patients taking paroxetine engaging in suicidal or self-harming behaviours ­compared with only one ­person in the group of patients who took the placebo.”

He added: “Our study also revealed that paroxetine was no more effective at relieving the symptoms of depression than a placebo.”

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Hi Hopeful,

I'm sorry you're struggling, at the moment.   

However, like Petu said, stabilization rarely happens in a linear way.   No matter whether you made a cut / updosed or  gone C /T.  I'm  nearly 17 months off. C/T. and still experiencing quite severe de-stabilization, at various times. 

I certainly don't think C /T is the way to go, when you know better.  I wish I had known. 

Hang in there.

Hugs,

Ali.

Thank you Fresh and AliG.

It is about time that someone stood up to pharmaceutical companies and the damage this causes to people's health.

I have been feeling better for the last 2 days.

I hope it continues this way. Must be a window period.

I went for a walk today too. 2 days in a row, feel much better.

Enjoyed the sunshine.

Still on 5mg of Mitrazapine.

I only feel like CT-ing when things are down.

I'm going to have to continue to tapper slowly.

I appreciate your support.

Thank you, Hopefull. :)

DRUG HISTORY:

I started Hyperbaric Chamber Therapy yesterday.

I have to admit that I freeked out at first being confined in a small chamber, but I managed to do it for almost 1 hour and 30 min.

Don't ask me how I did it.

I am doing it again today. :)

DRUG HISTORY:

Hopeful,

Do you feel a difference?

You go girl!

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

Currently

Remeron 7.5

I started Hyperbaric Chamber Therapy yesterday.

I have to admit that I freeked out at first being confined in a small chamber, but I managed to do it for almost 1 hour and 30 min.

Don't ask me how I did it.

I am doing it again today. :)

Just stopping by to say hello. I'll reply to you soon, I'm in a very bad shape currently.

Tend to isolate and become autistic when I feel like this.

It's great you're being active. Keep going Hopefull.

Let's believe the Hyperbaric Chamber Therapy helps to alleviate your symptoms.

x Mel

Hi Mel and Tgirl,

I have done sessions, approximately 4 1/2 hours.

I think that it is helping, but I am not sure.

Still early days.

I will keep doing it, and see if it helps.

I have overcome my fear of the chamber. If only I could conquer my anxiety and wd symptoms and all the BS, I have gone through because of the drugs.

I will keep you posted.

Sorry to hear that you are not doing well at the moment Mel.

Don't give up.

Take one day at a time.

I want to see what the future holds for me.

If I will recover or I have permanent damage.

Today I had a set back. Zoloft keeps haunting me.

I saw a new psychiatrist yesterday.

She never heard of the reaction that I had from Zoloft.

But she is willing to help me find a specialist that can help me.

I am hoping that I can find someone that can help me.

DRUG HISTORY:

Hopeful,

Glad you were able to get over your fear of the chamber. Hope it works out for you!

Also, hope the new specialist can help you. That would be awesome!

Tgirl

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

Currently

Remeron 7.5

Hi Mel and Tgirl,

I have done sessions, approximately 4 1/2 hours.

I think that it is helping, but I am not sure.

Still early days.

I will keep doing it, and see if it helps.

I have overcome my fear of the chamber. If only I could conquer my anxiety and wd symptoms and all the BS, I have gone through because of the drugs.

I will keep you posted.

Sorry to hear that you are not doing well at the moment Mel.

Don't give up.

Take one day at a time.

I want to see what the future holds for me.

If I will recover or I have permanent damage.

Today I had a set back. Zoloft keeps haunting me.

I saw a new psychiatrist yesterday.

She never heard of the reaction that I had from Zoloft.

But she is willing to help me find a specialist that can help me.

I am hoping that I can find someone that can help me.

Hi Hopefull,

"One day at a time", or "Day by day" or "24 hrs a day". I'll surely do.

Glad you're being active and making progress.

You're a real fighter.

Be kind to yourself,

Mel

Thank you Mel,

You are a real fighter too.

I have to fight. I have my family to think of.

One day at the time! Hugs Hopefull.

DRUG HISTORY:

Hi Hopeful.

Just stopping by to " cheer you on".     :)    I'm pretty sure that you don't have " permanent damage". It just seems that way , at times, for all of us.   Can I ask what sort of " Specialist", you are looking for?

How was the new psychiatrist ?  I hope it worked out .

Hugs,

Ali.

Hi Hopefull, how are you doing? Is your PGAD now better when you updosed? It is funny I never got PGAD when I went down with the dose only when I went up. By me OCD is as as bad as ever, but reinstatement is for me not an option so I have to suffer ... I hope that once it will go away for us both. I wish you a nice monday, we are currently on the way to holiday with children - such a swimming holiday. Bye, bye

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-

symptoms OCD

Hi Martina and AliG,

Thank you for "cheering me on"! :)

I really appreciate it !

I am better, but still experiencing weird symptoms mainly at night.

Recently I had a panic attack that coincided with a nightmare.

I no longer get heart palpitations since the meds, only bad burning in the chest arms. Like someone has punched through a thin barrier! My chest feels like it is on fire.

I get weird dreams now and again.

It is not as bad as it used to be, but nevertheless it disturbs me.

I have not had any nightmares for a long

time, but since I crashed in September, it came back .

I'm am stabilizing, I can't say that I am completely stable, but I am doing better than when I crashed.

I will hold 5mg until I feel completely stable and then I will resume tappering.

My main concern /symptoms at the moment is the weird night symptoms, related to PGAD.

It is like I am reliving it in my dreams and it is so weird.

On Friday night, I kept waking up because of it. My brain is doing stupid things.

The next day I had a massive headache and felt awfully.

It is driving me nuts!

I don't have it every night.

I have started recording it.

It is frustrating to experience weird stuff, when it finally went away!

I hope that this is not permanent.

I am even thinking of going to the sleeping clinic to capture what my brain is doing, so that I have proof of what is going on.

I hope this is not permanent! Cheers, Hopefull! :)

DRUG HISTORY: