Razzle

Previous Anxiety Disorder

Razzle

I had a severe anxiety disorder in my early 20's and then recovered for decades. After benzos then the AD my nervous system would have longed for the old anxiety.

Since those of us with anxiety can get triggered from painful or strange symptoms and these drugs do all of that and more I would appreciate hearing from others with an anxiety history how you keep from spinning up into an anxiety state.

I saw myself do it last night. As my symptoms increased so did my anxiety and I went into a full blown feed-back loop.

Anxiety alone can be nearly as bad as a drug withdrawal and it certainly does not help the nervous system calm and heal

R

squirrel

i went on Paxil for panic attacks, which i would add were nothing compared to this hell. I too would like to know the answer.

Phil

Same with me - withdrawal is nothing compared to the social anxiety i originally went on meds for.

The way Im learning to deal with all my negative emotions is through acceptance. It doesnt mean I like or want these feelings, but I dont try to control them and get extra anxious about them. Trying to control emotions just leads to more stress.

Its a very hard lesson to learn, because my mind tends to naturally ruminate and worry about everything during w/d, so I have to keep distracting myself, and reminding myself to accept the feelings.

Punarbhava

Same with me - withdrawal is nothing compared to the social anxiety i originally went on meds for.

The way Im learning to deal with all my negative emotions is through acceptance. It doesnt mean I like or want these feelings, but I dont try to control them and get extra anxious about them. Trying to control emotions just leads to more stress.

Its a very hard lesson to learn, because my mind tends to naturally ruminate and worry about everything during w/d, so I have to keep distracting myself, and reminding myself to accept the feelings.

Excellent post Phil!

Resistence = increased stress = disempowerment

Acceptance = reduction of stress = empowerment

Pun

Razzle

Pun

How do you not have resistance when the symptoms are so severe you are holding on for your life - they are 24/7 and have gone on for years with no improvement. I am scared to face another day!!

bronxboy8

My symptoms are 24/7 for years to, when you get no relief at all it does become scary at times.